Having once been continent

Kaliborio

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
There are a lot of posts in this forum from two large and valid groups of people, namely:
  1. people who are starting to experience increasing continence difficulty
  2. people who have been incontinent since a very young age and who don't know anything else
I am wondering how many people here were once continent — that is, people who were able to achieve functionally complete continence, leave diapers, etc., but eventually developed sufficiently severe continence issues that they needed to start using significant protection again, and have been doing so for a significant amount of time, say 10+ years. How has that been for you? What do you think your relationship to continence is like? Are you actively pursuing trying to return to using little to no protection?

This thread was prompted by thinking about my own experience with continence. I'm 28 this year. I did originally achieve continence, but between toilet training very late, semi-voluntarily returning to diapers just before I turned 18, and intermittent difficulty retaining continence in the interim, I think the aggregate amount of time I spent functionally continent was somewhere in the 7-to-8-year area. For comparison, I have now been in diapers continuously for about 10 years and have had continence issues that precluded (at least some aspects of) using the toilet for at least 9 of those, so I have been incontinent continuously for longer than the total time I was continent.

I feel like I have a weird relationship to continence certainly for someone who was once continent, but even among people who are currently incontinent. I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Reactions: Diprs2, Haveagr8life, Fleetwoodmac32192 and 6 others
Kaliborio said:
There are a lot of posts in this forum from two large and valid groups of people, namely:
  1. people who are starting to experience increasing continence difficulty
  2. people who have been incontinent since a very young age and who don't know anything else
I am wondering how many people here were once continent — that is, people who were able to achieve functionally complete continence, leave diapers, etc., but eventually developed sufficiently severe continence issues that they needed to start using significant protection again, and have been doing so for a significant amount of time, say 10+ years. How has that been for you? What do you think your relationship to continence is like? Are you actively pursuing trying to return to using little to no protection?
I'm in your #1 group.

Based upon your "significant amount of time, say 10+ years", I don't really qualify. But I have been continent all my life since 3 yrs old, but starting about 2 yrs ago was experiencing and diagnosed urinary incontinent. The doc's conclusion was that it was due to elevated glucose levels over the course of about 20 years causing nerve damage.
Are you actively pursuing trying to return to using little to no protection?
No. Until there is a cure for nerve damage, I don't think there is any point in trying. As I understand it, this is my lot now for the rest of my life.

I still have limited control in the day time and wear pull-ups for accident prevention (and embarrassment prevention). Most of the time I use the toilet without issues (except for the odd accident like suddenly peeing myself when I used a garden hose to refresh the birdbath). But when I go shopping or otherwise leave the house, I need to be protected, especially when the bowels are threatening.
What do you think your relationship to continence is like?
I'm trying to maintain what control I do have. But at the same time, I am slowly accepting that "I wear diapers" now.

I don't make a big deal about it with my family/publicly but do struggle privately with it. If it weren't for the stigma, there would be considerably less "struggle" involved.

Reactions: Diprs2, Pino and ChrisK
I was a bedwetter as a child I also had soiling issues past my bedwetting years which created some diaper interest but only to help control the situation I would never consider anything of my interest DL and certainly nothing AB but about 30 years I was in a bad car crash and been incontinent since

Reactions: Diprs2
Hi Kaliborio

I'm in the same boat as you - was fully continent from the age of 3 but then had to start wearing protection as a teenager, as I slowly lost control of my bladder due to nerve damage caused by a chronic illness. As it worsened, I switched to wearing taped diapers 24/7 which I've now worn my whole adult life. My bowel control is generally good, but accidents happen - on average once every 1-2 months.

I do try and use a toilet when possible but mobility difficulties caused by the same illness also mean I have to use my diapers more often than if I had the same condition but could walk unaided.

If you add in the time I was in diapers as a baby, I've now been in diapers for longer than out of them now. I didn't choose this lifestyle but I try to make the best of it - at least they're comfy to wear. Being DL has been a helpful coping mechanism, although I don't find it that sexual.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Reactions: Diprs2 and ChrisK
I was fully continent by late elementary school age after initial toilet training by age 4, but in my late 20's as a person with Mild spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and Autism, it went backwards and I went into diapers.
I have been in diapers far longer than in regular "Big Boy Underpants".

Was fully continent since potty training age. began experiencing bladder issues in my late thirties “OAB” which slowly progress to OAB wet, resulting in me now wearing diapers to handle accidents.
although I’m in diapers now literally 24/7, I still practice timed voidings to try and reduce diaper usage as best I can, when out and at work.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
All my life I have what I suppose would be described as a weak bladder. But for many years I was reasonably dry day and night with just periodic bouts of bedwetting and occasional daytime accidents. Growing up I was a chronic nightly wetter and often wet my self during the day until I was nearly 11 years old.
My bedwetting finally subsided in my 20s and I was reasonably dry at night with just periodic bouts of bedwetting until my late 30s. Then after a long dry spel of almost 10 years my bedwetting came back shortly followed by daytime wetting problems.
This is caused by diabetic related nerve damage. Meaning I really struggle to control my bladder during the day and have no control once asleep.
I have become DL as way of coping and wear nappies 24/7.

