Going to wear diapers 24/7 at 21. Looking for advices

Nicebo

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi there

I’m a male who just turned 21 and my journey that brought me to this decision of the title starts 10 years ago or so, when symptoms of OAB started to show up. First of all If you are wondering, I have already decided, I want to go 24/7, even though it might not be strictly necessary. I still have some control over my bladder and mediacations helped a lot, but this desn’t stop my curiosity to try out diapers and also think that this would be the best solution for me. Im only a bit afraid if I think that this is going to be a permanent change and after there’s no way back.

A little bit of my story: I think I lived such a moment when I wass 100% potty trained and continent and whenever I remember those days, I really miss that. But now the reality is different. I started to have a number of sudden and strong urgencies, along with some leaking episodes, during my teen years. I remember the first time I leaked, My mom took me from school and as she needed to go to a store to buy some stuff before coming home, she brought me with her. Seems like it was too much time for me to wait and I felt a big urge to go, since there were no toilets around, holding became a real struggle and all I was able to do is made it to the car but then I just wet myself. This was really embarassing, my mother scolded me because she said I didn’t go to the toilets in school, which was not true. Since this me and my mother discovered I have a problem and I came to terms that I couldn’t wait more than 2 hours without any trip to the bathroom. Since things were not improving, I started wearing pull-ups around the 7 grade. OMG was it embaressing. Fortunaltely, I carefully scheduled my toliet routine so very rarely I acutally wet my pull-ups, they rather were just in case, but with the time I felt how hard I trusted not wearing any protection, I felt much more relaxed and safe with a pull-up on. I started also to have bedwetting episodes so I often wore protection during night as well.

Once me and my family had to take a long travel by car on vacation, this is whem my mom forced me to wear a tape-on diaper. She said “you’re pullups are gojng to leak and I don’t want to clean my car if you wet it”. This time I fighted because the idea of wearing a “true diaper” really hit me. I was around 14 or 15 and it was an adult diaper (maybe a Depend?) since I was big enough for not wearing baby diapers anymore. This was the time I started to know the world of adult diapers, which brough me to learn about ABDLs and incontinent adults later on. I was super embarassed despite no one outisde my family would know, it felt so regressing, but at the same time I felt very safe and the fact it was plastic backed it was a whole new sensation for me. It was humiliating when my parents, my brother and sister went to the toilets at the gas station when we took a break, while I was not allowed to, I just had to stay diapered. I remember also how much I was surprised at the end of the travel about my diaper being so full, soggy and heavy, this was the first time I experienced carring more than one void in my “underwear” and was both amazed and scared about the result. I can't also forget what my mom commented that time, she said something like “If you keep drinking so much fruit juice, you may need a much thicker and more absorbent diaper!” These words also have wandered in my mind quite a bit…

I kept being embarassed about my issue, I kept wanting to outgrow pull-ups or diapers or whatever protection. But at the same time the whole idea of wearing diapers as an adult started to get interesting to me. I discovered the market of incontinence products, learned about different diapers brands and of course dicovered sites and forums like this one. Despite is not common find others at my age who have any sort of incontinence issue, I feel really glad and reassured there are other people like me. It’s a feeling of comfort that no one, not my family or doctors and my friends neither provided me.

What I feel lately is I am very tired of my condition, Im tired of scheduling my bathroom routine, I can’t stand that I feel exposed and not really safe even when I went to the toilet just 20-30 min ago… Im tired of my bedwetting and the fact that I often have to wash my sheets (at least my mother does).

I can’t do nothing but thinking about going to wear diapers and do it full time, like literally giving up underwear. This particulary since I started my job and found myself a flat to live in. This is like the perfect occasion to wear diapers without feeling like anyone is looking and therefore judging me. My mother also agreed to give me finiancial support, so now I just have to choose which brand to buy. I don’t know what to start with among Northshore, Molicare Maxi, Betterdry, Beyond XP 500, Tranquillity… I often lurk on the internet and watch pics of diapers and adults wearing diapers… and I really feel sort of jealous about them. Those thick white diapers seem to be so safe and comfortable. I don’t know why but I am so excited and curious to see how they would look on me lol.

