How to make diapers affordable?

Diaperman95 said:
I only really used them at night every now and again. I think Birdseye was the ones I was buying but they feel wet after going only once. I know they will hold much more but the top layer is wet and against the skin, and quality disposables diapers like NS, Total dry or in-control pull it deep inside. Total Dry is what I went too when I left Abiena and dry 24/7 for issues of clumping and falling apart. They are plastic back and I would say absorbency and fit is much like a meg max. Total Dry they was hard time getting product to me before Covid so I went back to mega maxt. No matter what you do buying in bulk is always the best deal., that at the time I had only.

Those little items add up too, Especially if forced to deal with fecal IC

Cloth is good but lets be real half the time we have a pile of clothes in the the laundry room floor. If I can't get her to make sure I have clean socks I could only imagine this would not be good & the smell the house could get! 😂
Are you able to pitch in with the laundry? As you've said, cloth saves money long-term. I wouldn't really mind using cloth at home, personally, but I've discussed it with my wife and she'd rather we don't have to worry about the extra laundry and diaper pail and such. Plus, if out of the house it's good to have tried-and-true disposable resources all figured out.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95 and Edgewater
AttilaThePun said:
Alternatively, win the lottery! 😁
or find a rich mummy or daddy 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, JustMe and AttilaThePun
AttilaThePun said:
Are you able to pitch in with the laundry? As you've said, cloth saves money long-term. I wouldn't really mind using cloth at home, personally, but I've discussed it with my wife and she'd rather we don't have to worry about the extra laundry and diaper pail and such. Plus, if out of the house it's good to have tried-and-true disposable resources all figured out.
I help some. It is not quite a bad as I say, but we both hate folding clothes. I made her a deal a long time ago I would take care of the yard if she would fold clothes.. She has mowed once and never weedeated. Lol The rest the stuff like trash and dishes and such now that I have retired I help out a lot too. But I hat folding clothes.

I have used some prefold several times in the past but I always feel like my skin feels wet before they are full and I am more apt to get irritation. Some disposables I feel the same about it too. Better dry I love the feel when dry but once wet I hate them. I worn then one week and it was the first rash I had in years. But If price keep rising I might have to do something different.... All diapers are over priced along with everything else thanks to stupidity in our economy. (I got people I would name but I am trying to avoid getting moderated or banned. Lol

For the people using cloth.. do you prefer a folded diaper and pants or a fitted ready to go all in one?

Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
Diaperman95 said:
I help some. It is not quite a bad as I say, but we both hate folding clothes. I made her a deal a long time ago I would take care of the yard if she would fold clothes.. She has mowed once and never weedeated. Lol The rest the stuff like trash and dishes and such now that I have retired I help out a lot too. But I hat folding clothes.

I have used some prefold several times in the past but I always feel like my skin feels wet before they are full and I am more apt to get irritation. Some disposables I feel the same about it too. Better dry I love the feel when dry but once wet I hate them. I worn then one week and it was the first rash I had in years. But If price keep rising I might have to do something different.... All diapers are over priced along with everything else thanks to stupidity in our economy. (I got people I would name but I am trying to avoid getting moderated or banned. Lol

For the people using cloth.. do you prefer a folded diaper and pants or a fitted ready to go all in one?
I hear you on the Better Dry diapers. I bought a bag to try because I'd read a lot of praise for them, though also a lot of negative opinions about them presumably having changed for the worse. I like Abena Abri-Form Comfort level 4 better, but I’ll use the Better Dry diapers until they're gone so as not to have wasted the money.

I have an easier time folding clothes when I first pull them out of the dryer. Once they're sitting unfolded in a basket or a pile, I also hate folding clothes. Putting the pile on the bed so I *have to* fold them or I won't be able to lie down is a strong motivator, but I still hate it. 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
Actually I do sign up for the 5% off. I buy my diapers from places where I can earn money for making purchases on the web site. I even search that web from time to time to see if there are coupons out there that I can apply.
I so want to try cloth. I have one big problem with that and it is a job that I am away from home for at least 12 hours a day. A cloth diaper is not going to make it that long before needing a change. Therefore at this point not practical.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
Diaperman95 said:

I prefer the pre-folded over contoured cloth diapers because of the lack of material in the crotch with contoured. The contoured are great for photo shots and/or light use, but suck when one needs the volume. It is all based on the effect of gravity and anytime one stands the flood moves to the crotch.

The feeling wet is a reality with cloth diapers. Hence the belief that cloth diapers aided in potty training where disposables limited the help. Remember when they added the 'wet' stripes to baby disposable diapers.

There is no question that government has caused the inflation and continues too.

