UTI‘s and diapers

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
So I have a question that might be kinda obvious but has anyone had a UTI wearing a diaper. Which I know it happens. What is your suggestions to prevent them? I Do air out and I am not 24/7 although I do stay in my diapers for at least 10 hours.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, Jorelaxed and 1 other person
I wear 24/7 for dual incontinence and have had uti’s at about one every other year. It used to be more frequent before I started using a barrier system to keep feces from moving forward. When I wear cloth, which is nearly always, I use a folded terry hand towel as a liner and a folded terry bath towel as a soaker. These towels are folded in thirds, the bath towel is folded over on itself to reduce it to a third its size first, and then they’re placed in my contour or prefold. When I’ve got the diaper and towels between my legs I open the folds up in the front and back of the towels forming a “V” in both areas with them remaining folded between my legs. This presents a barrier for feces moving forward. After using this method I only had one uti and I believe that came during one of the few times I wore Abena M-4s. The bacteria in feces readily causes a uti which is why parents are always told to wipe their infants front to back and why they likely taught you this as a toddler being toilet trained.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and Neroforte
lilshelly said:
So I have a question that might be kinda obvious but has anyone had a UTI wearing a diaper. Which I know it happens. What is your suggestions to prevent them? I Do air out and I am not 24/7 although I do stay in my diapers for at least 10 hours.
That's maybe a bit too long? :unsure: It's difficult, if say you are wearing at night, and you sleep that long? i mean i get UTI's too, and to be honest i think being permanently IC does increase the risk of UTI's unfortunately.

I tend to change around every 6 hours, and 8 hours overnight. Also if you mess? you need to be really careful, and ideally change soon after.

Hope that helps?

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and Neroforte
Right now I have an uti and a yest infection and I am full incontinent and I have to wear diapers 24/7 and I pee everywhere or have a everywhere if I don't have my diaper on

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, Neroforte and 4 others
And I am a female

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, MegaLugia and 1 other person
I have mainly urinary incon and have only had a UTI once that I can recall.
I have been wearing 24/7 for many years.
I do try to wear ultra high absorbency diapers to maintain maximum dryness and diminish the chance of another UTI

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
Oceansky2021 said:
And I am a female
I'm sorry for you, that's not much fun. 🫂

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and MegaLugia
No it is not I am on antibiotics right now

• Sad
Oceansky2021 said:
No it is not I am on antibiotics right now
Hope it clears up for you.

Me to and if it does not work then it is a different kind of infection

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, ILuvDiapers and 2 others
Try & change more frequently. If you can every 4-5 hours
Diaper UTI's are way less common that Cath UTI's but they can happen
make sure to speak to your doctor & get meds
Keep clean as possible. Airing out will help your skin but doesn't really do anything to prevent UTI
Generally those are caused by bacteria getting up your urethra. Make sure to clean pee & poo area well ensuring you don't wipe back to front

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, ILuvDiapers and 2 others
I suck at wiping and I am on antibiotics right now

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and ILuvDiapers
And I check every two hours will I am so post to

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
Only had one infection so far whilst wearing my Nappies and that was almost certainly not brought on by wearing as I had tried a catheter the day before.
I trust my Nappies to look after me and they do just that !

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, ILuvDiapers and 1 other person
Oceansky2021 said:
Me to and if it does not work then it is a different kind of infection
Well i do too. 🫂

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
I'm on 24/7 too m4 are ok upgrade to megamax recently super comfy for long day

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and ILuvDiapers
I use betterdry am going to try Abeana. I don't know. The mega max were good but the shipping has become an issue since they require a $150 purchase for free shipping

Reactions: Neroforte and Edgewater
lilshelly said:
I use betterdry am going to try Abeana. I don't know. The mega max were good but the shipping has become an issue since they require a $150 purchase for free shipping
Abena is available in most medical supply stores as well as Amazon
L4 is my daily diaper

Reactions: Diprs2, Neroforte and Edgewater
Oceansky2021 said:
I suck at wiping and I am on antibiotics right now
Perhaps you would benefit from a bidet which may help with your wiping efforts.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Where will I get that

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Back