Do you need to lay down to change?

PrincessLittleBear said:
Hi all!

I'm brand new to the world of adult diapers! I have experience with pull-ups (store bought depends and incontrol's felicity pullup), and I am drawn to the cute prints available for diapers.

So, my question is, can you put a diaper on standing up, or do you need to lay down to change? Thanks so much!
I might be in the minority here, but l've always managed a better fit by leaning against the wall to change.

Reactions: dl015, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
Tetra said:
I basiclcally don’t have function below my chin so I can’t participate in diaper changes it’s done by my aide in bed so she can manipulate my body to “coperate” in cleaning and changing dressing etc once I am changed she puts me back in my wheelchair positions and safely restrains me till it’s time to do it again . Between wet /messy I am changed about 9 X’s a day .
I'm sorry to hear of your challenges, but glad you seem to be keeping your chin up about it all. Thank you for the difficult and dangerous services you provided when you could.

I see you like the Tranquility ATNs, too....hard to beat for quality and value!

Last edited:
Reactions: littledub1955 and Diprs2
Babybub said:
I started laying down putting my diaper on but now stand to put my diaper on now. Far eaiser. Do bottom tapes first then top tapes.
I never thought about that. I've always done the top tapes first to get things in position, then carefully do the leg tapes to make as close to a perfect seal as possible.

Reactions: Diprs2
I lay down when at home or in a hotel. When staying on my boat, I usually take a shower in the shower house and put on my night diaper there and that would be standing up.
Same when flying transatlantic. Standing up in the lavatory to put on my diaper before going to sleep for a few hours.

Reactions: LittleTyke, Diprs2 and BobbiSueEllen
I definitely prefer to diaper myself lying down (on my back). However, if I need to do it in a public bathroom or similar, I can do it standing up against a wall. This may pose a challenge with the optional booster pad, though.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I prefer laying down because it helps my little space be more little I don’t like it when my daddy stands me up to change

I can do either, but I usually do it standing because I get a better fit that way.

When my partner changes me, he prefers to have me lie down, because it’s easier for him. Sometimes I’ll stand to be changed, though. It just depends on the specifics - where we are, whether we need to be in a hurry, etc.

I usually prefer diapering myself lying down on my bed. I can do everything together tighter. In the morning, I get up very early before my wife I get my shower, shave, etc. done before I head to work. To put my diaper on I stand and lean back against the sink counter to hold the diaper up while I am taping it on and then pull on my plastic pants. I then finish dressing for work.

I prefer laying down when possible, preferably in the floor - in the living room with the tv on :)

I have a changing table (repurposed folding massage table with head cradle removed - throw a kids twin bed sheet on it, and boom instant changing table that can be put away in a closet for $150 bucks) My sitter has a bad knee so she can't do the floor so the changing table works for that situation.

When out and about on my own I change standing up, yuck! But I will use an adult changing table if I am at a place that offers one (a lot of airports these days, rest areas in florida and tennesse, a lot of family venues and amusment parks etc)

I don't do the bed or a couch as those surfaces are too soft and make it hard to change on.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and BobbiSueEllen
redprtodd said:
I have a changing table (repurposed folding massage table with head cradle removed - throw a kids twin bed sheet on it, and boom instant changing table that can be put away in a closet for $150 bucks) My sitter has a bad knee so she can't do the floor so the changing table works for that situation.
I knew a female AB who had a used medical exam table for a changing table: feet in the stirrups, bottom up, easy-peasy.

Reactions: littledub1955, PadPhilosopher, LittleTyke and 2 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
I knew a female AB who had a used medical exam table for a changing table: feet in the stirrups, bottom up, easy-peasy.
That's awesome!

About 10/15 years ago there was a changing table for sale online called the EZ-Change. It appeared to be marketed to schools, special needs daycares, etc for changing special needs kids and adults. The videos they had of it operating - it looked super neat, but it was clearly a made in someones garage prototype. It pivoted horizontal to vertical - and when it was vertical it had a seat which you would transfer the changee to (or ostebsibly have them sit down themselves if they were capable) The legs of the seat had stirrupy type cuffs with velcro to secure their calves to. You would then pivot the table to horizontal and the person would be on their back, the seat would drop away and the changee would be hoisted up by their legs (almost like lifting a toddler by their ankles) Giving you access to change them, slip a new diaper under them etc. The demo video showed a very petite small woman help a kid transfer to the table and 'change' him with real ease. The leg cuffs and stirrups were constructed from PVC pipe - and they had applied for a patent (I have had no luck turning up the application either) - I really feel had they have had a more professional web presence (the site was very geocities for anyone who might remember what that means) and the product clearly looked homemade instead of like a real piece of medical equipment - had they have had a better more polished presentation I believe the would have met with much better success. I have a picture from their website which was some of the only media preserved (the internet archive / wayback machine sadly did not capture the flash video and flash photo gallery - which might have given more clues on how to reconstruct one)

The company sold both the plans and completed tables, and I have searched and searched hoping to find them, as I think there are a lot of us would like such a contraption, that gave the whole being hoisted up by the ankles experience.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, LittleTyke and BobbiSueEllen
Since I can't stand unaided I have to change myself lying down, normally on my bed but on the floor if necessary

I prefer to lay down to change, I feel I can get a better fit but I have changed standing and sitting as well.

