Fecal incontinence...and easy elimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
greatlake5 said:
Almost all of my BM's are when I'm sleeping. I sleep like I'm in a coma…..
Darn, I miss the days when it took an act of Congress to wake me up. Nowadays I sleep for 3 to 3-1/2 hours and wake up, go back to sleep for another 3 to 3-1/2 hours, and wake up again. Ever since I had a seizure and I quit taking Effexor ER over 8 years ago I’ve had this short sleep cycle. I’m not sure which, if either caused it, but it began immediately after I had one and quit the other.

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater
Zeke said:
Darn, I miss the days when it took an act of Congress to wake me up. Nowadays I sleep for 3 to 3-1/2 hours and wake up, go back to sleep for another 3 to 3-1/2 hours, and wake up again. Ever since I had a seizure and I quit taking Effexor ER over 8 years ago I’ve had this short sleep cycle. I’m not sure which, if either caused it, but it began immediately after I had one and quit the other.
A slightly different consideration, but likely same timeline came the vast switch to LED Daylight bulbs. Most people simply switch bulbs using the same wattage when they switched. Most people should consider down grading to 40 Watt LED Daylight bulbs. The hidden issue is LED Daylight affects our mind's sleep schedule and can really alter it. If you are mostly LED Daylight bulbs, starting shutting them down following natural Sunlight schedule. It is not the same for everyone, but it is an easy thing to try. Sad part is can take several weeks before noticing a difference.

Hope it helps!

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, babykeiff, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Zeke said:
Darn, I miss the days when it took an act of Congress to wake me up.
I've always slept like a log. Not only that, I can take a nap pretty easy. But almost every time when I wake up I have a loaded diaper. At first I hated that. Now I prefer having that while sleeping because it's better than having a BM during the day. Having a BM accident during the day is rare but when it happens it means I stop what I was doing and go home for clean-up and a shower. Kind of a pain in the ass.

• Sad
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Zeke and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
A slightly different consideration, but likely same timeline came the vast switch to LED Daylight bulbs. Most people simply switch bulbs using the same wattage when they switched. Most people should consider down grading to 40 Watt LED Daylight bulbs. The hidden issue is LED Daylight affects our mind's sleep schedule and can really alter it. If you are mostly LED Daylight bulbs, starting shutting them down following natural Sunlight schedule. It is not the same for everyone, but it is an easy thing to try. Sad part is can take several weeks before noticing a difference.

Hope it helps!
I’ve got a three way LED next to my bed that I read with but seldom do I use it on more than the first level. Could it be caused by my LED TV? I have an LED TV in my bedroom that I usually watch before going to sleep, maybe it’s causing my sleep problems.

Zeke said:
I’ve got a three way LED next to my bed that I read with but seldom do I use it on more than the first level. Could it be caused by my LED TV? I have an LED TV in my bedroom that I usually watch before going to sleep, maybe it’s causing my sleep problems.
Assure that the three way light is off while you are watching the TV. The various color bands 'may' limit the effect. Just assure that the TV is as far away as possible within the room.

Reactions: Zeke
babykeiff said:
I remember, in a previous job, having to go into a public office. In that office, I presume from the reek of amonia from stale urine, that one of the staff there were bladder incontinent and probably wore diapers / pads. Since it had been going on for such a long time, most of the staff there were unaware of how bad it was, but visitors noticed it instantly. The managers relocated the staff to different offices and placed the person who had bladder issues on early retirement. They could do that in that era, but today there would be uproar. I can see the management idea, to address the issue without directly confronting the person in question - but in reality, they shouldn't have needed to do same.

I don't know where you work, but I suspect that people treat you different - i.e. with pity. Your partner is really not being fair to you by lying about the smell. After all, you have got used to it, and can no longer smell it. The 'kindness' your partner is showing to you, I see as cowardise - s/he is to scared to offend you so s/he says nothing.