I still have to figure out what consequences this is going to have. I don’t know how it is going to combine wiht going to the gym, goin to the beach, going to a sleepover. Also I hardly imagine this to bring out in a future relationship (I’m single right now) but again, the desire and the enthusiasm to start this new life in diapers is just too strong. I have to find a way to dress in order to be sure no one is going to notice when I’m out of home, I read people suggest to get on size bigger pants so Im also thinking about purchasing them.

So here I am about to start this new journey and wanted to share this with you, whatever advise and commment is well accepted,

Thank you!

• Thinking
  • Wow
Reactions: TeddyBunny, Neroforte, GoodnitesXL21 and 8 others
Always pack more diapers than you need
Always have a change of clothes and spare diapers etc in boot/trunk of your car
Plastic or PUL pants
Wipes
Set a changing routine
Leaks will happen when you least expect so be prepared

Reactions: Nicebo, queerpeanut, Jorelaxed and 3 others
If you do not want to try and hold it or cant hold it and intend for all pee your body makes to go into the diaper.. I suggest NorthShore Mega max hands down it is the best. Not the cheapest but with diapers you get what you pay for. You are going to spend about the same on cheap diapers you need to change 6 to 8 times a day as you will on premium diapers that you need to change only 2-maybe 3 times a day tops. I am complete incontinent Bladder and very often bowel too I use roughly 80 mega max a month. Now If you are bladder only you can get by with 2 a day most the times. I can get 8 to 10 during the day but never push it when around people. But at home at night I get 12 to 14 or more with a booster before I change. Fewer changes and premium diapers are the way to go. I keep spars in a bag with wipes and all the stuff to clean up and change but most the days I can plan my day so my changes are only at home. Now Shit happens and all diapers will leak at some point. Either the slide or get a tear or just bad luck so you will always want some within your near reach to change in public if so needed. Mega Max do swell up rather large when soaked but overall are very easy to hide s long as you do not overfill them. I wear jeans a couple sizes big in the waste relax fit and use a stretchy belt you can buy at walmart for 10 bucks to hold them up. Then I wear a loose T shirt or polo untucked. Nobody has ever asked me If I am diapered. I started using Depends belted garments in 1988-1990 in middle school to manage my urge and bladder pain and spasms. I have tried every diaper made for incontinence just about. I have seen the diaper evolve from total crap you needed to change everytime you pee to the great products today. Incontinence sucks I really would encourage you to try and keep control as long as possible and wear diapers as a back up plan. It does not take but a few years from when you give up and start using your diapers that you become unable to hold it at all.

If you have not seen a urologist I really urge you to do so before going much further. Incontinence is almost always a symptom of a bigger disease or health issue. interstitial cystitis or IC"can cause a lot of urge symptoms thou it is rare in men. But I have had it from grade school on. I was diagnosed at age 19. It is very painful and also known as Painful Bladder Syndrome. "PBS" a few others here suffer with it too. It can make me need to pee as often as every 5 minutes. That is why I ended up in diapers. I tis hard to live life from the inside of a restroom. But many other things can cause it incontinence or OAB as well.

Northshore has free samples of products and you can save 5 % with autoship. This is a link for some complete free samples... https://www.northshorecare.com/getsamples

ANd here is a cupon for $10 off the first order

Remember If you become totally dependent on diapers it will change many aspects of your life. Starting with the pocket book. I spend well over $250 a month. Anyone saying they wear 24/7 and spend less than $200 a month are lying and or not using them. Fell free to PM me if you have any questions or want to talk. I have spent the majority of my teen years diapered and all my adult years and am fixing to turn 49.

"I can go over how to build a diaper bag and how to protect your bed as well.

Welcome to the community too. Lots of support here. It takes a few post to get vetted so you can PM. If you would like me to PM you then reply and let me know . Best of luck.

