Bedwetters: How do you protect your bed

We used to have a vinyl fitted mattress cover but it made me too hot at night. A good nighttime diaper with good plastic/rubber pants works. I have found that the higher the pants sit on my waist the better. Also, the bloomer styled plastic pants provide total security from leaks. I love a wet diaper but a dry bed.

Reactions: vaslav, MegaLugia and SDB2014
I have a pretty good mattress and a feather topper, I use two mattress covers over both to keep them from moving and snug, and then a Northshore pad under my fitted sheet. I use MM at nite with PUL so I rarely have any issues - but on that off chance I do leak I know it won't soak to the core.

That
ksboy71 said:
I have a pretty good mattress and a feather topper, I use two mattress covers over both to keep them from moving and snug, and then a Northshore pad under my fitted sheet. I use MM at nite with PUL so I rarely have any issues - but on that off chance I do leak I know it won't soak to the core.
might be the answer to my protectors wicking on the joints. Put one on top of the other. I don't understand why they put a join at the edge and don't just carry the material down the side and only join it on the corners.

Seabear said:
Them cloth mattress protectors don’t work, I think there just to stop sweat. My nappy leaked and I thought oh it’s ok I’ve got a mattress protector but no, a big wet patch on mattress 🙁
Cloth ones won't stop wet. They need to be backed with pvc. But even pvc will leak on the edge seam. The towelling material draws the wet to the join and then through the join on the matress. Same with pillow protectors. The protector draws the wet up, through the seam and onto a pillow. Use less if you don't wear a diaper and are too heavy wet for a pad. Or vice versa.

I use reusable bed pads but also have a mattress protector. It was a expensive mattress protector with cloth like top and soft plastic under it so you don't feel like you are laying on plastic. But the 36x36 reusable bed pads I have a lot of them like about 25 or 30. My insurance lets me spend 300 every 3 months on medical supplies that they have. Their diapers suck but they have those nice reusable pads for 10 bucks each So I load up 5 or so every time I order. I also get a few bags of chuck pads but the don't stay put when tossing and turning. I only buy them to help with #2 clean up. But the reusable pads are king in my eyes. That and a quality diaper like Mega max and I never really leak to much since I switched to them. I use to use plastic pants but don't need to with the Mega Max diaper.

Reactions: jdinvirginia and Wettiguy
I have 2 natural rubber sheets, alternate them, and store by rolling them up + talcum powder.
But I was surprised how many plastic and plastic & flannel sheets I had in a drawer. This due to travelling widely and often, taking with me one for a single bed and finding a HUGE bed at venue!
So off to a pharmacy and buying a double - and oh well! - better take another when I see one!
Just in case I can't find in UK, where such things are not always on display and one is too shy to ask!

vaslav said:
I have 2 natural rubber sheets, alternate them, and store by rolling them up + talcum powder.
But I was surprised how many plastic and plastic & flannel sheets I had in a drawer. This due to travelling widely and often, taking with me one for a single bed and finding a HUGE bed at venue!
So off to a pharmacy and buying a double - and oh well! - better take another when I see one!
Just in case I can't find in UK, where such things are not always on display and one is too shy to ask!
The problem with plastic mattress protectors is that while there cheap and easy to find they dry out and become brittle and crack after a while. Ive gone through a lot of them over the years. Rubber sheets are much more practical and long lasting.

Wetshisbed said:
That's just what I had to endure from being about 8 or 9 until I was 15. When I finally went back to nappies. My room always smelled strongly of stale urine. My bed was seldom dry for long and I probably stank of pee too as we had no shower and I got a bath once a week.
Those were the days right? I remember just having to deal with wet pjs and sheets in the morning. I didnt even know there were disposable products until I was in my 30s although I started to use cloth diapers for a while after moving out on my own. I was never denied access to a shower though. I remember a girl in school in maybe Grade 7 telling me I smelled like popcorn and another girl corrected her saying I smelled like I peed the bed because her older brother did it too and had the same smell. After that I was conscious to take a shower every day. I was later told that once males hit puberty they start having hormones that make their urine smell a lot stronger so its important to stay clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
High quality plastic/cloth mattress cover and diapers.

