Infrequent urge incontinence and bedwetting

JonahAteAWhale

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello guys! So I have been a bedwetter my whole life, and as a child would frequently wet during the day, which was lengthily investigated by doctors but no cause found. I seemed to grow out of it, and I never really thought about it too much, until 6 years ago when I was put on certain psychiatric medication. Since then, however on an infrequent basis, I have had an overwhelming and sudden urge to urinate and been unable to hold it on several occasions, with a feeling of immense building up pressure and no strength in the face of it, As you can imagine, anxiety about wetting myself in public has become a major issue.

Around this time also my bedwetting issue, which hadn't been too bad for a long time, got suddenly worse. Now due to my day and nighttime wetting I was in nappies at night and often in the daytime under the age of 10. Bedwetting persisted but nappies became a secret part of my life in my teens due to feelings of shame from the traumatic attempts of my stepdad to cure my wetting issues by taking away nappies and waking me frequently around age 10. Anyway my bedwetting got worse when I was put on this medication, and I started wearing nappies at night to manage it again, having not worn nappies for some years before this.

I went to the doctor and described my symptoms. I was investigated again as in my childhood and no cause was found. He was kind of dismissive and basically told me to drink less liquids. I went a second time after I wet myself in my mum's car and she made me go to the doctor again. This time I asked if it could be a side effect of the other medication, and he said maybe, and offered another medication which might help, but I tend to get a lot of side effects and I had a bad feeling so turned him down.

Due to occasional times of the urge incontinence at home, and I mean this is not very regular, there's no pattern to it, it could not happen for two months or more, then happen twice in a week, but this was happening at home and causing me to be tense and not relaxed. The tension and anxiety is immediately relaxed by a nappy though, so I've basically taken to wearing them at home which is where I am most of the time and at night. For fear of the nappy being noticed though I haven't worn to work or out and about except I've now decided to begin as the anxiety of suddenly wetting myself outweighs the anxiety of being seen in a nappy.

Am I doing the right thing by managing this with nappies? I don't dislike nappies at all, I like them, but the urge incontinence is not too bad (although causing me a lot of anxiety, which nappies relieve) but I have a worry managing this with nappies and wearing nappies too much could exacerbate the issue. I don't want to go back to the doctor as I don't know why but he seems kind of dismissive of the whole thing, like it is not an issue. I get that it is not life threatening but I am a socially anxious person and it is causing a lot of concern for me.

Sorry that was a ramble... basically, if you have any advice, I would be very grateful. I've just been hiding it from my family as I now want to avoid my mum coming to an appointment with me and maybe forcing me to have that medication, which I have a really bad feeling about.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Incon97, Diprs2, LittleDiaperDreamer and 1 other person
I started wearing because of urge incontinence and BPH The comfort level was tremendous versus the stress of not making it to the bathroom.

Reactions: Diprs2 and NappiedTruckDriver
diaperdude said:
I started wearing because of urge incontinence and BPH The comfort level was tremendous versus the stress of not making it to the bathroom.
Yes it helps with that so much. And the doctor has basically been no help. Nappies make me feel so much more relaxed. So far at work I've had two close shaves, and one time I wet myself as I was driving my car for work (there is no time between the initial feeling of wanting to go a little bit, to all of a sudden you're desperate to go right now) but was able to go home and change. These events are what has built up the annxiety and made me decide to start wearing at work.

Reactions: Angelapinks, Diprs2, moorey and 3 others
diaperdude said:
So you think it is fine to manage it with nappies? My concern at being seen in nappies is actually getting less and less as time goes on because the slim chance of it happening it doesn't seem that bad compared to walking around public covered in wee.

Reactions: maxgood, Diprs2, plasticpants1 and 2 others
JonahAteAWhale said:
So you think it is fine to manage it with nappies? My concern at being seen in nappies is actually getting less and less as time goes on because the slim chance of it happening it doesn't seem that bad compared to walking around public covered in wee.
Yep it is fine ,
I drive a truck and it would be hell with out nappies as I pee a lot and also bed wet when stressed or tired

Reactions: Angelapinks, maxgood, Diprs2 and 2 others
JonahAteAWhale said:
I’ve slowly been accepting and not caring as much when wearing pull-ups/diapers in public. I’m still a little nervous/embarrassed when I go to work in them but I just need more time to accept it

