-Mental care - mental hospital- PLEASE help your opinions or experience?

Raven801

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I'm going to keep it more simple this post long story short due to medical issues and things in life at this point I am struggling with depression in a big way. I have scared myself with my own thoughts and have come very near the edge. Much closer than I care to admit. And on that note I was going to self commit at a ER ....I made it to the parking lot and couldn't make myself go in...I just couldn't. Because I was worried how I would be treated and how my IC would be handled it's embarrassing and I didn't want to be a burden to anyone. And the iceing on the cake is I'm considered a fall risk in hospitals and that creates some unpleasant issues and at times I'm in enough pain and weak enough taking care of myself is extremely difficult or not possible sometimes I'm so mentally exhausted I just don't care to take care of myself. My depression is a rollercoaster and on my other post a lot of people made some very nice posts but I think I made it a little long winded and wasn't very clear on what I was looking for. So what was your experience negative or positive and was it helpful? How were your own physical issues handled ? If your incontinent was it handled with dignity and respect? Do you know what it's like ? Any input is appreciated and I thank you all in advance.🥴 This is a hard thing to ask and to deal with but...

• Love
Reactions: Pino, babyscotty37, sport1 and 5 others
Short answer is it was helpful for me every time I was on a ward. It was positive and was treated with respect. It sounds like you need to get help with your depression, either inpatient or outpatient.

Reactions: LordDuque, Jorelaxed, Edgewater and 1 other person
As a "bottom line" type of guy, I would say that if you need help, then be sure to get it! Consider what happens if you don't get help. Throw embarrassment out the window because I am sure they've seen it all. Don't worry about them - they are there to help!

• Love
Reactions: LordDuque, Jorelaxed, mrsmallory666 and 2 others
You have serious medical issues, which should cause your treatment to be handled differently than most. I believe they will be addressing your whole person versus simply depression, as many reasons for your depression are rooted on physical issues. Get the help.

Reactions: Jorelaxed and Raven801
I've been there. You just have to let someone know that you need to get charged and they normally have 2 ppl come to your room and transfer you to the bed then change your diaper. Then get you back to your classes(they kinda want to teach you coping stills. When you're admitted they'll ask about your toileting needs don't be afraid to talk about it. I was never allowed to keep my diapers in my room. So I just there being wheeled down the hallway with the other cna carrying a diaper and wipes walking with us. O well what the fuck can you do. The thing is no one is going to say anything if they see cause they have their own lives to worry about and when you see them on the outside they aren't even going to acknowledge that they where there trust me.

I wonder if you wouldn't be helped by having a care aid come in and help you out some. Whether it be personal care or something as simple as prompting to do certain things.

Reactions: Jorelaxed and Raven801
I'm going to commit myself..I'm struggling too much to not . I appreciate all the comments and assistance... hope it helps ..time will tell see you all in a few weeks or whatever it takes.

Reactions: LordDuque, jwh and slimjiminy
@Raven801, I hope you're able to get the help you need. Many of us here appreciate your contributions and your insights, and we all hate to see you struggling.

From my own experiences with psychiatric hospitals, I will say that there will be good parts to your stay, and there will be some difficult parts. Working through the issues that lead to major depression isn't easy, and getting the right meds at the right dosage can take a while. You will make it through, though. It was very literally lifesaving for me.

Godspeed, my friend.

Reactions: Raven801
It sounds like you're at crisis point and I'm glad to hear you're going to get the help you need now. Waiting doesn't seem like an option any longer so the sooner you get care the better.

Hope to hear of some good turn-around from you soon.

Raven801 said:
I'm going to commit myself..I'm struggling too much to not . I appreciate all the comments and assistance... hope it helps ..time will tell see you all in a few weeks or whatever it takes.
We will be rooting for you while you are in there. Desiring for the best.

Reactions: Jorelaxed
My ex had to go in there and it helped her quite a bit because she got a clear diagnosis and treatment for her issues.
Therapy has also been very helpful for many of my friends.
This forum is also a place that provides support to those who respectfully ask as you are well aware.
Friends or people you can at least talk to allow you to vent your mind which allows you to understand yourself better.

A good quote I heard recently is "No problems, Only puzzles"

If you haven't gone already most facilities are great at handling other medical conditions and usually as part of the intake they will ask how you manage it. Most facilities will keep them locked up and you need to ask for them as needed and depending on your medical conditions though I haven't been to one as a patient but they have different types of places so like say there are times you may need help as part of placement in a facility they will make sure you go to the right one depending on your needs. Also depending on facility usually for a certain period of time you could be in scrubs and non slip socks till your cleared but even than alot of facilities are almost like a jail in a way like some don't allow boots as they can be used as weapons, belts and strings can be used on yourself or others so if you bring a sweat shirt bring one without strings.