I have a mattress cover. There are some amazing quiet ones you can get that are amazing soft and quiet but completely water proof. I also wear diapers if im not in a pullups whenever possible..

Reactions: AJFan2020
I don't do anything special, just the pampers/huggies

I use two washable pads and a mattress cover in case my overnight Kroger Pull Ups leak

mikesecret said:
Das waren noch Zeiten, oder? Ich erinnere mich, dass ich mich morgens nur mit nassen Pyjamas und Laken herumschlagen musste. Bis ich in meinen 30ern war, wusste ich nicht einmal, dass es Wegwerfprodukte gibt, obwohl ich nach meinem Auszug eine Zeit lang angefangen habe, Stoffwindeln zu benutzen. Der Zugang zu einer Dusche wurde mir jedoch nie verwehrt. Ich erinnere mich an ein Mädchen in der Schule, vielleicht in der siebten Klasse, das mir erzählte, dass ich nach Popcorn rieche, und ein anderes Mädchen korrigierte sie und sagte, ich rieche, als hätte ich ins Bett gepinkelt, weil ihr älterer Bruder das auch tat und den gleichen Geruch hatte. Danach war ich mir bewusst, jeden Tag zu duschen. Später wurde mir gesagt, dass Männer, sobald sie in die Pubertät kommen, Hormone haben, die ihren Urin viel stärker riechen lassen, deshalb ist es wichtig, sauber zu bleiben.
Besser ist es sich im Intimbereich zu rasieren.Die vorhandenen Haare halten den Uringeruch fest

Reactions: Deleted member 39574
frank68 said:
Besser ist es sich im Intimbereich zu rasieren.Die vorhandenen Haare halten den Uringeruch fest
Translated online to mean "It is better to shave in the intimate area. The existing hair retains the smell of urine."

I agree with you. When I was younger and in school this wasnt an option. When I got older I started to understand it.

Reactions: JOCKMAN
I use a full fitted vinyl mattress cover under my sheets. Then doubled cloth diapers and plastic pants. Seems to work well.

Wettiguy said:
Cloth ones won't stop wet. They need to be backed with pvc. But even pvc will leak on the edge seam. The towelling material draws the wet to the join and then through the join on the matress. Same with pillow protectors. The protector draws the wet up, through the seam and onto a pillow. Use less if you don't wear a diaper and are too heavy wet for a pad. Or vice versa.
If you don't wear a diaper bedwetting creates its challenges. When I was still bedwetting without a diaper in my teens I was generally wet from my knees up to the pillow in the morning. I believe my mother bought a waterproof pillow protector. If your wearing a diaper though you shouldn't get big leaks that cant be handled by a proper mattress protector or a rubber sheet. If you do get a lot of leakage on the bed your probably wearing the wrong kind of diaper.

Reactions: WBxx and JOCKMAN
Besides wearing diapers & vinyl plastic pants, I sleep on a disposable wetness pad. I also have a waterproof mattress cover. This protects the mattress well enough but, occasionally I still manage to wet the sheets.

DiaperedJeff said:
I use a full fitted vinyl mattress cover under my sheets. Then doubled cloth diapers and plastic pants. Seems to work well.
I recall my fitted mattress cover at age 8; it bunched up each morning as it "came up from the top corner". I was very happy when my mom bought me a full cover, zippered vinyl mattress cover as it stayed on 100% of the time. At age 7 and hardly any accidents at night, it was an economic choice by my parents to not invest further in a better mattress protector that I liked, but at age 8 and slipping back into full nighttime bw challenge, thankfully my mother was understanding about my request to wear a full diaper and plastic underpants again (after an embarrassing sleepover at a friend's house where his mother helped me to wear protective undergarments). So a new full cover mattress cover was invested / bought for me also.

I have pets. A quality mattress pad and a sheet of heavy painter’s drop cloth.

I'm a heavy bedwetter and I use a tape on diaper and plastic pants on myself. On my bed I use a waterproof mattress encasement and a washable bed pad.

Back