Linux geeks unite

This is going to sound weird, but While I don't have Linix, I do like the mascot. Tux is adorable! Also, I don't think I ever used a linix machine But I would like to try it someday.

tux.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: initramfs
I think I like Xenia a lot better than Tux as far as mascots go. I feel Xenia better reflects the community and its roots but I won't deny that Tux is also a great design!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LittleBoyCuddles
KittyninjaW said:
Also, I don't think I ever used a linix machine But I would like to try it someday.
If you have an Android phone or smart TV, you've at least brushed up against Linux. The kernel or core of Android was adapted from Linux.

kadix said:
I think I like Xenia a lot better than Tux as far as mascots go. I feel Xenia better reflects the community and its roots but I won't deny that Tux is also a great design!
Poor Xenia. Her species was hijacked by Mozilla and her name was accidentally similar to that of a Microsoft product (Xenix) that pre-dated her by more than a decade. I wonder if the latter hurt her popularity.

Reactions: initramfs
Cottontail said:
If you have an Android phone or smart TV, you've at least brushed up against Linux. The kernel or core of Android was adapted from Linux.

Poor Xenia. Her species was hijacked by Mozilla and her name was accidentally similar to that of a Microsoft product (Xenix) that pre-dated her by more than a decade. I wonder if the latter hurt her popularity.
and if you've ever used a macbook or mac pro then you came prettty close to linux, MacOS runs on a modified version of (Free)BSD
but since OS 10.17 (if i recall correctly) they started dumbing things down like removing command line commands by default

kadix said:
I did not even know that this existed despite being on the scene back in the late 90's. Not sure how I never came across this before.

The thing is though that is one hideous mascot. The penguin is much better due to it's simplicity making it more iconic, that fox thing could be any old hentai character for all I know.

LittleBoyCuddles said:
I did not even know that this existed despite being on the scene back in the late 90's. Not sure how I never came across this before.

The thing is though that is one hideous mascot. The penguin is much better due to it's simplicity making it more iconic, that fox thing could be any old hentai character for all I know.
The original drawing isn't very good, I agree. But it could have been redesigned. And how is it hentai at all? Is that just some absurd generalization?
I would have liked a fox mascot, but Tux is iconic, and Linus Torvalds likes penguins.

• Haha
ShippoFox said:
And how is it hentai at all? Is that just some absurd generalization?
Yes. :ROFLMAO:

Absurd, generalized and incorrect, this I know, but it amuses me to say it none-the-less.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ShippoFox
I often work with linux systems, more than 70% of the people with whom I constantly communicate using linux as the primary operating system, but I can not fully switch to linux because many of the software that I use does not work with linux or it has many times more problems that it windows versions.

And the most important thing that keeps me from switching to Linux is a lot of Adobe programs. I've tried other alternatives, but Photoshop is still the best of all the image manipulation programs for me.

Also I don't really want to deal with GPU related issues in programs like Blender and DaVinci Resolve.

Well, and the NVIDIA ShadowPlay is just a masterpiece and I can't imagine my life without it. So many funny moments can be captured with Replay feature.

Personally, I never felt that the package manager was so necessary in the system. I know that windows has winget, but personally I've never used it. I use the browser for all that stuff, I don't even know why. (But I can't imagine a programming language without a package manager like pip, cargo or npm)

On the other side I also can't imagine my life without the utilities from mingw64. Like wget.

I still use linux on my main machine from time to time. Most often to run docker containers, because the Windows version of the docker has too many bloat in it and my rather weak PC in terms of CPU and RAM can't handle it. It's quicker to reboot, though.

I know about the ability to run Windows programs on linux, I know that in a pinch I can use KVMs, but I just do not want to bother with it all, the pros of moving to linux will not be more than the cons. Linux users are much more affected by certain software being made only for Windows than the other way around. I'm staying on windows. I think I'm profiting from both sides anyways.

Can I consider myself a Linux geek if my smartphone is rooted and I constantly use its root-related features? :`D

Last edited:
I can barely stand windows now, but I'm not going to be a gatekeeper.

Linux has almost anything I need (and some stuff windows doesn't have). And If Linux doesn't have it, then I can go without it or I can still dualboot, but I haven't started anything other than Linux in months, so I don't run into many problems of windows exclusivity.

