For those with OAB, what meds have and have not worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandumFoxx

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
For those who have overactive bladder, both male and female here, what medications have you tried and what meds have not been effective at all for you? I understand everyones body is different, and I'm looking to see if there's suggestions I can make if and when I see my urologist next. I've tried Solfemacin (Vesicare) and that was not effective. In the last month, I have also tried a months worth of sampling Myrbetriq, which is considered one of the more promising medications but also one of the most expensive since there's no generic variant, and that seems to have only resulted in retention and constipation, two side effects connected with the med.

Reactions: iatec779 and Diprs2
Hi,

i tried Solifemacin as well, it was the worst of all i tried, the side effects were murderous.

Oxybutynin as "Kentera" as "sticky plaster (?)" was not that bad, but i got bowel incontinent of it, so no solution.

Betmiga was O.K., but the effect was low, it did not work well together with my POTS.

SpasmEX: Same problems like Soilfenacin (Trospiumchlorid)

In the end i did the Botox injections, which worked well, but with retention and ISC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 247 and RandumFoxx
Pino said:
Hi,

i tried Solifemacin as well, it was the worst of all i tried, the side effects were murderous.

Oxybutynin as "Kentera" as "sticky plaster (?)" was not that bad, but i got bowel incontinent of it, so no solution.

Betmiga was O.K., but the effect was low, it did not work well together with my POTS.

SpasmEX: Same problems like Soilfenacin (Trospiumchlorid)

In the end i did the Botox injections, which worked well, but with retention and ISC.
What is ISC? I've heard of IBS, but not ISC. While I would almost go as fa as to prefer retention to leakage as the issue, the pressure increases the leakage.I may ask about the Botox injections though I have a previous history of epilepsy, but no incidents in well over a decade now. If a med can "shut the faucet off" so to speak without having to push, that would be an improvement in itself.
''

Reactions: Pino
ISC: intermittent self catheterization

Myrbetriq is the only med that ever was effectual on me. That said, I have been self cathing for years but I found I had difficulty self cathing while taking Myrbetriq. So I'm not on any meds for my U-IC currently.

Reactions: Pino
Pino said:
I've been taking Ditropan XL (oxybutynin tablets) for nearly 2 years. I'm not currently aware of any side effects. If I had any when I began taking Ditropan, I don't remember them.

CheshireCat said:
ISC: intermittent self catheterization

Myrbetriq is the only med that ever was effectual on me. That said, I have been self cathing for years but I found I had difficulty self cathing while taking Myrbetriq. So I'm not on any meds for my U-IC currently.
Funny enough, that's the one I've tried for a good month now and hasn't been that effective

RandumFoxx said:
For those who have overactive bladder, both male and female here, what medications have you tried and what meds have not been effective at all for you? I understand everyones body is different, and I'm looking to see if there's suggestions I can make if and when I see my urologist next. I've tried Solfemacin (Vesicare) and that was not effective. In the last month, I have also tried a months worth of sampling Myrbetriq, which is considered one of the more promising medications but also one of the most expensive since there's no generic variant, and that seems to have only resulted in retention and constipation, two side effects connected with the med.
After going to the Urologist and doing all the tests, doctor diagnosed OAB URGE INCONTINENCE and prescribed Mybetriq. I took it about a week and saw my blood pressure go sky high and I stopped taking it. A week after taking it, I developed a really bad bladder infection as well, which was also listed as side effects. He then prescribed Oxybutinin. I took it for roughly a week and started noticing my pulse halting rather frequently. I stopped taking that as well. Now, my urgencies during the day have surprisingly improved but with the continued getting up 3-4 times a nite, I started wearing diapers to bed. Have been getting some incredible sleep! No more drugs for me!

Reactions: CLPP, EcoIncon, disabledinconben and 1 other person
Probably not much help here. I am either allergic or have problematic side effects with most drugs, including antibiotics, pain meds, and OAB meds. I took Ditropan many years ago and experienced insomnia, headaches, and frequent PVCs (preventricular heart contractions). It also didn’t seem to help my OAB. I’ve been prescribed Vessicare, and Mybetric, but declined to take them due to my sensitivity to drugs in general and the side effects potentially causing problems with my job.

