Urodynamic test

Yeah, I went on a cath for quite a long time, like 18mo...but UTI which I cant really feel well in that area, ended up with kidney issues, was on antibiotics prob 12mo out of the 18.

but that is me, and it wasnt a careful/cleaning issue, my then live in GF is a nurse, so did as much as I could...Even looked into supra pubic, but I really hate drs and even less any sorta cutting.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Edgewater, Babybub and 1 other person
Cut to the chase ask your doctor for methenamine it cuts your risk of UTIs if your doing anything with catheters, I've had a year of hell with ISC and only now has methenamine been suggested to me after I became resistant to two types of antibiotics.
*Edit I should rephrase that I've not had a year of hell with the ISC once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty easy but I've been on countless antibiotics over the last year for infections some of which I didn't even know I had like the above post so you really do want to cut the risk of infection, the issue with retention is your dammed if you don't do ISC (kidney damage and stones etc) and your dammed if you do because of the risk of UTIs. I can't Be 100% certainly sure that ISC is to blame for my infections urine isn't sterile as commonly believed but it's certainly a contributor methenamine is a antimicrobial that makes your urine inhospitable. My urologist suggests surgery but has advised me to avoid it for as long as possible and that's understandable as once you do it you can't go back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie07601, Edgewater and Diprs2
Thanks for all your information. It helps. I don't need any surgery which is a relief. Let’s see how bladder training goes. I am not sure what the success rate is for bladder training.

Reactions: Freddie07601 and Edgewater
UrgentWees said:
Yep. My bladder goes haywire after those tests. I was still wearing undies and able to make it to the toilet during the day when I had my first one done after I started bedwetting and weirdly had to do three full wees in the hour afterwards. The nurse had a chuckle and told my urologist I’d worn a hole in the floor going to and from the bathroom when he asked if I’d voided my bladder yet.
I hate this damn test and always try to weasel my way around it. I find the test itself pain- and stressfull as I abhor catheters. The aftermath also sucks. It's a weird burning pain along my urethra, accompanied by occasinal penis-farts(which is not as funny as it sounds, it hurts). On top of that my bladder acts as if it is angry and will void in a higher frequency and more "aggressive" for at least a day.

Cheers

Reactions: Freddie07601, Edgewater and UrgentWees
LifeInPlastic said:
I hate this damn test and always try to weasel my way around it. I find the test itself pain- and stressfull as I abhor catheters. The aftermath also sucks. It's a weird burning pain along my urethra, accompanied by occasinal penis-farts(which is not as funny as it sounds, it hurts). On top of that my bladder acts as if it is angry and will void in a higher frequency and more "aggressive" for at least a day.

Cheers
Yeah, it’s super irritating. I’ve had a case of the penis farts from long term in dwelling catheter use but not from urodynamics testing. It didn’t hurt, thought. Just felt weird. Sorry you were in pain.

LifeInPlastic said:

Cheers
Ugg! Sorry to hear. I won't do a urody test anymore. If you can't find a cure, why bother further diagnosis. And yes, the risk of infection from those tests run high.

Pongoandperdi15 said:
Cut to the chase ask your doctor for methenamine it cuts your risk of UTIs if your doing anything with catheters ... methenamine is a antimicrobial that makes your urine inhospitable. My urologist suggests surgery but has advised me to avoid it for as long as possible and that's understandable as once you do it you can't go back.
🤔! Hadn't heard of methenamine but will sure look it up. And yes, do try to avoid surgery; once done, that's it!

craigd1341 said:
I have one coming up for the first time soon. I know it’s absurd to worry about this, but I have a great fear of farting during the test. Does this happen during the test? Sorry for asking something so minor?
I had a prostatectomy a while ago and what I was told is that there are two muscles that control your bladder voiding or not. With the removal of the prostate one set of the muscles is removed leaving only one to do all the work. That is why many men suffer with incontinence after this operation. It takes time to train the remaining muscle to do the work. The thing is, it is the same muscle that controls the bladder as stops you farting! Now, I appreciate that you still have your prostate so your two sets of muscles are doing the work and you should have no trouble in holding the farty muscle so that you don’t embarass yourself. BTW I’m sure that the nice people doing the test have seen/heard/smelled it all before!!!

I've had this done twice and in both instances I don't retain much at all. My issue is nerve damage due to my lower spine being a trainwreck. I have nerve issues down through my Coccyx. Only part of the test I DESPISE are the catheters as I swear I have to have one of the most over-sensitive urinary tracts in humanity. I feel FIRE as they insert the fuckers and for days afterwards it feels as I am pissing razor blades! My Urologist keeps telling me it "can't be as bad as I make it sound" but believe me, I'd sooner let you smash any one of my fingers with a hammer (happens at least 5x/year with the work I do anyway, they're used to it LOL) Vs having a catheter inserted or removed. Every single time I have surgery I pretty much BEG they don't catheterize me until I am OUT OF IT and that they remove it before i wake up although the last surgery I woke up with a rubber tube sticking out of me and thankfully that one didn't hurt AS BAD (it still sucked moose dick!) as the skinnier, plastic type tubes.

