When an accident begins

TheGrimmRetails

The Wizard of Wondermart
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
For those of you who can feel it when you go, how do you handle it when your accident "starts"? Do you try to rush to the nearest bathroom, do you stop and let it all happen, do you experience a kind of temporary paralysis as your body voids?

Reactions: Diprs2 and Fleetwoodmac32192
I probably have no business responding to this because I am not incontinent. I wear diapers and wet and mess for my own enjoyment, and when I use my diapers, I just let it happen as naturally as is possible so as not to draw any attention to what I am doing. I trust my diaper.

Reactions: Diprs2
I have to let it go because I have no more sphincters to hold it back, the pelvis does hold it back a little depending on my position but as soon as I stand up or walk, everything comes out

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, ChrisK, lilLonely and 3 others
If its Bladder then nothing will prevent it from happening, but if it's a BM then I try to sit down until the moment has passed as this usually works allowing me to go to the toilet quickly, some times sitting down makes no difference, it just comes out regardless of anything I do.
If it is going to happen it is usually when I am out in the middle of nowhere having a walk and if sitting down is not possible then all I can then do is smooth my pants down so the bulge is not obvious.

Reactions: Diprs2, ChrisK, TheGrimmRetails and 1 other person
That depends very much on the situation I find myself in. In most cases, I can stop it after a short time. That gives me another 10 minutes to reach a toilet.

However, I have to concentrate quite a bit to make it work and there are situations where that is not possible. Moreover, the 10 minutes it gives me in these situations are often not enough. Fortunately, such situations are usually predictable and in such situations I just wear diapers or stronger pads. Otherwise, fortunately, a light incontinence pad is now sufficient in most cases.

And as for the "paralysis"... No - my body is not paralyzed. The bladder cramps and it just starts running. It can happen in any situation - running, walking, standing, sitting, lying...

However, there are situations where it is more likely to happen - for example, when the pressure in the body changes quickly - for example, when I stand up after sitting for a long time or I wake up and sit up in bed. Another point are cold stimuli or also stronger shocks as they occur for example when running or jumping.

Reactions: Diprs2, ChrisK, slimjiminy and 1 other person
That all depends on a number of things at the start of the urge to go and sometimes ThegrimmRetails there is little or almost no warning before hand.
Some of the various facts can be: the time of day; the location of the nearest toilet; whether I am alone or in company; what I am doing at the time; if I can stop or pause that activity (say at work or driving) and the condition of my body at the time.

This last fact, the condition of my body at the time, is the most critical as it relates to my degree of control, on every occasion. Am I tried? Is my IBS playing up again? And such like.

Even though I have mainly bowel incontinence, I have been very fortunate with adult diapers protecting me, at work and in public, from any real problems.
The latest challenge is not to show any reaction when I am near anyone when something 'down there' happens unexpectantly.
(You don't want to draw the wrong sort of attention to yourself. That just makes it awkward for everyone).
Adjustment in acceptance and a change to life conditions was the hardest part. That takes time. I am still learning to cope with it.

I am usually asleep and wake up after it has happened.

During the day the most likely scenarios to cause an urge incontinence episode are standing up after a long car ride and wetting all the way to the restroom or at a parking lot at a store in really cold weather. I have been caught in both of these situations without protection and completely embarrassed myself. During winter months I wear during the day, and if the urge hits me, I don't attempt to hold it back.

Reactions: Diprs2, ChrisK and legojoker88
My learning experience with has been to not try to stop the accident when it starts. When I start to have a messy accident, I just push it all out and wait for the second wave of poop to come out before I change. I learned the hard way when I first became incontinent that trying to stop the accident and taking the diaper off to finish pooping in the toilet can have disastrous results and poop ends up on the floor and toilet seat. I very quickly learned that as long as my diaper is on, the mess is very well contained in the diaper and I have only one mess to clean up when I am finished pooping.

Reactions: Diprs2, uknappygirl, chuck and 3 others
I don't do anything after "it starts", I continue doing whatever I was doing. If I was walking, bending over (happens alot when I bend over to grab something), whatever I just continue on my task. I noticed that if I freeze in spot trying to stop what started is when it draws attention to me, so I just "go with the flow" and not let it bother me.

Reactions: Diprs2, Joules and messydiaper
When I was younger I would try to hold my pee back once I started having a accident but it usually made no difference. I would end up getting frustrated and the end result was almost always the same, I ended up soaked. I finally just started letting go and enjoying my wetting accidents, always loved the way it feels to pee myself.

Reactions: Diprs2, uknappygirl, NotTheAverageMan and 5 others
mickdl said:
That depends very much on the situation I find myself in. In most cases, I can stop it after a short time. That gives me another 10 minutes to reach a toilet.

