Self catheter vs wearing a diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaperlover12341340

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So someone I know has to self Catheter 3 times a day due to urinary retention. This person was against wearing a diaper and having them just open it up so it can free flow which is fine that’s his decision for his body. I was wandering would you rather have urinary retention or have a doc just open it up if that’s possible?

Reactions: RoseofThorns, Diprs2, MegaLugia and 1 other person
Clearly, he is having an open and honest discussion with his doctor and he is doing what is acceptable for him!
The reality line he is traveling is whether to use a catheter to relieve himself or having a permanent physical change that is forever and having to wear diapers 24/7, forever.

Unless one clearly understands the realities involved such a question has little meaning as one likely have little understanding what full and forever 24/7 really means!

• Love
Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, MegaLugia and 2 others
I would rather wear diapers than have urinary retention, catheter usage just causes bleeding

• Thinking
Reactions: RoseofThorns, chuck, Diprs2 and 4 others
Danielgartin691993 said:
I would rather wear diapers than have urinary retention, catheter usage just causes bleeding
It does? I've been cathing 6-8 times a day for many years, and I've never had bleeding. If it's causing bleeding, you're doing it wrong!

I don't know why anyone would go through all the work of changing wet diapers constantly or dealing with all the hygiene and skin care issues that go with wearing diapers, rather than spending 15 seconds slipping a catheter in a few times a day. But to each his own.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Pino, MegaLugia and 2 others
A
ltaluv said:
It does? I've been cathing 6-8 times a day for many years, and I've never had bleeding. If it's causing bleeding, you're doing it wrong!

I don't know why anyone would go through all the work of changing wet diapers constantly or dealing with all the hygiene and skin care issues that go with wearing diapers, rather than spending 15 seconds slipping a catheter in a few times a day. But to each his own.
And I still had accidents during catheter usage

Reactions: Diprs2 and MegaLugia
Well, unfortunately, it's not that easy... Even if you can convince a doctor to create a permanent drain here, this drain is rarely really permanent. The problem is that tissue grows back. Unfortunately, this results in an occlusion that has to be operated on again. If this goes really badly, at some point it doesn't work anymore and then you can live on with an abdominal wall catheter...
There is a reason why doctors don't like to do this...

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Pino, ltaluv and 3 others
Danielgartin691993 said:
Not true at all!! I have self cathed for 29 years now and it is in and out and has no discomfort at all and certainly no blood. I am incontinent from urge incontinence and interstitial cystitis but at the same term my bladder does not completely empty. It use to be much worse leaving a couple 100cc and if you do not drain it the urine becomes stagnant and you get infections. So I am suppose to do it at least once a day no matter what My bladder has shrunk so bad it hardly holds 200cc now but I still normally leave a good 50-100cc. I have gotten lazy at emptying it and I have a huge infection right at the moment for not doing so. I was offered to have them try and open things up a bit 25 years ago and turned it down. Now my Incontinence is so bad I should revisit but most days any more I do not leave enough to make a big deal. But I can get bouts of retention that lock me up too. Not very often and usually after surgery or certain strong meds that slow all of that down.

As for the Topic I would say do not judge unless you know the person and his thoughts of what is worse. Most people pee around 6 to 8 times a day and passing a catheter takes about a extra 30 seconds for a abled person. Depending on the size you pass to how long it takes to drain but a 18fr will drain about as fast as peeing. They have speed cath's that are self contained and sterile If that you never touch with bare skin to the tube so no need to wear gloves or even was prior to going.
Many people that are offered this option have a neurological injury or condition. I do not know the case here as it was not stated but if a person is in a wheelchair with no or limited use of their lower torso maybe even some strength in arms as well it can make changing diapers very hard by themselves. Opposed to cathing that is much easier and faster. Also it has a far less chance of causing pressure sores to get bad like a constant wet butt. Most doctors prefer CIC over diapers and indwelled catheters. Just because you don't mind wearing diapers does not mean everyone else wants to or even could adapt. You can ask him questions and ask if he has ever considered diapers and what he is scared of but It is for him to decide and I would respect that!!! To me that is like telling one of us we should just get a urostomy and let it drain in a bag. Would that not be easier and certainly cheaper as insurance would then pay for all of the supplies.? I was offered to have my bladder removed due to how bad my interstitial cystitis has became over the years. I do not want unnecessary surgeries that might make me wish I never let the talk me into it. Better the devil you know as they say.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, IncontinentScholar and 6 others
Diaperman95 said:
Not true at all!! I have self cathed for 29 years now and it is in and out and has no discomfort at all and certainly no blood. I am incontinent from urge incontinence and interstitial cystitis but at the same term my bladder does not completely empty. It use to be much worse leaving a couple 100cc and if you do not drain it the urine becomes stagnant and you get infections. So I am suppose to do it at least once a day no matter what My bladder has shrunk so bad it hardly holds 200cc now but I still normally leave a good 50-100cc. I have gotten lazy at emptying it and I have a huge infection right at the moment for not doing so. I was offered to have them try and open things up a bit 25 years ago and turned it down. Now my Incontinence is so bad I should revisit but most days any more I do not leave enough to make a big deal. But I can get bouts of retention that lock me up too. Not very often and usually after surgery or certain strong meds that slow all of that down.