Reactions: Diprs2 and ChrisK
I've always been a bedwetter - not a single night in my life was without diapers.
I lost my daytime continence when I was 14... so at least I know the feeling ;)

I have been incontinent since middle school. It was not near as bad as now and a lot worse at night. Then I started wearing tab type diapers in my early 20s Then a few years I fought like hell to get dry or at least during the day. Timed voiding and emptying complete with intermitting catheters had me down to using lighter shape pads and underwear for several years and diapers at night. We did not have pull ups back then, but shape pads was still for light to moderate. But The interstitial cystitis got worse and worse as well as my back. I even had a bladder stimulator placed. After the multiple infections from that bad Idea jut about killed me. I then had it removed 6 moths later then my IC had me peeing every 10 min. I just give in and accepted diapers in full. I started driving truck OTR about the same time and you cant make money stopping every 15min when my bladder spasms so I went all in. My control quickly got worse to where in a year or so it became non existent. I eventually threw away all my underwear and no looking back. I am not sad about except at at all, except maybe the fist of the month when North shore takes 200 bucks from me.😥 But they have great product and well made

I have been incontinent since middle school. It was not near as bad as now and a lot worse at night. Then I started wearing tab type diapers in my early 20s Then a few years I fought like hell to get dry or at least during the day. Timed voiding and emptying complete with intermitting catheters had me down to using lighter shape pads and underwear for several years and diapers at night. We did not have pull ups back then, but shape pads was still for light to moderate. But The interstitial cystitis got worse and worse as well as my back. I even had a bladder stimulator placed. After the multiple infections from that bad Idea jut about killed me. I then had it removed 6 moths later then my IC had me peeing every 10 min. I just give in and accepted diapers in full I started driving truck OTR about the same time and you cant make money stopping every 15min when my bladder spasms so I went all in. My control quickly got worse to where in a year or so it became non existent. I eventually threw away all my underwear and no looking back. I am not sad about except at at all, except maybe the fist of the month when North shore takes 200 bucks from me.😥 But they have great product,

IM closing in in 8 years of being diapered 24/7 and im ok with needing diapers for the rest of my life as my control is long gone and I refuse to mess with meds to try reduce or stop my bladder and now some times bowel issues The side effects are just not worth the risk.

Reactions: Diprs2 and joemama
Rob110 said:
IM closing in in 8 years of being diapered 24/7 and im ok with needing diapers for the rest of my life as my control is long gone and I refuse to mess with meds to try reduce or stop my bladder and now some times bowel issues The side effects are just not worth the risk.
Almost 10 years now being in nappies 24/7. I won't take meds either. Side effects are worse than wet nappies.

Reactions: Diprs2, TheWetOne, joemama and 1 other person
I've often wondered what it's like to not have to rely on nappies. I tried to get out of them for a while, but I've accepted now that I'll never be continent.

For a while, I tried using thinner pull-up nappies when it seemed like I wasn't wetting as heavily, but they leaked too often to keep using them.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be continent. I've always been IC. Toilet training was tried by my mother. Very frustrating.
For my mom and myself. I'm in my early 30's and sometimes I wonder about what it might be like if I wasn't diaper dependent.

Rob110 said:
Yeah I take enough drugs it’s just not worth it

Me? Never a dry night until I was 12 then ‘unreliable’ through boarding school and after. I think I had a dry period from about 20 to 30, then the unreliable bit returned gradually to 24/7 needing nappies. I was pretty broke at that time and I started making my own terry nappies as they were a lot cheaper than the poor quality disposables that were available at the time. I was far too embarrassed to see a doctor about the incontinence, also I was working as an assistant to a fashion photographer in London and travelling a lot. There has always been an element of ABDL in my continence so it must have been ‘pain and pleasure’ all rolled into one. Now I’m in my early 70s and comfortable with my needs, and the nappies are better quality and cuter!!!

Fully continent until my 40s here. Continence is good and should be kept as long a possible. I would welcome returning to continence, seriously, I’m just not successful doing so with my urologist at this time.

Reactions: Diprs2, Pino and AUG168
Was a bed wetter till age 12 then a DL till age 55 then was hit with a number of autoimmune disorders like small fiber neuropathy that caused nerve damage.
I am in diapers for the rest of my life and plan to enjoy them

In no1 been fully continent for 44 years but last year urgency as increasing in the mornings and night time wettings
Now 24/7 for my sanity sakes

I feel like I'm borderline. I have BPH with OAB and leaking somewhat day and night. Recently I tried wearing regular underwear and woke up in the morning to damp underwear with a wet spot. Pads aren't cutting it at night either because I toss and turn a lot. I've resigned myself to using a pullup or cloth training pants at night. During the day at work I use pads for the most part. However I've gone from one all day to 3 a day. When I travel I use a pullup or Tena Maxi-slip for ease of changing.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Fleetwoodmac32192
Back