Were you babied as a child?

Lily12345 said:
I've been understanding why I enjoy being in my little space so much and it goes back to my childhood. I had this discussion with my parents and they said they'd do it differently and be more hands on, but were happy I still became a caring and smart young woman.

I grew up in the UK in the early 00s and my parents had read a load of information about child led parenting. I was also the oldest sibling with two sisters 3 andn5 years younger..My adisc enjoyment comes from the early childhood I remember . I wasn't potty trained until after my first year of school (around 6), being homeschooled until 5. I could have trained by 3 but they always waited for me to show lots of interest, but with younger sisters j was never too bothered. It was a teacher challenging my parents I never used pull ups I school which after a long debate had me trained.

I had night nappies until 13, again I didn't nerd them past 10, I did have accidents but these were rare. My parents embarrassed me on long trips by putting me in drynites. They thought the very unlikely event of me having an accident would be worse .

I was also never weaned off my dummy, I had one all the time until 7 and again in bed until 13. It was relaxing so whilst I was embarrassed I just needed a little nudge to get rid and would be fine. They regretted the dental costs on braces and repair work.

I just wanted to share this as it's helped me understand, this is what I knew as a child and why I still enjoy these ideas now. Did anyone else have a childhood like this? And has it caused you to want to go back to little space more?
I was never had my dummies taken away from me because I have autism and adhd so used them as coping method after school or if I was stressed and I still use them now and then. I was born in 1998 .

Reactions: Rezzu and Pacifyingmyautism
PrissySammy said:
all through out high school i still was required to wear the diaper, only at school i was allowed to wear pants
Same with me. I had to wear diapers and rubber pants after we had dinner, mom would give me a bath and then diaper me for the night. This went on all through high school until I my bedwetting stopped. I had to wear diapers during the day too on weekends when we went out someplace, or the movies or sunday church. I did mind though, it was easier to just wet my diapers, or poop sometimes and mommy changed me.

Reactions: PrissySammy
DummyAddict14 said:
I was never had my dummies taken away from me because I have autism and adhd so used them as coping method after school or if I was stressed and I still use them now and then. I was born in 1998 .
I envy those who never stopped using their dummies having autism they do help and in hindsight I would’ve loved young Aar to continue using dummies.

I have a few very distinctive memories of being babied until about 6 or 7. Some of it was practical because of my disability, and some was my parents understanding it was a comfort thing. Because of my Cerebral Palsy I didn't learn to walk in a useful and effective way until I was 4.

I have very specific memories of being carried into preschool, both loving it and not being embarrassed at all. I also remember visiting my grandparents house one Friday evening when I was 5, and begging my mom for a diaper because I needed to go. I remember she was reluctant, but not surprised, so I'm pretty sure it was something I did somewhat regularly even though I had been potty trained for years. I didn't stop wearing diapers to bed until I was 6 or 7, and missed them immediately.

I was also babied a little by my teachers. Because the walk to the school cafeteria for lunch was a bit long for me, I was allowed to be pushed in a big kid stroller until I was in 3rd grade. I didn't really need them to do that, but it was more comfortable and easier so I never turned down the offer. I was so annoyed when I had to switch from the stroller to a wheelchair. It just felt wrong, and I started walking to lunch pretty quickly after that. It was a whole thing. I much preferred being seen as babyish then having a disability.

I never gave up my favorite stuffed animal which my mom had given me before I can remember. I carried her openly on car trips until I was 12, and then hid her in a pillow case on vacations. I didn't start leaving her at home for overnight trips until college. She still sits on my bed today.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fredy552, Rezzu and dogboy
No not by my Parents or family. But the girls always picked me to be the baby and would put me in diapers and make me wet the diaper. I guess that is where I got to where I liked diapers. :giggle:

Lyric said:
Same with me. I had to wear diapers and rubber pants after we had dinner, mom would give me a bath and then diaper me for the night. This went on all through high school until I my bedwetting stopped. I had to wear diapers during the day too on weekends when we went out someplace, or the movies or sunday church. I did mind though, it was easier to just wet my diapers, or poop sometimes and mommy changed me.
being easier to check was also the reason mom preferred giving me short skirts or dresses than pants.

It´s so awesome to read all these messages where a mother has been so fully supportive and treated babyish way if you wanted so!!😍🥰 I know that I have been always like momma´s little boy and I still am!👶👩‍🍼 I wish that I could have been more open about my little side as I am now ☺️🩷 I recently had an accident where I broke my feet and was on surgery and then recovering at my mom´s place which was very much needed and now me and my paw feel a way better!☺️

Reactions: dogboy
My parents were overprotective with me because I'm autistic and had open heart surgery as a baby. I'm not sure if that's babying.

Reactions: diaperkool
Lily12345 said:
...I still became a caring and smart young woman.

It's so great to hear a woman speak of themselves like this. I appreciate you saying this!

I don't know if I was babied. I think sort of in between maybe because it was only one situation. When I was 11, my parents bought a minivan which had a special harness on the middle seat because there wasn’t a full seat belt. Being the youngest of three, my parents made me sit between my brothers and wear the harness which I really hated.