I strongly suggest that you check with medical and get clearance to use internal deodrants - not as much for your nose, but for the noses of those around you. You might also find that without that aroma surrounding you, people might get to know you and your personality, and not just see you as a 'differently abled person' in diapers that one needs to be careful around.
I think perhaps you've overlooked greatlakes5's statements that appropriate clothing *is* worn, and that *chlorophyll* is used as an internal deodorant.

Reactions: Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
greatlake5 said:
You don't know me. I own the business. And I've been USING (from my internist suggesting) CHLOROPHYLL FOR YEARS. Since then, I've never been commented on my "odor." From work, friends, family and of course my partner. Read the post and READ it completely.
I wish I could like this post more than once!

Chlorophyll has been used as an internal deodorant for decades - for people, and for pets as well (especially dogs and cats, because of their carnivorous diets). I don't know why that was overlooked.

Edgewater said:

Hope it helps!
A good point, and I believe a number of manufacturers make their LED bulbs dimmable - which would make following natural light pattern easier. 🙂

Edgewater said:
Assure that the three way light is off while you are watching the TV. The various color bands 'may' limit the effect. Just assure that the TV is as far away as possible within the room.
The TV is about as far away as I can get in that room. If I hold my iPhone at about 12 to 14 inches away from my face it completely eclipses the screen of my 40” TV. I’ll try replacing the 3 way LED bulb in my bedside reading lamp with a 3 way incandescent bulb and give it a few weeks to see if that helps my sleep patterns. Thanks Edgewater, I had never considered how LEDs can affect sleep, but I guess it’s all related to the “blue light” that I’ve heard about.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Jed51
AttilaThePun said:
I wish I could like this post more than once!

Chlorophyll has been used as an internal deodorant for decades - for people, and for pets as well (especially dogs and cats, because of their carnivorous diets). I don't know why that was overlooked.
Do you have to eat the whole tree or just the leaves?

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, AttilaThePun and babykeiff
Zeke said:
Do you have to eat the whole tree or just the leaves?
🤣🤣

I think just the leaves would be tastiest, perhaps with a nice herbal dressing!

Reactions: Edgewater and Zeke
Edgewater said:

Hope it helps!
Edgewater, your inner geek is peeking out 😋

I love that you are smart enough to know the impact of bulb types on circadian rhythms. In simple terms, artifical light used to be created via combustion - i.e. burning candle wax, gas, tungsten. This is always a high infrared light instead of a high ultraviolet colour. As a result, the light didn't effect ones internal body clock and/or sleep patterns. The introduction of chemical reactive based light sources - photon reactive (floruscent) and more critical - diode based photon emittive (Light Emitting Diode of LED) create the same type of photons that reaches us from the sun. As a result, floruscent, CFL and LED light sources do directly effect the circadian rythms since they reset the body clock.

I see that you suggest shutting the lights off. That will help, but it would be better to have a side light with the old type filement bulb instead so in the evenings, use the side light not the main light in the room. It should allow the body clock to use sunlight to self calibrate, but there is the secondary issue - computer screens, phone screens, TV screens - all use new 'Green' LED backlights. This is the main reason children are getting thicker (sorry for the phrase, but it is apt). Playing with mobile phones / watching TV to fall asleep reset the body clock and one does not fall into a deep enough sleep as the body thinks it is day time.

It has long been presumed that CRT televisions were bad for the eyesight, but research focused on the scanning properties and flickering of the picture and not the image creation itself. Due to the photon emissions of the primary colours, the mind sees a CRT tv as a source of daylight. This has got worse with flat screen TVs and the way they work - a discharge CFL lamp, and then LED backlights - where it progressed to smaller and smaller devices and home lights.

For those who have trouble sleeping at night / insomnia, the best way to unwind is to read a physical book where it is lit by the old type filiment bulbs. The brighness (wattage) doesn't really matter, where a 40W to 100W bulb provides enough light to comfortably read, but the colour is red based instead of 'blueish' LED type bulbs - similar to what Edgewater states.

babykeiff said:
Post #3

Post #2

Post #1

Yes, I do agree, I don't know you, and it was a mistake on my part to offer you any assistance in relation to offending others. Obviously, you have taken offence where none was intended.

