Running out of garbage room for diapers.

SparkyDog

Full Time U-IC DL
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
This is more a rant but if others have similar issues feel free to chime in.

In my city we get garbage pickup only every other week. As you can imagine 4+ adult diapers per day fill this bin up rather quickly. Sometimes you run out of room in the bin. City allows you to drop off 2 extra garbage bags for free at a special station but have to be in clear bags.
So some days a garbage bag or 2 sit in the garage smelling up the place on a hot summer day.
Its frustrating

The city will give a larger bin if you have extra medical waste but it's $10 more per month and same pickup schedule.
I don't run out of room every month so hate to pay more on those days

sigh

Reactions: Edgewater, Neroforte, surprise35 and 1 other person
Same problem here too. Two weeks in the sun in the summer and add some shellfish to that😱
I don't have any solutions other than trying to minimize diaper use.

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
OnePiece said:
Same problem here too. Two weeks in the sun in the summer and add some shellfish to that😱
I don't have any solutions other than trying to minimize diaper use.
That's impossible for me to do. 4 a day is my bare minimum I can already go. Can't use less

Reactions: Edgewater, ReluctantAdult, OnePiece and 1 other person
I'm just curious.
Have you thought about using cloth diapers?
I don't necessarily mean switching over completely to cloth. Just as an alternative to always using a disposable diaper.

Reactions: Edgewater, EcoIncon and Diprs2
Babyboyzen said:
I'm just curious.
I don't necessarily mean switching over completely to cloth. Just as an alternative to always using a disposable diaper.
Oh yes I sure have they just do not work for me what so ever
I've tried many times and many kinds

Reactions: Edgewater, ReluctantAdult, surprise35 and 1 other person
I’m constantly reminded why I’m so fortunate not to live in a large city. My large roller garbage bin is picked up weekly and my even larger recycling bin is picked up every two weeks. While it’s claimed by those who dwell in large cities that there’s always something to do and always something going on those of us who’ve grown up in rural areas have mastered the art of creating our own fun and entertainment.

Reactions: Edgewater, OnePiece, Diprs2 and 2 others
SparkyDog said:
In my city we get garbage pickup only every other week. ... City allows you to drop off 2 extra garbage bags for free at a special station but have to be in clear bags.
So some days a garbage bag or 2 sit in the garage smelling up the place on a hot summer day.
Its frustrating
I used to have that same problem. But in our case, you were allowed a clear bag for pickup for medical needs. But the last thing I wanted to do is to leave my diaper waste out there in the clear.

I used to dedicate one tall (max allowed size) can for diaper disposal. And whoa, it can smell in the summer after 2 weeks!

My problem is solved now that I live in an apartment. I only have to get my bag of garbage discretely down the hall and into the garbage chute.

SparkyDog said:
This is more a rant but if others have similar issues feel free to chime in.

In my city we get garbage pickup only every other week. As you can imagine 4+ adult diapers per day fill this bin up rather quickly. Sometimes you run out of room in the bin. City allows you to drop off 2 extra garbage bags for free at a special station but have to be in clear bags.
Its frustrating

The city will give a larger bin if you have extra medical waste but it's $10 more per month and same pickup schedule.
I don't run out of room every month so hate to pay more on those days

sigh
Damn! Has it always been set up that way? I can imagine how fast you run out of room to accommodate 4+ diapers a day!

Reactions: Edgewater
I sometimes wrap my diapers up in a plastic bag and throw them away in public trash bins. But the Canadian city I'm in at least has garbage pick up once a week yet sometimes if my diaper is smelly I will just throw it away in a public bin.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and SparkyDog
Diprs2 said:
Damn! Has it always been set up that way? I can imagine how fast you run out of room to accommodate 4+ diapers a day!
no its a fairly new system about 18 months
we used to just set out bags unlimited amount. Same schedule but no volume limit. Now if the bin lid isn't completely closed they don't take it

surprise35 said:
I sometimes wrap my diapers up in a plastic bag and throw them away in public trash bins. But the Canadian city I'm in at least has garbage pick up once a week yet sometimes if my diaper is smelly I will just throw it away in a public bin.
I do throw the occasional one away when away from home but it's not many

Babyboyzen said:
I'm just curious.
I am very curious to try. There's an investment though.

Zeke said:
I’m constantly reminded why I’m so fortunate not to live in a large city. My large roller garbage bin is picked up weekly and my even larger recycling bin is picked up every two weeks. While it’s claimed by those who dwell in large cities that there’s always something to do and always something going on those of us who’ve grown up in rural areas have mastered the art of creating our own fun and entertainment.
I can agree with this. I could never imagine living in the city. And we do create a lot of fun. Shooting, mud trucking, hunting, fishing, bonfires and much more. On days we aren’t doin much, we just sit around sipping coffee or whiskey and talk shit and tell tales. We also will go bowling or to the movies as well. I love living in the country. RHEC!!! (Raise hell, Eat cornbread)

Sorry to hear you having problems with garbage disposal. I wish I had some advice.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, OnePiece, Diprs2 and 1 other person
We get our general garbage collected every three weeks but our council has given me an extra bin for my used nappies. Always bagged but by the end of 21 days the bin is so full it feels like it is full of concrete.

One thing I've found with disposal is that adult diapers can get very heavy lol. I guess it's mostly just "water".

I had to take my diapers to the rubbish dump today because I couldn't fit them in my bin. I usually have to do this if I try and put my bag out in the bin and it's already full from my flatmates stuff.

Cammer said:
I can agree with this. I could never imagine living in the city. And we do create a lot of fun. Shooting, mud trucking, hunting, fishing, bonfires and much more. On days we aren’t doin much, we just sit around sipping coffee or whiskey and talk shit and tell tales. We also will go bowling or to the movies as well. I love living in the country. RHEC!!! (Raise hell, Eat cornbread)

Sorry to hear you having problems with garbage disposal. I wish I had some advice.
RHEC, love it! Some city folk bowl too! #Commonground ;)

• Haha
Yep, the weekly garbage bin gets rather heavy. I empty my diaper pail twice a week and it’s at least ~50 lbs. each time. I don’t really run out of space, but out of weight. I haven’t got the notice of a too heavy bin like some, but I have to wonder sometimes.

SoCalSwitch said:
Yep, the weekly garbage bin gets rather heavy. I empty my diaper pail twice a week and it’s at least ~50 lbs. each time. I don’t really run out of space, but out of weight. I haven’t got the notice of a too heavy bin like some, but I have to wonder sometimes.
does it get weighed?
our bins are picked up by the mechanical truck arm.
I have not heard of a weight limit around here
but if the lid isn't 100% closed they won't take it and you get to keep that garbage for an other 14 days

This strikes me as a terribly insensitive thing for us to have to deal with. It’s almost like they’re begging us to explain why our trash is SOOOO much heavier than everyone else’s. What secrets are you hiding, Mr. Smith? Why are you requesting an extra bin? Why can’t you just fall in line with what’s expected of one standard deviation from the mean?

Reactions: OnePiece, Edgewater and SparkyDog
Wow!! And they want more control!! Not thinking that would be a good idea, as they are not handling this well at all!
We still have the original size plastic trash cans and it is picked-up once each week. Likely that smaller city thing at work here!
FYI: Those amazing trucks with the mechanical arm have a device that weights each load. So, you are likely very close. Consider yourself lucky, so far, good friend.

Reactions: Zeke and SparkyDog
Back