Do you use a changing pad and a table or bed? Or do you simply stand up?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Do you use a changing pad on a table or bed? Or do you simply stand up? I've read this both ways. As an IC adult, I prefer changing at home in my own bathroom. And I stand up when I remove the diaper, clean up and shower (if I had a dirty diaper). And sometimes I dry off after a shower and lay the changing pad (actually my bed pad) on the bed. Then I diaper myself when laying back. So I suppose I do this both ways. During the day I again prefer to use my own personal office and bathroom. At that point I usually stand up when changing.

In public? I hate public bathrooms but sometimes you have to (a really soaked diaper and a chance of a leak). Typically I don't carry a backpack with the supplies I need. I do have an emergency pack in my car but I know ~ how long I'll be out. So I try to be wearing the right type of diaper I wear (always a quality disposable, booster, plastic pant and compression shorts or a pocket diaper and inserts). Rarely do I need to change in public.

Sometimes my partner is here during the weekend and she likes to change me before we go to bed (never in the morning because I normally have a loaded diaper while sleeping). In the beginning I never let her change me but now I'm comfortable with it (and I admit I like that too). She likes to lay the changing pad (my bed pad) and get me lying back on the diaper. Then she spreads my butt (and my privates) with ointment and diaper me. Being a capable adult I usually don't like that. But there's something about having diapered me and makes me feel like a kid. Much like what my mom (the Galway Girl) did.

So which way for changing yourself? Changing pad on a table or the bed? Or do you change standing up? And why?

Reactions: Neroforte, Geckoberry, SDB2014 and 2 others
I always change my diaper standing up

Reactions: diapeybabybrian, TenaciousDL, Neroforte and 4 others
MrDiaperLoverUK said:
I always change my diaper standing up
I do the same.

Reactions: Freddie07601, Incon97, Edgewater and 1 other person
Sorry. My bad. Wrong forum. Will move it.

Reactions: Edgewater
My little side loves an on-the-back change, and that's how I start off my day, but although I work from home, I'm usually not near the bedroom. Also, after making the bed, I'd rather not mess it up and have to fix it. :)

Most of my changes are a combination of sitting and standing. The norm for me is a pinned cloth diaper. I've worked out just how to lie it on my chair so that I can sit down on it and pin it right up with a minimum of scooting around. I stand up after that, pull up the cover, and make any necessary tweaks to my pin job. I'm a little less practiced at taping up disposables while sitting, but I'm getting there. Often I'll just stand against a door though.

I used to lay on a changing pad on the bed. These days it’s either just lying down on a bed or standing. I’m very good at changing while standing, no need to lean against anything. Maybe one of these days I’ll create a post on it.

Last edited:
I prefer to stand up to change. It’s easier for me that way.

Old age has set in and I commonly like to stand and lean against the wall to provide stability while setting tabs or pinning a cloth diaper into place. From time to time, my dear wife will change me and that starts with me laying down on a changing pad on the bed and will continue from there. :rolleyes:

When diapering myself, I do so standing; when being diapered by someone else, it is done lying down. I’ve mentioned this before in another thread but I read somewhere that diapering should be done in the position you will be in most while wearing it. So, standing if you’ll be on your feet, walking around and lying down if you’re going to sleep. Not quite sure about sitting though, as getting diapered in a seated position has never proven effective for me the one or two times I’ve tried it.

Reactions: 247 and Edgewater
Usually i do it standing against a corner, only exception is when i lie down (due to a crash) during the day, i will diaper on my bed in that case, because standing is difficult at that time, i am not using a pad though, my mattress protection is enough.

Almost always standing, regardless of where I am. It's just eaiser and faster to get things lined up. I will on occastion change laying down, but not very often. I usually find I need to adjust the fit after that. On the rare occasions my wife changes me, it's always laying on a changing pad on the bed. She's good enough at it where I usually just leave it be without adjusting it :)

When putting on a cloth diaper I lie down on the bed so I get the folding right. I put disposables on standing up with my bottom against the edge of a counter or table.

greatlake5 said:
Do you use a changing pad on a table or bed? Or do you simply stand up? I've read this both ways. As an IC adult, I prefer changing at home in my own bathroom. And I stand up when I remove the diaper, clean up and shower (if I had a dirty diaper). And sometimes I dry off after a shower and lay the changing pad (actually my bed pad) on the bed. Then I diaper myself when laying back. So I suppose I do this both ways. During the day I again prefer to use my own personal office and bathroom. At that point I usually stand up when changing.

In public? I hate public bathrooms but sometimes you have to (a really soaked diaper and a chance of a leak). Typically I don't carry a backpack with the supplies I need. I do have an emergency pack in my car but I know ~ how long I'll be out. So I try to be wearing the right type of diaper I wear (always a quality disposable, booster, plastic pant and compression shorts or a pocket diaper and inserts). Rarely do I need to change in public.

Sometimes my partner is here during the weekend and she likes to change me before we go to bed (never in the morning because I normally have a loaded diaper while sleeping). In the beginning I never let her change me but now I'm comfortable with it (and I admit I like that too). She likes to lay the changing pad (my bed pad) and get me lying back on the diaper. Then she spreads my butt (and my privates) with ointment and diaper me. Being a capable adult I usually don't like that. But there's something about having diapered me and makes me feel like a kid. Much like what my mom (the Galway Girl) did.

So which way for changing yourself? Changing pad on a table or the bed? Or do you change standing up? And why?
i have done both laying down and standing up. usually i am changed outside of the gym or being without my wife i will change myself. there is an easy and comfort to being changed. at home it is always laying down on the bed with changing pad underneath. that is the same in hotels and cruise ships. out and about is a mixed bag depending on the situation and conditions. laying down on the tailgate of our SUV. in public rest rooms standing up unless there is a clean adult changing table available. public restrooms are only as clean as those using them and you never know so normally it is standing up.

Reactions: Ashton84 and Edgewater
I have a changing pad on my bed and I use that for changing my cloth diapers and/or plastic pants. If I am wearing a disposable and I am away from home I can usually change standing up in the stall of a public restroom.

Reactions: Floodingpants, Edgewater and (deleted member)
If I'm just wet I'll do it standing and if I did a number 2 I'll lean against a wall and hope everything stays where it should, but if there is a changing table or a seat ill put down a disposable mat and hover over to clean up a messy change

I use a bed to be diapiered

99.9% of my diaper changes are on my bed. It's the easiest and get the best fit

Reactions: Deleted member 39574, Edgewater and drummer1
I change out of my wet diapers in the bedroom and have a fresh diaper on my bed to get the best fit. I take off my poopy diapers in the shower and clean up with a detachable shower head. After the cleanup, I go to the bedroom where I have a fresh diaper ready to go. The system seems to work best for me.

Reactions: Dry247 and Edgewater
Standing. It not only is easier, but I also get a snugger diaper fit.

--John

Reactions: Deleted member 69135 and Edgewater
I put on my cloth diaper lying down because it needs to be folded "just so" to be pinned on properly and I can't do that standing. But 71-year-old toddler that I am I find it hard to bend that way; I get as snug a fit as I need standing up; and I use plastic pants to be sure it stays where it belongs.

Reactions: Floodingpants and Edgewater
Back