When exactly does drinking become a problem?

Milianna said:
I guess I'm drinking somewhat less now. But I admit that I need alcohol to sleep. My brain doesn't really like to let go of my memories

I have anxiety. I'm happier overall here in germany studying abroad. It's nice to not worry about my parents 24/7. But given that my father is quite ill... I don't know anymore what to do.

Alcohol is a friend to me. Never judges. Never leaves. Never demands anything from me. I miss drinking a bottle of wine a day. I miss it so much.

Sobriety sucks. And I.... idk. When I'm alone these thoughts creep in. Social anxiety sucks.

I'm terrified of unemployment after college. I don't know if I can survive on a retail job salary after graduation where I can survive on if I can't find a job. I don't k ow what to do anymore. I don't know how to function.
I believe in your ability to remain strong.

I just gave up drinking about a month ago; I never saw it as a problem, I never drank to hide the pain, it was simply a beverage and a path to relax at the end of the day. Then life hit me. I found myself drinking every night, knowing the pain would go away and I would have a short amount of time where I could "be myself" again. I kept lying to myself, saying it wasn't a problem because I could limit my intake and always hold off until 1700; this is how I told myself it wasn't a problem. But the pain would only return later, and sometimes worse that it was; I knew I would not be able to get better if I kept drinking.

Luckily (or not?) I got covid the last time I went to the sports bar next door (which was the same time I decided to give up drinking). Physically, I am very healthy, so I got over it quick with no issue, but I couldn't drink when I was sick and my sense of taste was ruined for ~2 weeks after I got over it, which helped me keep off alcohol for the first few weeks. I haven't had a drink since, and I don't know if I will ever drink again, even after my mental health is in a better place.

The first few days are the hardest; I wanted a drink so bad, I wanted to hide the pain again. I would cry when the pain hit at the end of the day, knowing I couldn't make it go away for a little while. Things have gotten better since then, and now I don't get the urge to drink. Life can be real hard sometimes; all we can really do is stick with it and hope you can find happiness.

• Love
Reactions: dogboy, PadPhilosopher and BobbiSueEllen
Milianna said:
Recently it's been getting to me.

I can't say I really enjoy it that much. But honestly.

I have issues with eating too much. Alcohol nukes my appetite and just makes it so that I don't feel the need to eat.

I have anxiety over starting a job and whatnot. I'm in college and I feel like I have nothing on my resume. Sure I have about two years of research under my belt but it's not in the field of biology or chemistry and it's in psychology. And yeah, I have 1 D on my academic record, I think 2 Cs, and the rest are As and Bs. Mostly As but sheesh. I don't have good enough grades for medical school either.

Parents are getting at me about what my plans are for the future. They're just getting at me for not doing enough to find a job.

I don't know. i'm fine without alcohol i guess. But if I have half a bottle or a bottle of wine with dinner, life is just better. Life is less anxious. I just feel ok. I don't know what to do. I don't think I'm an alcoholic but when I do drink, I drink a fair bit. I've polished off one or two bottles of wine when I'm alone sometimes. I also by myself seltzers and some boxed alcohol drinks for myself as a night cap or something like that from time to time.

I dunno. This is the best antidepressant and the best anti anxiety medicine I've ever had in my life and I feel rough when someone tells me that it's bad to do. I haven't found anything better.
Yea but it helps you gain weight from th sugars also.

When it became a problem for my relative, was when she would drive drunk with the kids in the car and then one day blacked out and we found her passed out on a hedge, she’s my age but looks very very old because the alcohol has aged her because she drinks heavily, I’m not passing judgment on her, I’m just saying you know what hen it’s bad when you pass out, can’t remember anything and maybe when you stop caring about others safety like she did.

Personally I drink on occasion, a bottle of alcohol will last me up to a year, I might have a tipple with a meal now and again or wine with friends but that’s about it. I’ve known people who died from drinking too much, in my view alcohol is a poison in large quantities or for a prolonged time and I’d rather do other things with my body like take my pain meds or smoke herb that make me feel good without risking my liver or kidneys or whatever one ☝️ I get them confused which alcohol impacts. When I do drink I will have some whiskey and lemonade make a long drink of it or do the same with cola and rum and even then I’ll only have one or two.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Back