Linux geeks unite

Man..I'd love to really use Linux full time , it frustrates me using it. , I have been trying to find a online , or evening course to use it in my spare time.. but that all doesn't start until September.

Reactions: LittleBoyCuddles
My ideal PC would be a Lenovo ThinkPad running Linux Mint with Windows 10 available to run in a VM for what Linux can't run.
Curious about trying Arch Linux but it would take me a little while to learn

Reactions: ShippoFox and perlFerret
littlelambchop said:
My ideal PC would be a Lenovo ThinkPad running Linux Mint with Windows 10 available to run in a VM for what Linux can't run.
Windows in VM on a laptop is too slow.
Grub can perfectly dual boot a Linux and Windows

• Thinking
Reactions: HappyCamper, ShippoFox and perlFerret
winterheart01 said:
Agreed entirely, though my Lenovo through work had no problem running Windows 7 in a VM for the few places that required it.

Reactions: ShippoFox
Yay linux! I like KDE based things, but really I'm a CLI person most of the time anyway. oh-my-zsh is fun, and I use vim and screen most of the time.

Reactions: perlFerret
littlelambchop said:
It's not that bad at all. Unless you mean the manual installation. You don't have to manually install Arch anymore (but it is recommended to try for people who want to learn) You can use the new, official guided installer or one of the many unofficial installers. Or you can use another Arch-based distro (like I do for my PC) I didn't do the manual install because I didn't have the wifi driver I needed at the time. But for manual install, the Arch wiki is very good.

winterheart01 said:
That first thing depends on the laptop. I can run Windows in a VM on my laptop just fine with KVM.
Second thing is entirely true. My laptop is setup to dual boot Arch and Win11 (though I don't know why I bother keeping Win11 on there. I haven't used it in months)

kavi said:
Yay linux! I like KDE based things, but really I'm a CLI person most of the time anyway. oh-my-zsh is fun, and I use vim and screen most of the time.
I like KDE, but I'm too used to i3 now 😹

Last edited:
ShippoFox said:
It's not that bad at all. Unless you mean the manual installation. You don't have to manually install Arch anymore (but it is recommended to try for people who want to learn) You can use the new, official guided installer or one of the many unofficial installers. Or you can use another Arch-based distro (like I do for my PC) I didn't do the manual install because I didn't have the wifi driver I needed at the time. But for manual install, the Arch wiki is very good.

That first thing depends on the laptop. I can run Windows in a VM on my laptop just fine with KVM.
Second thing is entirely true. My laptop is setup to dual boot Arch and Win11 (though I don't know why I bother keeping Win11 on there. I haven't used it in months)

I like KDE, but I'm too used to i3 now 😹
I love i3 but for both my work machine and my graphics workstation, I currently use Pop!_OS, which has a built-in extension to GNOME that enables dynamic tiling mode. I find that that works slightly better for the sort of thing I do nowadays. But in the (very recent) past, it was i3 all the way for me.

Reactions: ShippoFox
perlFerret said:
I love i3 but for both my work machine and my graphics workstation, I currently use Pop!_OS, which has a built-in extension to GNOME that enables dynamic tiling mode. I find that that works slightly better for the sort of thing I do nowadays. But in the (very recent) past, it was i3 all the way for me.
I tried that extension out in a VM and kinda liked it, but it also seemed a bit.... clunky. A lot of windows didn't behave properly and the controls are kinda weird. Things that are simple in i3 seem to have extra steps. But the extension is definitely a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
I can't edit my post....?

It could be that I just haven't used the Pop tiling extension enough to get used to it. I'm trying it out a bit now. It seems better than I remember. Or maybe they made some good "QoL" sort of updates to it.

I also had to wipe the VM. It kept giving 404 errors trying to update and upgrade. It seemed easier than wasting time trying to figure out what was happening.

Last edited:
ShippoFox said:
Once you run VM's in a bare metal nutanix / VMware vSphere or on azure, you'll no longer want to go back xD
The performance difference of not having a complete OS, even if it's a Linux is noticable (because vSphere or nutanix prism or azure are also running on Linux), it's still not optimized for this job. Same with the hardware.but the Linux for the mentioned bare metal nutanix or cloud servers are.

Reactions: perlFerret and ShippoFox
I wouldn't call myself a Linux geek, but having cheap genes gives me an appreciation for opensource.

I'm typing this on an old machine that came with Windows Vista. When support for that pig ceased, I bought a new computer with Windows 10 (5 years ago?) and installed Ubuntu on this one. I'm not even sure of the vintage, but it's running a 32 bit AMD processor. It will sort of run 18, but 16 is more stable so I stuck with that. I don't use it for much other than coming here and occasionally digitizing old vinyl via Audacity.

I used to be more of a hobbyist, going all the way back to Commodore, but lost interest when computers became appliances. The final death knell for me was when I got a smart phone and a chromecast audio about the time I was fooling around with networking my music collection to various devices around the house. I could spend hours tweaking my setup, or I could....swipe down and touch the screen.