As for the Topic I would say do not judge unless you know the person and his thoughts of what is worse. Most people pee around 6 to 8 times a day and passing a catheter takes about a extra 30 seconds for a abled person. Depending on the size you pass to how long it takes to drain but a 18fr will drain about as fast as peeing. They have speed cath's that are self contained and sterile If that you never touch with bare skin to the tube so no need to wear gloves or even was prior to going.
Many people that are offered this option have a neurological injury or condition. I do not know the case here as it was not stated but if a person is in a wheelchair with no or limited use of their lower torso maybe even some strength in arms as well it can make changing diapers very hard by themselves. Opposed to cathing that is much easier and faster. Also it has a far less chance of causing pressure sores to get bad like a constant wet butt. Most doctors prefer CIC over diapers and indwelled catheters. Just because you don't mind wearing diapers does not mean everyone else wants to or even could adapt. You can ask him questions and ask if he has ever considered diapers and what he is scared of but It is for him to decide and I would respect that!!! To me that is like telling one of us we should just get a urostomy and let it drain in a bag. Would that not be easier and certainly cheaper as insurance would then pay for all of the supplies.? I was offered to have my bladder removed due to how bad my interstitial cystitis has became over the years. I do not want unnecessary surgeries that might make me wish I never let the talk me into it. Better the devil you know as they say.
And also I have neuropathy so I don't feel I have to pee until my bladder is super full, or I'm leaking already

Reactions: Diprs2
Diaperman95 said:

Then I must have had a bladder infection, it certainly felt like it, I had to pee all the time and still had accidents

I self cath and once you get the hang of it no blood or pain maybe occasionally if you get it wrong which is understandable your dealing with a sensitive area. I still leak between using my catheter so I have to use a pad as well but it's what works best for you when I first started with ISC you have to try different catheter brands to get one that's comfortable for you. Urinary retention causes infections and potential risks for kidney and bladder stones, I ran away from ISC for years after being diagnosed with retention it was ok.... till it wasn't now I'm stuck in a pattern of infection after infection, if I hadn't ignored the doctors all those years ago I might not be like this now. I've been offered urinary diversion surgery and to be fair I've considered it but it's a big decision and one that alters your body for ever, if they are making that decision support them at the end of the day using a nappy isn't really dignified either there's a lot of stigma to get over. Lots of people have stoma bags as far as I'm concerned it's each to their own with how they wish to deal with it

• Love
Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2, Bountiero and 3 others
Let's be clear: Not everyone who is incontinent can or should do clean intermittent catheterization (CIC). But for those with urinary retention, CIC is generally necessary.

In certain cases, doctors may consider surgery to remove obstructions in the urethra that are causing retention, but whether this is appropriate depends entirely on what is causing the retention in the first place. Depending on the surgery and the specific cause of the obstruction, this may cause short-term or long-term incontinence.

There is almost never a simple choice between diapers and CIC.

• Love
Reactions: RoseofThorns, Freddie07601, Diprs2 and 3 others
Well, i have got a combination of neurogenic bladder over activity and retention at the same time. I do selfcath for some years now and still wear diapers most of the time, sometimes with a lot of pain on top for different reasons.

