So, anyone planning on watching the total solar eclipse April 8th?

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I’m trying to decide if it’s worth a 600 - 700 mile drive to be in the path of this upcoming total solar eclipse April 8th. Ever since I heard that the elite fly all over the world to view them in Carly Simon’s song, You’re So Vain, I’ve had a certain curiosity about them. It seems most of the viewing glasses from many sources have been sold out so that would seem to indicate quite a bit of interest. I’ve got a self darkening welding helmet that I think may be suitable for viewing, but I’ve got to check the shade number as the American Academy of Ophthalmology says it should at least be #14 welders glass. Being as I’ve got a congenital birth defect in my right eye I tend to be pretty protective of the excellent vision that I still possess in my left. So, has anyone seen a total eclipse and are they worth a drive?

“Well I hear you went up to Saratoga
And your horse naturally won
Then you flew your lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun

Well you're where you should be all the time
And when you're not, you're with some underworld spy
Or the wife of a close friend, wife of a close friend and

You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain (so vain)
I bet you think this song is about you
Don't you don't you, don't you, don't you now”

Carly Simon, released November 8th, 1972

Last edited:
Reactions: KendallP, PadPhilosopher, Cottontail and 3 others
I made a similar posty like this not too long ago. I'm going to take some time off work, and meet up with some friends and we will go hiking, watch the eclipse then decide what to do from there.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, nectar0001, Edgewater and 2 others
denimchicken said:
I made a similar posty like this not too long ago. I'm going to take some time off work, and meet up with some friends and we will go hiking, watch the eclipse then decide what to do from there.
I’m sorry, I didn’t see your post or I would’ve just responded to it instead of starting a new post.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Zeke said:
I’ve got a self darkening welding helmet that I think may be suitable for viewing, but I’ve got to check the shade number
Check the tint, too. Also, they tend not to be crystal-clear.
I found looking at the sun better through a camera (with a couple of polarizing filters, but you can buy the specific filters needed, I'm just a cheapskate 😁).

Other than that, I just look downward every night to see the sun eclipsed 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: KBoy, PadPhilosopher, Zeke and 1 other person
ade said:
Check the tint, too. Also, they tend not to be crystal-clear.
I found looking at the sun better through a camera (with a couple of polarizing filters, but you can buy the specific filters needed, I'm just a cheapskate 😁).

Other than that, I just look downward every night to see the sun eclipsed 🤪
You mean that terrestrial solar eclipse that occurs once every 24 hours? I bought a used Sony Alpha A100 on eBay so that I could use the lenses that I had bought along with a Minolta Maxim 5000 when I was driving truck in Alaska. Unfortunately I didn’t buy the filters necessary for using it to photograph solar activity and I’ll have to get the required filter(s) before using it to document the event. The self darkening welding helmet that I was going to use for viewing only has the equivalent of a #13 weld glass but the ophthalmologist organization that I researched recommends a #14 weld glass so I’m not sure about using that. Do you know what filter(s) I’d need to use to photograph the solar eclipse with my Sony? The rooms in the direct path of the event are crazy expensive, around 5 - 10 times their normal rate, and they’re selling out fast so I’m planning on driving part of the way back before staying the night. Yesterday I reserved a motel in Decatur, IL which is about a third of the way home for the normal rate of $75. Fortunately my VW Jetta SportWagen TDI gets around 50 mpg so it should only take me a few gallons of diesel over the 14 gallon tankful to get me down to Carbondale, IL and back home to southern Wisconsin. I surely hope this complete solar eclipse is worth the time and effort as well as the money.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Zeke said:
So, has anyone seen a total eclipse and are they worth a drive?
Yep! Experienced three, seen two of them (a total on Aug 21, 2017 & an annular Oct 14, 2023). It depends on a few things: time, money, distance...I don't have the money so I'll see it from Boise at the 30% line. If you have time & money, I highly recommend it!

Try to get to dead-center in the path. You must wear eclipse glasses to view whenever the sun is in any degree of obscurity (coverage); only when the eclipse has achieved 100% can you view it with your unprotected eyes...and it will amaze you. You will see solar flares, loops of fire going up then back in, on the sun's surface. It is incredible!

