What do people who are just incontinent think about AB/DLs?

DiaperedTeddyBear

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I've always found it odd that this site included IC along with AB and DL. So I'm curious, what do people who just wear diapers for incontinence think of those of us who wear diapers for fun?

Do you think we're a little weird? Is there any anger or resentment there because you don't like wearing diapers, but you have to, and we don't have to wear diapers, but we like to? (I felt that kind of anger when I got glasses as a kid, and then my sister some non-prescription glasses to wear for fashion reasons, so that’s why I ask.) Do you get upset when you’re shopping online for adult diapers and see the ones with the cute ABDL prints listed along side the medical ones?

I imagine the strictly incontinent members here somewhat accept ABDL, since they are on a forum that includes them. Have any of you been on other incontinent forums where the ABDL lifestyle was looked down upon? Has your attitude changed at all since being on this forum?

To those of you were incontinent first before you became ABDL, what were your attitudes towards AB/DLs before you became one, and if it was negative, what changed your mind?

Reactions: Diprs2, charliee and Prillprillprill
Because of the AB/DL market there’s a greater choice of nappies and capacity's
also it take the hum drum day to day out of 24/7 nappy wearing
I was DL but have developed IC issues so I have a great choice of nappies
Hey I’ve even ordered Crinklz aquanaut for my night time nappy as the standard Better dry was out of stock in a Large at NRU

Reactions: Diprs2 and blaincorrous
@blissfullyquirky This has been discussed many times before. ADISC is a very unique support community: What is ADISC.org?
Our primary mission is to support our members through the diaper-related challenges they face.

Years ago, the Incontinence Forum did not exist. Incontinence related posts typically appeared on the Adult Diapers Forum. Admin determined that there would be benefit to create an Incontinence Forum because many of the incontinence discussions were not about diapers. Much like there is an Adult Baby Forum because many of the AB discussions were not about diapers. I became a member immediately after the Incontinence Forum was created, as the Incontinence Forum made it easier for me to participate in the area of interest for me.

blissfullyquirky said:
Do you think we're a little weird?
I think everyone is a little weird!
blissfullyquirky said:
Is there any anger or resentment there because you don't like wearing diapers, but you have to, and we don't have to wear diapers, but we like to?
Your question shows naiveté. That is not meant as a put down, and I am not angry or resentful for the reasons you give or your naiveté. Incontinence is a symptom of a medical issue, and there are many medical issues that cause incontinence. Do I want to be incontinent... NO! But more importantly, I don't want the serious health issues that cause my incontinence. Life is what it is though, so I make the best of it and am content. Do I care that you enjoy wearing diapers? Not at all. Best not to let it consume your life. And change often to avoid diaper rash!
blissfullyquirky said:
Do you get upset when you’re shopping online for adult diapers and see the ones with the cute ABDL prints listed along side the medical ones?
No. If you read enough posts you will find that most of the DLs prefer solid color or camouflage print, not cute AB prints. You will also see that those who are strictly incontinent tend to use white or a solid color, especially when dealing with medical professionals. Personally, I wear white. I would buy prints that are more mature. And when I say mature, I mean a print that would appear on men's underwear, not something stodgy.
blissfullyquirky said:
I imagine the strictly incontinent members here somewhat accept ABDL, since they are on a forum that includes them.
As long as they follow the guidelines laid out at the top of every page of the Incontinence Forum, I have no issue with ABDLs participating. The problem is that many ignore the guidelines. I don't want to be told in the Incontinence Forum that I'm lucky I have to wear diapers or I'm already a big baby cause I wear diapers and should just embrace it. Acceptance has boundaries and ADISC has done a great job of setting boundaries via the different forums that should be honored.
blissfullyquirky said:
Have any of you been on other incontinent forums where the ABDL lifestyle was looked down upon?
Yes. But when I have to prove that I am not ABDL to participate then I'm not interested. A control freak of any persuasion is always bad news.

Welcome to the ADISC Incontinence Forum!

Reactions: Diprs2, Etienne, Kellycares and 12 others
blissfullyquirky said:
I've always found it odd that this site included IC along with AB and DL. So I'm curious, what do people who just wear diapers for incontinence think of those of us who wear diapers for fun?