There are moments i wish it would just flow, but this is not really an option, as @mickdl and Italuv already pointed out.

First: All doctors will try to get you "dry" in the first place, that's the goal, when there is obstruction, they will try to solve that problem, perhaps a TUIP or something like that, the goal is always, that you are able to keep dry and pee freely, when it is not possible to get you to pee easy, they will choose ISC (CIC) over incontinence all the time. When this all does not work, they will choose an abdominal wall catheter.
A friend of mine had just an operation last week where they reconstructed his urethra and changed the opening into the scrotum, he pees now like a women, all to enable him to pee. Doctors will do everything to prevent you from leaking or retention.

Selcath should never be painful, when it is bleeding, something is going wrong for sure.

There was something like a stent that opened up your urethra for some time, but this was not a solution for longer time and they stopped that technique for the most part. Incision is still done in some cases, but it has got its own problems.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RoseofThorns, Diprs2, Diaperman95 and 1 other person
Pino said:
Well, i have got a combination of neurogenic bladder over activity and retention at the same time. I do selfcath for some years now and still wear diapers most of the time, sometimes with a lot of pain on top for different reasons.

There are moments i wish it would just flow, but this is not really an option, as @mickdl and Italuv already pointed out.

First: All doctors will try to get you "dry" in the first place, that's the goal, when there is obstruction, they will try to solve that problem, perhaps a TUIP or something like that, the goal is always, that you are able to keep dry and pee freely, when it is not possible to get you to pee easy, they will choose ISC (CIC) over incontinence all the time. When this all does not work, they will choose an abdominal wall catheter.
A friend of mine had just an operation last week where they reconstructed his urethra and changed the opening into the scrotum, he pees now like a women, all to enable him to pee. Doctors will do everything to prevent you from leaking or retention.

Selcath should never be painful, when it is bleeding, something is going wrong for sure.

There was something like a stent that opened up your urethra for some time, but this was not a solution for longer time and they stopped that technique for the most part. Incision is still done in some cases, but it has got its own problems.
It's my brain not the bladder,at least I think so someone conked me on the head in 2016 where my shunt is located and I've had neurogenic bladder ever since then, along with stabbing pain in my hands and numbness in my hands and neck and back pain

• Thinking
  • Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Pino and Edgewater
Danielgartin691993 said:
And also I have neuropathy so I don't feel I have to pee until my bladder is super full, or I'm leaking already
Well If you are having retention cause your incontinence from what is known as overflow IC... then (CIC) clean intermitting catherization is recommended. If you do it on a set scheduled you should not let the bladder get full enough to spasm and leak. The fact is if your incontinence is indeed overflow incontinence than you are certainly going to damage the kidneys and enlarge your bladder causing far worse issues. I have some partial retention that keeps me from emptying complete but I also have Interstitial Cystitis or IC very bad that can make me have urges 7 painful ones as often s every ten minutes so even though I do not empty I am not hurting my kidneys nor having overflow. Now I can get stopped up if on the wrong med or shortly after surgery but that is a different issue not to the point. Most men do not get IC and there are very few cases of it with partial retention.

So I don't know if you have seen a doctor but if he did not tell you to selfcath and give you scripts for correct catheters then you should not be plying around with the idea anyway. That said if he has told you you need to practice CIC than it is something you need to do for good reason. If you have not been to a urologists and are just playing with catheters you can cause infection and a lot more if not done correct!!!!!!! Like for real People leave catheters alone unless instructed to by a doctor and preferably a urologist!... In your case an enlarged prostrate a bladder infection or prostrate infection could be causing it and it can be causing blood.

But 100% aa proper size and lubed catheter should not cause any issues of blood or pain. if you have a prostrate infection how ever it can cause all the issues you are having and a catheter then can make it worse and even cause bleeding if it is to large and not a coude tip!