Reactions: maxgood, Diprs2 and diaperdude
JonahAteAWhale said:
Yes it helps with that so much. And the doctor has basically been no help. Nappies make me feel so much more relaxed. So far at work I've had two close shaves, and one time I wet myself as I was driving my car for work (there is no time between the initial feeling of wanting to go a little bit, to all of a sudden you're desperate to go right now) but was able to go home and change. These events are what has built up the annxiety and made me decide to start wearing at work.
Hi
I’m reading this and it sounds like I’m reading about my wetting issue I decided to wear nappies and now I have a normal life again

Reactions: maxgood, Diprs2, cantwait and 1 other person
hi I am the same with urge incontinence 14yrs wearing diaper now I just think of them as underwear and gives me safety not having to be worried about peeing. so bear with it over time you will become less self conscious.

Reactions: Diprs2, diaperdude and moorey
Hey.. I have the same issues, I started unable to control my urge and pee myself uncontrolably before i reach the toilet. I went to the doctors as well, but mine was cauzed by a car acciddent injury that never healed. I am also sorry about your stepdad problems and want you to know you are not alone!
What i can advice is , one the side of your anxiety, I know it is very stressful. Dont think too much of it as "something is wrong with me ", i would phrase it like, someone just got unlucky and got hit by a bus that kinda condition. you did not cauze it on yourself and hope you dont blame yourself for it. Once you dont feel that way, you just have to accept that you have a bladder controlling issue. It is Manageable. It is not the end of the world. You just have to use the proper type of protection, diapers, to control accidents from inconveniencing yourself :)

Also, i didnt tell my parents about it despite I became incontinent at a young age of 17, they know i have issues but didnt know that i didnt get out from diapers and being incontinent. It is your choice if you want to let them know or not. It is your life and you decide how you want to live and who you want to tell.

Wearing diapers wise, you ARE doing the right thing. It is how some or most incontinent people here manage our leaky bladders. Diapers helps you to get around your daily things without being worry about wetting yourself at some point of the day. Personally i wear to work daily and change like 4-5 times a day. And believe me , along the way, you learn when to change and what to wear etc. you will get better at it and wont be that anxious about it after awhile. My guess is this hits you suddenly and you are lost at the moment, that happened to me as well :)

If you open to options, you might want to think bout talking to a therapist about your condition instead of getting doctors to second guess your condition. And Start buying good quality diapers. Trust me, they give you alot alot confidence. One day you might even get to a point you can even give a presentation or talking to someone face to face and urge-peeing at the same time without flinching. Do reach out if you need someone to talk to , there are alot of helpful people here that can help you along the way :)

Reactions: maxgood, Diprs2, Lethdale and 2 others
Wow guys thank you for all your replies! This has been really helpful to read, I feel a lot better, thank you :)

• Love
Reactions: Angelapinks, maxgood, Diprs2 and 4 others
Dude I have a similar issue. I was bed wetting as a kid and then around 15 it started again and since then its gotten worse so I wear diapers during the day and night. Doctors never found out why my bladder just started doing it. Some days are better than others but overall unless i'm having a good day I need diapers

Reactions: Angelapinks, maxgood, Diprs2 and 3 others
Demonbabywearspamps said:
Dude I have a similar issue. I was bed wetting as a kid and then around 15 it started again and since then its gotten worse so I wear diapers during the day and night. Doctors never found out why my bladder just started doing it. Some days are better than others but overall unless i'm having a good day I need diapers
Snap

Reactions: Angelapinks and Demonbabywearspamps
JonahAteAWhale said:
Hello guys! So I have been a bedwetter my whole life, and as a child would frequently wet during the day, which was lengthily investigated by doctors but no cause found. I seemed to grow out of it, and I never really thought about it too much, until 6 years ago when I was put on certain psychiatric medication. Since then, however on an infrequent basis, I have had an overwhelming and sudden urge to urinate and been unable to hold it on several occasions, with a feeling of immense building up pressure and no strength in the face of it, As you can imagine, anxiety about wetting myself in public has become a major issue.

Around this time also my bedwetting issue, which hadn't been too bad for a long time, got suddenly worse. Now due to my day and nighttime wetting I was in nappies at night and often in the daytime under the age of 10. Bedwetting persisted but nappies became a secret part of my life in my teens due to feelings of shame from the traumatic attempts of my stepdad to cure my wetting issues by taking away nappies and waking me frequently around age 10. Anyway my bedwetting got worse when I was put on this medication, and I started wearing nappies at night to manage it again, having not worn nappies for some years before this.

