What do you use as a back up for leaks at night?

Jorelaxed said:
A nice big, reusable bed pad.
What size would you consider "big", or what would you consider to be a good size? I had some 34x36 that got me in real big trouble because a big leak seeped up my back to get above where the pad covered, soaking in to my mattress (it even soaked through the protector I had on it 😣). I have been looking at longer ones, but the common ones are still 34" width so I'd be concerned about rolling to the side of it and leaking over there. And the 44x52 ones seem less common, although I did find some.

Reactions: Jorelaxed
TigerDL said:
What size would you consider "big", or what would you consider to be a good size? I had some 34x36 that got me in real big trouble because a big leak seeped up my back to get above where the pad covered, soaking in to my mattress (it even soaked through the protector I had on it 😣). I have been looking at longer ones, but the common ones are still 34" width so I'd be concerned about rolling to the side of it and leaking over there. And the 44x52 ones seem less common, although I did find some.
Hi, definitely the 44x42 are the way to go.
I have had some leaks, but that was due tu diaper brand, I am now using NRU STR8UPS and no more leaks.

Pullup plastic pants, disposable bed pad, booster.
First always pants then depends of need, going for second and then third in line.
Usually to avoid side leaks.

Last edited:
Diaperman95 said:
What type of product do you use along with your disposables incase of leaks?

Bed pad, plastic/rubber pants, boosters, old news papers, what ever? 😂

I Normally just use my mega max and reusable bed pad, disposable but some times I will use a booster with it. I was looking at waterproof cloth diaper covers. Then I wondered has anyone ever use a size larger all in one fitted cloth diaper over a disposable? Like if it is just a bit bigger to cover all the disposable diaper edges would it not protect against leaks? I don't care about thickness it is just at night and I am not talking about cutting the backs out of the disposable either. The idea is as long as you don't leak you could reuse the cloth one several times before washing just like a bed pad. But only you don't have to worry about the bed pad sliding out from under you if you toss and turn.

I was sick this morning and have been all day, but I did not want to get up this morning and change because of it & I pushed my diaper way to far. I had my bed pad down but I was so uncomfortable with stomach pain, I had rolled around a lot getting comfortable and had pushed the pad out from under me. I had piss get all over my mattress cover, sheets, blanket and a body pillow, that I had been hugging for comfort. So I had thought about it before and had seen the pocket diapers, but looking for them online I seen this other cheap all in one (Link below) and thought I would see how what my people thought about the Idea.

I normally wear Tykables Cammie Blue or Incontrol with XL Contoured doubler from Northshore. The doubler from NS are great. I was very surprised at how much they can absorb. IMO, I would stay away from the link you provided through Amazon. I have tried those and they are way to bulky, material is not high quality. My experience with the pocket diapers and wraps definitely turned me off. I hope that you feel better & helps out. Take care.

I have a bed pad on just in case but since I switched from pull-ups to nappies I rarely have leaks unless i fall asleep in a wet nappy before I’ve changed for bed cos during the day I’m often in kids/ bed wetter pull-ups for fun

Jg21101 said:
I have a bed pad on just in case but since I switched from pull-ups to nappies I rarely have leaks unless i fall asleep in a wet nappy before I’ve changed for bed cos during the day I’m often in kids/ bed wetter pull-ups for funh
I normally use a be pad too. I seldom have real bad leaks unless I am just to damn lazy to get up and change. Here lately I have just been so damn sick I have been laying in bed for week. I just never give much real effort into diaper covers except when I use to use cloth diapers. More just curiosity what others use. Pull ups 100% are not the answer for any kind of night time incontinence.

I always wear plastic or rubber baby knickers over my nappy.

They stop any leaks, but also make me feel really babyish.

As much padding as I can get in !
Four large Microfibre cloths with two disposables and three PUL pants over the top, the inner one tucked in on legs and waistband.
Pretty much leak proof for me !

