So, anyone planning on watching the total solar eclipse April 8th?

BobbiSueEllen said:
I don't at all feel good about you saying that. I caused my eyes a good deal of pain watching a mere annular eclipse, in brief glimpses, through cloud cover last October. Don't do it! Those concentrated infrared & ultraviolet rays are no joke. You may not go blind but you can permanently burn spots on your retinas, and those never heal. Don't do it!

Can I get some backup on this?
Yes. Get the glasses. Multiple vendors will ship overnight.

Reactions: KBoy, Zeke and BobbiSueEllen
Cashew said:
Yeah. Think I might even drive a few hours up to Burlington VT to be in the trajectory. Probably won't buy special glasses. Squinted at it last time and nothing bad happened. Regular sun glasses are probably good enough.
From what I’ve read I’d recommend you get the disposable eclipse viewing glasses with the rating recommended by ophthalmology associations such as these: https://a.co/d/cTRPyJ8. Maybe I’m being a bit overly cautious but I’ve got a congenital eye deformity in my right eye limiting my vision in that eye to around 20/600 which makes me a little overly protective of my left eye with its perfect vision. Isn’t your vision worth $10 for the 2 pack of these glasses?

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
The best part: if you buy any eclipse glasses certified to ISO 12312-2:2015, they will last forever. Unlike 2012 & earlier spec, they do not expire. 🥳🥳🥳

Reactions: KBoy and Zeke
I'm not going to watch, but my old community college math instructor who is in his early 70s, who is on a trip in Greece and Europe now, will be. Stopping in Cleveland on the way back home to look at the eclipse from Cleveland!

- longallsboy

Reactions: KBoy, Zeke and BobbiSueEllen
Zeke said:
Where are you planning on watch the lights go out?
If you mean watch the eclipse then yes. I have a bad feeling that work is going to get in the way though.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: KBoy, BobbiSueEllen and Zeke
nectar0001 said:
I'm going. Having seen the eclipse in 2017, I can promise you it's worth it. Get the eclipse glasses (the real ones, not fakes).
Selling fake eclipse viewing glasses should carry the same penalty as selling phony prescription drugs does consistently the damage that they both can cause.

Reactions: nectar0001 and BobbiSueEllen
Zeke said:
Selling fake eclipse viewing glasses should carry the same penalty as selling phony prescription drugs does consistently the damage that they both can cause.
eBay is excellent if you report fake glasses: they want to know. I bought a 10-pack of postcard-sized eclipse viewers once; upon arrival, I looked for the CE and "...conforms to ISO 12312-2:2015..." stamps and found none; I then took one the viewers and a new pair of ISO-certified glasses, looked at the sun...noticeable difference. I reported it to eBay via phone and the agent was VERY helpful! He not only deleted the listing but warned the vendor, refunded the price to me and urged me to please send in one viewer and destroy the rest. I did.

I don't like Amazon's laxity over their responsibility to assure fake/substandard viewers don't get through: they don't require vendors to state CE/ISO conformity by-number in their descriptions...and Amazon's hideously-weak image zoom feature does not allow the stamp to be seen clearly on the product...or the product certificate to be read clearly.

Also, check your local Walmart, they may have them; they sure did in 2017!

As much as I STRONGLY dislike Bezos I have to admit that Amazon is an extremely customer satisfaction oriented organization. I’ve never had them fail to refund me for, or replace, an item that I told them I wasn’t satisfied with or wasn’t as described in their listing. I was remembering back to when I was an adolescent and being thankful that I didn’t burn my retinas out back then when I occasionally looked at the sun just to make myself sneeze. It may be because I only did it a few times and it didn’t take long for it to result in the desired sneeze or maybe the sun just wasn’t as bright six decades ago. It surely seems as if I wasn’t at least in order for my to do something that stupid!

Last edited:
On the eclipse... post your photos to this thread!!

