Urodynamic test

queerpeanut

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi all,

So yesterday I had a urodynamics test, and I honestly didn’t think I passed it lol, can you even pass a test like that?

Anyways something happened to me in the test that has never happened to me before that has we thinking about why a lot. Well I guess it’s two things really. One is should I even spend time worrying about a why? Or just move to acceptance? What happened was well I was getting filled up (bladder) I was asked to cough, then right afterwards I just leaked. This is something that has never happened to me before. I’m not sure if it was because of the test (catheters where in) or if this is just how my incontinence is progressing.

Also I had so many accidents all day yesterday? Has anyone else experienced more leaks/accidents/urgency after a test like this?

My main issue is voiding well I am sleeping. I do have some urgency issues during the day though.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, Pino and 2 others
Is that the test. Where they fill your bladder. And then you pee into a thing that measures how fast you empty? I had one like that years ago.

Reactions: Diprs2, jwh and Edgewater
BigAl1 said:
Is that the test. Where they fill your bladder. And then you pee into a thing that measures how fast you empty? I had one like that years ago.
Yup that’s definitely a thing I had to do in this test.

Reactions: Diprs2, jwh, Edgewater and 1 other person
That's the point of the test, to find your leak off point, sometimes they don't that give a diagnosis of retention and other times you will leak that's a diagnosis of over active bladder, stress inco etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, jwh, Edgewater and 2 others
Don’t you have to wait to review the test results with your neurologist. And yes it is quite the test lol. Myself when I had it done I peed into the toilet thought I emptied lol which was not the case. lol. The older lady technician then catheterized me and I passed out. Not sure why lol the technician was like you are like the firemen or police officers. It wasn’t her first rodeo as she had seen it all. In the end my bladder for the first tests it was holding over 1L of urine etc.

Afterwards I was 100% diagnosed with neurogenic bladder as on them filling my bladder I had them stop at 200mL and was like stop my bladder is going to explode. Which of course it wasn’t. Oh the joys gotta love nerve damage and MS not.

Cheers

Jason

Reactions: Freddie07601, Jeff Rictus, Diprs2 and 2 others
Yup, you likely failed and in an upcoming appointment you will receive the test results. If your medical records are available electronically, you can log in and see the results of the test now.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, EcoIncon and 1 other person
I have an appointment booked for next week that we booked at the same time as this test to go over the test results, I looked last night online for my test results but it didn’t say anything about the results. I guess I just need to wait to see the doctor next week.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, jwh and 1 other person
jwh said:
Don’t you have to wait to review the test results with your neurologist. And yes it is quite the test lol. Myself when I had it done I peed into the toilet thought I emptied lol which was not the case. lol. The older lady technician then catheterized me and I passed out. Not sure why lol the technician was like you are like the firemen or police officers. It wasn’t her first rodeo as she had seen it all. In the end my bladder for the first tests it was holding over 1L of urine etc.

Afterwards I was 100% diagnosed with neurogenic bladder as on them filling my bladder I had them stop at 200mL and was like stop my bladder is going to explode. Which of course it wasn’t. Oh the joys gotta love nerve damage and MS not.

Cheers

Jason
That happened to me too. When I wet to the bathroom before starting the test I felt like I peed normally in there measuring toilet. Then when she put the cath in there was almost 100ml left in me. Lol.

She put another cath in after the test was done to see if it was around the same amount that was left. And yup it was about the same.

My bladder only felt full when I was at 900ml. Not sure what that means yet. Just need to wait to see the doctor lol.

Thanks for all the advice, and just having people I can talk to about this who have been through similar experiences. It’s extremely helpful 😊

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, jwh and 2 others
queerpeanut said:
Hi all,

So yesterday I had a urodynamics test, and I honestly didn’t think I passed it lol, can you even pass a test like that?