We use a flat rubber sheet on the mattress and then a waterproof mattress pad. Then a reusable bed pad under the bottom sheet. Our nightly routine is my wife pins 2 cloth diapers on me and I use rubber pants over them for sleeping. I wear the cloth diapers in the shower and rinse them off and put them in the cloth diaper pail and they get washed every 2-3 days. During the day I change my own disposable diapers and plastic pants.

I wear rubber pants on my disposable diapers.
Ps: If someone asks, these are the rubber pants I wear😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230312-095745.png
    Screenshot_20230312-095745.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 5
I have a waterproof mattress protector under my sheet and I have a Brolly Sheet washable bed pad on top of the sheets, probably be fine with the brolly sheet but I feel more assured the mattress is definitely protected.

Was going to post the Brolly sheets website but they have closed their UK store which is a shame :cry:, would use disposable bed pads but prefer ones with a tuck so they don't move and don't think theeir are any that fit a double bed

I always wear rubber pants over whatever kind of diaper I am wearing and I have a full size rubber sheet on my bed.

Diaperman95 said:
What type of product do you use along with your disposables incase of leaks?

Bed pad, plastic/rubber pants, boosters, old news papers, what ever? 😂

I Normally just use my mega max and reusable bed pad, disposable but some times I will use a booster with it. I was looking at waterproof cloth diaper covers. Then I wondered has anyone ever use a size larger all in one fitted cloth diaper over a disposable? Like if it is just a bit bigger to cover all the disposable diaper edges would it not protect against leaks? I don't care about thickness it is just at night and I am not talking about cutting the backs out of the disposable either. The idea is as long as you don't leak you could reuse the cloth one several times before washing just like a bed pad. But only you don't have to worry about the bed pad sliding out from under you if you toss and turn.

I was sick this morning and have been all day, but I did not want to get up this morning and change because of it & I pushed my diaper way to far. I had my bed pad down but I was so uncomfortable with stomach pain, I had rolled around a lot getting comfortable and had pushed the pad out from under me. I had piss get all over my mattress cover, sheets, blanket and a body pillow, that I had been hugging for comfort. So I had thought about it before and had seen the pocket diapers, but looking for them online I seen this other cheap all in one (Link below) and thought I would see how what my people thought about the Idea.

My partner puts a disposable on and then puts a Terry nappy on over the disposable and then the waterproof/ plastic pants. It is so thick and actually very comfortable.

WillFord384 said:
I don't think reusable bed pads would cause any problems in a shared washing machine. The things you really have to watch out for are, for instance, horse blankets and dog beds that have a lot of hair. At least that's what the signs said the last time I was in a laundromat.
I have washed my bed pads with other laundry. Just remember if you do wash them along side other clothing not to use fabric softener. I don't know if it is good or not but I normally put a cap of pine-sol in with my bed pads.

247 said:
Just discovered PROTEC Briefs. Been using for a couple of weeks now. Wear over the top of my cotton backed disposable nappies.

All my nappy leaks have been caught by PROTEC Briefs. So far so good!
I have a few questions on theses. How great are they? Did you buy just one the first time or 3? They cost $79 each but they are buy 2 get one free and that is a huge savings over buying one at a time. Like $52 each. But I am not sure I want to drop $160 bucks on diaper covers I have not ever tried. How thick are they and is it something you can wear under cloths with a mega max and still be somewhat discreet? I am really starting to have bowel control issues a lot more and it is often extremely loose. Mega max has not failed me yet but I know it is a matter of time plus I want to help hide the smell. I had a very public shitting yesterday as I finished up practice bowling. I am very scared of others smelling me. Plus I love how high it wraps and is black, because It looks like you could just tell someone with prying eyes it is a back support and you know that diaper is covered well. I really think they are expensive but I think they cold be worth it. Just more piece of mind. They appear to be very well made and they have high reviews. Do you know if they take returns or exchanges if you bought the wrong size? I think I am in between a large and extra large so not sure what one. I don't want them to snug but then I don't want them baggy.. Like how many pair do you own? It seams like 3 is the best way to go and they should be able to be reused several days and nights without washing as long as my mega mx does not leak. Overall I guess I just want to know if you think these are well worth the money?