But before that, as the sun gets closer to eclipse: you will notice that at one point, the birds will get completely silent. As it progresses more, you will notice a bluish hue to everything you see around you...and a weird dimness: it'll seem like late day but shadows will be short and very sharp. Also, where a tree casts a shadow, you will see where gaps of sunlight between leaves show on the ground as crescents. Grab a pic of those!

Just before totality, you will notice a sudden temperature drop. Look around at air traffic, too...there will be plenty of it, some circling.

One warning: when the totality is getting ready to end, have your glasses ready to put up immediately! I can't emphasize that enough. There is an erupting, pure-white point of light called the Diamond Ring Effect which is extremely intense and can both overwhelm your eyes and temporarily blind you. I got a shot of it directly in my eyes putting my glasses up and it hurt a lot. Be ready for it!

Other'n that...if you do go, you'll have the time of your life! 🥳🥳🥳

Zeke said:
"You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain (so vain)
I bet you think this song is about you
Don't you, don't you, don't you, don't you now”

Carly Simon, released November 8th, 1972
Wow, released the day after my 6th birthday! Oops...just doxed my age! 🫢🤭

"I'm so vain,
I def'n'tely think this song is about me!
Ah'm sooo vaaaaiiiiin..." 🤣

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, KBoy, Zeke and 1 other person
Oh, one more thing: prenumbral lunar eclipse late tonight, all of the western hemisphere will get it. 🥳🥳🥳

• Haha
Reactions: Zeke, KBoy and Edgewater
The line is just to the East of us and will not likely travel the short distance to see the full effect.
Likely just enjoy a Swedish Lunch on a normal December day! Honesty, I will not enjoy it as the cloudy Winter has me enjoying anytime the Sun is fully available.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, KBoy, Zeke and 1 other person
BobbiSueEllen said:
Yep! Experienced three, seen two of them (a total on Aug 21, 2017 & an annular Oct 14, 2023). It depends on a few things: time, money, distance...I don't have the money so I'll see it from Boise at the 30% line. If you have time & money, I highly recommend it!

Try to get to dead-center in the path. You must wear eclipse glasses to view whenever the sun is in any degree of obscurity (coverage); only when the eclipse has achieved 100% can you view it with your unprotected eyes...and it will amaze you. You will see solar flares, loops of fire going up then back in, on the sun's surface. It is incredible!

But before that, as the sun gets closer to eclipse: you will notice that at one point, the birds will get completely silent. As it progresses more, you will notice a bluish hue to everything you see around you...and a weird dimness: it'll seem like late day but shadows will be short and very sharp. Also, where a tree casts a shadow, you will see where gaps of sunlight between leaves show on the ground as crescents. Grab a pic of those!

Just before totality, you will notice a sudden temperature drop. Look around at air traffic, too...there will be plenty of it, some circling.

One warning: when the totality is getting ready to end, have your glasses ready to put up immediately! I can't emphasize that enough. There is an erupting, pure-white point of light called the Diamond Ring Effect which is extremely intense and can both overwhelm your eyes and temporarily blind you. I got a shot of it directly in my eyes putting my glasses up and it hurt a lot. Be ready for it!

Other'n that...if you do go, you'll have the time of your life! 🥳🥳🥳

Wow, released the day after my 6th birthday! Oops...just doxed my age! 🫢🤭

"I'm so vain,
I def'n'tely think this song is about me!
Ah'm sooo vaaaaiiiiin..." 🤣
Yeah, I know what you mean about the age thing. When I was first trying to remember who wrote You’re So Vain I was thinking it came out when I was in my 20’s but it actually came out my senior year in high school. Is there any record as to who Carly’s inspiration for this song was? I’d hate to have a disagreement with a woman who has access to that large of an audience to totally humiliate you in front of…talk about getting burnt!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and BobbiSueEllen
Edgewater said:
The line is just to the East of us and will not likely travel the short distance to see the full effect.
Likely just enjoy a Swedish Lunch on a normal December day! Honesty, I will not enjoy it as the cloudy Winter has me enjoying anytime the Sun is fully available.
Edgewater, you’re not secretly afraid of the dark are you? That bird and animal reaction does sound a bit spooky.