Reactions: PaddedPonyboy, Nicebo, tammy4bbc and 7 others
Keep in mind that just because you're wearing it doesn't mean you have to use it. If you want to still try to make the toilet, then by all means. This is there as added protection because it's less embarrassing to pee your diaper than pee your pants. Now keep in mind, it is really easy to just slip into the "Well I am wearing a diaper" mindset, but be careful if that's not what you want.

I will say pack more diapers than you need when you go out and air on the side of caution. If your diaper can hold 4 pees, change at 3.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Jorelaxed, EcoIncon and 4 others
Nicebo said:
Hi there

I’m a male who just turned 21 and my journey that brought me to this decision of the title starts 10 years ago or so, when symptoms of OAB started to show up. First of all If you are wondering, I have already decided, I want to go 24/7, even though it might not be strictly necessary. I still have some control over my bladder and mediacations helped a lot, but this desn’t stop my curiosity to try out diapers and also think that this would be the best solution for me. Im only a bit afraid if I think that this is going to be a permanent change and after there’s no way back.

A little bit of my story: I think I lived such a moment when I wass 100% potty trained and continent and whenever I remember those days, I really miss that. But now the reality is different. I started to have a number of sudden and strong urgencies, along with some leaking episodes, during my teen years. I remember the first time I leaked, My mom took me from school and as she needed to go to a store to buy some stuff before coming home, she brought me with her. Seems like it was too much time for me to wait and I felt a big urge to go, since there were no toilets around, holding became a real struggle and all I was able to do is made it to the car but then I just wet myself. This was really embarassing, my mother scolded me because she said I didn’t go to the toilets in school, which was not true. Since this me and my mother discovered I have a problem and I came to terms that I couldn’t wait more than 2 hours without any trip to the bathroom. Since things were not improving, I started wearing pull-ups around the 7 grade. OMG was it embaressing. Fortunaltely, I carefully scheduled my toliet routine so very rarely I acutally wet my pull-ups, they rather were just in case, but with the time I felt how hard I trusted not wearing any protection, I felt much more relaxed and safe with a pull-up on. I started also to have bedwetting episodes so I often wore protection during night as well.

Once me and my family had to take a long travel by car on vacation, this is whem my mom forced me to wear a tape-on diaper. She said “you’re pullups are gojng to leak and I don’t want to clean my car if you wet it”. This time I fighted because the idea of wearing a “true diaper” really hit me. I was around 14 or 15 and it was an adult diaper (maybe a Depend?) since I was big enough for not wearing baby diapers anymore. This was the time I started to know the world of adult diapers, which brough me to learn about ABDLs and incontinent adults later on. I was super embarassed despite no one outisde my family would know, it felt so regressing, but at the same time I felt very safe and the fact it was plastic backed it was a whole new sensation for me. It was humiliating when my parents, my brother and sister went to the toilets at the gas station when we took a break, while I was not allowed to, I just had to stay diapered. I remember also how much I was surprised at the end of the travel about my diaper being so full, soggy and heavy, this was the first time I experienced carring more than one void in my “underwear” and was both amazed and scared about the result. I can't also forget what my mom commented that time, she said something like “If you keep drinking so much fruit juice, you may need a much thicker and more absorbent diaper!” These words also have wandered in my mind quite a bit…

I kept being embarassed about my issue, I kept wanting to outgrow pull-ups or diapers or whatever protection. But at the same time the whole idea of wearing diapers as an adult started to get interesting to me. I discovered the market of incontinence products, learned about different diapers brands and of course dicovered sites and forums like this one. Despite is not common find others at my age who have any sort of incontinence issue, I feel really glad and reassured there are other people like me. It’s a feeling of comfort that no one, not my family or doctors and my friends neither provided me.

What I feel lately is I am very tired of my condition, Im tired of scheduling my bathroom routine, I can’t stand that I feel exposed and not really safe even when I went to the toilet just 20-30 min ago… Im tired of my bedwetting and the fact that I often have to wash my sheets (at least my mother does).

