Why is wearing nappies considered to be socially unacceptable?

kronikmod said:
Just need a bigger push towards renewable resources, and take a leaf out of the Japanese playbook when it comes to disposal. Turn them into pellets than can be burned for every!

Burning stuff for energy is not bad, so long as there are appropriate systems in place for capturing and scrubbing the pollutants from the combustion byproducts before releasing back to the atmosphere.
Or maybe diapers that are completely made from 100% plant based materials and are 100% biodegradable

Honestly I dont think wearing nappies is the big deal it used to be. There are so many adverts on TV for incontinence products nowadays I think it is just being accepted.

It's kinda a hard area to tiptoe on. I'd say it's more of a there's a time and place for everything.

For instance, while you can wear a swimsuit anywhere near a beach or pool, just randomly wearing one in public might raise some eyebrows.

ABDL is just really a broad and diverse group of people, some do it for the regression, some legit medical, others for sexual.
If it's for medical, I doubt anyone would even bat an eye if you're wearing one because most likely, you wouldn't flunt it and purposely show it off to people. It is when you want others to indulge with your lifestyle that things gets a bit murky.
Then there's the whole consent thing, I mean the visual aspect of it is already a bit much for people the same way we don't see people just wearing underware, there's also the smell and sanitary part of it. While I respect everyone's right to do what they want, it's when you thread on other people is when things go south.
Imagine eating in a restaurant and some adult just soiled their diaper, it would be a different story if they have the decency to excuse themselves and get changed but what if they decide to sit on it for a while because they feel more babyish? Where do we even draw the line?

This is a conversation I feel like I have quite a bit of experience in having been diapered 24/7 since I was 11. Not usually me having to defend my diaper wearing, but my mom's putting up the defense for me. I have heard "she seems a bit old to still be in diapers" or "isn't she like 8 or 9, why is she still using a diaper?" It has usually happened at places like the park, or at social events that we are invited to and people don't know about my situation. Now please understand, it has never been much of an embarrassment that I still wear and use diapers, I have never really shied away from it, and have always been open about it (not that I just go around the neighborhood with only a diaper and onesie on). So, for me, running up to my mom on the park bench as she is chatting with another mom and saying, "hey mommy, I need a change," isn't something that I would avoid saying. In fact, I have done it many many times. This either usually garners a strange look or sometimes one of the above-mentioned statement/questions.
Now I get that I am not in the same situation as most everyone else on this site, and for me it just appears like an older "kid" who is still in a diaper, and not a full-grown adult wearing and using diapers openly. But even with my situation, it is not acceptable for a kid my age to still be in diapers, and people have hardly been shy about it. It's just a different form of underwear, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: PaddedRita and Freddie07601
Dragon64 said:
Or maybe diapers that are completely made from 100% plant based materials and are 100% biodegradable
Not a bad idea. It would still take months to break down completely, while the used amount would increase daily. I'm casting my vote for combustion and energy production :p

dpcare said:
we are taught as toddlers that diapers are for babies only
I think it really is that simple. Diapers have been made a symbol of babyhood, and being done with them is a major developmental milestone--a moment of pride for both parent and child. So yeah, it's really no wonder that remaining in diapers past a certain age, or returning to them years later, is looked on negatively, even in cases of medical need.

Reactions: geka and Greuppe
Cottontail said:
I think it really is that simple. Diapers have been made a symbol of babyhood, and being done with them is a major developmental milestone--a moment of pride for both parent and child. So yeah, it's really no wonder that remaining in diapers past a certain age, or returning to them years later, is looked on negatively, even in cases of medical need.
Agreed. That is why, hope as you might, that the stigma will always be with us. People will frame it in what is "normal". Medical reasons are "abnormal". So IC folks, we just have to suck it up and be able to explain it to the uninformed.

Because the world is full of narrow minded superficial sheep, control by technology and corporations. Wow I feel like a grown up.
I think I need to put on a diaper and chill Ha! Ha!