That is something you need to deal with - without my help.
You jumped to a lot of conclusions based on incomplete evidence, and while I'm sure you meant well, I found your odor lecture quite insensitive. It's just not your place to lecture a complete stranger on odor they may or may not have. He doesn't worry about it because he's already taking steps to manage it. Stick to helping people understand light and circadian rhythms.

Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
A number of you have stated that a fecal event necessitates a shower to feel clean. This was my experience for years, but then I discovered that shaving makes all the difference. When there's no hair to catch things, I can wipe to good as new with a premoistened wipe or two, and pretty quickly and easily. If you've not tried it, it might be worth a try.

InvestigativePhilosopher said:
A number of you have stated that a fecal event necessitates a shower to feel clean. This was my experience for years, but then I discovered that shaving makes all the difference. When there's no hair to catch things, I can wipe to good as new with a premoistened wipe or two, and pretty quickly and easily. If you've not tried it, it might be worth a try.
Of course I agree. For quite a while I've kept my pubic hair cut so short it's almost not there. I don't shave it but I trim it as close as I could do
(no burn, thank you). And I've been using chlorophyll for years. Between my pubic hair trimmed and internal deodorant, the odor after a shower,
I smell pretty clean and fresh. After a BM accident, I might not smell like a bouquet of roses but I don't stink as poop.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
InvestigativePhilosopher said:
This was me for a long time.

Shaving everything does help a great deal. And yes, it often meant taking an immediate shower. These days I can avoid the shower using a foaming cleanser, which gets me super clean. It's not as good but it's almost there and it feels acceptably so. It has been a great find and is now in every spot I change in, due to how much time I save. For anyone interested, it's Welmedix home care pro foaming cleanser. Everyone I've recommended it to has loved it.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
A lot of people here are taking offence to the truth, and in my humble opinion, at a cost to themselves. Some here are playing at being a moderator/parent/supervisor/boss by telling others what they should or should not post. This forum is all about rational disscussion, and is in no way dictorial. As a result, no one persons opinion is worth more than anothers - AND no person, bar the actual moderation team, has the right and/or authority to tell another what to do, even if they disagree with what the other person is saying.

The rights and ability of free speech protects ALL speech - including the speech one might find offensive.

So, although you might disagree with what I post, that is your free choice, it in no way gives you, or another (bar the moderation team), the right or authority to prevent me from posting.

*Offence is taken, not given, so in reality, due to simple mathematics, it is not possible to post without at least one person taking offence. Millions gave their lives worldwide to ensure everyone in the world has these simple rights, and I will continue that fight forever to ensure those rights exist.

Peremptory Facts
  • Urine is odourous - it offends others.
  • Poop is odourous - it offends others.
  • Human skin is porus/absorbs liquid = urine and poop gets partially absorbed into skin.
  • The human mind accepts / ignores what is familliar as it percieves it not to be a threat = one becomes nose-blind.
This all means that when one is peeing and/or pooping into diapers, the smell gets into ones skin and the person wearing the diaper becomes nose blind to their own smells. A baby is bathed on a daily basis - to avoid that issue, but society accepts that a baby, at times, can stink - and expects its mother/career to address that issue. Some babies/children are coated in scented oil / powder / lotion as a way to arrest the stink, but these type of baby-scents from an adult are usually not welcome.

Society expects, which is not unreasonable, that an adult does not offend others with the stink of their excretement nor with the overpowering stink of perfumes etc. Some here can attest to the people who one would presume soakes in perfume/aftershave due too the fog of aroma left as they pass you. This was/is an issue with some smokers, as the smoking can dull their sence of smell. They can also reek of stale partially burnt tobacco. A diaper dependant person can also leave similar fog of aroma - noseblindness means that person is unaware of the stink.

