If your from Britain which do you prefer to use on here. Nappy or diaper.

Interesting question. If I were speaking face to face I'd say nappy. That's what I've heard most of my life. Speaking online I'll generally use diaper as it seems to be the more commonly understood word.

I wear nappies not diapers!

Nappy, because I'm English.

There's just something l find really cringy when l hear the word 'diaper' said with anything but an American accent!

It's as bad as an American saying 'quid'!😄

Im from uk and as most people on here call them diapers i usually use that word but sometimes use nappies or sometimes both lol xxx

HelenWyatt said:
Diaper means cloth with patterns American. Nappy means nap of a cloth British we are nappy over here let's use it. We Americanize words for no reason. We are losing over many years our heritage I. E nappies so let's keep nappies and rubbers for this reason.
'Diaper' is actually old French. Cloth diapers, circa 1400 or so, were referred to as 'd'Ypres', which was probably a reference to the city where they were first used. 'Diaper' is the Anglicized version of the old French word.

'Nappy' is the diminutive form of ‘napkin’ … it has nothing to do with ‘nap of a cloth.’

Last edited:
I was raised in Spain but lived in the UK for the past 10+ years, since learning English I've always referred to them as nappies.

Back