However, I have to concentrate quite a bit to make it work and there are situations where that is not possible. Moreover, the 10 minutes it gives me in these situations are often not enough. Fortunately, such situations are usually predictable and in such situations I just wear diapers or stronger pads. Otherwise, fortunately, a light incontinence pad is now sufficient in most cases.

And as for the "paralysis"... No - my body is not paralyzed. The bladder cramps and it just starts running. It can happen in any situation - running, walking, standing, sitting, lying...

However, there are situations where it is more likely to happen - for example, when the pressure in the body changes quickly - for example, when I stand up after sitting for a long time or I wake up and sit up in bed. Another point are cold stimuli or also stronger shocks as they occur for example when running or jumping.
Hey Mick, sounds very similar to me.

First it will get painful, at that point i do still have some time, but it depends, it can be seconds or minutes - 10 at a maximum. When the bladder cramps on top, it is so painful after a moment that i am not able to walk (or stand) anymore - so i wear protection for that issue and let go to get rid of the pain, i can not stop that again most of the time. Sometimes i try to relax my pelvic floor, that helps with the pain for some time but at the cost of not knowing when it starts running.

If i know at the first real pain in the bladder that i will not be able to reach a toilet in the next moments, i will let go early to avoid any additional pain, of course only with a diaper on me. At that moment i am still able to to anything. Most of the time i will pretend to do something on the phone while standing to prevent any leaks but not be suspicious.

My wife told me she can never tell when i do this, so, there is no obvious sign on my body.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and mickdl
Its been years since I worried about using my diaper as my Bladder never leaves it dry very long, I do race for the bathroom for a bowel movement but I no longer stress about it if an unexpected bowel movement happens as its all part of dealing with incontinence issues.

Reactions: Diprs2, munkey, TheGrimmRetails and 1 other person
Sometimes I still feel the urge but once I do, I only have about 2 minutes until emptying my bladder. If I’m retaining, I just drip like a faucet then flood 😢
Bowels are much more inconsistent, somedays I can hold it for hours, other days I don’t know I need to go until it’s already out of my body.

Edit: to answer the question… I usually freeze as it begins then come to my senses and run off to the nearest bathroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the time I just ignore it and let the Nappy take the strain, after a few settings I have to hold the front of my Nappy to slow the flow or it will just pour out around the sides.

Reactions: Diprs2 and GoodnitesXL21
I don't stop it. I just let it go. even if i'm out n about shopping. its happened a few times, where I start to let no 2 go, and it ends up theres more than i thought. so when that happens, I don't rush off home. I finish my shop. and then drive home. no drama.

Because I know accidents are going to happen, I merely accept it and prepare accordingly. Even if I am wearing a pull-up, I always wear a soft pair of plastic pants over them. That way I can let it go and know I am safe.

When 1st became incontinent I still tried to make it to the toilet to poop, but after pooping on the floor, toilet and and my pants, I stay taped up till I'm finished....

Reactions: Diprs2, uknappygirl and TheGrimmRetails
I am not incontinent, but I wet the bed. I occasionally wake up as I am wetting myself and when that happens I try to stop it if it is rushing out. I don't remember I have a diaper on when I initially wake up, so once I actually wake up and realize, I go to the bathroom if I didn't finish in my diaper. There have been a few times where I resumed wetting my diaper, and that is only because it was almost time to wake up and I almost finished anyway.

I try and make it to the restroom. Eventhough I wear pullups, they have a tendancy to leak. So when I feel the urge, I really have about a minute or so before I pee.

Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon and TheGrimmRetails
For urinary urges, I'll rush to the toilet when at home/office (though not to the point of being obvious). When I'm shopping/doing errands, or out in the backyard, then I just let it go. In the beginning of my IC, I tried on one shopping occasion to come home dry. But stopping it (which was difficult) was pointless because the same but stronger urge would just return again in the next 3-5 minutes. In other words resistance was futile!

In the beginning, before I was wearing protection and sitting on the couch, I was waiting for the bathroom when the urge happened. So I grabbed my member and pinched it off. A little while later the bladder then got upset and started to have painful spasms. Luckily the bathroom became available and I was able to set my bladder free. Lesson learned- do not deny your incontinent bladder!

I am not fecally incontinent but I've had a few accidents. In my case, it always involves diarrhea (and too much oil in my diet). When that urge becomes powerfully strong, as much as I might try to make it to the toilet, it starts an uncontrollable "pumping action" sending out spurts. That is totally dreadful and I hope is not signs of things to come.

Reactions: Diprs2 and TheGrimmRetails
Back