Pull Up “Underwear” Recommendations

iatec779

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello, found this site and hoping some more experienced people may have an answer…
Recently I’ve been having bed wetting episodes after them being mostly gone for number of years. (Happened a lot into teens and 20’s, usually while drinking then lol) have had a few lighter accidents last few years.
My wife brought home a mattress cover and a pack of Depends Night Defense. Needless to say, they don’t hold up to the job and there are so many others to choose from.
Anyone have opinions on best pull up style briefs/diapers?
I’m not ready to go all the way with tape on yet even thought the wife says she doesn’t care what I wear to bed. Has to be something in between.
Thanks in advance

Reactions: Angelapinks and KrazyJoe67
I don't think pull up diapers are really going to do the trick for bed wetting but the best I know of are as follows;

Abena level 3 pull ups
Attends premier pull ups
Tena intimates overnight pull ups
Wellness overnight pull ups

All of these will be better than anything depend makes but a mid range tab style diaper would be much better something like;

Abena level 4 (plastic backed)
Betterdry day
Seni super plus
Northshore supreme or supreme light

Hope you find this helpful and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Reactions: sport1, Diaperpee8 and diaperdude
Thanks for the quick reply! I will look into trying a couple of those and hopefully they will work out better.
The depend she bought was better than waking up with nothing but I am a belly sleeper and still wake up all wet cause of it leaking.
I hope they work out vs a tab diaper. The pull-ups for the 1st time in front of her was embarrassing enough lol. She’s been a nurse for many years and is very supportive of helping me though this so that makes it better. If it comes to that I know she will understand as she says she just don’t want to wake up in pee lol.
I have a Dr appt in a couple weeks. Never been to urologist, been reading up on tests and I’m so nervous! I’m scared at some point they will want to do a test that requires a catheter or something. Never had one, never had a prostate exam etc. don’t really want any either but guess see what happens. I’m probably overthinking it but google will make a guy do that.

Reactions: diaperdude
iatec779 said:
Recently I’ve been having bed wetting episodes after them being mostly gone for number of years. (Happened a lot into teens and 20’s, usually while drinking then lol) have had a few lighter accidents last few years.
My wife brought home a mattress cover and a pack of Depends Night Defense. Needless to say, they don’t hold up to the job and there are so many others to choose from.
I’m not ready to go all the way with tape on yet even thought the wife says she doesn’t care what I wear to bed. ...
Pull-ups work for me in the day time, though the capacity is low.

I was slow to accept wearing briefs for overnight because of embarrassment. But I have tried to make pull-ups work and concluded that they are simply not up for the job, even with boosters. They are very prone to leak. It is much better to wear a brief and have a dry bed in the morning.

So listen to your wife and use a brief. I use the TENA Super cloth-backed diaper with plastic pants because it is sufficient for me and inexpensive. The plastic pants are a must with cloth-backed briefs because they often weep a little. I wear PJ bottoms over top to maintain some level of dignity.

If cost is no object, briefs like the MegaMax are very good but are plastic backed. Plastic backed briefs have the advantage that plastic pants are not required (unless you fear fecal IC).

Reactions: diaperdude
You're a belly sleeper, so you need padding that goes high and wide in front. Pull-ups won't give you that. You didn't state how heavily you wet, which also makes a difference. I'm going to predict that you will spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find a pull-up that works, trying to avoid a tape on diaper. Ultimately you will kick yourself for not just going with what works and going through several months of poor sleep and a wet bed. Try some tape on diapers, your wife will thank you. BetterDry 10, Northshore Megamax and Supreme, Abena Comfort 4. And get some nice sleep shorts/pants to wear over them.

Reactions: CLPP, slimjiminy, Pino and 1 other person
iatec779 said:
Hello, found this site and hoping some more experienced people may have an answer…
I’m not ready to go all the way with tape on yet even thought the wife says she doesn’t care what I wear to bed. Has to be something in between.
Thanks in advance
I use Tranquility Pull Up style for during the day but have not used them at night however I use Tranquility ATN ( all thru the night) diapers for overnight and they have a lower capacity so I think the Pull Up style may work for you. I do like the ATN because they are plastic backed and they are flooded in the morning but I have had very few leaks. I find the Pull Up style is higher cut on the hips so I doubt it would work for me.

I'm going to say the same thing as everyone else so far, that pull-ups aren't really designed for overnight. They're mostly for people with daytime urge incontinence in case they can't make it to a toilet in time. They don't hold alot and the people who wear them usually don't stay in them for very long after they're wet.

It's probably hard to see yourself as "lucky" but if your only wetting overnight and you're wife is a nurse who already knows you wet the bed and doesn't care what you wear.... that's pretty lucky. Definitely see a doctor, but I'll tell you the same thing my fiance told me: it's not a big deal as long as you manage it.

