Do you think melatonin leads to bedwetting?

I have been taking it occasionally. I'm not a bedwetter but I do leak through the night from BPH. I would say I'm slightly more wet or damp when I take it.

Yikes I take 30mg every night

daylight said:
So, I am not sure what the question is, just a comment?

If you are wanting to stop bedwetting, try a couple weeks without melatonin, and see if it changes anything.
Is there a positive correlation between bed wetting and melatonin is the question.

I don’t think melatonin causes bed wetting. But if you are a bedwetter, it will cause you to sleep deeper and more soundly. In my case, I do wake up periodically from time to time and use the toilet at night, even though my diaper will still probably be wet in the morning. I’m taking melatonin I don’t wake up, which leads too much wet diapers in the morning.

UnderTheRadar said:

Damn . . . that's a lot.

You might try to cut down to 10 mg and add something else on top, like magnolia bark and/or valerian root.

UnderTheRadar said:
30???!!! Are you sure it's not 3?

I've been taking it almost every night for a year and I haven't noticed any change in
bedwetting frequency because of it. (is it really bedwetting if you're diapered?)

arctic said:
Damn . . . that's a lot.

You might try to cut down to 10 mg and add something else on top, like magnolia bark and/or valerian root.
Or stay at 30mg and add a 🍻 or two

UnderTheRadar said:
Or stay at 30mg and add a 🍻 or two
Coping with beer is a terrible idea

Reactions: AUG168
iampadded said:
I don’t think melatonin causes bed wetting. But if you are a bedwetter, it will cause you to sleep deeper and more soundly. In my case, I do wake up periodically from time to time and use the toilet at night, even though my diaper will still probably be wet in the morning. I’m taking melatonin I don’t wake up, which leads too much wet diapers in the morning.
Yeah I always wet the bed if I sleep too hard and I don't ever wake up on melatonin

Interesting discussion. My own experience with melatonin is evolving. I find it extremely effective, and for me it's kind of addicting. One issue is the fact that the doses really vary by brand. I bought one brand it knocked me out like much heavier stuff. In the morning I awoke confused (and almost wet) and found that the pills were 12mg. I tossed those ones and went back to the 3mg. But with that said, I'm going to try to taper off as I would be more comfortable using no substances to help me get to sleep. I do worry it's not going to be super easy though.

I take 10 mg melatonin ,15 mg mirtazpine & 60 mg of Temazepam before bed it has no discernable impact on my incontinence I am wet and messy every morning regardless on amount of sleep or lack of .

GoodniteQueen said:
Coping with beer is a terrible idea
It's relaxing... Never been an issue

UnderTheRadar said:
It's relaxing... Never been an issue
I thought you were coping not unwinding I apologize.

Reactions: UnderTheRadar
GoodniteQueen said:
I thought you were coping not unwinding I apologize.
Oh it's all good. No offense taken. I should have been more clear. ;)

Tenawearer said:
Is there a positive correlation between bed wetting and melatonin is the question.
It is suppose to help with your sleep rhythm to help in falling asleep, it is not believed to be a sleep aide or sedation. So, it does help in falling asleep.

UnderTheRadar said:
If you're taking 30, I'd say it's likely time to cut back. Needing that much is a sign that you've been taking far too much, for far too long. Even when my old doctor recommended it, he was adamant that you needed to take a break from it at least once a week, preferably more, and he only had me on 5 mg. Maybe I had a bad batch, but that 5 mg caused me severe eye problems.

The 10 mg tablets generally say take one. The 5 mg tablets often say the same thing, actually. Overdoses are very much a thing, and can happen when you don't expect it, since melatonin supplements may contain as much as 500% of what they claim to contain, as well as other things that aren't even supposed to be there. They might not even have melatonin at all. Some contain only CBD. Welcome to the unregulated world of supplements.

Here's a smattering of articles on the subject:

I mentioned earlier that I was just reading about melatonin overdoses... A couple of the many articles written following the release of a particular study:

This Reddit thread contains some useful stuff. Reddit itself is obviously not a reliable source, but there are some good tidbits in here.

The thread:

A particularly well-informed and well-sourced comment:

The articles that comment links to as sources:

Oh, my. I was not expecting the Reddit stuff to embed like that.

Last edited:
It might not do so directly but since melatonin makes you sleep harder I guess it's possible.

Back