I can’t do nothing but thinking about going to wear diapers and do it full time, like literally giving up underwear. This particulary since I started my job and found myself a flat to live in. This is like the perfect occasion to wear diapers without feeling like anyone is looking and therefore judging me. My mother also agreed to give me finiancial support, so now I just have to choose which brand to buy. I don’t know what to start with among Northshore, Molicare Maxi, Betterdry, Beyond XP 500, Tranquillity… I often lurk on the internet and watch pics of diapers and adults wearing diapers… and I really feel sort of jealous about them. Those thick white diapers seem to be so safe and comfortable. I don’t know why but I am so excited and curious to see how they would look on me lol.

I still have to figure out what consequences this is going to have. I don’t know how it is going to combine wiht going to the gym, goin to the beach, going to a sleepover. Also I hardly imagine this to bring out in a future relationship (I’m single right now) but again, the desire and the enthusiasm to start this new life in diapers is just too strong. I have to find a way to dress in order to be sure no one is going to notice when I’m out of home, I read people suggest to get on size bigger pants so Im also thinking about purchasing them.

So here I am about to start this new journey and wanted to share this with you, whatever advise and commment is well accepted,

Thank you!

I wet at night every night my whole life. I’ve worn diapers to bed forever. Really didn’t like being a bedwetter growing up because of the peer shame I would have to endure. I was kept in thick cloth pin on diapers with plastic pants. Mixed feelings really because by age 8 or 9 I had become a dl and looked forward to taking my bath then laying down spread eagle watching my mom pin my diapers on. I missed it when she started making me do it myself at 12 or 13. I struggled with daytime leaking as well and always had to find a bathroom 15+ times a day to try and control most of my wetting.
Anyway I didn’t choose to add quality disposables to daytime until 18 years ago. I should have done it sooner because I no longer had constant stress about daytime leaking and everything was under control. I commend you on your decision with just a couple suggestions. Try and get used to your wetting schedule. Use quality disposables and for me I use tranquility boosters in my diapers to get the max absorbency. Traveling is tricky and must be planned for. Try and just your mind to the fact and don’t shy away from it. I don’t broadcast I’m in dipers but don’t hide from it either. When I need to share a hotel room, or health club with someone I will speak frankly that I’m functionally incontinent and wear protection for it. I have never had any immature reaction to doing so. I sometimes get questions regarding why and isn’t there a solution besides diapers. I simply explain I have a neurogenic bladder and as my urologist put it my bladder reacts like a babies in that bladder/brain connections don’t work properly.
In short being a diaper lover and needing them is a wonderful place to be.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, GoodnitesXL21, Napincolove and 1 other person
Nicebo said:
Hi there

Thank you!
I can really relate to your post as your issues sound similar to mine before they worsened due to Long Covid. I'd echo the comment that you don't have to give up on underwear completely. Depending on the severity of your condition, you could get away with wearing a taped nappy under your boxer briefs and they'd completely conceal it. I started wearing DryNites pull ups under underwear and then Tena slips. The Tena slips could contain a bladder accident before things got worse and the bonus was that they weren't too big or ride up too high so with some sized up underwear they were completely hidden. Psychologically it was good as well as it felt like some added protection in my underwear rather than completely replacing my underwear if that makes sense. I was hoping I could go back to that (and even got my first new regular underwear in several years!) but alas a med change has meant it's back to bulkier products. I'd also recommend always trying to make the toilet, I still do even though it rarely happens. I feel like still trying to make it has meant I haven't given in.

If you just want to go to the underwear replacement route then popper vests will cover up everything and stop peekage above the waistband of trousers. The ones I use are longer around the leg so they are more like a combined vest and boxer short. I've found that ones that haven't got that added length cause leaks for me.

