Running out of garbage room for diapers.

Love living in the burbs twice a week trash pickups!

Reactions: AshtonFreecss and Edgewater
I usually will bring a couple with me whenever I go somewhere where I know there is a outdoor public bin. I.e. gas stations, supermarkets, CVS, the car wash, etc. I try to rotate places frequently so that it never becomes an ongoing issue at any one place.

Reactions: Edgewater and SparkyDog
wiliawi said:
I usually will bring a couple with me whenever I go somewhere where I know there is a outdoor public bin. I.e. gas stations, supermarkets, CVS, the car wash, etc. I try to rotate places frequently so that it never becomes an ongoing issue at any one place.
It's a PITA to have to do this constantly though

Reactions: Edgewater, AshtonFreecss and SparkyDog
blaincorrous said:
This strikes me as a terribly insensitive thing for us to have to deal with. It’s almost like they’re begging us to explain why our trash is SOOOO much heavier than everyone else’s. What secrets are you hiding, Mr. Smith? Why are you requesting an extra bin? Why can’t you just fall in line with what’s expected of one standard deviation from the mean?
My apologies for using the word "us" here. I'm not incontinent and I just realized this is he incontinence section. Though all my complaints about not falling within their normal should still stand.

Reactions: OnePiece and Edgewater
SparkyDog said:
does it get weighed?
our bins are picked up by the mechanical truck arm.
I have not heard of a weight limit around here
but if the lid isn't 100% closed they won't take it and you get to keep that garbage for an other 14 days
Here in SoCal, if your trash cans exceed 100 LBS, the trash company will charge you more. They also use a mechanical arm, which I'm assuming has some way of weighing the trash can when it's picked up. I just moved back here, and I genuinely thought we were going to get charged for it this week. Been considering taking a couple used diapers with me when I leave the house and tossing them somewhere in a public trash to avoid the fee, as mentioned a couple times by others.

Reactions: Edgewater
blaincorrous said:
My apologies for using the word "us" here. I'm not incontinent and I just realized this is he incontinence section. Though all my complaints about not falling within their normal should still stand.
no worries IC might have more diapers but those in abdl also have to dispose of their diapers

AshtonFreecss said:
Here in SoCal, if your trash cans exceed 100 LBS, the trash company will charge you more.
I wonder if the empty weight of the can is taken into account. They arnt exactly light even empty. You'd lose several pounds just from the can weight alone

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and AshtonFreecss
SparkyDog said:
I wonder if the empty weight of the can is taken in account. They arnt exactly light even empty. You'd lose several pounds just from the can weight alone
That's a valid point, and not something I've ever considered. Perhaps I'll give the trash company a call today and see what they say

AshtonFreecss said:
That's a valid point, and not something I've ever considered. Perhaps I'll give the trash company a call today and see what they say
That's a good idea. No where in my garbage info does it state weight restrictions since it switched to the truck picking up bins
when we just set out bags they had a weight limit. Now it's just lid doesn't close no pick up

it’s just $10 a month. I don’t see the issue here, just pay them and stop worrying about it.

LePew said:
it’s just $10 a month. I don’t see the issue here, just pay them and stop worrying about it.
I know it's "just" but that's 120 a year until the next price hike. Im on a bit of a fixed income as it is.

SparkyDog said:
does it get weighed?
but if the lid isn't 100% closed they won't take it and you get to keep that garbage for an other 14 days
Thats Ridiculous ( Lid Completely Closed). We have so many raccoon / I mean Homeless people in my City. Garbage / Recycle is gone over 2-3 times in 8 hour period. In my city ( Waterloo ) you can buy extra Garbage Tags $2.50 which allows you to place more than 4 bag Limit per 2 weeks.

• Wow
@Kevster never had anyone going through my bin
Im sure they would slam that lid closed real quick from the smell haha
I roll it out just before I go to bed
it's usually collected by 8am

Reactions: slimjiminy and Edgewater
SparkyDog said:
I wonder if the empty weight of the can is taken into account. They arnt exactly light even empty. You'd lose several pounds just from the can weight alone
Yes, the empty weight is logged in as static weight and whatever the allowed above is then set as maximum. NOTE: That maximum is set a bit higher to allow for variation, truck to truck and the effect of Seasonal Variation in the hydraulic system (cold weather resistant) The technology was originally in place to protect the hydraulics from an overload /blown hoses and is common across a wide range of applications.

Reactions: AshtonFreecss and SparkyDog
I feel for you SparkyDog, really! I go thru about the same number of diapers myself, and remember having to deal with the bin situation. I see you are not wanting to use cloth diapers, and I don't either, so the question is what to do with all the dirties?? Are you able to change at the office or gym once a day? Anywhere else you routinely go where you might be able to toss a used diaper in a bin? I do one change at work and one at the gym, so I am somewhat able to reduce my own bin usage. This leaves 2, maybe 3, used diapers for home garbage.

Reactions: Edgewater and SparkyDog
@NorthwestDiaperDude
Unfortunately my job isn't exactly officed based but I will definitely throw out away from home when I can. But am not taking used diapers from home to throw out elsewhere the smell in my car would get unbearable especially on hot days.
I just miss the unlimited garbage option we had before. We pay the same amount as before and have way less garbage collection .
Its too bad can't chuck them in the compost or recycling

I feel for families with multiple small kids it adds up fast.

SparkyDog said:
does it get weighed?
I don’t think it is weighed. I’ve been out of town on trash day and had two weeks worth of diapers in there (maybe 150 pounds) and they have always taken it.

Funny thing is, most trucks have cameras that the driver can see (for safety reasons), so I can only imagine their face when a bin full of giant printed diapers comes falling in. 😳🙈

SoCalSwitch said:
Funny thing is, most trucks have cameras that the driver can see (for safety reasons), so I can only imagine their face when a bin full of giant printed diapers comes falling in. 😳🙈
You don't have them in garbage bags?

Bnuuy said:
You don't have them in garbage bags?
I absolutely throw mine in garbage bags
they are medical though

Where do you beautiful folks live? I get trash picked up twice a week. It is kinda standard in the US Northeast it’s covered by our taxes, which are Yes, quite high!
But still I don’t have to eat my garbage! YAY. 🤣

Back