Diaperman95 said:
I have a few questions on theses. How great are they? Did you buy just one the first time or 3? They cost $79 each but they are buy 2 get one free and that is a huge savings over buying one at a time. Like $52 each. But I am not sure I want to drop $160 bucks on diaper covers I have not ever tried. How thick are they and is it something you can wear under cloths with a mega max and still be somewhat discreet? I am really starting to have bowel control issues a lot more and it is often extremely loose. Mega max has not failed me yet but I know it is a matter of time plus I want to help hide the smell. I had a very public shitting yesterday as I finished up practice bowling. I am very scared of others smelling me. Plus I love how high it wraps and is black, because It looks like you could just tell someone with prying eyes it is a back support and you know that diaper is covered well. I really think they are expensive but I think they cold be worth it. Just more piece of mind. They appear to be very well made and they have high reviews. Do you know if they take returns or exchanges if you bought the wrong size? I think I am in between a large and extra large so not sure what one. I don't want them to snug but then I don't want them baggy.. Like how many pair do you own? It seams like 3 is the best way to go and they should be able to be reused several days and nights without washing as long as my mega mx does not leak. Overall I guess I just want to know if you think these are well worth the money?

Likewise, i was presented with the same dilemma, huge saving but at what level of spend. I decided to simply risk buying one and see how i got on.

Now as it turns out i’m able to manage well with just the one. Let me explain my use case as everyone is different. I’m using at night to avoid bladder leaks only. I wear in combination with the cotton backed Tena Max all-in-one briefs provided by my healthcare provider. 1) I find non-PE backed diapers will leak/sweat through the backing when heavily loaded and I would otherwise wear plastic pants over them. Here I have no need for plastic pants.
2) I find all diapers leak catastrophically at night when either nearing capacity or if sleeping on side etc. I would ordinarily where plastic pants with either a cloth diaper or Tena shaped pad on top of my disposable Tena Max diaper to soak up the leak/stream. Here i have no need for plastic pants and secondary protection.

Now an added benefit for me is that they look like tight fitting shorts/cycling shorts and so my wife doesn’t bat an eyelid when i go to bed/get out of bed and walk around the house. If i did the same with plastic pants/disposables showing my wife would say cover up! Yes of course visitors would probably wonder what i am wearing but for my better other half it’s out-of-sight out-of-mind kind of thing.

One point to note, They’re tight fitting but to my surprise this helps rather than hinders when it comes to leaking. Had assumed it would compromise absorbency but it seems to help stop the leak spreading too far. As for discretely wearing with a MegaMax, when has wearing a MegaMax ever been discrete😂. The protec briefs are most definitely more discrete in terms of size and sound than cloth diapers and plastic pants a top a disposable diaper.

So how is it i’ve survived with just the one so far? First of all i’m only bladder IC and probably wear for on average of three nights and then throw in the morning wash ready to use again at night. Haven’t yet used during the day. Small leaks are absorbed and don’t necessitate a wash unless there’s strong odour. I tend to drink plenty of fluids and so my urine is not so concentrated. However, i’m not so sure how they would help with the smell of bowel IC. Assume only well sealing air tight-ish plastic pants would help here?

Yes I too like that they’re more passable clothing should anyone see. They’re high at the back but not so high at the front. The wrap around completes the front and at first I had wished it higher but despite sleeping on my front at times, it’s caught everything so far.

They’re extremely well made, very impressed, hence the price. IMHO well worth the price tag.
They have a size/fit guarantee and will exchange, haven’t tested this myself. However, i did email them before ordering and they suggested I try the Medium and exchange if this didn’t fit. FYI, I wear Tena/BetterDry/NS MegaMax in a Medium. I think going up a size would have made them baggy and quite possibly not as effective at containing a leak/steam.