Have you been to a urologist? If so have you had test done to determine why you are having these symptoms in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: Freddie07601, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Danielgartin691993 said:
It's my brain not the bladder,at least I think so someone conked me on the head in 2016 where my shunt is located and I've had neurogenic bladder ever since then, along with stabbing pain in my hands and numbness in my hands and neck and back pain
I just seen this. The "at least I think so" makes me think you need to go do some urodynamic and let them figure out if it is nerve signals not getting out or other. I also have a hole in my spine they say might be contributing. I have had that my entire life but the last few years they also found a Tumor on my cord where the nerve roots spread at the base.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Diaperman95 said:
Well If you are having retention cause your incontinence from what is known as overflow IC... then (CIC) clean intermitting catherization is recommended. If you do it on a set scheduled you should not let the bladder get full enough to spasm and leak. The fact is if your incontinence is indeed overflow incontinence than you are certainly going to damage the kidneys and enlarge your bladder causing far worse issues. I have some partial retention that keeps me from emptying complete but I also have Interstitial Cystitis or IC very bad that can make me have urges 7 painful ones as often s every ten minutes so even though I do not empty I am not hurting my kidneys nor having overflow. Now I can get stopped up if on the wrong med or shortly after surgery but that is a different issue not to the point. Most men do not get IC and there are very few cases of it with partial retention.

So I don't know if you have seen a doctor but if he did not tell you to selfcath and give you scripts for correct catheters then you should not be plying around with the idea anyway. That said if he has told you you need to practice CIC than it is something you need to do for good reason. If you have not been to a urologists and are just playing with catheters you can cause infection and a lot more if not done correct!!!!!!! Like for real People leave catheters alone unless instructed to by a doctor and preferably a urologist!... In your case an enlarged prostrate a bladder infection or prostrate infection could be causing it and it can be causing blood.

But 100% aa proper size and lubed catheter should not cause any issues of blood or pain. if you have a prostrate infection how ever it can cause all the issues you are having and a catheter then can make it worse and even cause bleeding if it is to large and not a coude tip!

Have you been to a urologist? If so have you had test done to determine why you are having these symptoms in the first place.
Yes, he made me piss myself like a real baby and my urinary sphincter is tight, but I'm worried if they loosen it I'll pee myself even worse, just like my sister, She struggles with this too, it's not the bladder, but the brain because of cerebral palsy, I was knocked in the head where my shunt is located and I've been wetting the bed ever since, luckily I got the hell away from my stepfather, I'm back with my biological father and sister, He understands bed wetting, medication didn't work and catheter usage caused bleeding

Diaperman95 said:
I just seen this. The "at least I think so" makes me think you need to go do some urodynamic and let them figure out if it is nerve signals not getting out or other. I also have a hole in my spine they say might be contributing. I have had that my entire life but the last few years they also found a Tumor on my cord where the nerve roots spread at the base.
Is that where they fill up your bladder with water until you piss your pants, I can't risk that, one unprotected piss, I will delete my entire digital footprint from the internet for good

Diaperman95 said:

I don't think it's overflow incontinence otherwise my diapers would leak all the time

Pino said:

Hey my friend I have not spoke to you in a bit. Your bladder sounds so much like mine..... it does not know what it wants to do!

Very well spoken a catheter should not hurt done right. I am really starting to believe I have MS too. I have been now battling a very bad case of mixed sleep Apnea but mostly 80% central apnea. Meaning my brain just stops telling my lungs to breath. I just did my 3rd sleep study in less than a year. I have tried CPAP then Auto CPAP I have been using for 6months they tried BiPAP but now they decided I need a ASV and they might even have to add oxygen. I know you been chasing some POTS and nerve issues myself. I am almost scared to go to sleep this last study was so bad. My O2 was as low as 80% better than the (54% a year ago), Heart rate dropped as low as19 bpm, plus about 180 some apnea events just as many random limb movements, I got 12 min of rem sleep. Anyway I don't want to steel the thread I will hit you up in a PM one of these restless night. But if anyone here knows a lot about central sleep apnea or have used ASV Adaptive Servo-Ventilation Please PM me!

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
Danielgartin691993 said:
Is that where they fill up your bladder with water until you piss your pants, I can't risk that, one unprotected piss, I will delete my entire digital footprint from the internet for good
No Not exactly. but that and the false information on catheters does tell me you have not seen a specialist!
Danielgartin691993 said:
I don't think it's overflow incontinence otherwise my diapers would leak all the time
Wow! I don't know what that even means.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back