• Wow
  • Haha
Zeke said:
Is there any record as to who Carly’s inspiration for this song was? I’d hate to have a disagreement with a woman who has access to that large of an audience to totally humiliate you in front of…talk about getting burnt!
Sorry to hijack the thread but it's reputed her target was Warren Beatty. Back to the eclipse! 🤭

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: KendallP, PadPhilosopher, Zeke and 2 others
I traveled to the 2017 one. Worth the drive. If you have never had the experience then go.

In 2017 I used Google maps to find a clearing on a back road that was away from the cities. I slept in the back of my truck. During the day a couple of dozen people also showed up. We had a great time together.

I wish I could go again, but in the middle of moving so can't spare the time.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Zeke, KBoy and 2 others
ORBaby said:
During the day a couple of dozen people also showed up. We had a great time together.
Isn't that a fun part of it? The people you meet...last October, I had to travel 240 miles to north Winnemucca to see the annular eclipse: I arrived 2 hours early, the only one at the highway cutout...before you knew it, more folks arrived and soon it was almost two dozen, talking, sharing, enjoying. Most of them, like me, were from Boise!

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Zeke, KBoy and 1 other person
Zeke said:
Edgewater, you’re not secretly afraid of the dark are you? That bird and animal reaction does sound a bit spooky.
What, me afraid of the dark!?!? I laugh at darkness!!!!
We have a Parrot and I can predict his reaction: Ya, Nap Time!!!

• Haha
  • Love
Edgewater said:
What, me afraid of the dark!?!? I laugh at darkness!!!!
We have a Parrot and I can predict his reaction: Ya, Nap Time!!!
I laughed at darkness once and damned near got ran in for public drunkenness! I’m planning on bringing Sadie, my semi loyal pooch along, it will be interesting to see if she’s affected by the eclipse.

Last edited:
BobbiSueEllen said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but it's reputed her target was Warren Beatty. Back to the eclipse! 🤭
No hijacking implied or expressed. I kind of share Carly’s opinion of Beatty’s public persona, if he was the target of her wrath in this instance, but his acting I I find tolerable. There’s so many of these professional sock puppets believing that the public can’t live without their opinion on politics that I find insufferable. Many of them I can no longer “willingly suspend my disbelief” when watching their films and I’ve just stopped watching them. That’s alright, I watch too much television anyhow (I guess mom was right about that).

Well, I got the lens filter for taking photos of the solar eclipse ordered, motel room booked, and my itinerary planned with a pleasant surprise…it’s less than 400 miles away. While this wasn’t something on my bucket list I’m thinking that it’s worth adding.

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater, ade and 1 other person
Zeke said:
Do you know what filter(s) I’d need to use to photograph the solar eclipse with my Sony?
It'll depend upon the diameter of whichever lens you're using.
Amazon have loads of screw-in and pop-on solar filters (if you have prime and given the time constraint).

Edit: so, it was you typing as I typed! 🤭

Last edited:
Mine's easy: i have three pair of eclipse glasses; one got its lens damaged in the move so I tore it off and now I tape the good half in front of my phone-camera lens. Works great! 🥳

The remaining two are CE and ISO-certified by 2015 standards...meaning no expiration date like older glasses! 🥳🥳🥳

Use this to determine safety...

20240324_135119.png

If the date is 2012 or older, they may be old and recycled...not good. Go with 2015s...or newer, if available!

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy, PadPhilosopher, nectar0001 and 3 others
ade said:
It'll depend upon the diameter of whichever lens you're using.
Amazon have loads of screw-in and pop-on solar filters (if you have prime and given the time constraint).

Edit: so, it was you typing as I typed! 🤭
That’s who I order my 55mm filter from and it’s supposed to be delivered by April 2nd.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, ade, Edgewater and 1 other person
Back