LIL GUY
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
  5. Other
Hi! I can’t find anything about this anywhere else online, so please don’t be afraid to weigh in if you have any thoughts

I’ve been thinking about diaper extenders, the ones you use to fit an adult into a baby diaper or even modify one into a pull-up for someone potty-training, and how when a diaper has hook-and-loop tabs, they don’t exactly look or feel like what I think when I hear “velcro.”

The question is… do any of y’all think that kind of crafting velcro would stick to the landing zone of a disposable? I don’t currently have the materials to test and would hate to waste funds on something that doesn’t turn out.

Thanks! <3

Last edited:
Reactions: Cottontail
princeminnow said:
Hi! I can’t find anything about this anywhere else online, so please don’t be afraid to weigh in if you have any thoughts

I’ve been thinking about diaper extenders, the ones you use to fit an adult into a baby diaper or even modify one into a pull-up for someone potty-training, and how when a diaper has hook-and-loop tabs, they don’t exactly look or feel like what I think when I hear “velcro.”

The question is… do any of y’all think that kind of crafting velcro would stick to the landing zone of a disposable? I don’t currently have the materials to test and would hate to waste funds on something that doesn’t turn out.

Thanks! <3

Hiii I haven’t tried that but I don’t think Velcro would stick very well to most landing pads.

What I do is typically use the tabs of the dirty diaper, and attach the tabs of the new diaper to the fuzzy part of the old one’s tabs. It creates a longer waistband

Reactions: princeminnow
Yeah, I don't think the adhesive would stick.

I cut the tabs and landing zones off one then hot melt glue them to some wide elastic to make extenders. Velcro from the craft store does not work. The "Velcro like" tabs and zones from different brands also do not work together unless their from the same parent company like Luvs & Pampers or many store brands. A pair underwear or tight panties over helps keep them up and connected.

Reactions: Cottontail and princeminnow
Nam Repaid said:
I cut the tabs and landing zones off one then hot melt glue them to some wide elastic to make extenders. Velcro from the craft store does not work. The "Velcro like" tabs and zones from different brands also do not work together unless their from the same parent company like Luvs & Pampers or many store brands. A pair underwear or tight panties over helps keep them up and connected.
very clever!! is this a reusable item for more than one diaper or does wear and tear mean it’d be one and done

princeminnow said:
Here's a recipe I posted a while ago. It still works well, but it's Pampers/Luvs-only.

As for Velcro: You'll want the stuff with the finer hook and loop versus the classic type that's often used for clothing and other articles. The classic, low-density hook material doesn't stick well to baby diapers, and neither do baby diaper tabs strongly grab the classic loop material. You might consider getting some Velcro One-Wrap, which has high-density hook on one side and loop on the other. Get the wider stuff, like a one- or two-inch width. By itself, it's almost a diaper extender, except that you don't want the hook side against your skin. After you've cut the right length, apply felt wherever the hook would touch your skin. One-Wrap grabs felt super aggressively. Once it's on there, it ain't comin' off!

• Love
Reactions: babybobby and princeminnow
Cottontail said:
Here's a recipe I posted a while ago. It still works well, but it's Pampers/Luvs-only.

As for Velcro: You'll want the stuff with the finer hook and loop versus the classic type that's often used for clothing and other articles. The classic, low-density hook material doesn't stick well to baby diapers, and neither do baby diaper tabs strongly grab the classic loop material. You might consider getting some Velcro One-Wrap, which has high-density hook on one side and loop on the other. Get the wider stuff, like a one- or two-inch width. By itself, it's almost a diaper extender, except that you don't want the hook side against your skin. After you've cut the right length, apply felt wherever the hook would touch your skin. One-Wrap grabs felt super aggressively. Once it's on there, it ain't comin' off!
oh hey i love your tutorial i’ve sent it to a couple friends over the past year or so actually! the velcro one-wrap concept is ingenious, i’m going to try this and report back. thank you!!

princeminnow said:
the velcro one-wrap concept is ingenious, i’m going to try this and report back. thank you!!
It works! Get the widest stuff you can, both for comfort and for grippy-ness. Sometimes fabric stores only carry the narrower stuff, so you might have to order it. And this kind of thing might go without saying, but when you cut it, be sure to round the corners, at least at the back ends which will be against your skin. Otherwise ouch!

princeminnow said:
very clever!! is this a reusable item for more than one diaper or does wear and tear mean it’d be one and done
They last a long, long time and when the Velcro-like stuff wears out just use a heat gun to melt the glue and glue on some fresh bits. Also I'm currently wearing a cheep adult disposable, boosted, that has no elastic and use a pair of similar double male elastic extenders to keep it tight.