In terms of trousers, elasticated waistbands are great as they have that bit of extra give so can accommodate protection really well. Initially, I was just sizing up trousers with regular waistbands but the issue was they were too baggy and didn't fit well. It can be hard to find adult clothing with elasticated or semi-elasticated waistbands though. Often they're for seniors so don't look too great or from specialist disabled stores and cost a ton. Fortunately I've found that age 14-16 or 16 kids' clothes fit me perfectly as the waist isn't too big but I've got enough leg length and the elasticated waistband takes the added bulk. Here's an example of some Quiksilver trousers I've found useful:
Elasticated Waist Trouser Link

I'd also recommend wearing baggy t-shirts and hoodies so that the area's covered up anyway.

Hope some of this is helpful and sorry you're having to deal with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dinotopian2002, TeddyBunny and Edgewater
Stop!!

There are all kinds of reasons and support to just give-up, and wear and/or use diapers 24/7! After all we have excellent product now available. As so well stated by my good friend above: "Incontinent" is a know indicator of other commonly, far more serious illnesses and/or organ issues. I am a strong believer in maintaining as much of my limited continence, as possible, as for no other reason than being able to have a known skin drying time. I strongly recommended that you see your medical professional and define as fully as possible your version of IC! Understand what options are available and from there make choices.

NOTE: NorthShore's MEGAMAX is clearly an excellent diaper and a great place to start. But, understand that NorthShore provides a full-line of Protection products, each have a range (capacity) that by choosing can fit your needs! To that end, you should consider using a Journal that defines your daily/nighty requirements for a diaper. This will help your medical professional better define your form of IC. Later, it will help organizations like NorthShore to define the best diaper or diapers for your needs.

I do not recommend my schedule as it can be demanding. Like my good friend, I use NorthShore's MEGAMAX disposable diaper with a NorthShore Trifecta Diaper Cover (plastic pant) for overnight use as my night time wetting varies widely and the capacity of the MEGAMAX allows a full night sleep without leaks. During the day, I wear cloth, daytime weight, pre-folded diaper with NS Trifecta Diaper Cover. Changing during the day when needed.

My schedule is selected and designed for my very specific U-IC needs and is not recommended for near all those with U-IC, let alone a newbie.

• Love
Reactions: TeddyBunny, Jorelaxed, EcoIncon and 3 others
To the OP: consider also, how well you support yourself or supported by insurance etc. While young and well employed, the idea of buying expensive diapers may not trouble you. But when you reach retirement, forced to retire, or find yourself out of work with no good options, the reality of the cost on a fixed or limited income can be quite vexing. That 24/7 choice should be the last resort for young people. Get your medical issues checked out.

• Love
Reactions: TeddyBunny, EcoIncon, InconLifer and 1 other person
slimjiminy said:
To the OP: consider also, how well you support yourself or supported by insurance etc. While young and well employed, the idea of buying expensive diapers may not trouble you. But when you reach retirement, forced to retire, or find yourself out of work with no good options, the reality of the cost on a fixed or limited income can be quite vexing. That 24/7 choice should be the last resort for young people. Get your medical issues checked out.
Nail on the head. I had to retire do to health at a very early age. I am on a very tight fixed income and the extra $250 to 300 a month would go a long way. It might not sound like a lot. But at age 21 and only $200 month he is looking at $2,400 a month. So say he is relative healthy and works until 65. He is going to spend $105,600. That is a retirement fund alone. He will likely average over $300 or more by then for sure maybe more. If so that puts him a $158,400. Talk about pissing away a life savings. I have to admit I am kind of sick at my stomach doing the math! 😮‍💨 I know I would not wish this life onto anyone I know.

Reactions: Edgewater, slimjiminy and InconLifer
Can’t echo the comments above enough. Nappies (in my opinion anyway) are very much the least worst option for me, rather than actually being something great. They keep me dry and relatively comfortable (given wearing nappies isn’t that comfortable in the first place compared with normal underwear) and unlike other solutions I’ve considered, I can take care of managing it myself on my good days.