Simply, without constant dilligence and the unbiased truth from those around us, it only takes a matter of time before we stink too bad to appear in public, similar to the people who 'bathe in aftershave/perfume'. The unbiased truth needs our friends and partners to tell us when we stink, as to do otherwise is lying to us.

In relation to lying to 'just be kind', that is cowerdice and/or fear, and is no help to us in any form. Courtiers and/or someone in a subservient position commonly, out of fear and/or self preservation, will not tell the truth to the King/Queen/Boss. This behaviour of deceipt / lying by omission has become common in society i.e. saying to an obese partner, that dress/skirt/pants does not make you look fat OR saying to another, that haircut / clothes takes years off you, when most of the time one is thinking the opposite. We might think that we are being kind / caring to that person as an excuse for the lie, but we are still lying / decieving another for self gain.

In relation to the odour being identified, it needs constant work - which includes all of the following plus plus. There is ways to limit the smell, but due to the constant additions, no way to remove it forever, despite what others tell us.
  • internal deodorants
  • controlled diet
  • plastic pants
  • fine attention to hygine - including showering numerous times daily plus regular bathing.
  • hair removal may be an option, but that alone is not the solution due to the makeup of human skin and hair growth.
  • barrier cream - like vaseline or any cream that blocks liquid entering skin pores.
... and what is most important, as soon as you notice that your diaper is soiled, one changes out of same and washes the area using soap and warm water. This is what most parents do when their baby poops their diapers - using wipes, cleans the area well, reapplies a barrier cream and then a fresh diaper, and when convenient, bathes the baby in warm soapy water.

• Angry
Reactions: hbic60 and Edgewater
babykeiff said:
internal deodorants
controlled diet
plastic pants
fine attention to hygine - including showering numerous times daily plus regular bathing.
hair removal may be an option, but that alone is not the solution due to the makeup of human skin and hair growth.
barrier cream - like vaseline or any cream that blocks liquid entering skin pores.
You could have left out your post except the main point. I'm sure many didn't read most it if not all. I didn't. But I got the most important points.
And I've read it before. We get that. Move on.

• Love
Reactions: hbic60, slimjiminy, AttilaThePun and 2 others
You classify yourself as Incontinent and only have been on this site for a short while. With time, you will come to a point that you can see who are truly incontinent from those that just want to be.

In my opinion. ADISC's Incontinent Forum is the Best on the Web. Those that truly suffer from the heart-wrenching experience of daily incontinence understand /live your points, but also with time have come to see those that can choose. I am certain when you get sometime behind you here, you will see what others here see clearly.

No one in the Incontinence Forum needs a College Professor's face slamming to understand what we know and feel everyday. We have zero choice, we either wear or we hide at home, lock-a-ways! I still have dreams, now 45 years later, of the car crash that left me 24/7, U-IC. I full know what it's like to be U-IC. And, I see myself as lucky compared to others who have vast physical and mental limitations and still have the inner-strength to be diapered and go out into the Real World Everyday!!

My request is that you stop and consider placing yourself in one of the most motion limited individuals here life, struggling to change themselves while they are out and about. Now from that vantage point, read your first post slowly.

We want you to feel comfortable and accepted here. We just asked that you listen, watch and work to understand!

Being IC can place individuals in positions of considering that this life is way to difficult to continue! You have not yet witnessed, this group, support each other during those moments! Walk a mile in their moccasin, before you disparage those others who are profoundly IC.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CrossfireHurricane, hbic60, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
babykeiff said:
As a result, no one persons opinion is worth more than anothers - AND no person, bar the actual moderation team, has the right and/or authority to tell another what to do, even if they disagree with what the other person is saying.

The rights and ability of free speech protects ALL speech - including the speech one might find offensive.
See your own words which I colored red to better understand why I found your posts offensive. You have the legal right to be arrogant and insensitive and make a public display of it, then be outraged and double down on it when people gently tell you that it might not be the best plan. Just remember, your rights only cover you as far as the voluntary association here allows, as you mention regarding the moderation team. You do have nice formatting, though.

• Love
Reactions: CrossfireHurricane, greatlake5, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back