Cottontail said:

I have been using your method for at least a decade now. I have made literally HUNDREDS of them, maybe even over a thousand over the years. I can usually get at least 3-4 uses out of them, and can sometimes get as many as 10 uses out of them. I harvest the fabric cover off of every Pampers I wear, so I have a stockpile of probably 50-60 ready to be made.

While you can only MAKE them from Pampers, they WORK as extenders for ANY Velcro taped diaper. I have easily been able to use my Pampers extenders to wear every size 6, 7, or 8 diaper I have found from any brand. They have seriously been the key to my ability to wear the diapers I want to wear for so many years.

There is also a product called “Covert-Ups” which I have a set. It works very well, but for extended wear, I find the fabric panel is hot, thick, and starts to wick urine over time.

Pull-Ups are the easiest mod though. You can harvest the Velcro-side panels off of Pull-Ups you have already used, or use a couple of “donor” Pull-Ups. Since they are Velcro, you can add panels without any other type of fastener. I personally add two Velcro panels to each side of a pull-up. I usually get 3-4 uses out of a side panel before the Velcro loses its stickiness or the fabric breaks down too much.

I also staple two pull-ups side panels together (see attached photo) to wear smaller sized Goodnites, Ninjamas, Pampers 360, Easy Ups, and other sealed-side Pull-Ups. I split the seam on each side and add in the Velcro panel.

Those are the 3 diaper mods I use to wear pretty much ANY diaper from sizes 6-8, pull up from as small as 3T to 6T, and nighttime diapers size XS, SM, or L. I love being able to wear literally any diaper from any brand, with just three types of extenders. I am 215 lbs, 5’ 8”, 36” waist. I have a smal bladder and wet lightly, so I’ve been able to wear baby diapers, pull-ups, and Goodnites daily for more than 10 years.

Attachments

• IMG_9591.jpeg
    IMG_9591.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: princeminnow and Cottontail
My web site (in the footer of the message) has a step by step with photos of extending Huggies Pull-Ups.

With the exception of Velcro-side pull ups, It seems like pretty much every pull up manufacturer uses heat bonding to hold the pant together. I figured if I wanted to do higher-quality mods, I had to be able to heat bond the sides back together. Hot glue is messy, time consuming, and is uncomfortable and hard when it dries.
So I finally bit the bullet and bought an industrial-style heat bonding machine.

Here are some of my preliminary ideas.
I took a 5T/6T Easy Up, and detached and used the front elastic from two discarded Easy Ups to extend each side.

Using all four panels from a discarded Pull-up, I was able to extend the sides AND have the convenience of the velcro seam.

Using the side tapes from a Tena adult diaper, I was able to make a very sturdy tab extension for a Pampers Swaddlers.

(not pictured) This Machine is perfect for adding a panel to Goodnites that are otherwise too small for me.

I see this machine getting quite a bit of use!!

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0576.jpeg
    IMG_0576.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0577.jpeg
    IMG_0577.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0578.jpeg
    IMG_0578.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0580.jpeg
    IMG_0580.jpeg
    882 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: princeminnow and Cottontail
grst said:
So I finally bit the bullet and bought an industrial-style heat bonding machine.
Can you share what you got? I'm really curious about this kind of thing.

I bought some convertups - been very happy with them.

Cottontail said:
Can you share what you got? I'm really curious about this kind of thing.

I am still tweaking the heat setting depending on the material, and other tweaks. So far the results have been amazing though.

grst said:
https://a.co/d/cZm0uHk
I am still tweaking the heat setting depending on the material, and other tweaks. So far the results have been amazing though.
Thank you! Looks like a fun device. I might not be able to resist. :)

Back