Do you think we're a little weird? Is there any anger or resentment there because you don't like wearing diapers, but you have to, and we don't have to wear diapers, but we like to? (I felt that kind of anger when I got glasses as a kid, and then my sister some non-prescription glasses to wear for fashion reasons, so that’s why I ask.) Do you get upset when you’re shopping online for adult diapers and see the ones with the cute ABDL prints listed along side the medical ones?

I imagine the strictly incontinent members here somewhat accept ABDL, since they are on a forum that includes them. Have any of you been on other incontinent forums where the ABDL lifestyle was looked down upon? Has your attitude changed at all since being on this forum?

To those of you were incontinent first before you became ABDL, what were your attitudes towards AB/DLs before you became one, and if it was negative, what changed your mind?
There are IC specific forums where ABDL are frowned upon, and I have seen them, yes. The 2 biggest things I've seen on IC specific forums are disdain, and confusion. I'm sure that at least some of the people on the forums that look down on ABDL, do think, "GD diaper freaks," and wish ABDLs didn't exist, when they see, particularly AB designs, next to typical stuff, although, I'd think some of them would find some designs, like maybe Rearz Rebels, Northshore solid colors and tiedye, and Forsite Mary Janes, cool. Secretly, quite a few IC people are glad plain white diapers, designed for the ABDL market, are here.

CheshireCat said something everyone should know. IC is never just it's. It's always a symptom of something bigger. Thanks to him, for saying so. Not every IC person needs diapers. That's why the IC products aisle is full of pads, belted garments, pullups, and all kinds of things.

Reactions: Diprs2, DandyAndy, huggiesthick and 1 other person
blissfullyquirky said:
Do you think we're a little weird? Is there any anger or resentment there because you don't like wearing diapers, but you have to, and we don't have to wear diapers, but we like to?
That definitely exists, but not really here so much I don't think.

I think both groups kind of compliment each other anyway. I've learned some tricks and techniques from IC folks, like how to properly diaper myself standing. (seriously would have never figured that out on my own because I'm dumb with basic things sometimes) However, I'd like to think we helped some IC folks by actually being enthusiastic to wear for comfort and a feeling of security, where normies would likely echo the stigma that diaper wearing as an adult is embarrassing and dehumanizing or whatever.

Reactions: Diprs2 and huggiesthick
I am incontinent so I have to wear diapers and had issues in my childhood struggling with bedwetting and soiling so any interest in diapers I developed with trying to help my wetting and soiling issues so there were a number of struggles over diapers growing up my mother would threaten me many times with diapers she did buy a pack of Ambeze once which was an utter failure as far as people thinking abs are weird or pedophiles some of the behaviors exhibited by ABs can lead to those beliefs like talking about masturbating in diapers which is a sexual thing which can lead to other misconceptions I personally do not believe that but I can see where the misconceptions I really don't care to see adults with bibs and pacifiers, especially when later use of pacifiers can lead to dental issues my brother found out the hard way he didn't suck on pacifiers but he did suck on his index finger till almost his teens and as a result wound up with braces I

I am not ABDL but know and acknowledge the ABDL community otherwise I wouldn't be here I do wear diapers but I do not get into pretending that I am something that I am not but if it makes you happy that's your thing

Reactions: Diprs2, MullbG and huggiesthick
This question seems to surface time and again, and the answers are varied. Finding ourselves trying to work together is important and I don’t find it a problem, mostly. What creates issues from an incontinent person are intrusive questions for the purpose of titillation. ”How wet were you….” “Did anyone notice….” “Who changed you…” And barf barf barf.

Reactions: Diprs2, Soupsoup72, AUG168 and 6 others
blissfullyquirky said:

I am not IC, I do have nocturia but it does not really cause me to wet the bed it's annoying to get up sometimes 4 times in the night. Luckily for me, I already use nappies so I'm sorted for a time where it does start to become an issue. All this aside here is my opinion...

