Pampers / Luvs Fragrance Reboot

southeastlittle said:
I don't see Harajuku Lovers Baby in stock anywhere. Where did you get it from?
Ebay, it is a very old tester. They have not made it in a long time.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
OK, after searching for Luvs diapers for a long time (they are extremely hard to come by in Canada), I finally found them available as an online order from The Real Canadian Superstore. I had read recently on reviews that they still had a strong scent so I figured I would take a chance on seeing what that scent was. I am gobsmacked to have found out this is almost the exact same scent of the original Pampers from the 80's...

On smelling the outer plastic of the package the smell was instantly recognizable, faint, but clearly almost the exact same one I remember. On opening the package the smell of the diapers themselves is WAY to strong, and it misses a certain note. I think the outer plastic used to package the diapers (the box has two sealed plastic bags in it) itself imparts an important aspect that brings things a lot closer to the original scent (as diapers back then were plastic backed).

I just got these things a couple hours ago, but I am now have a few different adult diaper brands in a garbage bag with about 20 or so of these Luvs. The adult diapers all have slightly different types of plastic backing and I am curious to see how each reacts to/absorbs the scent and what the various plastics impart to it. I am going to try some other plastics/rubber/latex products as well. The fragrance added to the diapers is I believe the same one, but it is missing the addition that those plastic backed diapers imparted. If one was to take a classic Pampers diaper from the 80's and put it in a ziplock with one of these Luvs I am pretty sure within a week or two you would have a Pampers diaper that once again smelled like it had in the past.

Luv's are owned by P&G, and this current scent they have on these is effectively the same scent, or as close as they can get to it with modern allowable components. If anyone wants to get the notes of the fragrance, get them off these things. If anyone wants scent strips, I suggest just buying a package of these.

I think other than playing around now trying to fine tune the scent with the plastics and mellowing out the scent by letting these breath for a while, my search is actually done. The box I have looks exactly as below.

21588925_front_a01_@2.png

Reactions: southeastlittle and PadPhilosopher
OK, last post on this for a while. With more time trying to figure these things out I have figured out that the fragrance/perfume is actually exactly like original Pampers/Luvs. There is an addition to these diapers that I imagine is some kind of antibacterial stuff and it has a pretty strong, almost caustic scent to it. It is prevalent on the inside of the inside of the diaper and does not really smell as strong on the outside. The original scent is totally there, but it has a tough time standing out with this other scent of the addition.

That said, with Pampers actually still using the original scent on at least the Luvs brand diapers the quest to find out the scent properties should be a lot simpler.

Reactions: southeastlittle and PadPhilosopher
stiletos said:
OK, last post on this for a while. With more time trying to figure these things out I have figured out that the fragrance/perfume is actually exactly like original Pampers/Luvs. There is an addition to these diapers that I imagine is some kind of antibacterial stuff and it has a pretty strong, almost caustic scent to it. It is prevalent on the inside of the inside of the diaper and does not really smell as strong on the outside. The original scent is totally there, but it has a tough time standing out with this other scent of the addition.

That said, with Pampers actually still using the original scent on at least the Luvs brand diapers the quest to find out the scent properties should be a lot simpler.
I will pay you handsomely for whatever you come up with

stiletos said:

Something to note about that underlying scent that might be missing is possibly an analogue of urine smell, or uric acid. Others have noted that this feels like the missing ingredient and could be made part of the scent to help prep the nose for, or mask the scent of an actually wet diaper if some part of that pee smell are already built into a very pleasant scent.

I've also noticed this in my own diapers - when I have baby powder and baby lotion, my wet diaper sometimes suddenly gives me a scent that instantly reminds me of Pampers. It's weird but I think that's what that 'caustic' underlying tone might be doing.

• Thinking
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and theancientmariner
I haven’t smelled Luvs in awhile, but I did drink a Prime hydration drink the other day. The flavor is called “Meta Moon” and I can’t shake that the smell/taste is pretty similar to what I remember Luvs smelling like. It apparently tastes like blue raspberry, bubblegum, and cotton candy (according to the manufacturer.) Whatever it is, I’m constantly sticking my nose in the bottle between drinks.

• Haha
Back