Bedwetting running in the family

From the time I was a young kid I was a bed wetter. Have not stopped. I was told by doctors I would out grow it but that never happened. When I turned 18 I decided to go 24\7 after a few major daytime incidents. Glad I made the switch to wearing diapers all the time but there is days where I question my decision. I do have sister that wet the bed til She was about 8 and she stopped .

Reactions: Diprs2
PurpleScorpion said:
Scientifically speaking, the chances of a child wetting the bed for a long period of time depends on if their parents did. There's a big statistical difference between bedwetters with no bedwetter parents and those with one bedwetter parent, and a smaller but still big gap between one parent who wet the bed and both having done so.

So, if you wet the bed, can you confirm if your parents did? Did your siblings?

If you are a parent who wet the bed, do your kids as well?
my Mother was a late bedwetter and didn't stop until her late teens.

I'm the only one out of 4 kids who wet the bed and had to wear diapers at night. I have a 11 year old son who has wets his bed. Also have an 8 year old nephew that wets his bed. Last night I took my son over to my brothers house to spend the night and told my sister in law that he has bedwetting problems and already has his diaper on but might need to be changed before bed. She told me that it was no problem about the bedwetting because her son does it too, but wears goodnites. I told her that my son wears regular youth diapers at night and showed her what the diaper he had on. I also gave her a few just incase. This morning I went over to pick him up and both my son and nephew were in the diapers

Reactions: ryanbailey and Diprs2
When I was experiencing my bed wetting problems both of my parents were quite understanding, my mother especially so, but no mention was ever made of either ever having had bed wetting in their childhood. My mother was an only child, as am I, and my father came from a family of 10, but I never heard of any of his siblings, or my cousins for that matter, ever having difficulty with bed wetting. Of course I grew up in a time when such things weren’t discussed nearly as openly as they are in our current social environment. They never tried to make me feel guilty and were very supportive in dealing with it but I’m afraid that I couldn’t say the same about my “friends”, classmates, and others of that day.

Last edited:
I don't know about my parents or other family members, but I wet the bed until I was in 5th or 6th grade and my younger brother was still wetting his pants during the day until he was maybe 7 or 8. Later in life, my father had continence issues and now my sister also has issues. So I guess it's kind of a family thing.

I wet the bed , my son wet till he was 11 and both his kids wet every night

KrankyPants said:
It does feel isolating being my age and still wetting the bed. I like diapers and everything, but sometimes wish I could just choose to not wear them without worrying about my bed.
My focus and priority are getting myself a long, sound sleep. Although I pee every night and poop many nights, I want to do that with as little disruption to my sleep as possible. In the morning, I will deal with the wreckage—the damage to the bed, if any. Choosing not to wear diapers is not reasonable. My bladder and bowel will empty with little notice. My nursing home roommate also diapers up wetting and pooping in bed. When you feel isolated, you start to feel cut off, withdrawn, and sad about being yourself. Isolation and loneliness can lead to the development of mental illness, such as anxiety, depression, or other forms of mental illness. Please be careful.

From my family I know my mom never struggled with that whilst my dad did for a couple of years in his early childhood. My younger brother did wet the bed almost every night until he was 11 or 12 (thanks to him I had access to 90´s Goodnites).

In my case, however, save for the odd accident every few months/years, I didn´t wet my bed while growing up, but it started out of the blue when I was 30 years old... and it´s still with me at 34.

In my case no - none of my family are bedwetters. So when I became incontinent as a teen due to illness it was almost as hard for them as it was for me. It was really hard at the time because they didn't know how to help me.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

i peed the bed as a kid i wore goodnites

goodnites26 said:
i peed the bed as a kid i wore goodnites
Until what age? How about your siblings or cousins?

Beyond myself, I know that my father and one of my aunts used to, when they were young.

Last edited:
Sidewinder said:
Beyond myself, I know that my father and one of my aunts used to, when they were young.
And at what age did you, your dad and your aunt stop?

iampadded said:
And at what age did you, your dad and your aunt stop?
I'm not sure when it was, when my aunt stopped, but my father stopped when he was 12.

Sidewinder said:
I'm not sure when it was, when my aunt stopped, but my father stopped when he was 12.
And you? Have you stopped?

iampadded said:
And you? Have you stopped?
I stopped when I was 7.

Sidewinder said:
I stopped when I was 7.
Well that would make sense then. Your father stopped as he was going through puberty, you stopped before then. Studies have shown that if you are still wetting on the other side of puberty it will most likely stay with you in some form forever.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2 and Sidewinder
My sister (a year older) wasn't a bedwetter. She was out of diapers by the time she started school. She teased me incessanttly about wetting the bed and wearing a diaper.

All my other siblings wet the bed until at least 10 years old and most of them until they were teenagers.

My mother wet the bed regularly until she was a teenager. She still wet a few times a year when she was an adult.

I don't think my dad was a bedwetter, but his mother wore a diaper and rubber pant every night.

Reactions: Diprs2 and goodnites26
@rio20090 Love the avatar. Looks like it's out of an old Sears catalog!

Back