Huggies Size 8

So i checked with a department manger for infants at my local Walmart and the said a new mod was coming in 7 weeks.

• Thinking
Reactions: hanzertas and PadPhilosopher
southeastlittle said:
"Adult size" would be what a true size 8 should be, at least for some adults (like me).
Using current sizes as a gauge, 1-6 anyway. A true size 7 would fit, on average, an age range of 6 to maybe 8. Which would make a true size 8 fit, on average, an age range of 7 to 10. Size 9 would fit 9 to 12. That would put a size 10 at the intermediate and would fit around the same range of a Goodnites XL. Size 11 would be your xsmall to small adult size. Not that I have put a lot of thought in to this....

• Haha
Reactions: southeastlittle, PadPhilosopher and babybobby
michaelmc said:
https://www.nru.co.uk/kiddo-teddy-ultra they're size 9 also tenna do a size 9
That, being an adult medium, would be more like a size 12 if they were going by baby diaper sizing standards. ABU has made this same mistake. Jumping from a size 8 that should fit a preteen to an adult medium leaves a huge gap.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Joediaper said:
That, being an adult medium, would be more like a size 12 if they were going by baby diaper sizing standards. ABU has made this same mistake. Jumping from a size 8 that should fit a preteen to an adult medium leaves a huge gap.
Agree the size 9 equates to XS i believe

IMO a size 8 like boundless is already within the XS adult ranges. they just are not adjusting the width accordingly.

Baby diapers are really not that far off from being in adult small sizes. Like most small adults I've talked to can wear clothes/get clothes from kid section within the 12-14 age bracket. I personally think if they actually make true correct sizes. size 9 would be a adult small not 10.

They basically are doing in-between sizes going forward and not doing major jumps which is why we are having this weird number scale. So instead of being like;
S -> M->L
they are doing
XS -> S -> S/M -> M -> ML -> L ... etc

Which IMO is sort of silly to do since your limiting more and more of your customer base.
Also I am making comparisons to some other XS diaper I have worn, they basically are same in length just width is to short.

• Thinking
Reactions: Joediaper, PadPhilosopher and michaelmc
Joediaper said:
Using current sizes as a gauge, 1-6 anyway. A true size 7 would fit, on average, an age range of 6 to maybe 8. Which would make a true size 8 fit, on average, an age range of 7 to 10. Size 9 would fit 9 to 12. That would put a size 10 at the intermediate and would fit around the same range of a Goodnites XL. Size 11 would be your xsmall to small adult size. Not that I have put a lot of thought in to this....
Diaper companies must think humans go from being 35 lbs. to 150 lbs. overnight or something based on their sizing range. I don't expect Pampers to make adult sized Baby Drys or anything like that, but there has to be a share of the market that would rather have that on the shelf than have to special order medical diapers online.

Last edited:
GoodnitesLover8 said:
What's crazy and amazing is that "T" is for toddler. Clothing sizes with a "T" usually indicate room for diapers under pants - designed with more give.
Years ago, Sears had a line of clothing called "Fanny Pants", which were "cut fuller for a child who still wears diapers".

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and michaelmc
adam said:
Years ago, Sears had a line of clothing called "Fanny Pants", which were "cut fuller for a child who still wears diapers".
In the UK fanny means something totally different as in boys have a willy and girls have a fanny but Americans have a habit off getting their engllsh back to front ! 🙄 ie; garbage! what a load off rubbish! 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and I12BLittle89
I’m trying to understand why diapers keep getting bigger. We all keep saying “childhood obesity”. That’s a real thing. Others state that people are opting to use diapers instead of pull-ups because they’re cheaper during potty training. That one makes way more sense to me. Then there’s delayed potty training. Parents aren’t putting forth the work to potty train as early. They less involved in their kids’ lives. But there’s so much general assumption. Then there’s shrinkflation. Make the diaper bigger but in reality it’s the same size as the previous largest size or even smaller. Yet they claim it’s for a larger weight. My mom told me I was 30-40 lbs overweight in 1-3rd grade I think it was? Doctor said I was a healthy weight. I was not abnormally small or short. So when I see diapers rated at over 47 lbs. I am curious what age group these are for. I’m not sure but I think I would have been able to wear these in 4th grade, unlikely 5th. I think in 5th I was approaching 100 lbs.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw, southeastlittle and PadPhilosopher
Parents off sick or mentally impaired children have campaigned for bigger nappies for years as alternative medical nappies where not child friendly also there's potty trained kids who still wet at night , there are night time nappies like "Ninjamas" but they're expensive in comparison . Women also use them for cheap alternatives to pads.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and I12BLittle89
michaelmc said:
Parents off sick or mentally impaired children have campaigned for bigger nappies for years as alternative medical nappies where not child friendly also there's potty trained kids who still wet at night , there are night time nappies like "Ninjamas" but they're expensive in comparison . Women also use them for cheap alternatives to pads.
But a baby diaper company is going to make bigger diapers for women to wear as pads? There’s so many sick or disabled children out there that merits demand for a company to make a specific size for them? I understand potty training and bedwetting. That one makes the most sense. Diapers are cheaper and the company is likely trying to get the business where they can. Basically “if you aren’t going to buy our pull-ups. Buy our diapers but for those who still want pull-ups. That’s our preferred product to sell.” I imagine that Huggies refused to go above size 6 for the longest time was because they wanted people to buy their pull-ups. I think they saw a segment of the market being lost because of the bigger diapers from competitors being used for potty training. So they’re likely swinging in to meet demand with both products.