Anyways something happened to me in the test that has never happened to me before that has we thinking about why a lot. Well I guess it’s two things really. One is should I even spend time worrying about a why? Or just move to acceptance? What happened was well I was getting filled up (bladder) I was asked to cough, then right afterwards I just leaked. This is something that has never happened to me before. I’m not sure if it was because of the test (catheters where in) or if this is just how my incontinence is progressing.

Also I had so many accidents all day yesterday? Has anyone else experienced more leaks/accidents/urgency after a test like this?

My main issue is voiding well I am sleeping. I do have some urgency issues during the day though.
Hmmm... Was the goal of the test to confirm you are incontinent? If yes, you passed. If the goal is to confirm you weren't... you failed 😜

Seriously, I have had three urodynamics tests. In two of them, the trauma from the catheters, caused very strange behavior not typical of my bladder. If urodynamics causes behavior you don't normally experience, tell your doctor. I never have stress incontinence either except my 3rd urodynamics test. I told my doctor about it and we used different methods to determine that urodynamics is only one data point and not necessarily the most reliable one.

Reactions: Diprs2, Pino, jwh and 2 others
Queerpeanut,

It's important to find out what's causing your incontinence to rule out serious underlying causes such as cancer; and sometimes doctors can prescribe drugs or recommend other treatments that may eliminate or at least reduce the severity of your symptoms. However, if there is no cure or effective treatment for your condition, then acceptance becomes very important. Given the effective products that are now available to manage incontinence, the condition can be handled in ways that permit you to lead a life that is normal in almost all respects. You do not need to suffer, and if you're a diaper lover, you can even enjoy living with incontinence.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, jwh and 2 others
EcoIncon said:
Hmmm... Was the goal of the test to confirm you are incontinent? If yes, you passed. If the goal is to confirm you weren't... you failed 😜

Seriously, I have had three urodynamics tests. In two of them, the trauma from the catheters, caused very strange behavior not typical of my bladder. If urodynamics causes behavior you don't normally experience, tell your doctor. I never have stress incontinence either except my 3rd urodynamics test. I told my doctor about it and we used different methods to determine that urodynamics is only one data point and not necessarily the most reliable one.
Hahahahaha, well I guess it’s both then. I passed and failed 😂, it confirmed to my doctor that I am not just saying I am having issues.
And it confirms to me that I am incontinent 😳😞😢
Thanks for that advice, I will mention it to my doctor when I see her.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, EcoIncon and 2 others
Inconinmiss said:
Queerpeanut,

It's important to find out what's causing your incontinence to rule out serious underlying causes such as cancer; and sometimes doctors can prescribe drugs or recommend other treatments that may eliminate or at least reduce the severity of your symptoms. However, if there is no cure or effective treatment for your condition, then acceptance becomes very important. Given the effective products that are now available to manage incontinence, the condition can be handled in ways that permit you to lead a life that is normal in almost all respects. You do not need to suffer, and if you're a diaper lover, you can even enjoy living with incontinence.
I agree!! I definitely want to see if there is something else going on, so far I am a very healthy 39 year old female, according to all the test.

I am interested to see what my doctor says about treatment, although I am not really wanting to add more medication to my list as I have heard from many different sources that the medications typically have bad side effects. I would much rather wear “protection” diapers and or pads. I mean hell I have already been wearing them and they work just fine for me. I can still live my life the way I was before. Plus I am a DL so it hasn’t been a hard new reality for me. Plus I don’t have coverage for medication, but wear I live there is coverage for supplies. So form a financial aspect it’s a no brainer.

Also just like my partner said, it’s a good thing I was already into diapers before this all started happening. Because I already have all the knowledge of what products work for me and what ones don’t. Essentially I am not starting from scratch, I don’t have the fear of leaving the house because of needing to wear. I already have worked through that internalized anxiety, fear and stigma.

Now I just need to accept the fact that it has become a need for me rather than a want.
There is definitely a huge difference in needing them compared to wanting them!!!! So I need to do some work on that. But I’m confident I can work through that difference.