Reactions: KBoy, MeDisneyBaby, denimchicken and 1 other person
I’m becoming less sure about going to Carbondale, Illinois to view the total solar eclipse on April 8th since Weather Bug’s 10 day forecast is saying 40% chance of rain there which means cloud cover which would lessen the experience I’m sure. Anyone with experience viewing an eclipse with cloud cover? Is it still worth going in your opinion? Weather Bug may be wrong about their forecast this far out so I’ll keep checking it to see if it gets better, worse, or if it remains the same.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Zeke said:
I’m becoming less sure about going to Carbondale, Illinois to view the total solar eclipse on April 8th since Weather Bug’s 10 day forecast is saying 40% chance of rain there which means cloud cover which would lessen the experience I’m sure. Anyone with experience viewing an eclipse with cloud cover? Is it still worth going in your opinion? Weather Bug may be wrong about their forecast this far out so I’ll keep checking it to see if it gets better, worse, or if it remains the same.
Go anyway! But be prepared to drive NE or SW if it gets too cloudy.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Zeke and MeDisneyBaby
I live in the path of totality EMA is already spinning everybody up , with an estimated possible 4-500,000 K additional people coming to watch the eclipse firehouses ,cop shops will be staffed and there expecting some chaos with bumper to bumper traffic stores and restaurants closing early because they have nothing left to sell , ATMs out of cash , cell phones down , internet down , there’s gonna be saturation patrols of motorcycle, bicycle , ATVs and emergency services repositioned to hotels and tourist traps . Like all the preparedness advice is stuff I have done every day of my life , so I am watching people who aren’t prepared panic trying to figure out how to survive without outside intervention( much like start of pandemic people hoarding weird stuff and panic shopping , I just sat home & watched )my camera is ready 800 MM L glass lens to record it with 2 terabytes of storage one card saves images I card saves RAW files so I can do any post event processing . When I bought this beast I had the sensor replaced to do astral photography, I am ready to rock I got carbon fiber tripod in yard covered with garbage bag and camera lens has quick release plate to lock into Manfroto head . I have welding helmet glass filter on lens from past eclipse shooting .

Reactions: nectar0001
nectar0001 said:
Go anyway! But be prepared to drive NE or SW if it gets too cloudy.
Oh, it’s getting better. Weather Bug’s now indicating that it’ll be 70 F and partly sunny. Now I’ve that I’ve received my eclipse viewing glasses and lens filters for my camera I’ve got to get my tripod dug out and the swivel portion reassembled.

Tetra said:
I live in the path of totality EMA is already spinning everybody up , with an estimated possible 4-500,000 K additional people coming to watch the eclipse firehouses ,cop shops will be staffed and there expecting some chaos with bumper to bumper traffic stores and restaurants closing early because they have nothing left to sell , ATMs out of cash , cell phones down , internet down , there’s gonna be saturation patrols of motorcycle, bicycle , ATVs and emergency services repositioned to hotels and tourist traps . Like all the preparedness advice is stuff I have done every day of my life , so I am watching people who aren’t prepared panic trying to figure out how to survive without outside intervention( much like start of pandemic people hoarding weird stuff and panic shopping , I just sat home & watched )my camera is ready 800 MM L glass lens to record it with 2 terabytes of storage one card saves images I card saves RAW files so I can do any post event processing . When I bought this beast I had the sensor replaced to do astral photography, I am ready to rock I got carbon fiber tripod in yard covered with garbage bag and camera lens has quick release plate to lock into Manfroto head . I have welding helmet glass filter on lens from past eclipse shooting .
Wow, you live directly in the eclipse’s path, that’s great. It’s kind of like getting the mountain to come to Mohammad! Your post made me think that I’d better pack some food, supplies, and cash along with the camera, binoculars, and welding helmet (just in case!). It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to fuel up the Jetta TDI a couple hundred miles from the eclipse path too from what you’re saying. I can almost make the 800 mile round trip on a full 14 gallon tank but it’s better to get fuel before you need it if there’s a chance it’ll be any trouble to get.

Boise's gonna be mostly-sunny. I'm all set! 🥳🥳🥳

In 2017 we didn't run into too much trouble with traffic or shortages, but best to be prepared!

Reactions: Zeke and BobbiSueEllen
nectar0001 said:
In 2017 we didn't run into too much trouble with traffic or shortages, but best to be prepared!
In 2017 here in Idaho, I took the ID-55 north outta Boise 50 miles to Smith's Ferry, to be in the eclipse path's dead-center. I was not disappointed. Getting there took less than an hour; getting back into Boise took over four hours! 🫢

BobbiSueEllen said:
In 2017 here in Idaho, I took the ID-55 north outta Boise 50 miles to Smith's Ferry, to be in the eclipse path's dead-center. I was not disappointed. Getting there took less than an hour; getting back into Boise took over four hours! 🫢
I canceled my motel appointment for the night of the eclipse figuring that I could either make the drive home if I’m feeling awake enough or use foam mattress pad, that I have for the rear of my VW SportWagen, and a sleeping bag to sleep wherever I can find a place to park. That way I won’t have to fight traffic. Tetra’s prior post made me aware that I should bring food and beverages along for me and my faithful sidekick, Sadie, as services directly in the path may be overwhelmed and sold out of some items and even fuel. Diapers are going to be another consideration but I’m going to try and stay with cloth as I’m not going to be gone long and I’ll be heading right back home. Sadie’s not too excited about the eclipse, but she loves to ride (what dog doesn’t?) so an 800 mile round trip will be just fine with her. I’m thinking about bringing my little tripod for my iPhone to set it up for video coverage with one of the disposable eclipse viewing glasses lenses over the lenses of the iPhone. It’s a good thing that I got a 10 pack of these viewings glasses as I may tear apart another pair for protection on the objective lenses of the binoculars. Here’s hoping that I’m not making a bigger deal out of this eclipse than it really is.

Last edited:
Back