My Dad or Mom had to put it on me and hook it and unhook it from the seat because I couldn't do that myself (literally). It sounds weird but it was sort of like a voice saying I didn't have permission to so certain things. Like someone always saying “wait for Mom” or "Dad has to help." I always had to be the first in and the last out. I hated spending so many times sitting strapped in and waiting for everyone else. It made me feel like I wasn’t allowed to help with what everyone else was doing. There was a sibling-level thing too where I wanted to be like my brothers and friends using a normal seat belt. When I was strapped in I couldn’t lean anywhere but my brothers could lean where they wanted and pick stuff up they dropped. I took that to mean they could be trusted over me (I was way better behaved than them generally).

More than anything, I remember it took away the choices I normally had that did make me feel my age. I was choosing my own clothes at that age but the blue straps of the harness covered whatever I had chosen. I remember that made me feel like I couldn't "be me" when we were driving places. I was pretty well-behaved as a kid but I remember that feeling would sometimes make me ask if I could not have to wear it but I got told no every time. When I asked, my Dad or Mom always used some logic based on how the longer I wore it the less chance I stood of ever getting out of having to wear it. That made me feel like I was never growing up even though in every other aspect of my life I was. That contrast was really clear to me.

A lot of it was “only daughter” syndrome too. Like I required some sort of “special protection.” My Mom knew I hated it but tried to compensate in these sort of inadequate ways. She meant it lovingly, but would give me lots false praise like “you don’t fight like your brothers” and would say I was "the example" when they fought even though I'd done nothing. That made me feel pretty small because it felt like being talked down to even though my Mom meant the opposite.

I got better at accepting the harness as I got older but it always made me feel small compared to my Dad, Mom, brothers, friends, etc. That went on until we sold the minivan when I was 15 and in high school.

I had a pretty safety crazy family, so my sister and I were in 5 point harness car seats for a long time. I was in a britax husky until I was 11 because the rule was “you use the seat until you reach the weight limit or you don’t fit.” Now I recently got a Roosevelt car seat for myself that I’ve rode in harnessed a number of times, go figure lol

No because my parents were to worried about "making me tough cause I was a boy" so I was unfortunately forced to potty trained and then a little later on developed my bed wetting problem

From what I remember I wasn't really babied but my dad constantly called me the baby because I was the youngest out of my brothers.

Well, when i was really young, maybe was treated somewhat babish, least i was the youngest but once i was in school, like least by 2-4th grade i was left to do my own thing per se. I was not ever coddeled and parents were the opposite of safety parents, but it was the 70's, and built tree forts, played in the old junkyard, the heavy equipment yard and the train tracks and such all the time by later grade school was pretty much left to do whatever till like dinner or thereabouts and once my brother was 15-16 me 10 we were left at home alone for many days alone, parents went on vacation for a week or so and such without any sitters, maybe a neighbor might look in on us here or there but they left us money and we had plenty of fun! Also Never wore seatbelts, rode motocycles, played with matches and fireworks, always got a brick of firecrackers at the 4th and m80's, and even when i was like 12ish i was running a chainsaw liming trees as we fell timber for firewood (heated with wood 100%) up at the cabin in the summer, and my grandpa being born in 1912 was not a safety person and spent a lot of the summer with him, helped him maintain his apartments, did roofing, electrical, plumbing, etc and learned a lot.

But, i was also one to try to be very adult (not responsible) at a young age and did my own thing, from workng on cars when i was like 12+ and learned to weld about that time too, and also sold things like gum and toothpicks at school for money, bought my first few computers in the 80's myself and they were not cheap back then, think first one was a used one for like 500 bucks for just the computer.

But despite that, at night wether it was mom/dad, brother, sitter, friends family, they all did handle my IC and also my sleepwalking (my bedroom door was locked(had own room), even at cabin and friends cabin (friend/brother was annoyed about it as in the same room), but i was a and still am a menance sleepwalking and use segufix at night for it every night...will tonight after my stomach settles down actually...But the PCA's are always here if i need something anyhow.

But, overall was not babied as a child, and maybe that is also why i have a har time even trying to think as a kid, even when the ex tried to really try to get me into the AB thing. But yet i do like footed pj's and also have a stuffie and prefer a sippy cup(munchkin drink cup 16oz.) to drink from (which i was introduced to by the ex BTW Thanks). But i do tend to act younger than my age for sure, like to joke, like to play pranks, etc...I'd not say it's anywhere near child/baby age nor do i change that and never have since i was young (Say teens/20's) I know some on here think that is old :)

But, overall i'd say that for the 70's I was actually less treated like a child and less protected than some the kids i knew for sure. But I had a lot of fun and the multitude of stiches i needed was well worth the fun, albeit i think a lot of the accidents were due to my nerve issues, especialy the cuts and alike not feeling things till it was too late.

As a matter of fact, the honourest awnser would be yes as I wore diapers/nappies on and off from the ages of one to eight and a half to nine for various reasons.

I remember the blissful feelings of being treated like a baby/toddler and having someone look after me was like heaven on earth so to speak, although not in any religious connotation.

I remember this mostly because I started to remember things from the age of 12-18months onwards as before then it was just a blank but that's okay because the latter years up until I was nearly 5 where spent mostly 24/7 in diapers and this is pretty much what made me a abdl although that's a subject for another day.

I hope this helps awnser your questions.

Reactions: DinoFrant
Back