Reactions: littledub1955 and Babybub
redprtodd said:
That's awesome!

About 10/15 years ago there was a changing table for sale online called the EZ-Change. It appeared to be marketed to schools, special needs daycares, etc for changing special needs kids and adults. The videos they had of it operating - it looked super neat, but it was clearly a made in someones garage prototype. It pivoted horizontal to vertical - and when it was vertical it had a seat which you would transfer the changee to (or ostebsibly have them sit down themselves if they were capable) The legs of the seat had stirrupy type cuffs with velcro to secure their calves to. You would then pivot the table to horizontal and the person would be on their back, the seat would drop away and the changee would be hoisted up by their legs (almost like lifting a toddler by their ankles) Giving you access to change them, slip a new diaper under them etc. The demo video showed a very petite small woman help a kid transfer to the table and 'change' him with real ease. The leg cuffs and stirrups were constructed from PVC pipe - and they had applied for a patent (I have had no luck turning up the application either) - I really feel had they have had a more professional web presence (the site was very geocities for anyone who might remember what that means) and the product clearly looked homemade instead of like a real piece of medical equipment - had they have had a better more polished presentation I believe the would have met with much better success. I have a picture from their website which was some of the only media preserved (the internet archive / wayback machine sadly did not capture the flash video and flash photo gallery - which might have given more clues on how to reconstruct one)

The company sold both the plans and completed tables, and I have searched and searched hoping to find them, as I think there are a lot of us would like such a contraption, that gave the whole being hoisted up by the ankles experience.
There are people here (including myself) who could probably recreate it from a couple of pictures, but to make them to sell might get into muddy intellectual property waters.

• Thinking
Cottontail said:
Welcome, @PrincessLittleBear! I love being on my back for changes, probably because I can remember being diapered like that when I was little. It's like roleplaying as my actual three-year-old self! But there are times when it's not convenient for me to lie down, and then I'll change either standing or sitting. I actually do most of my changes while sitting at my desk in my home office. It takes some practice to know exactly how to place the diaper on a chair and how to sit on it, but for me it works very well. I'm also usually wearing old-school cloth diapers with pins, and pinning a prefold while standing is quite tricky!
I wear contour cotton diapers that I pin on and I found out that by pinning on the side that will be on my left side when on first because I'm right handed makes it very easy to pin the other side weather I'm sitting or standing. I simply put my left leg through the first leg opening I created and pull it up and then wrap the back wing around pulling it over the front wing and pin them together pinning the front part first. When I need to do number two I simply unpin one side and pull my diaper down. Hope you find this useful. Oh yeah. Happy Easter to you too.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Cottontail and BobbiSueEllen
littledub1955 said:
I wear contour cotton diapers that I pin on and I found out that by pinning on the side that will be on my left side when on first because I'm right handed makes it very easy to pin the other side weather I'm sitting or standing. I simply put my left leg through the first leg opening I created and pull it up and then wrap the back wing around pulling it over the front wing and pin them together pinning the front part first. When I need to do number two I simply unpin one side and pull my diaper down. Hope you find this useful. Oh yeah. Happy Easter to you too.
littledub1955 said:
I don't know if this technich will work for prefolds though but it might

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Cottontail and BobbiSueEllen
I've been IC since the beginning and as an adult, I'm pretty good as changing myself standing up. Every once in a while I'll do this before getting ready for bed and lay down diapering myself. When my partner is here sometimes she'll lay me down and change me. It remembers me when I was diapered by my mom (and older sister, babysitters or teacher aides). Standing up is easier, especially when there is a dirty diaper change.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I do everything standing up.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
PrincessLittleBear said:
Hi all!

I'm brand new to the world of adult diapers! I have experience with pull-ups (store bought depends and incontrol's felicity pullup), and I am drawn to the cute prints available for diapers.

So, my question is, can you put a diaper on standing up, or do you need to lay down to change? Thanks so much!
It’s really up to personal preference. I prefer to lay down because I find it easier, but every now and then I have instances where I need to change standing up. I’d encourage you to try both and see which one suits you best.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
Back