I also didn't like Photoshop when I tried it out one time. but I'm biased. I never bought it, but I had the chance to try it a few times. It's overpriced and overrated. I wish people would boycott them over the pricing, but that's just my opinion. I understand why people use it. And I also don't do much image editing or art. And when I rarely do art, it's not usually on a PC. It was usually on my ipad, which is ancient, so I just haven't bothered in a long while.

I have about 550gb in NTFS, and I feel like it's almost a waste of space I'll rarely use.

I never used shadowplay and my new pc doesn't have nvidia. I was mad about nvidia's lower vram and higher prices. Plus, the 6700xt performs better than the 3060, and I could not afford going above that tier.

I feel like lack of a package manager is a huge flaw of windows. Half my software was probably always outdated because it was just too much trouble to update everything several times a week after every tiny mini bugfix. And the millions of "please update this program" windows every time I booted were extremely annoying! Now, even if I don't always immediately do updates, I know almost everything is being updated. I never tried winget though, and I'm assuming it lacks tons of software.

I'm a little sad that I've never really convinced anyone to switch to Linux, but you have to use what works best for you.

I might have to root my phone eventually if I don't want to get a new one. It's going to stop getting official updates before long. :( But I did it before with my old phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleBoyCuddles and perlFerret
ShippoFox said:
Half my software was probably always outdated because it was just too much trouble to update everything several times a week after every tiny mini bugfix.

> "I don't touch it as long as it works and works as well as I need it to"

I'm not a fan of a situations when an update breaks some part of my software. So I don't even update windows. But that's everyone's business.

But I like to watch my friend who updates his Fedora to a new "Stable" release and it breaks so badly that he goes to reinstall it. What I like even more is that he really enjoy reinstalling his Fedora ;D

• Haha
But why did Fedora break? Maybe he just thought it was easier to reinstall than troubleshoot. I almost put fedora on my new PC, but I went with another distro instead.

I absolutely hate when updates break things too. But if you never update windows, or any operating system really, you're vulnerable to extra malware, viruses, data theft, etc. Not sure how often it happens, but it does.

ShippoFox said:
But if you never update windows, or any operating system really, you're vulnerable to extra malware, viruses, data theft, etc. Not sure how often it happens, but it does.

I'm sometimes do... 99% of the times when I forget to turn off the Update Center after using the Microsoft Store. Or when something pops up in the news (But so far this has never happened.)

ShippoFox said:
Maybe he just thought it was easier to reinstall than troubleshoot.

He really enjoy reinstalling his Fedora.

• Haha
Reactions: ShippoFox and LittleBoyCuddles
ShippoFox said:
I might have to root my phone eventually if I don't want to get a new one. It's going to stop getting official updates before long. :( But I did it before with my old phone.
If you have a Google Pixel phone then GrapheneOS is actually really good for privacy.

Sheogorat said:
> "I don't touch it as long as it works and works as well as I need it to"

I'm not a fan of a situations when an update breaks some part of my software. So I don't even update windows. But that's everyone's business.

But I like to watch my friend who updates his Fedora to a new "Stable" release and it breaks so badly that he goes to reinstall it. What I like even more is that he really enjoy reinstalling his Fedora ;D
This has been my usual typical Linux experience, I update something and my desktop is broken so it reboots into a CLI. I don't like having to fix broken updates so I usually end up just switching to another distro only to be dissapointed again.

Sheogorat said:
He really enjoy reinstalling his Fedora.
LMAO, that is the only way to stay sane when dealing with updates I guess.

Reactions: Sheogorat
LittleBoyCuddles said:
If you have a Google Pixel phone then GrapheneOS is actually really good for privacy.
nope, a oneplus from a few years ago

LittleBoyCuddles said:
This has been my usual typical Linux experience, I update something and my desktop is broken so it reboots into a CLI. I don't like having to fix broken updates so I usually end up just switching to another distro only to be dissapointed again.
I still don't understand WHY this is happening to people. I have a few computers and it does not happen to me. I even use arch-based distros. I maybe had it happen once, but it was my old laptop (and a more obscure distro), and I hadn't used it in months, so I didn't put much effort into fixing it. it had another distro already installed, so I just started that up. And my old PC is still running the same linux install from like 2+ years ago.

• Thinking
ShippoFox said:
nope, a oneplus from a few years ago

I still don't understand WHY this is happening to people. I have a few computers and it does not happen to me. I even use arch-based distros. I maybe had it happen once, but it was my old laptop (and a more obscure distro), and I hadn't used it in months, so I didn't put much effort into fixing it. it had another distro already installed, so I just started that up. And my old PC is still running the same linux install from like 2+ years ago.
Probably because package managers on Linux treat all packages equally, an app is treated the same as your desktop environment package, and when dependencies are wrong on something and it tries to determine the most compatible version according to ruleset mistakes will be made and it decides that certain packages are no longer required so it removes them.

