Getting a diaper thats "too big"?

griphixx said:
This kind of relates to my post about what the thickest diaper is, but I was wondering if anyone had purposely purchased diapers a size above what fits them, and how it fits. Can you still wear them? Are they baggy, or do they make you feel smaller? Its just an interesting idea lol. Let me know 🙃
I'm 'supposed' to wear medium diapers, according to my weight & dimensions but am at the upper range that medium covers. So, one day I bought larges instead, put 'em on...

I loved that my diaper tapes came closer to the front and off the sides. Looked in the mirror and the results were extremely pleasing: my diaper looked exactly as it looks on a baby! A "tucked waistband" in front on the tummy, the perfect amount of puff in front, the perfect amount of sag in my bottom...a bit roomier inside with a bit more tickle (I love how my diaper tickles me now!)...and much more tender, sensuous, cuddly softness on my bottom. I'm a very sweet, happy baby girl now...just because I went up one diaper size. 🥴🤗🥰🥰🥰

neurallink said:
I dislike the (lack of) comfort of larger sizes having much more material between the legs, and the rise on the front/back - the former leads to chafe/sag and too much space inside, whilst the second needs me to roll it back down (and then back to lack of comfort again). But I really don't find sizes too large to seal well around the seat for me regardless of how I finagle the tapes with only few exceptions (and, by then, I'm concerned about ripping off the tape as I try to pull it tight). Some brands have a rather large step-up between sizes.
I hear you, we all fit different. And if you like less bulk that is personal choice.

I found many brands that didnt fit correct and/or leaked etc over the years...

I know for myself, i found the couple that fit me right and I prefer the more padding/capacity, but i also always wear a cover as well as usually a onesie or suit/romper over everyhing, so sagging is not an issue for me that way.

I find that there is no such thing as 100% leak proof, and i use a cover over diaper to help that small chance be less, as leaks are not a good thing. I use for need so capacity is a good thing especially if i'm out someplace as changing is not very easy in many places especially being in a wheelchair.

Reactions: neurallink
When I was much younger and started being able to buy adult nappies more freely (20+ years ago) I had about a 32" waist and was much more skinny, I fit well in mediums, from how they felt when on I was probably in the lower to middle end of the range that a medium size nappy is supposed to fit and could probably have got away just fine with smalls.

One day I was placing an order for a 3 packs and on a whim made one of them a Large size just to see how the extra bulk felt and if they held more, I figured that if they were to big and leaked a lot I could put a medium on first with some holes in it and then a large over the top and it would be fine.

Well I found that while they were definitely too big but I only had a couple of leaks and if I changed how I taped them a little bit I could get them to fit fairly well, I loved the extra bulkiness between the legs and REALLY loved how much higher up on my torso they came and have only bought large size ever since.

I found that some brands the large size really didn't work well at all and they had to be doubled or used with plastic pants but other brands were just fine.

In the last 8-10 years though I have put on a bit more weight and my waist has gone up to about 38"-39", I fit quite comfortable in large but could probably fit in mediums still though I think smalls would probably be too small now.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I often run into the problem of figuring out which is the right size for me.

My experiences are limited to store brands or what I can find in a goodwill store, but because I have "thunder thighs", I seem to be right on the "edge" between M and L of different brands, even though I have about a 36.5" waist at around 198-205 pounds... I can barely tape on some M's while some L's seem to have excess overlap and extend way up my back and almost to my navel.

Due to financial concerns and family issues, mail ordering is not an option for me...

• Thinking
Reactions: mistykitty and BobbiSueEllen
It really depends on your body and the cut, shape and padding of the diaper. In my personal experience, a diaper that is the wrong size (fit ) for my body leaks a lot, has trouble staying in place if to big and has vastly diminished usable capacity before leaking. I also recall trying one larger diaper where it seemingly reached all the way to my nipples... Larger sized adult diapers are never thicker when worn, but they usually have more padding covering a larger area hence why they often are listed as absorbing more. If the fit isn't able to make and keep a good seal, no amount of absorbency is going to stop the leaks.

It may make sense to use a larger size if your double diapering and it may fit you fine, heck you might figure out how to adjust a larger size for your body and it may work for you. And if your in-between sizes, both sizes may not be an ideal fit or both may be workable on your body.

griphixx said:
This kind of relates to my post about what the thickest diaper is, but I was wondering if anyone had purposely purchased diapers a size above what fits them, and how it fits. Can you still wear them? Are they baggy, or do they make you feel smaller? Its just an interesting idea lol. Let me know 🙃
I seem to only be able to buy diapers that are too big for me or too small. I'm a weird size. slightly too big for small. slightly too small for medium. for some diapers I just accept the looseness, for others I shrink the wings to fit my small, skinny frame

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and mistykitty
I seem to fall between the medium to large range for most of what I buy. I've rarely experienced leaking though it has occurred on occasion. I usually end up going large for pull-up style and medium for diapers in many cases and that seems to work.

Reactions: Forced and BobbiSueEllen
I’m in border line medium and large. I used go with mediums they were nice and snug but quite on limit with the tapes. I’ve recently started using large and finding them ok. I adjust them with the tapes so there a tight fit and don’t get any issue with leaks. I occasionally mess them so find it’s a advantage to have a bit more flexibility at the back

I always order larger diapers. I'm a M, but one day, I accidently got a L in an order, but instead of picking up my phone, I picked up the diaper and just loved how great it felt, wearing a size up. So that's all I wear. Sure I can probably get a much better fit in an M, but larges feel so much better. Thicker, poofier and they have a bit more room for Luvs as stuffers. The end result is always a super thick diaper that just feels so good, I don't ever want to take it off.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and jamiejamie
I also find that a large diaper feels nice. Still I have been using M for many years, because all sizes L I tried are just too big. I couldn't get the tapes right. To be tight enough, one tape would have to go over the other.

That is until I tried some rearz daydreamers size L because M was sold out, and they fit really nice. I can barely tape it as tight as I want, but barely is enough. They're just a little larger than M normally is. It seems all diapers from rearz have this new size L now so for people who find M just a little too small they could be perfect.

Last edited:
I'm right at the bottom end of the medium size bracket, 32" waist measured, I wear a 30 in most jeans, and even at that they don't stay up.
But I find a lot of mediums the padding stops way to low, particularly old ID slips, I used to wear ID slip super 24/7, and they were fine, but drylife slip super, same nappy as the id just sold under a different brand after the original went cloth back, just seem to sit too low, like they removed a few cm of plastic from round the waistband of the nappy.
Same issue when I tried ID slip maxi prime, they just seem to be too low.
Well some large id slip appeared for sale locally and I bought them, ok the top tapes overlap a tiny bit but for the most part there far better than the medium at containing large wetting when I'm in bed.
The padding comes up way higher, the waistband of the nappy comes way up to my bottom ribs.

Only issue comes if I flood after the nappy has sagged, then the pee can leak out the leg holes, this has only happened once but my bed was soaked and needed changing

Back