How to make diapers affordable?

Edgewater said:
Regardless of one's opinion, using fewer does reduce costs.
By that logic, if I used 3 or 4 (x $2.75) megamax a day, I'd somehow be spending less than if I used 4 or 5 M4's (x ~ $1.20)? Sorry, I didn't become a millionaire taking advice like that.

Edgewater said:
Also, as so well stated and whether we like it or not, there is a huge difference between those who have to wear and those who choose to wear. Your statement: "but not having a specific tag on my account is a crappy counter point to an opinion you guys don't like". We do not use this difference as a counter-point, we state it to clarify a defining difference /reality.
I'll add it if that makes you feel better lol. But that sounds kind of childish doesn't it? No, that statement is just prejudice. If you think someone who wears and uses diapers 24/7 for whatever reason can't give someone else an informed opinion, you're just wrong and your reasoning is ghost hunting at best. You're not the first to make such an absurd statement, and you won't be the last. I'll give you one piece of friendly advice, though... assuming what I or anyone else knows or has been through based on a label on the internet is a pretty toxic mindset and not a "voice of reason". Instead, perhaps ask how, why and under what circumstances such an opinion was formed.

Like I said before, if you like Megamax, good for you. It's overall a good product, but not the gold standard of anything, certainly not price.

• Sad
  • Thinking
Reactions: lilshelly, AttilaThePun and Edgewater
Bearcatz said:
By that logic, if I used 3 or 4 (x $2.75) megamax a day, I'd somehow be spending less than if I used 4 or 5 M4's (x ~ $1.20)? Sorry, I didn't become a millionaire taking advice like that.

I'll add it if that makes you feel better lol. But that sounds kind of childish doesn't it? No, that statement is just prejudice. If you think someone who wears and uses diapers 24/7 for whatever reason can't give someone else an informed opinion, you're just wrong and your reasoning is ghost hunting at best. You're not the first to make such an absurd statement, and you won't be the last. I'll give you one piece of friendly advice, though... assuming what I or anyone else knows or has been through based on a label on the internet is a pretty toxic mindset and not a "voice of reason". Instead, perhaps ask how, why and under what circumstances such an opinion was formed.

Like I said before, if you like Megamax, good for you. It's overall a good product, but not the gold standard of anything, certainly not price.
Sorry not buying your historical need to flame and spam! Bye!!!
Oh, thanks for lowering the price!

Last edited:
Bearcatz said:
D-man, you know I <3 you, but not having a specific tag on my account is a crappy counter point to an opinion you guys don't like :p

If the question is about affordability, capacity is the lion's share of the real question. XP5000 goes further than Megamax for your money, or basically any other lower-mid range diaper with a decent booster. If Megamax is your guys' favorite, that's nice, but it wasn't the question.
Respectfully, affordability is more complex than price per diaper. If you buy less expensive diapers but must use more of them per 24-hour day, it's false economy. If you buy more expensive diapers but use fewer of them per 24-hour day, it can actually be cheaper on a daily basis than using many more of the less expensive product.

I'm not sure whether you have some axe to grind about North Shore generally, or Mega Max in particular. I don’t wear them, but I might try them sometime in the future. I do have urinary incontinence, so if what I'm currently using becomes ineffective or financially impractical per 24-hour day, I'll likely consider them a candidate for improved management through reduced quantity of product used daily.

And, for what it's worth, there seems often to be difficulty keeping XP5000 in stock. A merchant can't sell and a customer can't buy if it's not available.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilshelly and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
Sorry not buying your historical need to flame and spam! Bye!!!
Just doing my part. You seem to have some kind of irrational problem with AB/DL's in general, which I honestly don't understand. If you want to judge people based on labels, you're more than welcome to, but I'd rather have productive discussions with people different than me. Hell, I still will with you despite how rude I believe you've been to me. Let's start over.

Lets forget about price for now, why is Megamax your favorite? Outside of price, M4 is still my overall favorite because it fits me like a glove and even though they've cheapened up over the years, they still reliably keep the bed dry without "kinking my plumbing" nearly as often as chinese made diapers tend to.

AttilaThePun said:
I'm not sure whether you have some axe to grind about North Shore generally, or Mega Max in particular.
I do somewhat. For Megamax specifically, neither the small nor medium fit me the greatest to start with. I've had several bad batches that had horrible plastic backing, varying absorbency, and tapes that detached randomly. I'm sure I could have returned stuff, but I just reached the point of being done with it. Recently, I finally measured how much they actually held vs diapers about half their cost and there wasn't a big enough difference to justify the price.