However, they’re crazy expensive (with Diaperman95 on how eye watering the costs after over time - I dread to think what I could have bought with the money if I didn’t need protection!), it’s been a nightmare to find suitable clothing (as I mentioned above), they produce a ton of rubbish every week and finding suitable places to change when out and about is problematic. There’s also the fact it’s not just the cost of the products themselves, it’s creams, wipes, boosters, bed mats etc. It all adds up.

Getting it looked at by a medical professional is a must. Also, even if some protection is needed after investigations and interventions there are cheaper options available. When my meds were increased and things were better, I still needed protection but going back to DryNites around the house during the day meant my expenditure was heavily reduce and I didn’t need a booster in my nappies all the time when out which decreased cost and the amount of rubbish every week. I was also able to use fewer as I didn’t flood all the time. Sadly they had to lower them again but it really hammered home how much of a pain big nappies are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Constantlydamp, princessarya, Edgewater and 1 other person
@Nicebo everyone above has given you excellent advice. For my opinion it comes down to:
1. See a doctor and be persistent about getting to the bottom of the problem
2. Try to keep the continence you have. If you don't it will get worse faster and the kind of incontinence where you completely lose control sucks more than the occasional leak.
3. Wear diapers as you want/need to. I think many in the DL space will agree diapers are great if you want to use them. They're also a great tool if you need them. But imho they're not fun if you have to wear them.

Reactions: daylight, princessarya, InconLifer and 2 others
Everyone above has given you some fantastic advice. But I also wanted to chime in as well:

Have full confidence in yourself. You are not alone. As you can see, this form is full of very kind and supportive people who have similar experiences.

Reactions: Diaperman95, princessarya, mirrored22 and 3 others
Knowing too well what diapers cost when I had to buy them myself, and doing the math for the long run. I feel lucky I get mine for free now through the public healthcare. Sure in my country tax is also ridiculously high compared to other countries, but still, I meant a heavy financial burden was taken away.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater and princessarya
InconLifer said:
Can’t echo the comments above enough. Nappies (in my opinion anyway) are very much the least worst option for me, rather than actually being something great. They keep me dry and relatively comfortable (given wearing nappies isn’t that comfortable in the first place compared with normal underwear) and unlike other solutions I’ve considered, I can take care of managing it myself on my good days.

However, they’re crazy expensive (with Diaperman95 on how eye watering the costs after over time - I dread to think what I could have bought with the money if I didn’t need protection!), it’s been a nightmare to find suitable clothing (as I mentioned above), they produce a ton of rubbish every week and finding suitable places to change when out and about is problematic. There’s also the fact it’s not just the cost of the products themselves, it’s creams, wipes, boosters, bed mats etc. It all adds up.

Getting it looked at by a medical professional is a must. Also, even if some protection is needed after investigations and interventions there are cheaper options available. When my meds were increased and things were better, I still needed protection but going back to DryNites around the house during the day meant my expenditure was heavily reduce and I didn’t need a booster in my nappies all the time when out which decreased cost and the amount of rubbish every week. I was also able to use fewer as I didn’t flood all the time. Sadly they had to lower them again but it really hammered home how much of a pain big nappies are.
You know in the UK if you have incontinence problems they do supply you with incontinence products free of charge on the NHS and they will be a lot better than the dry nights your using. All you need to do is get in touch with your local continence clinic and as your profile says London if you still live there it seems most people get good products (usually Tena) down south, up north were left to use ID slip which to be fair will still hold more than a dry night.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, InconLifer and Edgewater
Pongoandperdi15 said:
You know in the UK if you have incontinence problems they do supply you with incontinence products free of charge on the NHS and they will be a lot better than the dry nights your using. All you need to do is get in touch with your local continence clinic and as your profile says London if you still live there it seems most people get good products (usually Tena) down south, up north were left to use ID slip which to be fair will still hold more than a dry night.

