What was covid like for you?

Maromi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
I had a few questions for people that got covid.

Did you test positive?

Also I'm curious if anyone had to go to the hospital or was on a ventilator or in one of those covid units and what that was like.

TY

I got omnicron a few months ago

I'm 42 and have not gotten any of the vaccines

It was not too bad, more annoying than anything, it hung around for about ten days then I got over it with no lasting effects.

I live in a very remote area so don't interact with large groups of people

It wasn't bad for me-only because I had gotten vaccinated three times before.

I tested positive back in January, as did everybody else in the house. At-home test kits. I’m guessing it was omicron, but I can’t be sure. We were all vaccinated and had our boosters also. The fevers didn’t last more than a couple of days, and nobody went to the hospital. I had a nagging urge to cough for about two months, though. That was fairly annoying.

I'm pretty sure I had every flavor of it, and it pretty much only made me really sleepy. Maybe a knee and back ache once.

Had it at begging of last month ,
like a bad cold/ flu
I was sneezing at lot and was very tired and it took 4 weeks to get over properly
the 1st 4 days I was negative but symptomatic then tested positive for the next 6 days

I have multiple autoimmune disease issues, so being vaccinated was a mandate from both of my "main" Dr's, including booster shots. I had Covid in late May, and it was BRUTAL! I wound up going to an ER (at the VA as I'm a disabled vet) for what seemed to be another in my long line of indescribable headaches that aren't really headaches. No one has any clue as to what causes these (despite seeing every Expert in the NE US including a month hospitalization @ Jefferson Headache Center, over a dozen lumbar punctures (I.E. Spinal Taps) and the only med that will make a difference is Dilaudid. Yeah, DILAUDID!
Sure, I felt like I was run over by a truck, but I tested positive for Covid. I was essentially in bed for a shade over a week, and it was truly MISERABLE. THANK GOD I was up to date on vaccinations/booster shots as my Rheumatologist told me he lost 3 patients this year alone who refused vaccinations. I'm not here to get into the politics behind these, I simply follow whatever my 2 most important (NON VA Dr's) tell me or highly recommend I do.
Thankfully it never got into my chest. I still can't really smell much, months later, and my sinuses are still badly congested which is a problem I've dealt with for decades. My PCP claims I have the worst sinuses he's ever seen and I've had several procedures to facilitate my sinuses draining as they don't like to, which leads to frequent infections.

When I assume I had covid, and got tested twice, after leaving the hospital from a MRI with the contrast everything smelled like rotten fish- Which I assume was from covid or the iodine contrast in the MRI. But that only lasted a few days.
I later read people that got covid had these smell hallucinations like rotten fish, but all of my tests overall were always negative.

Last edited:
Lost smell and taste for a day and a half. That’s it.

I tested positive on 5 December 2020: my daughter called on 3 December and said she and the middle granddaughter both had just tested positive. My reaction was instant: go in for a test, now.

By the time my test results arrived on 5 December, I was already experiencing fatigue and the trademark roller-coaster fever: an hour of 98.6, an hour of nearly 101. 🥵🤒 Apply, lather, rinse, repeat. Within 3 hours, I got the call: positive. 😲 So...that was that. 😷

I spent the next two days feeling quite punky and then it hit: total loss of taste & smell. 😳 You could get a teaspoonful of fiery-hot salsa, put it in your mouth...and it wouldn't burn. At all. It was important to eat normally because losing your taste & smell can cause loss of appetite. So eat, even if you don't feel like it. Very important! And you'll get body-aches, too so keep Advil on hand...it'll keep aches at bay rather handily. And my taste & smell were gone for about five days.

Meanwhile the rest of the family--both kids and all 4 grandkids--were also suffering. The entire family had it. There was nobody else to get me groceries and the haste to get a test came before a grocery trip to get food because I was out, as payday & test day happened the same day. I ordered food from the local stores that would pick & stage by your car, paid for it, went and fetched it: the stores were particularly friendly to those with COVID who had nobody else to do their fetching and brought the goods to the cars in cardboard boxes, dropped them off at your trunk/rear hatch and got back. And had it not been for being able to visit my equally-sick family and help them cope with full-cabin fever, it'd've been miserable. That helped a lot.

And then...it was over. Getting out and about was paradise where before it seemed rather commonly pedestrian. And we all cleared symptoms & infection a week before Christmas, which was a memorably good one. 🎄🎅

Now, the CDC has established new Isolation/Quarantine Criteria: if you test positive, testing day is Day Zero and you're in Isolation; on Day Six, you're in Quarantine and you can get oat & aboat, provided you mask, gap & slather. Day Ten...all clear. But if you wanna extend the terms...why not? Better safe than sorry! 🥳

Woke up feeling like hell a few weeks ago, nothing specific just generally felt like a wreck. Next day I coughed a couple times and since I was in London for work I decided to get tested. Test came back negative and was cleared for work and told there's no concern of me being out because it was probably just a cold from traveling. Felt like that for about 2 nights, got tested again which came back negative. Got told I was good to go and have a good flight home (back to the US). Got back to my house and felt fine at this point but food tasted weird for a day, fiancée had me go test and sure enough it was positive. Got told that based on timing of symptoms I would have been in contact with someone approximately 24 to 48 hours before my flight to London. Still not sure why I tested negative in London and was given permission to go back to work or come back to the US.