I love Adam and what he's doing, but his products are a little too expensive. I used to use the Supreme for my night diaper, but again the fit just wasn't quite right and it was a pain in the ass to have to fluff every diaper to really get the most mileage out of it. M4 + booster is cheaper and fit me better. I really wished the Supreme lites would have been more affordable, but they were less absorbent than M4's at still a drastically higher price. I want reasons to give Adam and Northshore my money, but I can't justify the cost of anything they sell anymore.

• Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun
Bearcatz said:
Just doing my part. You seem to have some kind of irrational problem with AB/DL's in general, which I honestly don't understand. If you want to judge people based on labels, you're more than welcome to, but I'd rather have productive discussions with people different than me. Hell, I still will with you despite how rude I believe you've been to me. Let's start over.

Lets forget about price for now, why is Megamax your favorite? Outside of price, M4 is still my overall favorite because it fits me like a glove and even though they've cheapened up over the years, they still reliably keep the bed dry without "kinking my plumbing" nearly as often as chinese made diapers tend to.

I do somewhat. For Megamax specifically, neither the small nor medium fit me the greatest to start with. I've had several bad batches that had horrible plastic backing, varying absorbency, and tapes that detached randomly. I'm sure I could have returned stuff, but I just reached the point of being done with it. Recently, I finally measured how much they actually held vs diapers about half their cost and there wasn't a big enough difference to justify the price.

I love Adam and what he's doing, but his products are a little too expensive. I used to use the Supreme for my night diaper, but again the fit just wasn't quite right and it was a pain in the ass to have to fluff every diaper to really get the most mileage out of it. M4 + booster is cheaper and fit me better. I really wished the Supreme lites would have been more affordable, but they were less absorbent than M4's at still a drastically higher price. I want reasons to give Adam and Northshore my money, but I can't justify the cost of anything they sell anymore.
Thanks for the info! Do you mind sharing what booster you use in your M4?

I agree re the price of Megamax - in the UK it's £89.99 for 40, whereas comparable products like the Tykables Tighty Whities (i.e. plain ones) are £78.95 for 40 and the NRU Str8ups (plain, high absorbency products) are £76.99 for 40 so there's a big markup on the Megamax. Absorbency and build quality they seem to be comparable to those ones. I don't know if they're pricier in the UK due to importing but they are significantly more expensive than the competition.

I agree re the economics of stuff being more than just cost per nappy but I don't think I'd get fewer Megamax products than other comparable ones.

In terms of cost if people are using pull ups, something that worked for me pre my issues getting worse (although I'm trialling them again around the house after starting medication) was getting DryNites as they work out much cheaper than adult pull ups. I switched to Depend Night Defence for a bit ages ago before my issues worsened as I felt silly still wearing DryNites but not only were they pricier but they were way less absorbent and the padding wouldn't stay together. Was shocked that a pricier adult product was actually inferior. Hoping that they'll be enough for round the house now I'm on meds as it'll save me a fortune. Sadly I still need taped products for overnight and when out the house and indeed I've still had days where I've had to be fully protected at home all day. I'm finding the medication frustratingly inconsistent re continence.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
Bearcatz said:
D-man, you know I <3 you, but not having a specific tag on my account is a crappy counter point to an opinion you guys don't like :p

If the question is about affordability, capacity is the lion's share of the real question. XP5000 goes further than Megamax for your money, or basically any other lower-mid range diaper with a decent booster. If Megamax is your guys' favorite, that's nice, but it wasn't the question.
I did not mean it in an offensive way. But my point is still meant. I will admit I have not tried beyond 5000 and only because the tapes you hate I love. The diaper staying on tight and in place and never needing retightened is a big deal when you truly depend on it. I have tried some from rearz with plastic back and hook and loop and though they was better than diapers with second chance tape and I could adjust them multiple times I found I needed to do so. The fit and the tapes and landing is one of the features I love most. .If the diaper is not snug and tight at the moment of use it can and will leak. I try to be a very active person when I feel good.

I hope you know I meant know disrespect and I 100% am glad you found a diaper that works so great for you. I will say as a former XP-Medical customer that they are a great company as well and have good customer service. I do love the fact NorthShore does free samples though. But again that has nothing to do with what is the best diaper for cost but customer support means a Lot to me..

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
AttilaThePun said:
Thanks for the info! Do you mind sharing what booster you use in your M4?
Yea, I'm trying the biggest tranquility's at the moment. I actually kind of like the middle-er size (I forget which I used last) a bit better, though. They'll feel wet when they're really wet, but I personally like that because it's a fairly reliable indicator that I'll need to change soon.

Around the house though, I've used everything from towels to pillow cases as boosters just experimenting. The best free combo I've found is worn out socks folded into long dish towels. Socks are basically diapers for your feet, and they actually work decently for wicking I think anyway. I can usually be visibly wet mostly up the front and back before needing to change. "Around the house" is usually sitting in a pretty upright chair, going up and down stairs and just otherwise walking around. Not really any bending or laying down usually.