I went to the doctor and described my symptoms. I was investigated again as in my childhood and no cause was found. He was kind of dismissive and basically told me to drink less liquids. I went a second time after I wet myself in my mum's car and she made me go to the doctor again. This time I asked if it could be a side effect of the other medication, and he said maybe, and offered another medication which might help, but I tend to get a lot of side effects and I had a bad feeling so turned him down.

Due to occasional times of the urge incontinence at home, and I mean this is not very regular, there's no pattern to it, it could not happen for two months or more, then happen twice in a week, but this was happening at home and causing me to be tense and not relaxed. The tension and anxiety is immediately relaxed by a nappy though, so I've basically taken to wearing them at home which is where I am most of the time and at night. For fear of the nappy being noticed though I haven't worn to work or out and about except I've now decided to begin as the anxiety of suddenly wetting myself outweighs the anxiety of being seen in a nappy.

Am I doing the right thing by managing this with nappies? I don't dislike nappies at all, I like them, but the urge incontinence is not too bad (although causing me a lot of anxiety, which nappies relieve) but I have a worry managing this with nappies and wearing nappies too much could exacerbate the issue. I don't want to go back to the doctor as I don't know why but he seems kind of dismissive of the whole thing, like it is not an issue. I get that it is not life threatening but I am a socially anxious person and it is causing a lot of concern for me.

Sorry that was a ramble... basically, if you have any advice, I would be very grateful. I've just been hiding it from my family as I now want to avoid my mum coming to an appointment with me and maybe forcing me to have that medication, which I have a really bad feeling about.
I had similar issues regarding my lack of self-control. I was advised: The only way to be sure you have the protection you need, when you need it, is to wear it all the time. I have followed that advice. As for the dismissive doctor, there is a school of thought that believes wearing protection is giving yourself permission to wet. Each of us has to decide if that is valid.

Reactions: Angelapinks, maxgood, Diprs2 and 2 others
JonahAteAWhale said:

Didn't this doctor refer you to a consultant?

Lethdale said:
Didn't this doctor refer you to a consultant?
Uh, he was a consultant... the GP referred me to him. I saw him twice... edit: actually I don't know if he was a consultant or even a doctor, now I think about it, but he was in the urology department. I may have known at the time. This was a while ago, I've been sitting on it hoping it will clear up since, which has lasted a long time because it is so irregular (6 months could go by and I am fine...)

edit2: I'm not sure if he mentioned this, but would he have looked at my childhood history and all the investigations which found no cause for the daytime and nighttime wetting? Since he found none this time, would he then think it's a psychological issue or something? (I have a mental health condition.) I don't know, I'm kind of deferent to doctors, and I felt like he thought I didn't really have a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
I have never been a bedweater but now I am weating during the day. Why do I wet during the day and not at night

rekst2 said:
I have never been a bedweater but now I am weating during the day. Why do I wet during the day and not at night
I don't know sir, maybe consult with a healthcare professional if possible.

Thanks JonahAteWhale.

JonahAteAWhale said:
Uh, he was a consultant... the GP referred me to him. I saw him twice... edit: actually I don't know if he was a consultant or even a doctor, now I think about it, but he was in the urology department. I may have known at the time. This was a while ago, I've been sitting on it hoping it will clear up since, which has lasted a long time because it is so irregular (6 months could go by and I am fine...)

edit2: I'm not sure if he mentioned this, but would he have looked at my childhood history and all the investigations which found no cause for the daytime and nighttime wetting? Since he found none this time, would he then think it's a psychological issue or something? (I have a mental health condition.) I don't know, I'm kind of deferent to doctors, and I felt like he thought I didn't really have a problem.
Ah well, if you were referred to him by the GP and it was the urology dept' of a hospital you saw him, odds on he was the consultant. 😃

I was referred to a urology consultant. I can't say he was a lot of help. He arranged various tests and decided Diabetic related nerve damage was "Most likely" the cause of my steadily increasing continence problems. He offered no cure and discharged me back to the doctor. I had to get referred to the continence nurse for practical help in managing my incontinence. She was brilliant and helped me the most. She explained properly that there is no cure for incontinence caused by nerve damage. She suggested I get the doc to prescribe vesicare which may or may not help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Lethdale
Back