Last edited:
Lightshow said:
I had a few questions for people that got covid.

Did you test positive?

Also I'm curious if anyone had to go to the hospital or was on a ventilator or in one of those covid units and what that was like.

TY

It was a really light cold for me. It ruined christmas as i couldnt see friends and familly. I had a slightly stuffy nose and a very mild headache and a gritty throat and it contributed to my breakdown at the start of this year 😨

I had 3 vaccines and was considered vulnearable due to my type 2. I spent most of my isolation and xmas padded though so theres always that 😁

Last edited:
I never got covid.. I have had one cold in the last few years, I was exposed to covid many times , I even lived in the same house as someone with covid and no isolation.. and I never got ill. I did tests regularly because I worked in retail and was always exposed to loads of people.. but I always negative.

It finally hit my wife, daughter and I a few weeks ago, likely the BA.5 variant. Started with feeling a little off one day, then next day with runny nose, sneezing, mild fever, and cough. At home kits for all of us showed positive. A couple days of mild fever, sinuses full of crap (but not so much runny nose) and occasional cough. Quarantined at home as much as we could, masked up while out and about, and over-the-counter meds as needed. Tested negative a week later.

Wife and I both got the two shots of the vaccine and a booster. Daughter is on the autism spectrum and had trouble with injections so she wasn't and she definitely had the worst time of it out of the three of us.

Kittyinpink said:
I never got covid.. I have had one cold in the last few years, I was exposed to covid many times , I even lived in the same house as someone with covid and no isolation.. and I never got ill. I did tests regularly because I worked in retail and was always exposed to loads of people.. but I always negative.

I am quite resilliant against respiritory infection. Ive only ever had a bad flu once. My sister on the other hand dies as soon as she gets a cold.

Most of my colds are super mild. I havnt caught it this year and i barely sanitise anymore and dont wear a mask.

I've had COVID twice ... once in November, 2020, before the vaccines were available, and just this past week, after having vaccines and boosters.

My first time, I nearly died. I was alone, had a raging fever, unbelievable body aches and passed out while I was trying to make it to the bathroom. The really intense pain lasted only three or four hours, but it was incredible. I got vaccinated as quickly as I could, and got the boosters as well.

I just returned from a vacation trip in late July and tested positive. This time, thanks to the vaccines, the symptoms were a piece of cake ... like mild flu. I lost nearly 20 pounds the first go-around, and have lost 6 or 7 pounds so far this time. As much as I'm glad to lose the weight, I can think of far easier ways to lose it.

Because of my age I have had the full set of vaccinations. I did contract covid, but the symptoms were very mild. The only thing that was annoying I tested positive for 10 days in a row.

If I got it I never was symptomatic. I’m double vaxed and double boosted.

I donate blood regularly and the Red Cross will do antibody testing for free. My results as of late have been coming back as:

Reactive+ test result: Antibody levels were detected at levels high enough that your plasma may be used as convalescent plasma.​

So for me I’m having good results with being vaxed. I realize that may not be the best option for everyone.

Reactions: CptKirk and sissybaby34
AnalogRTO said:
It finally hit my wife, daughter and I a few weeks ago, likely the BA.5 variant. Started with feeling a little off one day, then next day with runny nose, sneezing, mild fever, and cough. At home kits for all of us showed positive. A couple days of mild fever, sinuses full of crap (but not so much runny nose) and occasional cough. Quarantined at home as much as we could, masked up while out and about, and over-the-counter meds as needed. Tested negative a week later.

Wife and I both got the two shots of the vaccine and a booster. Daughter is on the autism spectrum and had trouble with injections so she wasn't and she definitely had the worst time of it out of the three of us.
It hit my dad apparently a few weeks ago for the first time as well and he had all the vaccines, he thinks he got it on a flight or the airport, so I am debating masking again and bought some hand sanitizer yesterday.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I recall feeling dizziness, fever, kinda a sore throat, kinda aches, and pains but I remember feeling really awful. The swings from the fevers and the chills, the body aches, maybe some coughing. But I really felt like crap. I remember writing people about it. It was a week-long if not more feeling crappy and unstable. I barely recall not tasting things, but my sense of smell was off. It was a strange ride, despite the "vaccine" I had way (a couple of months) before.

But afterward, I was weak, dizzy, and clumsy. That's when I broke my leg. Nice move, eh? That was a few weeks later.

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Back