Do you think melatonin leads to bedwetting?

princessarya

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
A few years back I began taking melatonin to give me a better night's sleep and I just realized that coincidence or not I had more accidents once I began taking it regularly. Now I'd already been having accidents that had been happening more frequently, so maybe this is just a coincidence. For what it's worth a combination of melatonin and bedwetting have led to some great nights of sleep.

Reactions: Jorelaxed, BuffedBaby and Edgewater
So, I am not sure what the question is, just a comment?

If you are wanting to stop bedwetting, try a couple weeks without melatonin, and see if it changes anything.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and princessarya
If you already had problems with leakage at night, it's probably just a coincidence. I've taken melatonin in gummy form but I always woke up to the urge to urinate.

My wife takes it and when she started wetting more in volume. She was already IC prior to that but she had to move up to a heavier diaper.

Reactions: Edgewater, princessarya and TheGrimmRetails
daylight said:
So, I am not sure what the question is, just a comment?

If you are wanting to stop bedwetting, try a couple weeks without melatonin, and see if it changes anything.
Honestly my desire to sleep through the night outweighs the desire to stop bedwetting especially since I had already started having those issues before I started taking melatonin

Reactions: diapeybabybrian, Edgewater and BuffedBaby
archerstaley said:
My wife takes it and when she started wetting more in volume. She was already IC prior to that but she had to move up to a heavier diaper.
That's pretty much my experience. Like I don't have a measuring cup but if my bedwetting had been one regular wetting, with the pills it's more like 2.

princessarya said:
That's pretty much my experience. Like I don't have a measuring cup but if my bedwetting had been one regular wetting, with the pills it's more like 2.
Yeah. My wife went from just needing a northshore supreme lite to needing a supreme with a booster. Now we wear betterdry and trest diapers.

archerstaley said:
Yeah. My wife went from just needing a northshore supreme lite to needing a supreme with a booster. Now we wear betterdry and trest diapers.
Boosters are a bedsaver. I know that's their job, but it always surprises me just how much more a diaper will hold with one.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Edgewater and BuffedBaby
For me yes, I wet more when I sleep deeper and Melatonin makes that happen

Interesting 🤔

Melatonin can lead to longer periods of REM sleep, so it may be a factor in bed wetting. For me it makes my dreams a lot more vivid, however I had to stop taking it cause I would wake up 4 hours after going to bed, and had difficulty falling back asleep.

As a side note, it's worth noting that melatonin should be used sparingly. The problems with it are twofold, both in terms of becoming dependent on it and not being able to sleep without it, as well as adapting to it, and having it lose its effectiveness. I don't even want to think about the possibility of having both happen at the same time (can't sleep with it and can't sleep without it). It's not well-studied, and it's not regulated in the US, either, due to it being sold as a supplement. It is also very possible to overdose on it. It was just making headlines this week, about how melatonin overdoses are skyrocketing, particularly in kids who've gotten their hands on their parents' melatonin. Due to its being sold as a supplement, it's not required to have child-resistant caps. Just because it's sold as a supplement, doesn't mean that it doesn't have risks. I've had bad experiences with it, myself.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater
I avoid supplements!! Far too many issues with them causing more problems than what they claim to solve!
Anything, that may result in a deeper sleep can result in wetting! Just ask those that drink too much and find themselves in a pool of urine!

Unfortunately, it's become very normalized for parents to give kids melatonin on a regular basis, and to take it themselves. With kids, it seems to largely be done for the convenience of the parents, so they can have an early evening to themselves, or a relaxing afternoon while the kids nap (this is particularly bad...it shouldn't be used mid-day; I'm sure the kids are being woken up for dinner before the melatonin has worn off, which means these parents are training these kids' bodies to fight the effects of melatonin, and it will come back to bite them), but it just pays no attention to the long-term impacts...

Melatonin is a hormone, it is indeed produced by the body, and I don't know of any other hormone that we are so willingly eager to fiddle around with. Hormones are very tricky things, and it's why hormone therapies are generally prescription-only. The very idea of people self-dosing with any hormone at all gives me the heebie-jeebies. Melatonin is indeed the sleep hormone, the one and only sleep hormone that I'm aware of (it's entirely possible there's something I'm unaware of, but...even then, it would all still be part of a carefully-balanced system), and if you screw around with that and your body develops a resistance to it? You're just plain out of luck. I hope you enjoy not sleeping. My mom's been taking melatonin fairly regularly lately, and now, practically any night that she doesn't take it, she wakes up at 3 or 4 AM.

An actual inability to sleep, in an adult or a child, is a symptom of something, and just downing melatonin isn't going to fix that. It's a band-aid, and isn't a long-term solution.

Last edited:
  • Love
Edgewater said:
I avoid supplements!! Far too many issues with them causing more problems than what they claim to solve!
Anything, that may result in a deeper sleep can result in wetting! Just ask those that drink too much and find themselves in a pool of urine!
Urine, or worse... My driver's ed class had a segment on the consequences of drinking too much, and without warning, they went and showed a bunch of minors an image of a drunk person, passed out on the couch, covered in...not urine. Got the point across, but...still not sure that was a wise choice. Or a legally sound one. It definitely made an impression on the kids, though.

Last edited:
I think I wet when I take lorazepan.....Usually I wear protection to bed. I also have a urinal beside the bed. It seems about half the time I am aware of the need to 'p'//// but not with adivan.

I had sleep problems for years, used everything i could get hands on, light stuff like GABA, but also sleeping drugs, never had problems.

When my incontinence started, taking Diphenhydraminhydrochlorid made me wet the bed sometimes, so i started wearing diapers at night when taking them. Melatonin (5mg) helps my as well, but without that side effect of bed wetting. So for me it is a "no".

For now i can go along without anything, i think there is a correlation to my reduced histamine intake, but i can not proof that.

Reactions: princessarya
I took it for years when I worked third shift. Never noticed that side effect.

Reactions: princessarya
Reading the side effects, night time incontinence, as it was stated, is a less common side effect for melatonin. I came across that side effect as well as others that were the less common effects, on several websites.

Remington1911 said:
Reading the side effects, night time incontinence, as it was stated, is a less common side effect for melatonin. I came across that side effect as well as others that were the less common effects, on several websites.
Really? I will look that up, interesting.

Back