I suppose people who wear for fun or for other reasons other than being IC can empathise with people who have genuine issues. If I were Incontinent I would definitely feel more comfortable discussing issues and topics with people who have to go through similar experiences. For instance, I like to be discrete with my wearing, I don't want absolutely everyone to know I wear nappies for instance, save for a few close friends and family members. I would imagine most IC people are at least on this level. Even though I have people to discuss these parts of me it would be way more comfortable having someone to relate to on a more base level. For instance, I would love to have an IC partner as I can relate to that person on so many levels, and to me, if someone else is doing something in my group I feel way more comfortable doing it, on top of this I heard a story from a girl I was talking to a few years ago, she had uncontrollable bedtime incontinence and had to wear diapers. Her ex-boyfriend disowned her for having an issue that she could not control. I think this was absolutely terrible and would never like this to happen to anyone ever, as I would never want it to happen to me due to the way I am with a future partner.

In short, the only difference between an AB/DL is that IC can't control when and where they go to the bathroom. Setting aside sexual aspects as I know not all AB/DLs are 100% sexual about their kink at least for me it's a more deep-rooted part of me and is not always sexual. I can't help but say we are not really that different after all are we?

daylight said:
This question seems to surface time and again, and the answers are varied. Finding ourselves trying to work together is important and I don’t find it a problem, mostly. What creates issues from an incontinent person are intrusive questions for the purpose of titillation. ”How wet were you….” “Did anyone notice….” “Who changed you…” And barf barf barf.

This brings me to the potential issues with some people realising that the same with AB/DL's not always being sexual. IC's are more often not sexual at all. All I have to say is some people just don't have good bedside manners. There are times and places and situations that are appropriate for certain things.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
There are IC specific forums where ABDL are frowned upon, and I have seen them, yes. The 2 biggest things I've seen on IC specific forums are disdain, and confusion. I'm sure that at least some of the people on the forums that look down on ABDL, do think, "GD diaper freaks," and wish ABDLs didn't exist, when they see, particularly AB designs, next to typical stuff, although, I'd think some of them would find some designs, like maybe Rearz Rebels, Northshore solid colors and tiedye, and Forsite Mary Janes, cool. Secretly, quite a few IC people are glad plain white diapers, designed for the ABDL market, are here.

CheshireCat said something everyone should know. IC is never just it's. It's always a symptom of something bigger. Thanks to him, for saying so. Not every IC person needs diapers. That's why the IC products aisle is full of pads, belted garments, pullups, and all kinds of things.

And finally, you hit it on the nail here SpAzpieSweeTot, without AB/DL's we would all be stuck with terrible nappies! Most of the best nappies out there are from companies that are AB-friendly. Rearz, Tykeables, ABU and many more. All do both plain and AB diapers (Save for Tykeables I think they only do AB?). So we all help each other. We have our similarities and we have our differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, MullbG and huggiesthick
Y’all nailed it, spot on! Mic drop.

Reactions: Diprs2
CheshireCat said:
@blissfullyquirky This has been discussed many times before. ADISC is a very unique support community: What is ADISC.org?

Years ago, the Incontinence Forum did not exist. Incontinence related posts typically appeared on the Adult Diapers Forum. Admin determined that there would be benefit to create an Incontinence Forum because many of the incontinence discussions were not about diapers. Much like there is an Adult Baby Forum because many of the AB discussions were not about diapers. I became a member immediately after the Incontinence Forum was created, as the Incontinence Forum made it easier for me to participate in the area of interest for me.

I think everyone is a little weird!

Your question shows naiveté. That is not meant as a put down, and I am not angry or resentful for the reasons you give or your naiveté. Incontinence is a symptom of a medical issue, and there are many medical issues that cause incontinence. Do I want to be incontinent... NO! But more importantly, I don't want the serious health issues that cause my incontinence. Life is what it is though, so I make the best of it and am content. Do I care that you enjoy wearing diapers? Not at all. Best not to let it consume your life. And change often to avoid diaper rash!

No. If you read enough posts you will find that most of the DLs prefer solid color or camouflage print, not cute AB prints. You will also see that those who are strictly incontinent tend to use white or a solid color, especially when dealing with medical professionals. Personally, I wear white. I would buy prints that are more mature. And when I say mature, I mean a print that would appear on men's underwear, not something stodgy.

As long as they follow the guidelines laid out at the top of every page of the Incontinence Forum, I have no issue with ABDLs participating. The problem is that many ignore the guidelines. I don't want to be told in the Incontinence Forum that I'm lucky I have to wear diapers or I'm already a big baby cause I wear diapers and should just embrace it. Acceptance has boundaries and ADISC has done a great job of setting boundaries via the different forums that should be honored.