Pull-ups aren't going to work, and you're going to need something that tapes on if it continues. I get where your coming from because I used to feel the same way, but think about it from her perspective. Would you rather be married to a guy who is in denial about wetting the bed and leaks onto the sheets, or to a guy who quietly goes into the bathroom and puts something on under his boxers that's invisible to you before getting into bed?

I wear diapers day and night, and my fiance who I've lived with for years almost never sees me in one. I sometimes wear pull-ups after I shower in the evening, and if we're going to be intimate I slip them off with my boxers. But other than that, the only thing she sees that makes me visibly incontinent is the snaps on the left shoulder of my onesie, since no matter what I'm always at least covering myself with boxers.

So my advice is deal with it practically. The only real difference between a pull-up and a diaper is that a diaper has tapes instead of elastic so that it fits better. Either way your still wearing something disposable and peeing in it.

Reactions: Angelapinks, diaperdude and CheshireCat
From my experience I can also only agree all the other comments - pull-ups are no solution for the night unless your IC isn't more than a dribbling. I rely on Tena Proskin Maxi diapers for the night (besides mattress protection under the sheets) - never leaked since months! Also my wife doesn't care what I wear, at the beginning of my IC she asked me openly to try out various different products and find out and wear whatever feels comfortable for me. She is fine with everything and even has no problem cuddling and touching me everywhere...

Reactions: littlefun, Angelapinks and CheshireCat
Tena Pants (in Europe) works great for me. If you need heavy protection, the Maxi absorbs a lot !!! And more confortable than pads. But way more expensive !

Pads would often shift when you move too much and get unconfortable. Also they drop when wet and get even more unconfortable. And risk to leak...
So I recommend to wear pads when toilets are easy to reach. Other wise Pants are more confortable and safer.

Reactions: Angelapinks
Wow I just checked back in this AM and diddnt expect all the kind words and support, thank you all for that. Makes me feel good that I’m not alone in this.
Think I am going to order a pack of the Abena Abri-Forms with some booster pads from Amazon today and give those a shot for a few nights. Seem to have good reviews. I’m a little worried as I can’t find any cloth pull ons that look like the padding goes all the way up to front waist though. Something I probably need sleeping on my belly.

It’s crazy how a while back when I first opened the depend night defense she bought, I said to her I thought they would be less diaper like, she said back to me, “well what did you expect they need padding to work”. Needless to say they diddnt and now I am buying ones with more padding lol. They are not uncomfortable as I initially thought they would be though. After I lie down I can’t even tell I have them on.
I’m lucky to have such a good support system at home. She actually wears smaller pads for light incontinence all the time. Has done so for years. She says 3 kids do that to women.

My incontinence… I seem to get in a deep sleep and at some point in the night and just don’t wake up to use bathroom around 3-4 nights a week. Depending on fluid intake, it’s usually alot of pee.
I been googling the condition and some med sites say diabetes and sleep apnea can cause it as well, both of which I have. I have a cpap though so thought the Apnea was under control.

Going by all the advice here from those that wear tape on style diapers. How do you put them on by yourself? If I end up having to buy some my 1st concern is how do you get one on say in the bathroom alone so I can put boxers on over it.
Guess I thought they were more for caregivers and people in bed but sounds like they don’t make pull-ups that can keep up with a full on diaper.
I do see what everyone means by stating I need a full diaper, the pull-ups I have and others I see in pictures the padding doesn’t go all the way up to the front waist for belly sleeper like me. Just not sure I want to whip one out and lie in bed strapping it on next to the wife just yet. Even though I’m sure she wouldn’t mind, I prefer to keep it a little more discrete if at all possible.
Today if she’s asleep first I slip on a pull-up and put boxers or shorts on over it. Throw away next am in trash. If she’s up, I can do it easily in bathroom alone. Idk why it matters as she watches me get one and go in, just makes me feel better doing it alone right now.
I will say the next AM is not that discrete right now as the depend leaks out requiring a sheet change. Hoping these Abena’s help that.

Thanks again for the advice!

• Love
Reactions: Angelapinks, diaperdude and Pino
iatec779 said:
Think I am going to order a pack of the Abena Abri-Forms with some booster pads from Amazon today and give those a shot for a few nights.

Try to order the Abena Abri-Form Comfort, not the Premiums. The Comfort have a plastic back sheet, not cloth-like.

Be prepared. Putting on an Abena Abri-Form the first time you will feel like you've strapped a pillow between your legs. You will get used to it.

Be sure to "fluff" the diaper before putting it on. Gently run a finger under each leak guard its full length to ensure it will hug your body. Fold the diaper length wise to create a V channel down the length of the diaper. Then gently twist the diaper one way and then the other to break the initial stiffness of the pad. Don't over do it, otherwise the padding will fall apart and clump when wet.

Lastly, stand against a wall to put the diaper on. Position it at the proper height and lean against the wall while you pull up the front and get the initial tapes placed. It's best to do it in front of a mirror if possible when learning.

Reactions: Jonnythepony and Pino
All the other gave good advice, i do not have a lot to add.