I’d recommend checking out Black Friday deals. Did what I did last year and did a massive order and saved around £10 a case. Still have some I got last year left over. The one downside is you need the space to be able to store them. I do like just doing a massive order and forgetting about it for ages though.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
I
Edgewater said:
I prefer the pre-folded over contoured cloth diapers because of the lack of material in the crotch with contoured. The contoured are great for photo shots and/or light use, but suck when one needs the volume. It is all based on the effect of gravity and anytime one stands the flood moves to the crotch.

The feeling wet is a reality with cloth diapers. Hence the belief that cloth diapers aided in potty training where disposables limited the help. Remember when they added the 'wet' stripes to baby disposable diapers.

There is no question that government has caused the inflation and continues too.
I am old enough to remember the wet indicators. I remember when diapers did not have the leek guards too. about 30 years diapered now. I have tried Pre folds a few times in the past but the wet felling gets me. I have found some amazing disposable boosters by Seni. They are large thirsty and cheap. Like $0.60 each on Amazon buying by the bag. Funny thing for people who deny our economy problems, two months ago they cost me $.052 each. Anyway my point is I might try a couple prefolds at night and put one of those in it just to keep the wet off my sensitive parts. It is just a lot of work. Lol

If you have not tried their boosters they are a large contour hour shape but I found the best method for a man, I put them on longer side t the front I leave the back wings in so they do not get out side my leak guards. Then I open the others in front and lay my little guy down and fold the wings over him on each side and then fold the very top end over the top basically wrapping him up on 3 sides and then pull the diaper to hold everything between the leak guards. It stops any and almost all leaks laying on your side. I started doing it about 6 months ago and I now use one every night with mega max. I can get in bed at ten and sleep until noon if I want. If I was not so shy I would make a video but I think people try it then it they can figure it out. Maybe I should do a thread and explain it to everyone.

• Love
Reactions: sledder23, Edgewater and AttilaThePun
Diaperman95 said:
I

I am old enough to remember the wet indicators. I remember when diapers did not have the leek guards too. about 30 years diapered now. I have tried Pre folds a few times in the past but the wet felling gets me. I have found some amazing disposable boosters by Seni. They are large thirsty and cheap. Like $0.60 each on Amazon buying by the bag. Funny thing for people who deny our economy problems, two months ago they cost me $.052 each. Anyway my point is I might try a couple prefolds at night and put one of those in it just to keep the wet off my sensitive parts. It is just a lot of work. Lol

If you have not tried their boosters they are a large contour hour shape but I found the best method for a man, I put them on longer side t the front I leave the back wings in so they do not get out side my leak guards. Then I open the others in front and lay my little guy down and fold the wings over him on each side and then fold the very top end over the top basically wrapping him up on 3 sides and then pull the diaper to hold everything between the leak guards. It stops any and almost all leaks laying on your side. I started doing it about 6 months ago and I now use one every night with mega max. I can get in bed at ten and sleep until noon if I want. If I was not so shy I would make a video but I think people try it then it they can figure it out. Maybe I should do a thread and explain it to everyone.
Just lay a megamax out on a table and use a banana or cucumber to demonstrate your booster-wrap technique! No actual nudity required! "Where to put your kiwis" is optional advice. 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, Diaperman95 and Woncrinklz
AttilaThePun said:
Just lay a megamax out on a table and use a banana or cucumber to demonstrate your booster-wrap technique! No actual nudity required! "Where to put your kiwis" is optional advice. 😁
I might do that some time because it helps a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, AttilaThePun and lilshelly
Cloth diapers saves money......useing a drying rack before the dryer is great

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
Diaperman95 said:
I might do that some time because it helps a lot.
Yaaa, but some will still complain because the MEGAMAX is expensive.

It never made any sense to me until I figured they were wearing for a want not a need.

As you have covered, extended wear requires assured placement of the diaper and yourself within it.

A premium diaper provides the features that allows one to safely obtain that extended requirement.

Megamax is just plain old overpriced.

XP5000 is pretty much the same capacity as I recall, drastically cheaper, and doesn't require scissors to undo the tapes.

• Thinking
Bearcatz said:
Megamax is just plain old overpriced.

XP5000 is pretty much the same capacity as I recall, drastically cheaper, and doesn't require scissors to undo the tapes.
That's why I wear them and enjoy their day-in, day-out quality!
Worth every penny of additional, not overpriced cost.

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: Diaperman95 and AttilaThePun
Edgewater said:
That's why I wear them and enjoy their day-in, day-out quality!
Worth every penny of additional, not overpriced cost.
I mean, you can believe whatever you want, but they're overpriced.

Since the thread is about "How to make diapers affordable?", shop around for a deal on Abena M4's, put a dish towel in it, and ta dah!... you've got better than Megamax absorbency for less than half the price.

• Thinking
Bearcatz said:
I mean, you can believe whatever you want, but they're overpriced.