Yes. But when I have to prove that I am not ABDL to participate then I'm not interested. A control freak of any persuasion is always bad news.

Welcome to the ADISC Incontinence Forum!
Well said! Like a legal brief damn near.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
Well, I think being exposed to ABDL comes with a certain level of consent, even if you’re a diaper wearing IC sufferer. That’s why this forum exists, to be a bridge and a gate of consent.

Not every IC person wants to see us. I could theorize why that is. Some variation of “misery loves company” perhaps. Honestly, I think we are doing our best for acceptance and trying to turn against that miserably tendency, and some people aren’t ready to be content in their circumstances. Our work is moving people through phases, essentially.

PaddedShooterBooty27 said:
And finally, you hit it on the nail here SpAzpieSweeTot, without AB/DL's we would all be stuck with terrible nappies! Most of the best nappies out there are from companies that are AB-friendly. Rearz, Tykeables, ABU and many more. All do both plain and AB diapers (Save for Tykeables I think they only do AB?). So we all help each other. We have our similarities and we have our differences.
It's a shame that it took the ABDL community to get some decent adult diapers developed and marketed. I remember before that how the diapers kept getting thinner and cheaper every year. Now most of the stores I visit don't even have adult diapers anymore, just pull ups, which I guess work fine for mild incontinence, and those people probably don't want to wear diapers, but pull ups don't work as well as diapers for heavy incontinence, and if I was IC I think I'd be really grateful for brands like BetterDry.

Reactions: DLPeakOut and Diprs2
blissfullyquirky said:
It's a shame that it took the ABDL community to get some decent adult diapers developed and marketed. I remember before that how the diapers kept getting thinner and cheaper every year. Now most of the stores I visit don't even have adult diapers anymore, just pull ups, which I guess work fine for mild incontinence, and those people probably don't want to wear diapers, but pull ups don't work as well as diapers for heavy incontinence, and if I was IC I think I'd be really grateful for brands like BetterDry.
Exactly, that's why I prefer the more premium brands and AB nappies as they are just so much better and often don't cost terribly much more than medical briefs. I stopped wearing the medical ones when they started to become thinner and lower in quality. In my experience, the best medical nappies I've used were Abenas (plastic, not cloth 🤮), ID, BetterDry (I do believe ComfiCare were superior, therefore not a fan) and Molicare (excellent stealth nappy). The latest medical brief I've bought is from Rearz I believe and that is their elite in control velcro and they are amazing.

blaincorrous said:
Well, I think being exposed to ABDL comes with a certain level of consent, even if you’re a diaper wearing IC sufferer. That’s why this forum exists, to be a bridge and a gate of consent.

Not every IC person wants to see us. I could theorize why that is. Some variation of “misery loves company” perhaps. Honestly, I think we are doing our best for acceptance and trying to turn against that miserably tendency, and some people aren’t ready to be content in their circumstances. Our work is moving people through phases, essentially.
Excellent point on consent there, hence why most of us try to be as discrete as possible in our practices. No one I've told so far has really been abstinent about me wearing about and I would always be fully clothed to some degree (not running about bottomless for instance) but not entirely trying to hide it. I would certainly always be as discrete as I can be in public. It's like anything, if you force it upon people they will become more resistant to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLPeakOut and Diprs2
I am a long-time member on ADISC. I am medically incontinent - both bowel and bladder and wear diapers 24/7 for need. I also am a bedwetter. After a period of years I have fully accepted my circumstance and now manage it well.

Years ago when I first was searching for information on diapers, ABDL forums were the first I encountered. I do not think that ABDL is “weird.” Much of it is interesting but just does not apply to me.

I participate in both ABDL forums and moderated IC-only forums. In ABDL forums I usually post only in the incontinence section (where I think I can make a contribution) but I read much of the other content. Both ABDL and IC forums have their place and often are sources of useful information for anyone who is IC.

I have observed that the ABDL community forums often are the earliest sources of information on new diapers and related products. ABDLs generally are more willing to discuss their personal experiences with specific diapers than newly incontinents.

Kudos to the ABDL community for having prompted the development of more absorbent and better quality diapers.