As previously stated i own one pair, get on average three days before a morning wash. Everybody is different and I’m just bladder IC.

To be honest i had reservations before spending on them. WELL WORTH THE MONEY IMHO.

Hope this helps.

If you do invest, let me know how they work for you.

Reactions: TigerDL
247 said:
Likewise, i was presented with the same dilemma, huge saving but at what level of spend. I decided to simply risk buying one and see how i got on.

Now as it turns out i’m able to manage well with just the one. Let me explain my use case as everyone is different. I’m using at night to avoid bladder leaks only. I wear in combination with the cotton backed Tena Max all-in-one briefs provided by my healthcare provider. 1) I find non-PE backed diapers will leak/sweat through the backing when heavily loaded and I would otherwise wear plastic pants over them. Here I have no need for plastic pants.
2) I find all diapers leak catastrophically at night when either nearing capacity or if sleeping on side etc. I would ordinarily where plastic pants with either a cloth diaper or Tena shaped pad on top of my disposable Tena Max diaper to soak up the leak/stream. Here i have no need for plastic pants and secondary protection.

Now an added benefit for me is that they look like tight fitting shorts/cycling shorts and so my wife doesn’t bat an eyelid when i go to bed/get out of bed and walk around the house. If i did the same with plastic pants/disposables showing my wife would say cover up! Yes of course visitors would probably wonder what i am wearing but for my better other half it’s out-of-sight out-of-mind kind of thing.

One point to note, They’re tight fitting but to my surprise this helps rather than hinders when it comes to leaking. Had assumed it would compromise absorbency but it seems to help stop the leak spreading too far. As for discretely wearing with a MegaMax, when has wearing a MegaMax ever been discrete😂. The protec briefs are most definitely more discrete in terms of size and sound than cloth diapers and plastic pants a top a disposable diaper.

So how is it i’ve survived with just the one so far? First of all i’m only bladder IC and probably wear for on average of three nights and then throw in the morning wash ready to use again at night. Haven’t yet used during the day. Small leaks are absorbed and don’t necessitate a wash unless there’s strong odour. I tend to drink plenty of fluids and so my urine is not so concentrated. However, i’m not so sure how they would help with the smell of bowel IC. Assume only well sealing air tight-ish plastic pants would help here?

Yes I too like that they’re more passable clothing should anyone see. They’re high at the back but not so high at the front. The wrap around completes the front and at first I had wished it higher but despite sleeping on my front at times, it’s caught everything so far.

They’re extremely well made, very impressed, hence the price. IMHO well worth the price tag.
They have a size/fit guarantee and will exchange, haven’t tested this myself. However, i did email them before ordering and they suggested I try the Medium and exchange if this didn’t fit. FYI, I wear Tena/BetterDry/NS MegaMax in a Medium. I think going up a size would have made them baggy and quite possibly not as effective at containing a leak/steam.

As previously stated i own one pair, get on average three days before a morning wash. Everybody is different and I’m just bladder IC.

To be honest i had reservations before spending on them. WELL WORTH THE MONEY IMHO.

Hope this helps.

If you do invest, let me know how they work for you.
Thank you for the reply. They sound and look pretty good from what I an see. I guess I will try one after the first. I will most likely just do one until I know how they work and fit. I would like to do the 3 but hell I already spend $200 a month on diapers. If I decide I like them and if I decide to use them during the day then the next month I might pick up 3 more.

I know Mega Max is not real discrete under clothes compared to most diapers but I have always been able to hide them pretty well. The key is wearing them always so one day you don't have a big but and then a small one the next day. LOl But looking at photos of people in them they really look like they hold the diaper under them firm to you and kinda blend the edges around the back of the diaper. What is a few more layers anyway.

It is just sad what I spend every month on diapers trying to stay dry. This is one of those things that might save me a little in the long run. I might be able to get another few more hours out of each diaper with this because I am not worried about leaks. I never really push my diapers to the point they really leak bad anyway although it does happen with all diapers at some point even when not full.

Back