Since the thread is about "How to make diapers affordable?", shop around for a deal on Abena M4's, put a dish towel in it, and ta dah!... you've got better than Megamax absorbency for less than half the price.
Living as incontinent and a ABDL makes a big difference in this. I need to know without a doubt every time I am covered. Even people that are going 24/7 can decide to hold it if they think the diaper will not take more. Edgewater and I do not have that option. Abena clumps and falls apart as well as loosens and falls down when real wet. I know I worn the 5 years or more. They was a great diaper of their time far better than Depends and Attends I started with. Hell when I started Depends was green and had zero leak guards. Mega max stay up tight no matter what I do & I never need to adjust a tape and I can go much more places longer and not need to change in a public bathroom most days. Then If I do I need not worry about carrying a dirty wet dish rag home. As someone that has been incontinent 30 years. I have seen diapers develop from the pure shit we had to change every few hours to products I can change only 2 times a day 3 at most. Mega max also does the best job of drawing the moister away from my skin where a dishrag or cloth diaper feels wet and I do not like that and my skin does not like it. Better Dry feels wet on my skin after a couple small wettings to. Plus the Landing strip and tapes are one of my features I will never give up on any diaper and when you consider all of that 3 bucks each is not that bad. Besides Abeina has went up stupid in price too. I use to buy a case of 36 for $54 now they are $78 on Amazon. That is jut over 2 bucks a diaper. 3 to most likely 4 or more abeina's a day I would need is 6 to 8 bucks a day or more and Mega max is 6 to 9 bucks a day so I see no real difference and what little their might be is not a concern when I consider the security and the time and the places I have extra to change a day. Ever since going to mega max 5 or 6 years ago I have had maybe one rash and I am staying in the diapers up to 4 to 6 times longer.

I am also referring to buying in bulk and not by the bag as anyone truly dependent on diaper will do.. Not saying what works for you is wrong for you but those of us that have lived without control a long time and been forced to use lesser inadequate products really do appreciate a fine diaper. Much like air-conditioning... We can all live without it but after experiencing it who is going to if they can afford it.

Just the perspective of a old Incontinent man!

• Love
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Edgewater and CptKirk
Diaperman95 said:
Just the perspective of a old Incontinent man!
D-man, you know I <3 you, but not having a specific tag on my account is a crappy counter point to an opinion you guys don't like :p

If the question is about affordability, capacity is the lion's share of the real question. XP5000 goes further than Megamax for your money, or basically any other lower-mid range diaper with a decent booster. If Megamax is your guys' favorite, that's nice, but it wasn't the question.

• Thinking
lilshelly said:
I am currently looking for a diaper that works as good as a betterdry used to. I am not really having problems with it leaking. I am having issues with the fluff or whatever you want to call it falling down in the diaper. Now I know that Northshore are good but even buying them in bulk really doesn't make much of a difference in price. $3.00 a diaper is a bit much any ideas tips tricks?
Have you tried calling your supplier and telling them about how many issues you had with this batch of Betterdry? MOST are really good working with you to resolve these issues. IF you bought from LLMedico or Northshore, I know they'll likely do something, so long as it was a relatively recent purchase and not months ago.

CptKirk

PS...Betterdry may have had a bad batch...it happens. HOPEFULLY they'll resolve this with the next batch. Would be a SHAME to see such a quality diaper turn to shit!

CptKirk

Bearcatz said:
D-man, you know I <3 you, but not having a specific tag on my account is a crappy counter point to an opinion you guys don't like :p

If the question is about affordability, capacity is the lion's share of the real question. XP5000 goes further than Megamax for your money, or basically any other lower-mid range diaper with a decent booster. If Megamax is your guys' favorite, that's nice, but it wasn't the question.
I have tried xp5000 love them but they don't fit my body properly.

Reactions: Diaperman95 and AttilaThePun
Bearcatz said:

Well, Bearcatz, we have had this discussion before. Hence, there is known history. That all said, regarding the needs of the OP and a need to reduce costs. Regardless of one's opinion, using fewer does reduce costs. Especially when one knows that the diaper will meet /exceed expectations is important, Also, as so well stated and whether we like it or not, there is a huge difference between those who have to wear and those who choose to wear. Your statement: "but not having a specific tag on my account is a crappy counter point to an opinion you guys don't like". We do not use this difference as a counter-point, we state it to clarify a defining difference /reality.

2022 and 2023 have been bell-weather years as the cost of diapers has risen and there is little indication that will not continue to be the case in 2024. Shortages and quality issues have also been serious problems. There will be evermore issues in 2024 as China vs. the Free World becomes an ever greater issue.

I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants during the day and as a result change more frequently. I also add a liner to them to limit the feeling of wetness. That is something that my Northshore product already has.

Reactions: lilshelly and AttilaThePun
Back