Changing your own diaper as a kid

After around age 6 I was expected to, and perfectly able, put on my own diaper. Now I did not wear diapers after age 4, because of course I don't need diapers, I'm a big boy now.

So how do I know? There might have been some minor accidents now and then, like, almost every day. So, on some occasions, in retrospect surprisingly rare, a diaper was presented, for me to wear. I was left alone to deal with it, no help, no forcing. And somehow, mom knew I would have no problem putting it on. Which was true.

One day, I got the idea of playing "little" and wearing a diaper. So I asked mom for a diaper to wear. And got one. A cloth diaper, rectangular, with those plastic tie-on covers, which is quite tricky to fasten compared to a typical more modern tape-on. I had no problem getting it on perfectly, it fit me very well. So, at age 6 or so, a reasonably normal child should definitely be able to handle putting on a diaper with no help.

Now, if this were to happen in more inconvenient locations, say the diaper had to be put on while standing, then perhaps a helping hand could be useful. Other than that, I find stories about parents diapering "children" above age 9-10 or so actually a bit creepy.

Reactions: DinoFrant
I only wet the bed so not really any "changes", but I definitely put my own pull-ups on for bed though? Mom helped me dress until a normal age where I could do it myself probably 4 or 5ish but after that I always did it myself when getting ready for bed and putting on pajamas?

When I had to switch from pull-ups to a small adult diaper when I was too big for pull ups was the only other time that I embarrassingly remember being shown how to put a diaper on myself but after that one demo and a lot of trial and error and leaks that week, I did it myself and never needed help and pretty much managed things myself other than laundry when leaks happened.

I learned to diaper myself when I was 4 by replicating my mom´s motions when changing my baby brother´s diapers. I´ve taped up every single diaper I´ve got to wear ever since.

LittleScotty said:
I wore nappies and pull ups until I was 10 years old. At home I generally wore pull ups between the ages of 6 to 10 and I would change myself but my Mum would often check and prompt me to do so. If we went out and travelled anywhere I'd wear a nappy which my Mum would put me in. Whilst out she'd ask me if I needed the toilet and there would always be scheduled toilet stops if we were travelling significant distance by car.
If she asked me if I was wet and needed changing and I'd mostly just lie to her to avoid having my nappy changed anywhere but more often than not she'd take me into a changing room to check which I hated.
What kind of nappies did she use? What were changes like when y'all were out? Did she use the changing table?

Had younger bros still in nappies and I was quite small and a kid so was still in pampers till 10 and we would have our nappies changed together before bed from secondary school I wore drynites and then mostly changed them myself

Wow, so interesting to hear people's stories. When I was under age 11, I wet the bed regularly if not every night, and I would have accidents during the day. The accidents were investigated by doctors but no cause was ever found. I had difficulty holding in urine for long periods, but I was too lazy or engrossed in play and would just wet myself sometimes. I was looked after by my parents but more often my grandparents. My Bamp (grandfather) would let me wear nappies during the day and put me in nappies when I was at his house if I asked, which I did, so half the time I was in nappies during the day and night. When I was 10 my stepdad at the time decided to put a stop to it and took away my nappies and kept waking multiple times a night to pee. It was really traumatic and horrible actually. At 11 my mum and stepdad divorced and I moved in full time with my grandparents. The whole thing had made me very self-conscious about nappies, and I was now too shy to ask to put them on, so stole my sister's (who was five and wore them at night.) So it was age 11 I started putting my own nappies on, not just to avoid waking up in a wet and cold bed, but because I liked wearing them as I always had since I could remember. Stealing my sister's nappies went on for a few years until she stopped bedwetting, and then I would buy Drynites with my pocket money from the local shops, which took plucking up a ton of courage but nobody ever blinked an eyelid. I had prepared this whole spiel about how my mum had asked me to go fetch some for my little brother, but never had to tell the tale. In these years I was often without nappies, if I didn't have money, or couldn't feasibly get to the shops (13-18.) At 18 I went to uni and wore Drynites, although I was so skinny I could still fit into Pampers. By my mid twenties I started gaining weight and also decided to try and give up nappies. It lasted for a year or two, with several wet beds, and then I wanted to wear nappies more and more, and bought Drynites again but now they didn't fit. So then I found ABDL nappies, and now Tena Slip Maxi to wear during the daytime out and about, which are more discreet, as I have decided to wear nappies full time, as I feel much less anxious (as anxiety about wetting myself in public was becoming a problem due to the occassional urge incontinence I've been having) and also I just generally feel happier and less anxious and less tense in a nappy, so I want to wear them all the time. So that's my story. I've never let anyone change me or put a nappy on me as a grown up, although it might be a nice experience I don't know. The last time someone else put a nappy on me, I was 10.

Attended special need residential school and wore until my 15th birthday. Never wore at home, but was never allowed to change myself at school. On the one occasion I did change myself, was severely punished for it.

Greatwarrior00 said:
What kind of nappies did she use? What were changes like when y'all were out? Did she use the changing table?
I was a Pampers kid for nappies which were mostly for travelling. I generally wore Huggies Pull Ups at home. It was the 90's.
When travelling we'd stop at most motorway service stations. I'd be changed in the changing room and on the changing table if one was present. If not it was done standing up. I hated being changed when we were out. I'd usually just lie about being wet and hope my Mum wouldn't check. Sometimes she didn't and we got to our destination and I'd either be changed there or handed a Pull Up to put on myself.

Jg21101 said:
Had younger bros still in nappies and I was quite small and a kid so was still in pampers till 10 and we would have our nappies changed together before bed from secondary school I wore drynites and then mostly changed them myself
Same here... i wet the bed pretty much every night till i was 7 and with a younger brother still in diapers too, mom just insisted on doing diapers changes for both of us together. i think around 6 or 7 i knew how to put them on but wasn't allowed.

Back