Another reason might because so much of Linux is still treating the desktop and related components the same as every other app package in terms of configuration, everything is done through basic config files, symlinks and other things susceptible to breakage. If an update moves something and forgets to update a symlink, or some config file pointing to something or the config file is moved or contains things it does not know how to handle gracefully it just freaks out. There doesn't seem to be any consideration for 1st class citizens among system services like your desktop, sound etc etc.

And because of the deep dependency hell of desktop environments relying on so much "not built here" libraries when things change it can break other stuff. Stringing together a whole desktop OS using a command line OS made of components that depend on other 3rd party components is perhaps not the smartest idea. The dependency tree of a typical Linux desktop install is insanely deep, all vomited into the same directories too, it is chaos as far as I am concerned.

Even Mac OS which is UNIX certified (no you cannot pay for that, your implementation needs to meet their requirements) does not install everything like that. Mac OS extends UNIX to safely situate system components in special locations to make management / updating simpler, and even applications go in the `/Applications` directory.

If Linux extended its UNIX-like directory structure for better organisation of apps and 1st class system components and used config servers to gracefully handle config files the experience would be much better but sadly the community is stubborn and prefers things breaking to give the hobbyists something to do.

Reactions: ShippoFox
But I don't run into this problem. I even recently fixed a dependency issue, but it never broke my system. I'm just lucky, or really careful, or both.

• Thinking
I dabbled in Linux many moons ago. I even paid for a copy of Corel Linux because it came with a squishy stress-Penguin. Though after a year or so of playing with Linux, mostly Gentoo, at home I gave up.

But it feels like I’ve come back again with the RaspberryPi. And all the frustrations of command line, and dependencies come flooding back. Thankfully the latter has improved from dependency he’ll, but the former - I’ve moved on from wanting to command-line everything (and getting mad at typos, or other small errors that mess up long commands) and would much rather live in my graphical Windows universe.

Even trivial roadblocks are maddening which my younger self would have loved as “character” -like needing to get Widevine installed separately for Netflix (or how it won’t even run in Firefox on Raspbian).

Reactions: Sheogorat, ShippoFox and LittleBoyCuddles
neurallink said:
I dabbled in Linux many moons ago. I even paid for a copy of Corel Linux because it came with a squishy stress-Penguin. Though after a year or so of playing with Linux, mostly Gentoo, at home I gave up.

But it feels like I’ve come back again with the RaspberryPi. And all the frustrations of command line, and dependencies come flooding back. Thankfully the latter has improved from dependency he’ll, but the former - I’ve moved on from wanting to command-line everything (and getting mad at typos, or other small errors that mess up long commands) and would much rather live in my graphical Windows universe.

Even trivial roadblocks are maddening which my younger self would have loved as “character” -like needing to get Widevine installed separately for Netflix (or how it won’t even run in Firefox on Raspbian).
Is the Pi powerful enough to run Netflix smoothly? I know it has a fair amount of power but Netflix is such a resource hog (probably because of all the DRM junk).

I’m running both Pi4s and a P400. I have no issues running Netflix / Prime or Kodi. They all seem to run without any issues from the processor perspective; Chrome might take a moment to load, but that’s about it.

I’ve been running Netflix from browser rather than Kodi, mostly because I haven’t got it running in Kodi properly.

ShippoFox said:
But I don't run into this problem. I even recently fixed a dependency issue, but it never broke my system. I'm just lucky, or really careful, or both.
does anyone know specifically why this might be? am I really just that careful? are other people just "careless", for lack of a better/nicer word? it just is fine to me. things don't really break like these absolute disasters I hear about. to me, that's the linux of like 15 years ago when I could not use it outside a virtual machine or live cd. I don't understand what people are doing to cause problems. and I use rolling distros too. It's like i am using linux from some alternate universe, like they just don't have the same thing.

I know there have been a few specific times, like when Linus broke Pop OS, and when there was some major issue with grub not long ago (that I managed to avoid somehow). but it seems like this is a constant thing that happens to people, not just bugs like that. It just really confuses me. I don't know how these people are ending up with broken systems, even if I "technically" know why it could happen.

Back