On the flip side, IC forums are better sources for specialized information about managing incontinence, medications, full-time diaper wear, rashes and their treatment, adaptive clothing (onesies, etc.), and the emotional aspects of being IC. One example of “specialized information” is the use of enemas for the management of fecal incontinence:poop: (which I do).:eek:

We all need to try harder understand and be tolerant of others, their needs, and their ideas.

—John
(double incontinent)

Reactions: Diprs2 and antte91
blissfullyquirky said:

Do you think we're a little weird? Do you get upset when you’re shopping online for adult diapers and see the ones with the cute ABDL prints listed along side the medical ones?

"Do you think we're a little weird?" Yes, i do, but i do like women wearing latex, that is not really better. 😁

"Do you get upset when you’re shopping online for adult diapers and see the ones with the cute ABDL prints listed along side the medical ones?"

No, not at all, i think they are cute, but i would never wear them, because i need to be taken seriously for my medical condition.
And to be fair, some ABDL brands do have really great medical type diapers.

"Have any of you been on other incontinent forums where the ABDL lifestyle was looked down upon?"

Yes, my German forum has very strict rules, ABDL themes are not allowed. Sometimes this can be problematic, for example when asking about ABDL diapers like "Megamax". They try to exclude ABDL as best as possible, and in the beginning i liked that, because it is really hard to find information about diapers without ABDL related to it.

"Has your attitude changed at all since being on this forum?"

Yes, now i am more relaxed about it and i appreciate the experience from the community.
I have got that not very popular kind of incontinence called NDO, which results in completely emptying the bladder, and this is where the ABDL have the most experience with, much more than most otherwise incontinent people, like weak bladder, overflow, or dribble type.

And, this may sound weird either, sometimes i stumble about young (younger than me), good looking people wearing diapers on the internet when looking for information, most of them will be ABDL, and i like seeing this because i personally feel less weird about the need of wearing myself.
Like, when young people are wearing (for fun) it is not that bad at all, is it? ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Diprs2, CptKirk, antte91 and 1 other person
blissfullyquirky said:
I've resisted replying to this thread to think about it..
blissfullyquirky said:
Do you think we're a little weird?
I'll be blunt here: I think it is weird for an adult to behave like a baby. I'd love to go back to the years of my prime, but to be a baby?
blissfullyquirky said:
Is there any anger or resentment there because you don't like wearing diapers, but you have to, and we don't have to wear diapers, but we like to? (I felt that kind of anger when I got glasses as a kid, and then my sister some non-prescription glasses to wear for fashion reasons, so that’s why I ask.)
No anger or resentment. I think most people understand about fetishes, even though some are difficult to understand. For example, why anyone would purposely want to poop themselves is beyond me.
blissfullyquirky said:
Do you get upset when you’re shopping online for adult diapers and see the ones with the cute ABDL prints listed along side the medical ones?
No. I have no desire whatsoever to wear "cute ABDL prints". Once I put on my plain white diaper, nobody sees it again until I take it off (and then it's only me). When shopping online, I just grimace at the "baby-wear". If there was a cost advantage (which there never is), I might take a second look. But the reality is that I wouldn't want to be caught in those offerings. IC is embarrassing enough.
blissfullyquirky said:
My attitude has not really changed. It saddens me to read about old men with knee problems trying to be a baby on the floor so they can play with toy trains, or adults trying to fit a high chair, or searching for an adult sized car seat. Even sadder are the marriages/relationships that suffer because the ABDL'r wants their spouse to cater to their every baby need (they need to be less selfish). Agreed that these are extremes but they sadden me to read about.

The DL aspect is much easier to understand even though the general public will still think it strange.

My general feeling is that the ABDL community makes it uncomfortable for me as an IC. If people notice that I am wearing a diaper in public, they'll assume that "he must be one of those AB/DL folk". I hate that assumption. On the plus side, as has been said before, the AB/DL community has been a help in getting better diapers / products made. Overall, it's a mixed bag for me.