Without wanting to sound like a prude I want to put my two cents in. Friday or Saturday night hundreds of girls go out wearing something that it would be generous to call clothing and no one says anything. Like Caty says in ‘Mean Girls’ ‘Halloween is the one night a girl can dress like a total slut and no one can say anything about it’. So let me ask you a question which do you think is more acceptable to other people’s feelings and senseablites some wearing a diaper discreetly under their clothes or a girl with a barely there bra and half her butt on show. I know it’s their choice and the old saying if you don’t like it don’t look but in public most people are adhering to a certain unwritten law of what’s considered polite and what’s considered vulgar.

toddler said:
I don't care what society thinks about it. To me it is acceptble as I wear my cloth nappies and plastic pants.

I am not ashamed of telling people.

I have told my friends about myself wearing cloth nappies and plastic pants they have come to accept it.

If people in society can not accept adults wearing nappies that's their problem not our.

Society isn’t accepting of many things but I don’t care what society thinks and don’t care if I’m not a part of it or what others think of me, it’s a them problem not a me problem. My whole life people told me to grow up, teachers, adults and my reply to them is and always will be “never” the best times in my life were when I was tiny and my most deepest imbedded memories make me feel secure, safe, happy and peaceful I hold them dear like treasure well they are treasure to me. If someone has a problem with me wearing a nappy well they can take a hike. The best nights sleep I’ve ever had was wearing a nappy. I literally sleep like a baby.

My continence nurse advisor actually asked me directly on my first visit to her .."Do you wear a nappy " when I said I use one at night and have pull ups for certain circumstances day time she said "Good , that's what they are for " . . I definitely don't feel it's unacceptable to use them if you have to . It'd be totally unacceptable if you wet yourself in public ..

dpcare said:
which disagree with nappies just for babies plenty of people of all ages wear them for different reasons

Reactions: RoseofThorns
Mickey said:
If everyone was still in diapers it would be a disaster. So naturally we all want our kids to not have to need them. As well as simply as humans we can be trained to not need diapers. That is really it, there is no need to wear a diaper beyond the point at which you gain the ability to use a toilet.
Society tends to frown upon for frivolous waste like wearing a diaper if you don't need it. With good reasons.
lets agree to disagree

Dragon64 said:
sometimes people wear diapers without the intent to use them
How strange.

😁😁😁

dpcare said:
That's true. But given that we all spent our earliest years in diapers I fully get why some (I suspect many) people are DL's. In fact, I honestly think being a DL is a pretty psychologically sensible way to be for some people. If you are happier being a DL, abdl, or little, I think you owe it to others to accept that, and to be what you are. We all know how hard it is to deal with people on a day to day basis, so if wearing diapers makes you a calmer, happier, and more agreeable person to deal with it is your duty to wear diapers. In fact, it should be the law for DL's to wear diapers. With their diapers subsidised by the State. Write to your Congressman, and let's get diapers recognised as a way to having a more civil society.

BTW, when is International Abdlittle's Day? You know, that day once a year where all of us abdlittle's get diapered and/or dress up, and love ourselves for being utterly adorable? I searched it, but I got no results.

I'm not ashamed of wearing at all , with out them I couldn't go about my normal daily routines !
I don't broadcast about wearing / But if the subject happen to come up I will explain why !

If you think diapers being worn by adults aren’t acceptable in our culture today you should’ve been around fifty years when I was a teenager. They were considered disgraceful even by those who had to wear them for incontinence issues and even more so by general society. Even medical professionals were far less understanding than they are today. I’m sure that the ubiquitous nature of incontinence products and their ads in magazines and on TV in our society today have helped these products to gain acceptance as the changing educational standards in medical schools have led to a change of attitude amongst medical professionals. So don’t feel sorry for yourself because it used to be FAR WORSE than it is today.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoseofThorns, slimjiminy, BuffedBaby and 1 other person
Back