If your reading this afterwards I hope it helped and things are better it take a lot more strength and courage to recognize and ask for help.

Reactions: Raven801 and CptKirk
Hello Raven,

Your case sounds familiar to me, we pass the same period. Hospital, confine in your room, nurses. Missing seeing people and living a true life. I passed here : wheelchair, heart issues, neurologic issues. They tried 3 time for an operation of my vertebral column, the first one they ask be to go back home just before the start, the second I literally died 3 times, and the third they finally succussed. But I got 6 staphylococcus and then some more weeks locked in hospital. It was also the starting point of my incontinent. It was exhausting.

I do really understand what you are going through.

What saved me? Philosophy. In hospital you have time to discover this wonderful world, that learns you a new way to think. A new way to see life. My favourite book is Meditation : Thought for myself - Marc Aurelius, you should read it and it would be a pleasure to talk about with you.
It helped me so much facing those situations, and I'm it would be the for you.

Take care.

Teddy

Raven801 said:
I'm going to keep it more simple this post long story short due to medical issues and things in life at this point I am struggling with depression in a big way. I have scared myself with my own thoughts and have come very near the edge. Much closer than I care to admit. And on that note I was going to self commit at a ER ....I made it to the parking lot and couldn't make myself go in...I just couldn't. Because I was worried how I would be treated and how my IC would be handled it's embarrassing and I didn't want to be a burden to anyone. And the iceing on the cake is I'm considered a fall risk in hospitals and that creates some unpleasant issues and at times I'm in enough pain and weak enough taking care of myself is extremely difficult or not possible sometimes I'm so mentally exhausted I just don't care to take care of myself. My depression is a rollercoaster and on my other post a lot of people made some very nice posts but I think I made it a little long winded and wasn't very clear on what I was looking for. So what was your experience negative or positive and was it helpful? How were your own physical issues handled ? If your incontinent was it handled with dignity and respect? Do you know what it's like ? Any input is appreciated and I thank you all in advance.🥴 This is a hard thing to ask and to deal with but...
I grew up wondering why I was different got married and was really manipulated. I am being older was tested and found to have autism +dd boy did that answer a bunch of questions. I was always slow and bullied some. I married this great lady and as time passed she became my caregiver. I also became double incontinent. Thanks for letting vent.

Raven801 said:
I was in the mental hospital about 6 months ago. When I was checking myself in on the phone I informed them that I wore diapers and asked about bribing my own diapers. They said they had to be cloth backed so I wore the cloth backed Abena m4’s. I was there for a whole week and almost ran out of diapers. Honestly the hospital staff were really nice about it but it was still embarrassing. What sucked is I couldn’t keep any diapers in my room and I had to ask the nurses for a diaper each time I needed to change. While I was in the hospital some girl who was also a patient commented on my butt being big but she didn’t know I was in diapers so I played it off.

I went in involuntarily when i was 10 and 3 things were learned from it, I'm autistic, Living my life split between 2 homes due to divorce was causing significant psychological damage, And that i don't do well in confinement so a mental hospital will do me more harm than good.

Not incontinent myself but dealing with some deep depression as well right now. My healthcare provider doesn't seem to care. My last therapist (online through Better Help) said I wasn't trying hard enough and had some sensory disorder and told me to find a new therapist. I had a mental breakdown then at work, this was like 2 weeks ago. And, now, I'm always thinking about the depression and late to work, early to leave, often times depressed at work. I feel suffocated in my office space with so many people, security on both sides, restrictions on devices, etc., it's like a prison.

I've suppressed my emotions for over 20 yrs and now it's not working. I'm trying to get help from my healthcare provider but they take so long and don't seem to care unless you're on the absolute verge of suicide. I'm not going to, but I wish my stupid healthcare provider would care more. I have a psychiatry appointment Thursday, psychological assessment I'm paying for myself later that day. No idea when I'll get a new therapist but I'm gonna keep pushing for one because I can't keep living like this. Meetups, chats and other activities are mere distractions but the depression always comes back in full force.

Luckily, I don't think I'd ever go through with any type of self harm. It is easy to do in my situation, but I would not.

I can relate.
About 1 month ago I had to go to the ER for suicidal ideation/intent.
While in the ER waiting for a bed in the mental health unit. I was allowed to keep a pack of my supplies with me. However I was told to change into scrubs and they locked my regular clothes into a tote.
Once I was on the mental health unit, they gave me 3 diapers at a time. When I needed more I just asked for them. I was in for about a week and the whole time nobody said anything to me about wearing diapers. Out of 12 patients there was myself and 2 others with inco issues. One of the ladies wore pull-ups and the other had plastic backed. Both had the cheapo hospital ones, but I was fortunate that my wife brought me my NRUs.