Reactions: Diprs2, CptKirk, Saltedcaramel64 and 1 other person
I've been IC since the beginning. I'm not an ABDL person.
- weird? Sort of. But the world is full of everyone. I like "spice."
- anger or resentment? No. But if I didn't have to wear diapers I would certainly not wear them at all.
- upset about ABDL printed diapers? No. I don't use them but they are cute. (the spice of life)
- other forums look down ABDL? I've been to a few other forums. They have there place. Here at adisc, I like inclusive.
- being IC first and then became ABDL? I'm just an IC person. I think ABDL is interesting but in a different way.

slimjiminy said:
I've resisted replying to this thread to think about it..

I'll be blunt here: I think it is weird for an adult to behave like a baby. I'd love to go back to the years of my prime, but to be a baby?

No anger or resentment. I think most people understand about fetishes, even though some are difficult to understand. For example, why anyone would purposely want to poop themselves is beyond me.

No. I have no desire whatsoever to wear "cute ABDL prints". Once I put on my plain white diaper, nobody sees it again until I take it off (and then it's only me). When shopping online, I just grimace at the "baby-wear". If there was a cost advantage (which there never is), I might take a second look. But the reality is that I wouldn't want to be caught in those offerings. IC is embarrassing enough.

My attitude has not really changed. It saddens me to read about old men with knee problems trying to be a baby on the floor so they can play with toy trains, or adults trying to fit a high chair, or searching for an adult sized car seat. Even sadder are the marriages/relationships that suffer because the ABDL'r wants their spouse to cater to their every baby need (they need to be less selfish). Agreed that these are extremes but they sadden me to read about.

The DL aspect is much easier to understand even though the general public will still think it strange.

My general feeling is that the ABDL community makes it uncomfortable for me as an IC. If people notice that I am wearing a diaper in public, they'll assume that "he must be one of those AB/DL folk". I hate that assumption. On the plus side, as has been said before, the AB/DL community has been a help in getting better diapers / products made. Overall, it's a mixed bag for me.
you and I both share a lot of the same feelings about this

Reactions: Diprs2 and slimjiminy
slimjiminy said:

My general feeling is that the ABDL community makes it uncomfortable for me as an IC. If people notice that I am wearing a diaper in public, they'll assume that "he must be one of those AB/DL folk".

Yes, this is a point, i can understand the DL much more than the AB, but in the end it is (for me) just a kind of roleplay and i do not think to much about it.

Do you really think outside the people will assume you are wearing for fun when they spot you with a diaper?
My first thought would be otherwise, as long it is not an AB diaper. There are literally millions of incontinent people in Germany alone.
Most will be have "minor issues" but they will need some kind of pads / protection in every way.
The cliche is of course incontinence happens to older people, but when i am in the continence clinic there a lot of other obviously incontinent my age or much younger. Mostly women below 40.

Reactions: Diprs2, LordDuque and ShyBoo81
slimjiminy said:
I would love to be back to my prime years when the body wasn't giving as much pain and I had the strength and stamina as well. To some extent, I've got a little bit more where I feel I can see the AB side of things (especially after years of talking to a therapist). For me, I had a mother who was clinical in how she treated me and worked plenty of hours to the point that my sister and I were often alone on coming home from school for several hours at a young age. We often would get on the city bus to go across town on our own for appointments or something to do. I had to be mature at a very young age, so there are times that younger side of life is appealing.
Yes, fetishes are something extremely complex. Many psychiatrists have a difficult time trying to figure out where they come from, I don't know how many possible PhD people have looked into over the years. A lot of the time you can't come up with a generalization on them, but instead often find a diverse set of reasons when looking from one person to the next.

Again, I find younger aspects of life to be appealing from time to time based on how I had to grow up. I like animation (not just kid's cartoons, but things like Futurama, or other adult-oriented shows). I don't mind printed diapers, they're better than plain boring white diapers. I enjoy if my spouse does things to care for me from time to time, but I live an adult life 99.9% of the time. My wife and I collect Dr. Seuss artwork. While he was famous for his children's books and artistry, there is also an adult side of his work that was never really mainstream. There are great ways to combine that younger side of life with the adult side.

I try to avoid listening to others out in public. I keep things as discreet as possible, I think I've only heard comments a handful of times over my years and most people will keep quiet. One of the best things about the ABDL community getting out there (especially with sites like ADISC) is that companies have started to create higher quality products for use. Some of them are prints, some are plain, but compared to what you might find in a local brick-and-mortar store, the difference is incredible.

Back