Thanks! Sadly in my area (just outside London -it wasn’t Tena but Molicare here and didn’t get on with the products - found the quality really inferior). I also tried other solutions like a condom catheter but they didn’t work with my neuro issues as it was too fiddly. The DryNites were just for minor leakage as on the higher dose of meds I was having some days where it mainly just pre and post voiding leakage again. They can also handle an accident which isn’t a flood. I like how discreet they are and can be covered by regular underwear as it makes me feel more like I’m just in regular underwear and so it lifts my mood. Now the dosage has been reduced I’m back to the premium taped products all the time though.

I’m also a wheelchair user and don’t want to risk leaking on the seat and so don’t risk anything in terms of products when I’m out so it’s high capacity taped products with a booster. I also have issues finding suitable toilets when out to change in so do need the extra capacity.

Plus, I’ve leaked overnight with Tena products and other standard brands. I’d rather pay for my own and have the peace of mind that it isn’t likely that my sheets or clothes will get damp.

I wish there was an option where you could just get given the cost of standard products and use it to subsidise the cost of better products.

It’s great if standard products work for folks but I’ve had issues since my problems worsened. I’ve fortunately now got a selection of products which work for different scenarios.

Last edited:
Reactions: Constantlydamp and Edgewater
Nicebo said:
Hi there

Thank you!
Hi @Nicebo

Going into diapers 24/7 is not an easy decision, but when you have a history of bladder control issues, it can be a practical solution. And there are many of us here that wear them for medical reasons too.

That being said, you want to get this checked out. It’s not always the case but incontinence can sometimes be the symptom of a more serious medical issue - this was the case for me when we realised I had a chronic illness that was causing nerve damage in my lower body.

This meant I had to go back in diapers as a teenager 24/7 - like you I have some bladder control but it’s unpredictable.

You also want to keep hold of as much bladder control as you can - because in those moments you’re not wearing diapers (the bath/shower etc) you’re less likely to leak without knowing.

I still maintain a little control by emptying whatever’s in my bladder between diaper changes and when I have a bowel movement. I’d strongly recommend you do something similar - as it helps cut down the number of changes you’ll need to do.

If you can, you’ll find it helps to have a range of different diapers of varying thickness - when exercising you’ll want something as discreet as possible - by contrast you’ll want thicker diapers for night-time or long journeys. During the day you’ll want something in between.

Best of luck, but don’t forget to see your doctor. And don’t be shy about wearing a diaper to the appointment - they’re very professional about it.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

If you haven’t before, try it for a week or a month and see if it’s actually helpful. If you find it to be a net benefit, keep going. There’s no shame in it and for people with frustrating and misbehaving bladders they can be really helpful and releiving. If you haven’t, try and see a urologist to discover why it’s happening. Based on your meds comment I assume you have. And keep cost considerations in mind like others said too.

As far as consequences go, they take a pretty long time to manifest fully. I think you will know how well they work for you long before any kind of atrophy or degradation of control starts to sink in. The only way to really know is to try it. I started using diapers a lot more frequently in November and have had no change to my control or frequency yet…it’s still awful, but a lot easier to manage due to the diaper.

InconLifer said:
Thanks! Sadly in my area (just outside London -it wasn’t Tena but Molicare here and didn’t get on with the products - found the quality really inferior). I also tried other solutions like a condom catheter but they didn’t work with my neuro issues as it was too fiddly. The DryNites were just for minor leakage as on the higher dose of meds I was having some days where it mainly just pre and post voiding leakage again. They can also handle an accident which isn’t a flood. I like how discreet they are and can be covered by regular underwear as it makes me feel more like I’m just in regular underwear and so it lifts my mood. Now the dosage has been reduced I’m back to the premium taped products all the time though.

I’m also a wheelchair user and don’t want to risk leaking on the seat and so don’t risk anything in terms of products when I’m out so it’s high capacity taped products with a booster. I also have issues finding suitable toilets when out to change in so do need the extra capacity.

Plus, I’ve leaked overnight with Tena products and other standard brands. I’d rather pay for my own and have the peace of mind that it isn’t likely that my sheets or clothes will get damp.

