Toilet Training age Poll 2023

How old were you when you fished potty trained and no longer wore diapers during the daytime

• Total voters
When I was a toddler being trained well before 2 was common. Today, many are not trained before age 3 and some even by 4 are still in pull-ups. Part of this is not wanting put lots of pressure on little kids, but part is simple lack of time to attend to it.

Reactions: Straycatz and Hell2DaNaw
was absolute " late " and night time dry was until age of 8 or 9 I think..

Been told I was day trained at 21 or 22 months.:cry: Nights were better with nightly wetting till age 9.:giggle:

My mom was pretty laissez faire with potty training. I didn't even start until I was 3. I had some success and then regressed. Even when I was in pull-ups I used them like diapers. I didn't get out of them until I was 5. My mom finally pulled the plug and stopped buying them for me since she knew I didn't need them anymore.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw
Also, in a typical 3rd grade class of 25 there will be 4-5 boys and 1-2 girls who are still betwetters.

enigmatic said:
My mom was pretty laissez faire with potty training. I didn't even start until I was 3. I had some success and then regressed. Even when I was in pull-ups I used them like diapers. I didn't get out of them until I was 5. My mom finally pulled the plug and stopped buying them for me since she knew I didn't need them anymore.
Did she catch on that you were using them out of convenience? Or were you forced to train?

Just out of curiosity, can any statisticians here comment on the distribution of poll responses? It looks somewhat normal to me, but the voices in my head are telling me that it's right-skewed

• Thinking
Reactions: TigerDL
Hell2DaNaw said:
Did she catch on that you were using them out of convenience? Or were you forced to train?
She definitely knew I was using them out of convenience. The physical part of training was over. I knew how to use a toilet and was able to. She must have known I would sometimes take them off and throw them in the trash so that was a key sign for her.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw
I was out of real cloth diapers around 1.5 years and training underwear and plastic underpants for occasional accidents at night for about 2 years. Mom told me I stopped wearing plastic underpants at night sometime around age 4 but I still had training underwear until age 5 at night for small drips. I had to start wearing plastic underpants again at end of age 5 when I went to a family church camp and started wetting my sleeping bag and that was with me for about 6 - 8 months wearing trainers and plastic underpants again (which I needed).

I had regular "big boy" underwear sometime around age 6 and not plastic underpants, but at age 8 and at friend's sleepover, I completely went backwards to wetting heavily enough at night and needing cloth diapers and plastic underpants again (which I accepted readily as I hated wet sheets and pjs). By age 12 / 13 my protective undergarments were no longer needed and my plastic mattress cover was removed. But then came college and I had to put myself back into snap on cloth diapers and plastic underpants again; which helped me greatly in no longer worrying about wetting at night and getting a good night's sleep. A sympathetic dorm mate (he had issues until age 10) helped alot.

Reactions: wetaccident
I was close to 5 years old.
However I still got the occasional diaper after that. usually when travelling to town until I was 7-8 years old and after that when we went for longer trips, until I was about 9 years old.
The last time I can remember that I actually wore a diaper during the day, was at an airport when I was almost 10 years old. My mom put it on me in it just before we entered the gate. My older sister was diapered at the same time. To my defense it was in the evening and I did still have some bedwetting tendencies when I wasn't sleeping in my own bed at home.

Last edited:
Breaking my left leg (compound fracture) when I was 4 1/2yo and in a cast from hip to toes. Unable to use bathroom, I crawled on the floor wearing thick cloth diapers w/plastic pants for six months. I was nearly six before I was potty trained (temporarily)a second time before first grade.

My mother told me that I, ironically, hated being in diapers as a toddler, and was fully potty trained at 2 years old.

Reactions: KittyninjaW
Less than 2. This could be why I like wearing diapers etc.

I was in nappies day and night until I was 5 years old and a lot longer at night.

Mom said I wasn't fully trained and out of diapers until I was 5, before kindergarten. She tried as early as 3 years old and I was very resistant to it. And even after I was potty trained, I still wet the bed nearly every single night until I was in my late teenage years.

Reactions: Wetshisbed
Complicated it was.

Diapers removed day time at 3 i suppose, as nobody wore diapers age 4 and later. Diaper use was determined by age, not actual need.

Sort of accidents continued, up to around 10. Much frustration around this, it would have been much better to just continue to wear diapers until completely dry. Easier, convenient, nice. But impossible, due to social norms present at that time. Causing shame and embarrassment around diapers, making it impossible to go back to diapers when it became apparent that was the better solution.

Reactions: wetaccident
I was't day trained till i was 4... totally remember being changed at Daycare and being probably one of the last who still wore them 24/7. i did ask once why other kids like me didn't need their diaper changed LOL.. but when i was done with them in the day - i was still having accidents during nap time...so kind of dragged that one out a bit longer... i was a bw every night till i was 7 so sleepy times were diaper times..

I was very late to potty train. I did not begin staying clean and dry during the day until I was 9 and even after that had many accidents. I wet at night until 15

Not absolutely certain, but I put under 2. Using cloth diapers, Mom's wanted to get their kids out of diapers as fast as possible. I have pictures of myself at age 18 mo. Wearing snap crotch overalls and sitting on a pile of cloth diapers, but was told that by age 2 I was out of diapers as my family went on a long vacation by car and did not want to deal with diapers. I was told that I was pretty easy to train.

I was trained before my sister was born 2 1/2 years later.

Back