Changing your own diaper as a kid

Nopenope999

Popeye
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Was anyone able to change their own diaper as a kid, more a question for those who wore longer than normal?

Reactions: Canadianfalls
I wasn't allowed to change my diapers myself. My mother only had cloth diapers she pinned on me. As I got older in my teens she used 3-4 diapers folded together and pinned them on me. I wore Gerber baby pants over my diapers. My mother didn't think I could do it myself so she diapered me until I stopped wetting my bed when I was 17.

Reactions: Diaperpee8
I have never been allowed to change my own. Moms rule has always been if you need diapers your not allowed to change them yourself.

Reactions: Diaperpee8, Rezzu, Lyric and 2 others
Yea, but only after a looong while. I was for sure able to do it myself, but my aunt had trust issues. At night, if I woke up, I would change myself.

Last edited:
Starting at about 7 years old, I was taught and responsible for changing my diaper at lunchtime in school. It was a small under staffed country school so changing myself was a condition of attending that school. I remember the teacher snuggling up the cloth diaper many times but over time, I got proficient at it. My mother did the changes at home for a little while after that but soon. I was on my own.
I tend to block most of my childhood out because of the emotional trauma I endured for YEARS!

Reactions: Kirisin and theancientmariner
I started changing myself around age three and was in daily diapers until seven and frequently in diapers until thirteen.

I stopped wearing diapers after potting training around 2 or 3 years old.

I started to wet the bed around 9 years old and continued until I was 12.

During this time, I put on and took off my diapers without the help of anyone else. When I started to wet the bed, my parents would ask me if I had my diaper on but other than that, they didn't do anything.

• Wow
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy
before I was potty trained, no. I have not had my diaper changed by anyone but myself since potty training - about age 3.

The only time I was able to change my own diaper as a kid is if I wearing Goodnites

I started changing my own diapers at about the age of 9

My mom or my special education teacher or school nurse would change me during the day until I was 6 or 7. When I was 8 I started wearing goodnites so I changed my self

Bryle said:
I have never been allowed to change my own. Moms rule has always been if you need diapers your not allowed to change them yourself.
Our moms were so right about that, much better to have someone diaper us than have to do it ourselves, especially when we still live with our parents. My mom was just very protective.

Being quite old and wore complicated tie on plastic pants, well they were complicated to me, I never managed to tie them on so my mother did that as long as I needed them. Probably until I was 10-11 but only sporadically for bedwetting and sometimes travelling. My bigger Sister wore the same until she was 17, from what I remember she could change herself but mom sometimes helped her to tie the pretty bows on the plastic pants. That type of diaper and plastic tie on pants looked really cute on her and she hated that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie07601 and Lyric
I wet the bed til I was 6 and was changed into terry nappies and waterproof pants by our nanny when changing to go to bed. My younger siblings were all dry before me. I started wetting the bed again aged 10/11 when away at boarding school and along with the other bed wetters would have to report to our matron before going to bed to change into terry nappy pants and waterproof pants.

Reactions: Brumas94
I have a helicopter mom I wore till I was 17 and she always put on my nighttime diaper and 1st diaper after leaving the house, after that when I when I was about 12 I'd starting changing myself when out, I was too old for hert to take me to the women's room and I didn't want her changing me on the tailgate of the car...

• Wow
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy and Lyric
I wore nappies and pull ups until I was 10 years old. At home I generally wore pull ups between the ages of 6 to 10 and I would change myself but my Mum would often check and prompt me to do so. If we went out and travelled anywhere I'd wear a nappy which my Mum would put me in. Whilst out she'd ask me if I needed the toilet and there would always be scheduled toilet stops if we were travelling significant distance by car.
If she asked me if I was wet and needed changing and I'd mostly just lie to her to avoid having my nappy changed anywhere but more often than not she'd take me into a changing room to check which I hated.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy
I potty trained pretty late at 5 years old, nearly right before starting kindergarten. I wet the bed right into my teenage years and I've almost always taken care of my own diapering. Even when I was 5-6 years old and still wearing pampers baby dry to bed. I'm not sure if my mom taught me to diaper myself or if I figured it out on my own, it's too long ago to say for sure. The only time I remember having my diaper changed for bed was when my dad was trying different youth-sized adult diapers on me after I started getting too big for pampers. Then I was eventually switched to goodnites sometime in the late 90s and those were no problem putting on myself, but mom made sure they were on before I went to sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: southeastlittle
When I went back to nappies in my teens because I still wet the bed more or less every night I was expected to deal with them my self.

Reactions: bedwetterdavid
I've been profoundly IC since the beginning. Looking back I admit that I did enjoy the attention but I also liked being independent too. Like most of the IC members, our moms changed us until we became better with our own care. I was around 8 when I was finally allowed. Of course my mom always
supervised. When I was younger I had others who changed me. My older sister, babysitters and teacher aides too. I think I finally rebelled against changing when I was almost 9. Of course I wasn't really good enough at taking care of myself. My mom still diapered me when I was getting ready for nighttime when I was almost 10. Now as an adult, I change my diaper almost all of them. My partner wanted to help with changing me. I resisted that for a while until I finally let her. But only when we get ready for bedtime (wet diapers only). I've never let her change a dirty diaper (too embarrassing).
Odor wasn't really a problem (chlorophyll).

Yeah after about age 5 or so I'd put my own diaper on before bed, especially when I slept away or so.
Which was rare due to the heavy and frequent bedwetting.
So it was mostly very close friends of grandparents.

Back