The best Pull-Ups i use are the Attends Pull-On8 and Molicare Premium Mobile 8/10. But as all others said, they will not be the best solution for the night. When you do not like use tape diapers, what i do understand, try the "in between" solutions, like the Molicare Premium Elastic, they can be used like a Pull-Up, but can hold much more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Cheshire, I think I misstated what I was going to try first. I said abriform which appear to be the tape on style. Think I’m going to try the abri-flex pull on 1st. And buy a booster pad pack.
If that don’t keep the bed dry then guess I’ll try the tape on style.

As far as cloth backed style diaper, guess I thought there was plastic behind the cloth feel? But, some here say they leak easier, are they not plastic under the cloth feel part?
Sorry for all the noobie questions. I found northshore and a couple others have sample options. I probably need to order some sample packs and feel it out myself.

Reactions: BabyBeeGee
iatec779 said:
As far as cloth backed style diaper, guess I thought there was plastic behind the cloth feel? But, some here say they leak easier, are they not plastic under the cloth feel part?

Most brands do not have plastic behind the cotton feel, they are secure enough though, but tend to "sweat" a little when used.
The biggest problem i do have with "cotton feel" is the fact that they loose their tightness when sleeping, what results in leaking.
For night issues i personally go as big as possible, but i am a heavy wetter and side sleeper when it happens, i do prefer plastic back all day long, because they keep the fit much better.

It is a little shamming to go to bed crinkling, but better than a wet bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CheshireCat and iatec779
Thanks Pino makes sense I suppose. I diddnt think about extra noise of plastic eeek lol.
Ordering a few samples today, see how the next week goes. Thanks again everyone!

iatec779 said:
Thanks Pino makes sense I suppose. I diddnt think about extra noise of plastic eeek lol.
Ordering a few samples today, see how the next week goes. Thanks again everyone!
The Northshore Megamax will be the quietist option. It shouldn’t keep your partner jolting awake from sudden loud crinkles if you do wake up and travel from the bed in the night.

I went to north shores website today and have to say it was awesome. I put in issues, waist size etc and they are sending me a sample pack with 2 each, 2 different style guards, pull ons, megamax brief and megamax air (cloth backed maybe I think) in large and XL. What a great way to let someone see in person and try things out easily. Supposed to be here in 2 days as well.
Idk if I’ll use everything but sounds like get to see all their options. They have these supreme underwear in black, I’m hoping those with or without an extra pad will do the trick. If not, guess I will now have a few megamax diapers to try. I’m so nervous about unboxing those with my wife though. She helped me order and said might as well get everything to try.
My face is gonna be bright red if I end up going to bed for the 1st time with one of those huge looking things on lol. If nothing else holds an overnight pee, I’m guessing those will though.
Looking forward to waking up without soaked sheets and a soaked depend underwear on. I can’t believe how worthless they are.
Thanks for the support!
Let you all know how it goes in a few days

Reactions: CLPP, IcyBlue, CheshireCat and 1 other person
Insert/booster pads are not a great way to use diapers, they tend to defeat the leak guards.

Personal fav for night is the tena active fit maxi/ultima. Very comfortable and the only one ive ever used that has literally never leaked. Belly sleeping us always a tough one for leaks but plastic pants can be a great last line of defence, suprima 1287 are the most comfortable and effective ive found.

Northshore is my go to. I'm running to medical appointments today with a Megamax Air under my jeans. Heavy protection that's still reasonably discrete. You will find that several of the Northshore products come in colors other than white. It removes the medical stigma for some.

It's okay to be embarrassed at first. What's important is that your wife is supportive and helping you deal with your bedwetting. The best way to cope is to own it and make jokes about it yourself. Your wife will thank you for handling it with maturity and not being overly sensitive about it with her.

And as @inconsurferdude stated, see a doctor. Don't assume it's happening for the same reason as when you were younger.

Reactions: Jonnythepony and Pino
iatec779 said:
Thanks for the quick reply! I will look into trying a couple of those and hopefully they will work out better.
The depend she bought was better than waking up with nothing but I am a belly sleeper and still wake up all wet cause of it leaking.
I hope they work out vs a tab diaper. The pull-ups for the 1st time in front of her was embarrassing enough lol. She’s been a nurse for many years and is very supportive of helping me though this so that makes it better. If it comes to that I know she will understand as she says she just don’t want to wake up in pee lol.
I have a Dr appt in a couple weeks. Never been to urologist, been reading up on tests and I’m so nervous! I’m scared at some point they will want to do a test that requires a catheter or something. Never had one, never had a prostate exam etc. don’t really want any either but guess see what happens. I’m probably overthinking it but google will make a guy do that.
Having just been through this the knowing is better that the minor pain of the scope. I know it’s crazy scary but definitely get the tests if needed. I’m facing another procedure and I am a bit scared of that as well. If your IC is getting progressively worse it’s better to be protected but being comfortable wearing diapers is not going to happen over night. But it is worth it!

Back