Some of the nurses were rather strict about the rules, and others would bend them a little bit as long as you were polite and didn't cause problems. One example being: My wife would bring me a coke and you weren't supposed to have any caffeine after 8pm. Some nurses would come and take it away and others would let me just keep it.

Due to a spinal surgery (even though it was 16 months ago) they still classified me as a fall risk. I don't believe it really changed how they cared for me, other than if they saw me walking to/from my room and the common room they would have someone walk next to me.

Going in helped me as I was prepared to end my life. It got me stabilized and I am now on an anti depressant and seeing a therapist. Other than the boredom and the guilt I feel for putting my wife through that, I can say overall it was not a bad experience, but one I'd rather not repeat.

ericj1 said:
What ****** is I couldn’t keep any diapers in my room and I had to ask the nurses for a diaper each time I needed to change.
I'm in a nursing home with as many, if not more, rules as a hospital. I don't complain because I hope to get accepted soon by an assisted living.

My take:

If you need/want the help, go in, period.

I myself havent had the depression that bad, but anyone may get that low at sometime.

I can say that I have medical issues and spent about 1.5 years recently most the time in the ICU, multiple ambulance rides, and died once, all during the covid crisis.

I am a fall risk and get the little sticker or plastic clip (most hospitals it's yellow), and have issues with IC and its still embarrassing.

But, all the staff have seen it all before and much worse than anything you can think

I have close friends that have been in the mental ward, some for longer stints. Noone that is a friend will say anything but good, you needed help and got it, this is a good thing!

So, just go in right away, and if your not up to drive, call on the phone and get an ambulance ride in...Do what is best for you, there is not the stigma as it used to be about going into counselors or even going in voluntarily is fine. Good friend of mine went in during high school, and a current friend locally went in. My ex GF went in for AA, same things, need help get it. I went in from low BP, I see no difference in Low BP or Depression, both can end in a bad way, and NO ONE should be afraid to goto the hospital.

Raven801 said:
I’m glad you were brave enough to share this.
I was born with severe scoliosis and a club foot. My peers, especially those a grade above me, were merciless to me on a daily basis through the 8th grade. I wore a back and foot brace until then.
A year, I pretty much overcame all that with great parents and living on a farm.
I was able to purse my childhood dream of being a professional pilot.
But in my mid 30’s my life fell apart but it’s a very long story I’ve shared before on here.
After losing my career , part medical, and then major depression, my desire to live was gone!
That was in 1994. My entire identity, every bit, was in my being a pilot. When I lost that I was devastated.
Thankfully, with Gods help and hard work, my identity in Christ was created.
Yet, for the last decade chronic pain in my upper back has made it difficult. Especially the last sixteen months after my PA at the pain clinic got her panties in a wad as I tried to address some mistakes and assumptions of a few staff. I was dropped as a patient without ever me nasty, cussing or threats.
Then a series of Twilight Zone” snafu’s by staff at two other clinics I was running out of options.
Finally today I think things will be better.
Anyway, I have had nearly a hundred voluntary admissions to various units the last 20+ years.
I ALWAYS take a suitcase with me packed with what I hope is enough diapers to last my estimated stay. A few times a friend had to come to my place and get a bag and bring them to me.
Most, not all, units have the very cheap diapers to provide but those don’t even begin to work for me!
Staff has always been great.
You mentioned your health issues, and trouble caring for your self. If you are indicating you may need help changing, it’s extremely unlikely the staff, nurses or techs, will assist you unless you can demonstrate ti the admitting doctor that you need help.
One time, in 1999, I went in patient shortly after being discharged from the hospital after two extensive back surgeries. I was weak and in a lot of pain. It was obvious to staff I needed some help. But I what they preferred, and I was able to do, wax to get the used one off mostly myself and then posing myself on the new one and pull between my legs and cover my genital area. I mainly needed help taping the new one properly.
I hope this helps you not feel quite so desperate. Please, don’t be so afraid you won’t get help.
I totally understand the anxiety that builds as you are trying to go inside!!! I still feel that way for some reason. But once inside, and Er staff start the process, I usually feel a big weight lifted!! I am safe and no longer have to fear impulsive thoughts. Just that goes a long ways to getting stabilized.
I’d you go, I encourage you to be active in groups, going and participating. I discovered that art therapy helps me more than anything. Unless directed otherwise, I enjoy making collages that express what I’m feeling.
The most dramatic one I had found a picture of a crying baby that I put in the middle, surrounded by chaotic scenes depicting various areas of life.
It helped me express how I was feeling derp down inside b
I hope you let us know how you are after your stay, if you go.
Take care

Back