P.S. I saw something a few months ago about a suspicion that Audacity was suspected of becoming malware when somebody bought them. Did that ever get confirmed or debunked?

LittleBabyJake said:
Well, DuckDuckGo doesn't make any money through telemetry and ad links though. Those for me are the worst offenders that polutte there search results. So, in that regard it isn't like Google. Additionally, they don't use their cookie info to make money.

They mainly earn through affiliates. Search results are there for me like 90% of the time, for the rest my first stop is Bing. On a very rare occasion Google wil still get a search out of me.
I won’t use nobody else except Google because I don’t like all the random questions like some search engines

Reactions: LittleBabyJake
BoundCoder said:
Yup. Discovered Linux pretty early on. Started with Slackware, used Gentoo for a long time, gave Arch a shot when Gentoo started falling apart but didn't like it, currently on Fedora but might finally give in and go with Ubuntu like everyone else.
Tried all kinds of misc distros in the middle of course, but those are the ones I actually used for any length of time.

Professionally I've worked with some form of *ix or Solaris pretty much exclusively for my career. I've been in environments where we used Windows for email and internal office stuff, but I've never done any actual Windows development work since getting out of school.

I used to be a lot more involved in the open source community back in the day, and used to absolutely be into customizing every little thing (former Gentoo user remember). I maintained a custom overlay and a whole pile of custom patches and tweaks. That said, my interest in doing computer stuff at work /and/ home has waned a lot, and while I still have a relatively complicated setup, I pretty much just use it for browsing the web and watching Netflix and stuff like everyone else, and am a lot more willing to just use things the way they are out of the box.
BoundCoder
HI, if it's OK can I recommend "Mint" before you make a move to Ubuntu, both come from Debian roots, and Mint is also from parts of Ubuntu, been using Mint for 18 or 20 yrs. it just works out of the box, even got my older brother who is Red Hat certified to change to Mint.
Anyway just say'in

babypp said:
I won’t use nobody else except Google because I don’t like all the random questions like some search engines
wait... what? what are you talking about? what random questions?

Reactions: HappyCamper
ShippoFox said:
wait... what? what are you talking about? what random questions?
I just don’t understand other ones except Google is what I meant

HappyCamper said:
BoundCoder
HI, if it's OK can I recommend "Mint" before you make a move to Ubuntu, both come from Debian roots, and Mint is also from parts of Ubuntu, been using Mint for 18 or 20 yrs. it just works out of the box, even got my older brother who is Red Hat certified to change to Mint.
Anyway just say'in
Well that's odd, I used Mint (cinnamon) and was quickly turned off by how fast the updates broke.
I now maintain 41 RHEL 8.6 servers and they run more stable than Linux Mint.
Hell, even WSL 1.0 (I can't run 2.0 due to VPN issues from work with ISP and expressroute from Azure cause) runs even better than that regarding upgrade stability.

Mint hasn't really been stable and supported in a while. If you're a KDE person, KDE Neon based on Ubuntu LTS is pretty good, and on the arch base side, people tend to be really happy with Manjaro, if not arch specifically.

winterheart01 said:
Well that's odd, I used Mint (cinnamon) and was quickly turned off by how fast the updates broke.
I now maintain 41 RHEL 8.6 servers and they run more stable than Linux Mint.
Hell, even WSL 1.0 (I can't run 2.0 due to VPN issues from work with ISP and expressroute from Azure cause) runs even better than that regarding upgrade stability.
I use Mint with Mate desktop and with the solid footprint of Debian I have never in all this time crashed a machine. Red Hat is good but there package management is not as good, I have an older brother that is Red Hat certified and have converted him and now he is converting his friends where he works (Colorado). I didn't like cinnamon from the start,,, there goal was to be like microsoft, I tried a live version and it was not for me.

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience with Mint, I wish I could make up for that.

I had an 88 yr. old client (female) on Mint "Mate Desktop" for over 10 years until she passed (covid), but she loved it, she would use the scanner and also made cards on her machine, One of my few clients that had a color laser printer.

Anyway just say'n

kavi said:
Mint hasn't really been stable and supported in a while. If you're a KDE person, KDE Neon based on Ubuntu LTS is pretty good, and on the arch base side, people tend to be really happy with Manjaro, if not arch specifically.
Try the Mint with Mate instead, but if you like KDE I agree with you, but the support has never faulted for me in 18/20 years, The updates come just as fast as Red Hat/Manjaro.

HappyCamper said:
Red Hat is good but there package management is not as good
never had any issues with running an automated yum/dnf upgrade on any of those systems.
Oracle Linux on the other hand, which is basically a rebranded copy of RH gave me a Bus interruption error during an update and the VM wouldn't boot anymore. (we got rid of that OS :p )
in worst case when you screwed up something really bad with RPM these days the transaction manager and history can still roll back previous transactions.
Iknow, years ago RPM based distro's were unreliable. Very much so actually I went to Gentoo Linux because portage was very stable, until they broke it after many years for me

Back