RandumFoxx said:
I’ve tried all the meds they’ve never worked

Reactions: PaddedMI and 247
All very good posts!

So pleased I came to the conclusion that nappies/diapers are the best choice for me.

Having had retention issues and IC my Urologist has offered me both Meds and Botox in the past.

Given I have regular scans for retention, use ISC (Self Catheterisation) when needed (necessary evil but clearly not by choice) and understand the potential danger of pressure on the kidneys; I was surprised to be offered Botox as an option for my IC. My Urologist warned me with the caveat it might make my retention issues worse and make me unable to empty bladder at all without ISC. That was the show stopper for me 1) Potential damage to kidneys 2) 247 reliance on ISC

As for Meds for the IC, my Urologist was honest and explained they
may help but are unlikely to make you continent. With that I’m like “If i’ll still need protection then why poison my system and suffer with side effects” LOL

Came to the self conclusion that Nappies/Diapers are best for me.

She’s 100% aligned with me on that but wanted to give me the options.

And so I continue with regular scans, occasional ISC and Nappies/Diapers.

I look at Nappies/Diapers being a huge POSITIVE for me personally. Really feel for those with IC that find it an indignity and suffer.

If there is a wonder drug, let me know.

Reactions: hbic60 and Diprs2
There maybe one more option nobody mentioned until now, it is possible to use ISC in both ways, first empty the bladder completely, than put Anticholinergica inside (Instillation), the drug is working directly with no side effects. I asked for that and thought it a great idea, but in Germany this is only accessible for people with abdominal catheter. I think this is stupid, but the insurance won't pay for it otherwise, perhaps this is different in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
Im still skipping the Meds after 9+ years of wearing 24/7 Im fine with managing my Bladder issue with diapers

Reactions: richieboy, 247, disabledinconben and 1 other person
247 said:
All very good posts!

So pleased I came to the conclusion that nappies/diapers are the best choice for me.
As for Meds for the IC, my Urologist was honest and explained they
may help but are unlikely to make you continent. With that I’m like “If i’ll still need protection then why poison my system and suffer with side effects” LOL

Came to the self conclusion that Nappies/Diapers are best for me.

She’s 100% aligned with me on that but wanted to give me the options.
I've made absolutely exactly the same experience with my doc, who also honestly told me that meds could only reduce, but for sure not heal my urge IC. He was fine with my decision - as I have no regrets wearing protection - to leave everything as it is unless I don't feel comfortable any more. So he just gave me a prescription for incontinence supplies and I'm good.

Reactions: Diprs2 and 247
hbic60 said:
who also honestly told me that meds could only reduce, but for sure not heal my urge IC
So this is what I finally got out of my last Urologist, who is head of the Department at a major medical school. Of course, this was after another uro-dynamics test, which showed my detrusor muscle emptying my bladder at around 125 ml.

I’ve been offered interstim and Botox too, but these are also just treating the symptoms with potential negative issues (retention). My nerves around my bladder and bowels have been faulty since childhood. And, it’s only been getting slowly worse over the years, compounded by my many surgeries to fix body parts, kidney stones, and spinal stenosis. At least with diapers I know what I’m getting into.

Last edited:
Oxybutynin didn’t work, and self catheterization didn’t work either, I just bled when I peed

• Wow
I was recently diagnosed with OAB and some urge incontinence. I been taking Toviaz for a few weeks with no change. I up the dose in a couple weeks is supposedly the next step so see how that goes.
I do notice a little more dry mouth but same OAB symptoms

Oxybutynin - Dry mouth and dizziness were side effects.

Detrol LA - no effect.

Mybretriq - dry mouth and cramping.

Flomax- made my incontinence issues much worse.

Currently not doing meds.

ShortFirefly said:
Oxybutynin - Dry mouth and dizziness were side effects.

Detrol LA - no effect.

Mybretriq - dry mouth and cramping.

Flomax- made my incontinence issues much worse.

Currently not doing meds.
Do you wear protection then in case you have an accident

Danielgartin691993 said:
Do you wear protection then in case you have an accident
24/7... mostly diapers these days, pull-ups occasionally.

Having an OAB, I would be hesitant to take meds, because I am also In congestive heart failure, extra fluid would be bad for me but getting better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back