I wish there was an option where you could just get given the cost of standard products and use it to subsidise the cost of better products.

It’s great if standard products work for folks but I’ve had issues since my problems worsened. I’ve fortunately now got a selection of products which work for different scenarios.
Ah molicare was about to say the only product I've found worse than a single ply paper towel but attends are also in that category 😂 it's a shame it's not a standardised format across the UK does my head in, I recently got them to change my pads not back to tena but go up in absorbent levels to super and maxi great I though problem solved oh no now ive gone up the quantity I get has been reduced so i get one change in the morning one when i get home from work and one when i go to bed "very comfortable" I don't want to change my self more than three times a day thank you NHS 😂 I sound like a right grumbler at least ive got something provided to me I think the part that gets me grumbling is when I see what other primary care providers are giving out seems unjust.

I've wished for that option for a long time as well just give me a budget and I'll buy what product I want and if I need to contribute more I will even if it was through and NHS purchasing site.

I think that what the NHS providers can't understand is that one product doesn't fit all you only have to come on here to find that out you've got people who prefer Tena, ID, drylife, Abena and some even like molicare and attends and what they can't seem to understand is that you try these products and they fit differently, or absorb differently, clump differently, big one is the sit test does it hold without leaving a wet mark 😂 and all of this helps save your dignity while all they can think of is saving a few pence.

And sorry OP I went slightly off topic to see if I could help someone else then got into a rant..

My tuppence would be this see a health care provider first as many have said if I could go back and push doctors more to fix my issue when it first began I would I feel like they ignored me because I was young they were very dismissive now I'm battling infection after infection with the prospect that at some point its going to hit my kidneys and its not going to end well and I really don't want this I'd quite like to live a long happy life that's free of illness.

• Love
Reactions: Constantlydamp and InconLifer
Pongoandperdi15 said:
Ah molicare was about to say the only product I've found worse than a single ply paper towel but attends are also in that category 😂 it's a shame it's not a standardised format across the UK does my head in, I recently got them to change my pads not back to tena but go up in absorbent levels to super and maxi great I though problem solved oh no now ive gone up the quantity I get has been reduced so i get one change in the morning one when i get home from work and one when i go to bed "very comfortable" I don't want to change my self more than three times a day thank you NHS 😂 I sound like a right grumbler at least ive got something provided to me I think the part that gets me grumbling is when I see what other primary care providers are giving out seems unjust.

I've wished for that option for a long time as well just give me a budget and I'll buy what product I want and if I need to contribute more I will even if it was through and NHS purchasing site.

I think that what the NHS providers can't understand is that one product doesn't fit all you only have to come on here to find that out you've got people who prefer Tena, ID, drylife, Abena and some even like molicare and attends and what they can't seem to understand is that you try these products and they fit differently, or absorb differently, clump differently, big one is the sit test does it hold without leaving a wet mark 😂 and all of this helps save your dignity while all they can think of is saving a few pence.

And sorry OP I went slightly off topic to see if I could help someone else then got into a rant..

My tuppence would be this see a health care provider first as many have said if I could go back and push doctors more to fix my issue when it first began I would I feel like they ignored me because I was young they were very dismissive now I'm battling infection after infection with the prospect that at some point its going to hit my kidneys and its not going to end well and I really don't want this I'd quite like to live a long happy life that's free of illness.

Yeah, the Molicare products are awful, even DryNites are more absorbent than them. I think you hit the nail on the head in that when it comes to things like fit different products work differently for different people. The issue with all of these products is that fit and sizing can vary significantly and so it’s a bit mad that different areas will only buy in one brand.

I think the issue is that people that order them in often don’t use them and probably think (as I naively did when I started using protection) that they’re all pretty much the same and will do the job.

I was hoping to use the products from the Continence Team as my round the house products and save money that way but they were too bad even for that. Comfort’s a big thing for me as well, having sensory issues due to my ADHD and Autism.

Reactions: Edgewater
Back