When exactly does drinking become a problem?

Milianna

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Recently it's been getting to me.

I can't say I really enjoy it that much. But honestly.

I have issues with eating too much. Alcohol nukes my appetite and just makes it so that I don't feel the need to eat.

I have anxiety over starting a job and whatnot. I'm in college and I feel like I have nothing on my resume. Sure I have about two years of research under my belt but it's not in the field of biology or chemistry and it's in psychology. And yeah, I have 1 D on my academic record, I think 2 Cs, and the rest are As and Bs. Mostly As but sheesh. I don't have good enough grades for medical school either.

Parents are getting at me about what my plans are for the future. They're just getting at me for not doing enough to find a job.

I don't know. i'm fine without alcohol i guess. But if I have half a bottle or a bottle of wine with dinner, life is just better. Life is less anxious. I just feel ok. I don't know what to do. I don't think I'm an alcoholic but when I do drink, I drink a fair bit. I've polished off one or two bottles of wine when I'm alone sometimes. I also by myself seltzers and some boxed alcohol drinks for myself as a night cap or something like that from time to time.

I dunno. This is the best antidepressant and the best anti anxiety medicine I've ever had in my life and I feel rough when someone tells me that it's bad to do. I haven't found anything better.

• Thinking
  • Sad
Reactions: ShyBoo81, PadPhilosopher, Woncrinklz and 1 other person
Yeah, this is different for each person. Maybe you should consider talking to someone about what is causing you to feel depressed so that drinking doesn't become a self-medicating issue? Please don't think I'm judging you. Life is tough and sometimes we just need the help of others to navigate. Wishing you the best!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and dogboy
I have two drinks every night. I don't think alcohol is an issue if you only drink at night and don't need it just to get through the day.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and messydiaper
Hey you - while school time we had visited a clinic for people with alcoholism problem. They said: if you need daily your alcohol - also it is only one bottle beer - you are on the path of addiction which can get worser and worser. The problem of alcohol is, first you didnt realize what is happening with you - but it works slowly. And then there will be a point of no return. At this point others around you see a diffrence in your behaviour. And faster than you think, you are an alcoholic with problems.
For sure alcohol seems to be a socializig thing and you will get many friends in drinking with you - but it didnt solve the real struggles of life.
at least evrybody has to navigate for himself through life and i dont judge. But realy take attention. I have seen some people in my life which didnt gwt the curve at the right time 😔

• Thinking
  • Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Woncrinklz, Dakota13 and 2 others
If you're questioning yourself, you should probably listen to yourself.

I quit drinking several years ago. It wasn't causing trouble in my life, but it wasn't good for me, either. I feel much better now.

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Woncrinklz, dbot99 and 2 others
Usually if you think it might be an issue it is , take some time off see how you feel

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, Woncrinklz, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
I have a fair number of alcoholics in my family. I am lucky to not be one of them. I just don’t like the taste of alcohol very much or the after effects.

If you feel you need a drink or cannot do without one on a daily basis, then you are on your way to becoming an alcoholic. Your body will crave it. Even when you are not anxious, worn out, or depressed.

You are going through a period in your life that myself and many of the people I know went through. Go easy on yourself. Life is not a race or a competition. It might help to try meditation or regular exercise to help you cope. I feel somewhat sorry for young people today because the internet is all consuming and can be toxic to your self-esteem. Get off of it as often as possible.

One last thing, it’s not necessarily the amount you drink at one time, it’s the need for it on a regular basis.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, Woncrinklz, PadPhilosopher and 5 others
I don't drink but as the old saying goes, too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing, and if you think you cannot do with out one than you are likely addicted.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, Woncrinklz, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
It'll vary per person, but I would say it's best not to use at all when you're using it as a coping mechanism. That's just the path to using it more and more.

I sympathize a lot with the sense that life just goes better with a bottle of wine. My psychiatrist just reminded me today that alcohol is a depressant and can actually make you feel worse, even though it seems like it's making you feel better.

I'm personally trying to cut off non-social drinking. I don't want to give it up because I really like having a beer, or two (or three) after I finish my work for the day... but I think in the long term it really is for the best.

• Love
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, Woncrinklz and PadPhilosopher
Although there's gotta be an exception to the rule out there somewhere - no drug addicted person ever thought they'd get addicted. The mind does funny things to justify why it's ok today, and the next day, and the day after that until eventually you realize that you feel absolutely crippled if you don't have the drug (alcohol) in your system... So yep, if your worried about it, it's probably time to exercise your ability to abstain or set rules (drinking allowed socially only once a week for example). Addictions are incredibly easy to aquire but incredibly difficult to get over.

• Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz, PadPhilosopher, Zeke and 2 others
I also struggle with alcohol. I don’t drink every day (and I’ve been drinking far less over the last couple of months) but I do drink more than I should. I’m not an expert on the subject but in my opinion it starts to become a problem when there are moments you have to drink or if you’re looking for excuses why it’s okay to drink today. I used to look for excuses all the time. Busy day at work? Time to unwind with a drink. Feeling like ass? I could go with a drink. Cleaned my room and cooked some food? I deserve a drink tonight. And even if I didn’t have an excuse to drink I sometimes couldn’t stop myself and buy some booze. I think the most important step is to be honest with yourself especially because it isn’t easy to admit you have a problem. And to be honest, after reading your post I think you do have a bit of problem. You might not be an alcoholic but I think you’re on the road to become one if you’re not careful.

I think drinking occasionally is okay like if you’re with friends or on a special day but only occasionally and not when you feel down and drink to feel better (I know this can be very hard).

Unfortunately I cant help you with this but there are people out there that can. Maybe you should discus this with a doctor so he can point you in the right direction or look on the internet to see if there is a support group nearby if you cannot get out of this on your own. And I think it’s also not a bad idea to look for psychiatric help since you seem to be dealing with anxiety and depression.

I wish you the best of luck, stay strong

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Pelusos, Sealander and 1 other person
I’m on my 5th 440 ml can of cider tonight 😳

• Wow
Reactions: DLJosie, Woncrinklz and PadPhilosopher
Milianna said:
I dunno. This is the best antidepressant and the best anti anxiety medicine I've ever had in my life and I feel rough when someone tells me that it's bad to do. I haven't found anything better.
The thing is alcohol IS a depressant. It feels good while you are drinking...so long as you keep drinking in that session you will feel good. Once you stop...you will feel less good...and inevitably more depressed and more anxious than before. This is compounded by your sleep being disrupted/not as restful which doesn't allow your brain to repair itself as it would sober. So the next day you are even less prepared to face the troubles of today - and yesterday's are still there too. It begins to compound.

I won't bore you with my story. But historically I have had a drinking problem. Not during the day - but after work...game over. It caused a lot of complications in my life and eventually had to figure something out. I went 8 months sober a few years ago...and I'm 7 months sober come April 4th. Drinking to ease anxiety and stress is actually making it worse. Drinking for any reason other than enjoyment and merriment is generally a slippery slope. NOT ALL...I want to be clear. Just be careful, please!

If you haven't seen a therapist/psychiatrist I might recommend that. Talk therapy can do wonders with processing complex feelings, fears, emotions, memories, etc. Meds can help some folks a great deal. Not a silver bullet...but can really make things manageable. Practicing mindfulness and light exercise...balanced diet...good sleep. If you are spiritual - prayer. It's remarkable what those things will do for your wellbeing and thought life.

There is no judgement from me. From one human to another - just take care of yourself/be kind to yourself, okay? We all want to escape and feel something different...but sometimes that discontent is to drive us forward...and if we keep self-medicating...we stay put. Pain sucks. Life is hard. But pain can drive us forward and life can be beautiful...if only for a moment at a time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sealander, Woncrinklz, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
When I was younger I used to get loaded on a fairly regular basis but never had any problem leaving alcohol alone if I decided to. After my spinal surgery I’ve been on fairly heavy dosages of opioid pain medications and I seldom drink alcohol because the two don’t go well together. Perhaps I could find a psychologist or psychiatrist who would tell me that the opioids are satisfying my need for alcohol, but I taking less than 20% of what I once was taking and have no change in my desire for alcohol so I would disagree with them on that as I would many other things those in these fields claim. It’s my opinion that moderation is the key for most everything in life. So if you can take or leave alcohol I think that you’re in no danger of becoming an alcoholic. As to your anxiety make a list of the things that are making you anxious and divide them into those that you can do something about and those that are beyond your ability to change. Work on the former and try not to worry about the later.

Reactions: Woncrinklz and PadPhilosopher
I have people with alcohol problems in the family and know a few others.
Alcohol or drugs never solve a problem, only making more.

If you ask yourself this question, you may already have the answer.
I do not think you have a problem with alcohol yet, but it is problematic, especially if you drink this much several times a week.
It is so much better to leave this path now, before you find yourself in real trouble.
I can understand why you think this is helping, I have earlier felt similar things.
But stopping going down this road will let you be able to have a normal relationship with alcohol and be able to enjoy it on the right
occasions later and save you a lot of trouble.