I have another surgery coming up, likely early next year and the catheter is the part I am least looking forward to!

CptKirk

• Wow
Well, I have an appointment with my incontinence nurse next week. I need to complete a bladder diary for 3-days and get a urine test prior to the appointment. I hope I can get an answer as to what the Urodynamic test showed. I have another appointment with my Urologist around May for an ultrasound and another flow test. I was only wearing normal underwear the other day and I my crotch area was damp and went though to my shorts I was wearing. This has only happened about 3 times ever. I am a little concerned now.

¿?

queerpeanut said:
Hi all,

So yesterday I had a urodynamics test, and I honestly didn’t think I passed it lol, can you even pass a test like that?

Anyways something happened to me in the test that has never happened to me before that has we thinking about why a lot. Well I guess it’s two things really. One is should I even spend time worrying about a why? Or just move to acceptance? What happened was well I was getting filled up (bladder) I was asked to cough, then right afterwards I just leaked. This is something that has never happened to me before. I’m not sure if it was because of the test (catheters where in) or if this is just how my incontinence is progressing.

Also I had so many accidents all day yesterday? Has anyone else experienced more leaks/accidents/urgency after a test like this?

My main issue is voiding well I am sleeping. I do have some urgency issues during the day though.
I enjoyed my test and wish they would not had a woman do the test as I enjoy a good cath session.
BTW, they related my issue to an enlarged prostate and gave me taladfil. Does it help, not really but maybe I can find another doctor.

Reactions: Edgewater
Will I have an appointment with the continence nurse today and I have sensory urgency & PMI incontinence including retention. Next step is bladder training to see if this helps. Anyone had similar systems? Did you recover and have no incontinence now or does it get worse?

No, I have not experienced those as my U-IC was a result of a car crash and the surgeries to stitch me back together.

Your diagnosis has already lead to several classification and physical therapy. The results is likely dependent on your efforts and where you are starting from. Did your continence nurse provide potential results?

Reactions: Babybub
Edgewater said:
No, I have not experienced those as my U-IC was a result of a car crash and the surgeries to stitch me back together.

Your diagnosis has already lead to several classification and physical therapy. The results is likely dependent on your efforts and where you are starting from. Did your continence nurse provide potential results?
Yes, it is dependent on my efforts. Potential results. Maybe not needing to go during the night and reduce or have no retention and maybe stop the PMI. My systems comment should have been symptoms.

Hello! I will be having my first urology apointment next week. And I will have urodynamic testing done, wich will probably include a cystoscopy test (the one with the cathater/ camera that goes in to the urethra). Obviously I am quite nervous about this, and worrying about pain etc.
In the information about the procuedure, it says that they will insert some numbing / anestethic gel in to the urethra before the cystoscopy. So that you shouldnt feel much, and not experence any pain.

So im wondering if anyone else also got anestethic gel and if that helped with pain and the procedure, and how your experience was like?

Not likely going to be a major problem unless you have constrictions within your urethra! If you have difficulty just let it the urologist know. FYI: Not to worry because if you have difficulty, you will with auto-respond!

Anesthetic common form is a liquid and the gel holds it in place to help it have its effect and quiet the response.

Normally, they tell you in advance if you are having both.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJJ7 and CptKirk
AJJ7 said:
Hello! I will be having my first urology apointment next week. And I will have urodynamic testing done, wich will probably include a cystoscopy test (the one with the cathater/ camera that goes in to the urethra). Obviously I am quite nervous about this, and worrying about pain etc.
In the information about the procuedure, it says that they will insert some numbing / anestethic gel in to the urethra before the cystoscopy. So that you shouldnt feel much, and not experence any pain.

So im wondering if anyone else also got anestethic gel and if that helped with pain and the procedure, and how your experience was like?
The cystoscopy test is not too bad it was uncomfortable for me no pain. The urodynamic testing is what it is and does not hurt either. You will be fine.

Reactions: AJJ7, CptKirk and Edgewater
Thanks guys for the calming responses!

Reactions: Edgewater and Pino
My first one with a "rigid device" was pure horror and a lot of pain and blood, but that was an idiot and a**hole who got fired shortly after.

All my last four cystoscopy were done by my urologist with an "flexible device ch16" and last time i did not realize her entering my bladder at all.
So no pain or blood, do not worry, most doctors know what to do and i was told in the US rigid devices were not used in the last 20 years, Germany seems to be some years behind. ;)

• Wow
Back