I12BLittle89 said:
But a baby diaper company is going to make bigger diapers for women to wear as pads? There’s so many sick or disabled children out there that merits demand for a company to make a specific size for them? I understand potty training and bedwetting. That one makes the most sense. Diapers are cheaper and the company is likely trying to get the business where they can. Basically “if you aren’t going to buy our pull-ups. Buy our diapers but for those who still want pull-ups. That’s our preferred product to sell.” I imagine that Huggies refused to go above size 6 for the longest time was because they wanted people to buy their pull-ups. I think they saw a segment of the market being lost because of the bigger diapers from competitors being used for potty training. So they’re likely swinging in to meet demand with both products.
But a baby diaper company is going to make bigger diapers for women to wear as pads? no but they know women do this so it will be factord in to the equation for market sales i should think .

Reactions: Ashton84 and PadPhilosopher
michaelmc said:
But a baby diaper company is going to make bigger diapers for women to wear as pads? no but they know women do this so it will be factord in to the equation for market sales i should think .
At the end of the day, sales are sales. They don't care if women wear them as deluxe pads, I wear them as diaper stuffers, or my mom puts them on her dog. True story. 🤣 If they have reason to believe a product will sell at a price which will be profitable, they're going to make them. At this point, there's sales data showing that these larger sizes do sell, so they want a piece of those sales. Pretty simple, really.

Reactions: DLScottsman, michaelmc and Ashton84
michaelmc said:
I agree, when I began opening up about my incontinence with women they would share some interesting information. It blew my mind throughout the years how many women I dated including my wife that used toddler sized diapers for the heavy part of their periods. Mostly at night. The reasons they gave me were cost, ease of use, they didn't leak like pads because of the standing leg gathers and no one would assume it was for them unlike adult diapers.

Reactions: jcwilliams343, michaelmc and PadPhilosopher
Ashton84 said:
I agree, when I began opening up about my incontinence with women they would share some interesting information. It blew my mind throughout the years how many women I dated including my wife that used toddler sized diapers for the heavy part of their periods. Mostly at night. The reasons they gave me were cost, ease of use, they didn't leak like pads because of the standing leg gathers and no one would assume it was for them unlike adult diapers.
Pretty sure KC and P&G make products in both, and other personal health segments, anyway. Doesn’t matter what product it is someone buys as long as they get a sale. All the more reason to expand product lines. It picks up on those alternative/expanded uses more.

Reactions: michaelmc, Ashton84 and PadPhilosopher
kratox said:
IMO a size 8 like boundless is already within the XS adult ranges. they just are not adjusting the width accordingly.

Baby diapers are really not that far off from being in adult small sizes. Like most small adults I've talked to can wear clothes/get clothes from kid section within the 12-14 age bracket. I personally think if they actually make true correct sizes. size 9 would be a adult small not 10.

They basically are doing in-between sizes going forward and not doing major jumps which is why we are having this weird number scale. So instead of being like;
S -> M->L
they are doing
XS -> S -> S/M -> M -> ML -> L ... etc

Which IMO is sort of silly to do since your limiting more and more of your customer base.
Also I am making comparisons to some other XS diaper I have worn, they basically are same in length just width is to short.
My thought process on this is adding in the fit of 1-6 on the size people they are designed for. They are supposed to fit snug around the waist but there is a gap through the middle. Sometimes considerable when they are in between sizes and need to size up. This gap of air space is a part of why these diapers perform so well.

The size 9 may "fit" an adult XS but you can also squeeze an average sized 4 yr old in a size 5 diaper. For proper fit a 4 yr old would need a size 6. An XS adult would need a size 10. I took an image and made an outline for reference.

Outline.jpgThis was a toddler somewhere between two and three.

The black line represents the silhouette of the body, blue is the diaper and red is the elastics. The elastics play an important roll in the creation of the air gap represented in... umm... we'll just call it cyan. They add to the bunching and folding of the padding that pushes it away form the skin. This is a bit exaggerated of course likely because this diaper was a bit on the big side for this particular wearer but leads to the next part.