It is perfectly normal to have anxiety over things in life, like getting a job or getting good enough grades.
And parents are always worried about their kids (and later grandchildren) and quit often don’t express that very well.
If the anxiety feels bigger than you can handle, the best way to deal with it is to talk to someone about it.
It can be friends, family, a partner or a teacher. Or a therapist if needed. This will work slower than wine, but you will win.

• Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz, PadPhilosopher, Pelusos and 1 other person
Just to add, I think if your desire to drink alcohol increases, that would be a sign. If it also interferes with the things you need to get done such as studying and homework, that would be another sign.

I had to quit alcohol when I developed a bleeding ulcer which nearly killed me. Now, many years later, I'll drink just one beer in the evening and that's my limit. If you can limit yourself to two drinks a night, it's probably not a problem. If it's beyond that, you might want to cut down by one and see what happens. If you absolutely have to have another and another, that might indicate a problem.

Reactions: Woncrinklz and PadPhilosopher
Yeah I would say when it interferes with other parts of life, or if you notice signs your body is gaining a physiological dependency for it. If you feel the need to drink during other, normally unrelated activities, or if the drinking causes harm to your organs or makes you do destructive stuff, cutting down would probably be the best option.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Just my opinion: the problem awaits the more one sips. There's all kinds of triggers out there and alcohol can exacerbate the circumstances for the worst possible outcome...fights, arrests, accidents, the death of others...one's own death.

I've heard people excuse it away: "You gotta learn how to hold your alcohol", "Even the Bible says drinking wine is okay for your health", "I can quit anytime I want...I just don't wanna", "In the news: 'studies show' that drinking helps your health/improves your IQ/makes you more sociable/gets you career promotions"..."Oh, c'mon! Man/Woman up! One more won't kill ya!"

The one which disgusted me was Campbell's Soup TV commercial passing off drinking as a charming humor centerpiece: a woman pushing a cart with her kids, they're all bundled, listening to the radio as she grabs some Campbell's Soup off the shelf; the radio guy then says "And tomorrow, all schools are closed!", so she grabs a bottle of wine off another shelf. Impressioning. And immature.

I rarely drink, it at all. The closer one gets to the bottom at one sitting or throughout the day, the closer that tripwire gets. I guess one has to consider if the potential for something going wrong is worth it. The further you walk toward a cliff in the fog...the deeper the fog gets, the less you see the edge. And then there's things that can come at you from sideways you never see. "But it only happens to others..."?

That's what I tell myself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz, PadPhilosopher, OnePiece and 2 others
To be honest with you, I dont really know how to feel about my drinking. When I drink, I use it to forget about life. It makes me happy and giggle and maybe slightly sleepy. I mix it with some energy drinks to counter the sleepy aspect of it.

Even when I don't drink, I feel myself craving it mentally. I tend to slam back a lot of alcohol at once. I guess for me it's kind of something to do to fill the loneliness and the stress. I honestly hate drinking with other people since they tend to stop me or something before I feel satisfied with myself. Alcohol just seems like a convenient way to I guess cope and unwind. I tend to not eat much when drinking to maximize the effect of drinking and yeah, I know it's terrible.

I don't feel myself particularly fun or happy or laid back as a person. I hate that about myself. I'm usually a depressive and awful person to be around when not drunk. I honestly feel like I like myself and my life more when I'm drunk or tipsy. I've gotten chastised for my drinking and my habits of how I drink. But honestly? I don't know how much I hate it.

I don't know. A part of me knows that this is such a slippery slope but I almost want to give in. I feel as though no one really could ever enjoy me as a person or a human being.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: ShyBoo81, Woncrinklz, PadPhilosopher and 3 others
Please don’t give in. Drowning your problems with alcohol is only a temporary solution but it comes with life long consequences. Apart from it ruining your health and being very expensive it will also impact your performance at school and work. Even if you don’t drink on the job. I pretty much always felt like shit waking up after a night of drinking. I rarely felt sick or had headaches but I always felt tired and didn’t do my job as well as I should have because I was exhausted and couldn’t really focus on anything. And it was much worse if I did feel sick the morning after. I lost my job partially because of alcohol and partially because of a depression which was most likely made worse because of my drinking habits. I get that life can be tough and you just want to escape it but this is not the way. If you ever want to get out of this tough spot you should avoid becoming an alcoholic at all cost because things only go downhill from there.

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, OnePiece, abdilly and 1 other person
Back