Honestly, another decent booster for any diaper is... an M4 lol. I don't know what's so different about their fluff vs typical chinese diapers, but they wick well and if you punch about 1000 holes in the backing along the middle, they flow through very well to an outer diaper layer. With enough little pin holes, they won't puke sap out into the other diaper, but you can get basically the entire capacity of it also.

Diaperman95 said:
I'll message you back. One thing I'll say here though, there's no reason to let petty differences create a divide between AB/DL's and IC folk. In reality, there's probably no one else that, if not understands every little detail, at least for the most part gets where each other's coming from in terms of just living a life in diapers. But, I'm not scared to call foul on anyone I think is disrespecting either. This should be a haven for anyone who wears a diaper for pretty much whatever their reasoning.

InconLifer said:
I agree re the price of Megamax - in the UK it's £89.99 for 40, whereas comparable products like the Tykables Tighty Whities (i.e. plain ones) are £78.95 for 40 and the NRU Str8ups (plain, high absorbency products) are £76.99 for 40 so there's a big markup on the Megamax. Absorbency and build quality they seem to be comparable to those ones. I don't know if they're pricier in the UK due to importing but they are significantly more expensive than the competition.

I agree re the economics of stuff being more than just cost per nappy but I don't think I'd get fewer Megamax products than other comparable ones.

In terms of cost if people are using pull ups, something that worked for me pre my issues getting worse (although I'm trialling them again around the house after starting medication) was getting DryNites as they work out much cheaper than adult pull ups. I switched to Depend Night Defence for a bit ages ago before my issues worsened as I felt silly still wearing DryNites but not only were they pricier but they were way less absorbent and the padding wouldn't stay together. Was shocked that a pricier adult product was actually inferior. Hoping that they'll be enough for round the house now I'm on meds as it'll save me a fortune. Sadly I still need taped products for overnight and when out the house and indeed I've still had days where I've had to be fully protected at home all day. I'm finding the medication frustratingly inconsistent re continence.
The huge price difference is the import tax that your government extracts as the product enters Britain. Add the other taxes and the scale just gets heavier. Sorry that the user is faced with that kind of Value Added Tax as well.

Reactions: InconLifer and AttilaThePun
Elections have consequences. When people elect politicians who are fiscally irresponsible, those politicians create hard times for all. I don’t care if you’re Right, Left, American, Canadian, European, or whatever continent you call home or political affiliation you identify with. Reckless fiscal policies will make life miserable…diapers, food, natural resources, utilities… all inflated triple digit percentages in the last 10 years. The sad part is that we’re at the tip of this iceberg. The part under the surface is what’s spooky.

Making diapers more affordable starts with balanced budgets…globally. I don’t often get on a soap box, but this one was unavoidable tonight. Thanks for listening and sorry for those who are struggling with costs. I sincerely hope the crooked government officials get what they have coming to them and that we get back to responsible government policies that protect our economies, communities and families.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
sledder23 said:
The sad part is that we’re at the tip of this iceberg. The part under the surface is what’s spooky.
For sure. I'm several times more well off than other people my age, but the next 10 years look like a really unbelievable economic disaster at this rate. Like, it won't be weird to think that $600 a case of shitty diapers is cheap in a decade.

Every cent you can save on diapers now and put into gold or something similar is a really good idea at the moment I'm thinking :p

Just saw a bag of Attends briefs for $4 at my local thrift store. Also they had the plastic backed Depend briefs for $4. I find briefs (taped) cheaper than the pullups I wear. Might be the way to go.

Last edited:
I as the op will let everyone know that I do have to wear. I still have to watch what I spend. I don't have any help from insurance to help pay.
I need to have a urodynamics test ran but insurance wants me to pay for 4k before I can have the test and I would have to pay what they don't cover after that.

• Wow
AUG168 said:
Just saw a bag of Attends briefs for $4 at my local thrift store. Also they had the plastic backed Depend briefs for $4. I find briefs (taped) cheaper than the pullups I wear. Might be the way to go.
Before you fully commit, you will want to trial them first, I recently trialed Attends briefs and found them a tiny bit better that sitting in a bowl of urine as the absorbent material keeps the urine along the surface. One never feels dry.

• Haha
Reactions: AUG168 and AttilaThePun
Edgewater said:
Before you fully commit, you will want to trial them first, I recently trialed Attends briefs and found them a tiny bit better that sitting in a bowl of urine as the absorbent material keeps the urine along the surface. One never feels dry.
Love your phrasing in this!

Also, thanks for your assessment of the Attends, I had considered trying them.

Reactions: Edgewater
Back