Therapy help

Marting

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Hi everyone

I've been seeing a therapist recently and most sessions she's seeming to focus on the fact that I'm not looking after my 'inner child'. I'm continually talking around the subject and saying things like 'I like to imagine I'm small' etc, but feel absolutely terrified to bring up my abdl side. Is it disengenuous of me to not bring it up? I know she's talking about 'self love' and 'self protection' etc, rather than an AB side. Can I carry on without mentioning actual AB do you think? I don't really want to bring it up with her, but am worried my treatment won't be affective if I don't.

Reactions: BBBen, RaawrrrPincess and medfet878
Inner Child work is something I'm trying to learn more about.

In some ways it feels adjacent to what we do.

Reactions: BBBen and medfet878
BobaFettish said:
Inner Child work is something I'm trying to learn more about.

In some ways it feels adjacent to what we do.
It does doesn't it. Which makes me wonder if I need to mention it?

Reactions: medfet878
There was an article I saw online titled Treat Yourself Like a Toddler. It piqued my interest, but a lot of it was about self care. If you noticed you're snippy when you're hungry, make sure you make yourself eat like if you were a toddler. Making sure you get enough sleep. Etc...
I have had to do a lot of work and rewiring with self talk. Would I tell Little me you're a loser, why do you even try, you're stupid, etc? I would be supportive to Little me. I would do what I could to help Little me heal.

With my last therapist, I literally talked all the way around it. Then decided to tell the therapist, explained how being a Little fit into everything. How it was more or less encoded in my by trauma, but has been a coping mechanism that I have more pros than cons. How being Little is the counterbalance of my

Reactions: BBBen, DiaperedG, Subtlerustle and 4 others
I think in this case telling her would be helpful because you are talking about self care and engaging in ABDL is a big part of self-care. I think it would be beneficial for you and your therapist. I never regretted telling my therapist though we never focused on it. As a therapist I would appreciate knowing something like this if was part of the issue we are working on together.

Reactions: DiaperedTeddyBear
oreobaby89 said:
I think in this case telling her would be helpful because you are talking about self care and engaging in ABDL is a big part of self-care. I think it would be beneficial for you and your therapist. I never regretted telling my therapist though we never focused on it. As a therapist I would reciate knowing something like this if was part of the issue we are working on together.
Thank you. I think you're right. It's just really scary.

Reactions: oreobaby89
Marting said:
Thank you. I think you're right. It's just really scary.
It can be but your therapist should. be super supprotive and accepting of it. We hear a lot and learn to be accepting of people and things we would have never imagined.

Hi Marting,

I found it very helpful in finding more inner peace, to talk about these desires with my therapist. It did not end up being a big focus as a stand alone topic, but it did point towards other important areas of my story that needed healing.

Please let us know how it goes. It was scary for me, but I am grateful that I opened up around that.

Reactions: Marting
beyonddiapers94 said:
Hi Marting,

I found it very helpful in finding more inner peace, to talk about these desires with my therapist. It did not end up being a big focus as a stand alone topic, but it did point towards other important areas of my story that needed healing.

Please let us know how it goes. It was scary for me, but I am grateful that I opened up around that.
Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughts. I'll be sure to let you know.

There are a lot of books on the "Inter Child". You will find that the inter child is your creativity and artistic part of your self. My therapist knew about my AB side and supported it. She helped me with the child, adult, and parent sides of myself. She would tell me that if the inter child was not taken care of I would loose my happiness and play side of myself. All this was about 30 years ago. Before much was known about adult babies. I have built on what we did and kept my inter child / baby alive and healthy. Good luck to you. Wish I could give you a hug.

Floodingpants said:
There are a lot of books on the "Inter Child". You will find that the inter child is your creativity and artistic part of your self. My therapist knew about my AB side and supported it. She helped me with the child, adult, and parent sides of myself. She would tell me that if the inter child was not taken care of I would loose my happiness and play side of myself. All this was about 30 years ago. Before much was known about adult babies. I have built on what we did and kept my inter child / baby alive and healthy. Good luck to you. Wish I could give you a hug.
Thank you for your support. There's certainly lots going on at the moment. I wrote this poem the other day about what it's like at the moment

My mish mashed mind is mixed and moping.
Trying to live, but barely coping.
Striving for a real me:
The me of love and empathy.
The me who makes, creates and shares,
The me not pinned down by nightmares.
The me who reaches for the stars,
The me who runs and comes so far.