This modification I did of a BetterDry is borne from a size medium. The wings are still the same width as they were when it came out of the package.
s9-jpg.72028
s10-jpg.72029

As you can see I'm pushing the limits of the diaper for a proper fit and my waist is only 32 inches (81cm) and my hips are 36 (91cm). Being an actual size medium adult this diaper should be just a bit bigger than it is. I would put this one between a small and medium leaning more towards small.

Based on size charts for kids, current diaper sizes for babies and toddlers, adult size charts and proper fit as described above I see a size chart looking something like this:
1 to 6 M6 to 12 M12 to 24 M2T - 3T3T - 4T4T - 5T (4/5 XS)6 - 6X (S)7-8 (M)10 - 12 (L)14 - 16 (XL)
Adult XS

SMLXLXXLXXXL

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyLion, Rezzu, ChrisChris and 2 others
Joediaper said:
My thought process on this is adding in the fit of 1-6 on the size people they are designed for. They are supposed to fit snug around the waist but there is a gap through the middle. Sometimes considerable when they are in between sizes and need to size up. This gap of air space is a part of why these diapers perform so well.

The size 9 may "fit" an adult XS but you can also squeeze an average sized 4 yr old in a size 5 diaper. For proper fit a 4 yr old would need a size 6. An XS adult would need a size 10. I took an image and made an outline for reference.

View attachment 133778This was a toddler somewhere between two and three.

The black line represents the silhouette of the body, blue is the diaper and red is the elastics. The elastics play an important roll in the creation of the air gap represented in... umm... we'll just call it cyan. They add to the bunching and folding of the padding that pushes it away form the skin. This is a bit exaggerated of course likely because this diaper was a bit on the big side for this particular wearer but leads to the next part.

This modification I did of a BetterDry is borne from a size medium. The wings are still the same width as they were when it came out of the package.
s9-jpg.72028
s10-jpg.72029

As you can see I'm pushing the limits of the diaper for a proper fit and my waist is only 32 inches (81cm) and my hips are 36 (91cm). Being an actual size medium adult this diaper should be just a bit bigger than it is. I would put this one between a small and medium leaning more towards small.

Based on size charts for kids, current diaper sizes for babies and toddlers, adult size charts and proper fit as described above I see a size chart looking something like this:
1 to 6 M6 to 12 M12 to 24 M2T - 3T3T - 4T4T - 5T (4/5 XS)6 - 6X (S)7-8 (M)10 - 12 (L)14 - 16 (XL)
Adult XS

SMLXLXXLXXXL
You don't really need to tell me all this, both you and I have similar ideas on how those would and should fit for adults. I've done the same measurements you did a super long time ago and both of us had similar results. I also constantly advocate for us to not fully settle on the abdl products we have(i like what we have and appreciate it, but still dont want to stall and never see true 1 to 1). I want a 1 to 1 copy or as close to a baby diaper as possible. We came this far so why stop now.

I think your just not taking into account that these companies are;

1) stretching their machines to their limits because they dont want to dedicate and or retool another machine for this.

2) companies around size 8 and above start worrying about being discreet. If you took that out of the equation, you would see a decent chunk of products gain length. Adults included. They just are going off whatever uses the least amount of materials while still doing the job.

I still feel your shifted to high on that list. As someone who wears smalls and can wear xs, I do not feel your list is correct. I don't disagree with what you've posted, I feel your just looking at it weirdly.

I still do not think companies see the segment of size 8-adult small as a valuable endeavor. If they did size small wouldn't be as lacking in both medical and abdl diapers. Therefore they are not going to dedicate any single machine to be tooled for it. Only one that I felt would do it was boundless but that's yet to fully be seen until they or if they come back. I just pray they don't succumb to following under pampers shoes and just goes off feedback they got.

I'm hoping these new sizes coming out changes companies minds to start releasing more sizes, but I'm not banking on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joediaper and PadPhilosopher
Joediaper said:

s9-jpg.72028
s10-jpg.72029

Adult XS

SMLXLXXLXXXL

Did you modify the back by removing the extra padding in the wings? I love that look way more than the hourglass shape.

Joediaper said:

s9-jpg.72028
s10-jpg.72029

Adult XS

SMLXLXXLXXXL
You're correct that a gap is a big part of the fit on kids' diapers, but there are reasons that those disappear on adult's diapers. That extra material would make them more obvious under clothing; a feature to some, but a drawback to most. On top of that, there is more material already, allowing more movement without the gap present, on the basis that there is more stretch and shift available. While the gap presents some benefit even in the adult sizes, I don't think you're going to see it become common outside possibly AB diapers.

Back