Reactions: Freddie07601, CptKirk, Diprs2 and 3 others
I have one coming up for the first time soon. I know it’s absurd to worry about this, but I have a great fear of farting during the test. Does this happen during the test? Sorry for asking something so minor?

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2 and Edgewater
queerpeanut said:
Hi all,

Yep. My bladder goes haywire after those tests. I was still wearing undies and able to make it to the toilet during the day when I had my first one done after I started bedwetting and weirdly had to do three full wees in the hour afterwards. The nurse had a chuckle and told my urologist I’d worn a hole in the floor going to and from the bathroom when he asked if I’d voided my bladder yet.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, queerpeanut, Pino and 1 other person
craigd1341 said:
I have one coming up for the first time soon. I know it’s absurd to worry about this, but I have a great fear of farting during the test. Does this happen during the test? Sorry for asking something so minor?

It is not one of the top reactions, but since it is a natural response, it can happen.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2 and queerpeanut
queerpeanut said:
Yes, after every UDM or Cystoscopy or Botox injection my bladder goes crazy and i need the best diapers i can get.

Let us know about the results, sounds like weak pelvic floor or something, "failing" the test is supposed to happen. Doing an UDM and waiting for perfect test results sounds strange, usually you get it because it is already clear there is a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
I have the test this Thursday. Will be my first one. I am a little nervous.

Reactions: Diprs2, Pino and JorgeS22
Testing day today. I hope all go's well.

Reactions: Diprs2 and eastcoastdl
yes have done that test a few times a long time ago, think like 2010 was the last time i went in for one, i usually just refuse, my nerologist knows the issues, nerve damage from menengitis as a kid, and several bad discs and some more nerve damage from a car wreck, that left me in not being able to walk too much anymore, last in the series is autonomic nerve damage and a slight issue with no pulse/resp for a bit, now have High and Low BP...Really the IC is not a big deal at all...And last year was the LAST EMG i'm going to do as well, I dont like getting elecrocuted for fun.

Yes check for more serious issues, anytime there is a marked change in your health in any way (even getting better) without a known cause, get a appt asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, after a couple three tests, they all say about the same thing i just say no. Like my autonomic nerve damage(yes there is a test Mayo clinic has) which was verified with the test, then after that I feel like a lab rat, test, test, test, test, and no matter what the finding are there is yet any way to repair the issue, so more testig seems moot to say the east to me.

But, get your results and see what they say, and tell the dr about any anomolies during the test as well, yes a cath can cause a muscle spasm and not pas much, or void more without control beyond the usual.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Bigbabybret said:
yes have done that test a few times a long time ago, think like 2010 was the last time i went in for one, i usually just refuse, my nerologist knows the issues, nerve damage from menengitis as a kid, and several bad discs and some more nerve damage from a car wreck, that left me in not being able to walk too much anymore, last in the series is autonomic nerve damage and a slight issue with no pulse/resp for a bit, now have High and Low BP...Really the IC is not a big deal at all...And last year was the LAST EMG i'm going to do as well, I dont like getting elecrocuted for fun.

Yes check for more serious issues, anytime there is a marked change in your health in any way (even getting better) without a known cause, get a appt asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, after a couple three tests, they all say about the same thing i just say no. Like my autonomic nerve damage(yes there is a test Mayo clinic has) which was verified with the test, then after that I feel like a lab rat, test, test, test, test, and no matter what the finding are there is yet any way to repair the issue, so more testig seems moot to say the east to me.

But, get your results and see what they say, and tell the dr about any anomolies during the test as well, yes a cath can cause a muscle spasm and not pas much, or void more without control beyond the usual.
Thanks for the information. Sounds like you have been through allot.

Well the test went well, not as bad as I thought. Found I do not empty and need bladder training. The nurse suggested catheter at night to drain whats left. The doctor thought the risk of a UTI out way a catheter for now. Also have post dribbling. Cannot remember what that is called. And may have some nerve issue from spinal fusion surgery I hand a year and a half ago. Doctor did nor rule out using a catheter in the future if I don’t improve.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2 and Pino
Back