I know that there's that 'real' me,
The one not ruled by OCD.
The one I think can saw and fly,
Or even one who at least tries.

But OCD is such a prick,
And I get so consumed by it.
It pins me down and screams at me,
"you are not you, you're OCD!"

But though I'm knackered I still fight,
And wrestle with this hateful shite.
This monster who's of my own making,
The one who takes then keeps on taking!

But then maybe I see it wrong,
I fight and think "can I go on?"
Maybe the thing I need to do,
Is change my thoughts (my point of view).
And find new ways and change my stance,
And turn this fight into a dance.

Reactions: BBBen, chickpea, beyonddiapers94 and 3 others
I like your poem. I feel like that a lot.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you OCD about? Is it diapers/ABDL stuff or something else?

blissfullyquirky said:
I like your poem. I feel like that a lot.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you OCD about? Is it diapers/ABDL stuff or something else?
I'm glad you like my poem. Thank you. I obsess about so many things really. What I've done, what I've said, how I've looked, how I feel, how others feel, textures, talent, perseption, infection the list goes on. It's very tiring. AB wise obsess about it being wrong, and how my wife feels about it. I'd just love to find some peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wonderingabout
I relate to that a lot. I have felt the same way about diapers, and the rest of your list. Assuming that you have a good therapist, I think that opening up will help, and continuing your healing process. You are very brave for engaging with your own healing. It is not easy, and you show your strength doing so.

You talk, Marting, about changing your thoughts and points of view. I have gotten a lot of peace from realizing that obsession about the wrongness of wearing diapers (I'm not AB, but I still get it), is actually just a distraction from the real things that need to be addressed. If you're anything like me, that's where you'll find your peace.

Reactions: BBBen, chickpea, Marting and 1 other person
So much more than just holding a plushie!

I told my therapist a few months ago. I don't think he wants to talk about it and being AB/DL isn't the reason I see him so it's just in his recorded notes.

not an easy answer to this. i believe in being completely open and honest with my therapist, for it is a long-term relationship built on trust. however, you need to feel comfortable and at easy with what you share. not everything about yourself has to be brought out all at once. work little by little until you have a comfort level with fully sharing even if that doesn't happen therapy is a good way to be heard accepted and bring balance into your life. there is no set time schedule so wait until you feel ready to open up about your AB side. one thing to keep in mind good therapists who have been around a long time not too much shocks them, and you may find you are not your therapist's first and only AB client. i hope your therapy helps you

Reactions: BBBen, dogboy, beyonddiapers94 and 1 other person
Joeysms said:
not an easy answer to this. i believe in being completely open and honest with my therapist, for it is a long-term relationship built on trust. however, you need to feel comfortable and at easy with what you share. not everything about yourself has to be brought out all at once. work little by little until you have a comfort level with fully sharing even if that doesn't happen therapy is a good way to be heard accepted and bring balance into your life. there is no set time schedule so wait until you feel ready to open up about your AB side. one thing to keep in mind good therapists who have been around a long time not too much shocks them, and you may find you are not your therapist's first and only AB client. i hope your therapy helps you
Thank you.

I think it comes down to the degree to which you feel safe/comfortable/heard when with your therapist - and the relationship you have with them. Equally, your own judgement regarding the extent to which your personal need for therapy is interlaced with your AB/DL desires.
A few years ago I did have some 6 moths of therapy for completely unconnected (to AB/DL) reasons. In my experience, part of the process is taking you back to very young childhood and then bringing you back to present, exploring any and all aspects of what might have contributed to the 'you' that is 'you'. This helps one understand the what, why and has some potential to explain, uncover, enable acceptance and adaptation to whatever issues one might be facing. In a way, to make you strong again.
So, I did bring up the AB/DL side after several weekly sessions and they were completely comfortable, both in body language and discussion, regarding it as an intrinsic aspect of who I am. As an aside to that, it helped me feel far more comfortable with 'it' and offered several explanations, in terms of psychological theory, of where it might all have come from.
Good luck with the therapy; it certainly helped me.

Reactions: BBBen and Marting
Back