Wearing Diapers while Flying? How to not get extra attention by the TSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the days where flying was cheaper and there were no baggage and any extra fees and none of that TSA crap. Thanks terrorists. I also miss the days where you could walk through the whole airport and watch planes take off and land and walk with your loved ones or friends to the gate before they take off and watching their plane leave or walking to the gate and waiting for your loved ones or friends to arrive. Yeah I remember all this as a kid.

Calico said:
I miss the days where flying was cheaper and there were no baggage and any extra fees and none of that TSA crap. Thanks terrorists. I also miss the days where you could walk through the whole airport and watch planes take off and land and walk with your loved ones or friends to the gate before they take off and watching their plane leave or walking to the gate and waiting for your loved ones or friends to arrive. Yeah I remember all this as a kid.

Haha! Well, you should. It was only 13 and a half short years ago all that changed. If you couldn't remember those times, you/your family/friends did not fly too much, or you are too young to be here. :)

I flew a lot when I was a child. Then when I was 16, 9/11 happened and I wasn't flying anymore because we hadn't flown since the year 1997.

I flew quite a bit when young as well (still do!) and get really nostalgic for those times past whenever I see an older movie with an airport scene. Especially ones with family meeting family at the gates. My only bad memories involving airports are every single time I said goodbye to my Grandmother after walking her to the gate, watching her shuffle down the long loading bridge, and then watch the plane taxi and maybe even take off. I used to bawl like crazy watching her go, even as I got older too. I guess, in a way, they're good memories and not bad. I am glad to have them. It is saddening that those memories were all taken away by a group of people. Parting with family and friends isn't the same when you are hurriedly jumping out of your car in the "white zone for loading and unloading only". Not much of a send off or welcome now.

I used to love to bug the pilots to see if they would show me the crew station. I still have all the wings that they ever gave me as a child. They used to give out stickers and I would put them on my little suitcase to make it look just like a travel cases from older generations. People were nicer then, things were much more relaxed, not to mention cheaper. Nowadays I would rather drive halfway across the United States rather than fly, more than halfway I fly though, because of the amount of empty useless time you spend just sitting at an airport thanks to security and check-in procedures. Driving is just a much more relaxing and comfortable experience when it comes to inter-state travel. The seats on the airlines have become ridiculous in size and proportion, not to mention they are just plain downright uncomfortable these days.

I remember those wing pins, I forgot about those. I also remember how much space we had on planes and I thought the spaces were so tiny because I had grown and I wasn't little anymore but no it was because they have squeezed more seats on the plane to fit more people and made the seats smaller. So it wasn't because I grew and I hadn't grown much since 6th grade and back then the space and my seat felt bigger and comfy. It's been a problem for tallies and overweight people. Also you can't even sleep on the plane and it's so uncomfortable to sit when you can't recline. I am not sure if each airline varies with size but when I fly again this summer we are flying on American Airlines and US Northwest I think it is on the way back. But even when I flew to Europe it was still hard to sleep on the plane and it was pretty comfortable flying on the way home because I never slept and it was never night time.

I have flown many times and never had any trouble with the TSA. I've worn diapers every time I fly for the simple, you never know what kind of disease that someone on the plane might have and leave some if it in the toilet. I maybe wrong as to how I approach this. When I go through security, I always inform the person that is screening me that I'm wearing a diaper, they usually say ok and thanks for letting them know ahead if time, thats just me.

43goofball43 said:
I have flown many times and never had any trouble with the TSA. I've worn diapers every time I fly for the simple, you never know what kind of disease that someone on the plane might have and leave some if it in the toilet. I maybe wrong as to how I approach this. When I go through security, I always inform the person that is screening me that I'm wearing a diaper, they usually say ok and thanks for letting them know ahead if time, thats just me.

Do you say "diaper"? To whom? At what point during the process?
I can't really imagine being comfortable saying this out loud in the middle of the line...(just my inhibitions or embarrassment I guess). But I did work up the courage, I'd imagine saying "incontinence Pad" or something similar instead (and in a hushed voice with blushed cheeks).

Of course, I wear for pleasure not necessity - so maybe it's all much less practicality for me.

All this worry can easily be avoided. Enroll in the TSA precheck program which is done in conjunction with your airline frequent flier program. It costs $75 for five years and gives you expedited screening including the ability to avoid the back-scatter machine and the requirement to remove shoes. You still have to use the regular x-ray machine but that wont detect wet and messy diapers. Go to tsa.gov/tsa-precheck to enroll. It is well worth it. If you go to the 911 memorial museum in New York City you will have to pass through a back-scatter machine that detects wet and messy diapers. The 911 memorial museum is the only place I know of, other than airports, that uses a back-scatter machine.

I love TSA Precheck, though it cost me a bit more than that. Agreed that it's well worth it. But keep in mind that you'll still randomly be pulled out for regular screening and the Precheck number is no guarantee that you'll sail through security every time.

-RMS

My husband has a medical condition where he has to wear braces around his ankles for support and he has to sit to take off his shoes. There will be no place at the TSA for him to sit to take his shoes off. Anyone have any suggestions what she should do? My mom thinks I should call the airport and talk to the security there. I think I will wait until that week comes when we are leaving that weekend for me to call them. I am sure they can accommodate him. Perhaps let him leave his shoes on and then bring him a wheelchair for him to sit in so he can take them off. I wonder if they will make him take his braces off too, those things take him 20 minutes to put them on. I am thinking we should leave earlier for this.

jeez that list of "suspicious activity" is absolutely absurd (other than Caught in Deception i guess). i could see anyone doing these things for dozens of different reasons. if they don't have any bombs or weapons just send them on their way. how hard is that?

if anyone gets suspected of being a terrorist strictly for wearing a diaper that just further proves the incompetence of the TSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back