Are you the only bedwetter in your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaredc3 said:
I come from a prolifically bedwetting family. I have always been a bedwetter to some degree, though the frequency of wet mornings reduced significantly just before I turned 13 that I stopped wearing diapers to bed. My next younger brother (2 years younger) wet the bed nightly until he was 14, and also wore diapers to bed for it. We have a TON of cousins (almost exclusively boys) on both sides of the family who wet the bed late into teen years, and as far as I know, they all wore cloth pin-on diapers and pull-over plastic pants to bed like we did. I started bedwetting more frequently again at 21, and soon was back to nightly diapers for nightly bedwetting, and I was not disappointed or upset. :) I realized I had missed it so badly, and my bedwetting and diapers returning was like the return of a long lost friend. My son wet the bed until he was 11 and was in goodnites mostly for it, and continued to have odd wet mornings until 14. I am the only one from my generation that I am aware of that wets the bed and/or wears diapers as an adult. BUT given the massive size of my extended family, and the stats about adult bedwetters--especially those who wet the bed late into their teens and beyond--I have got to believe that there are probably a few if not several other adult bedwetters in my family. I'm just not sure how to ask about it without it being creepy or outing myself in a way that would be awkward... :)
My younger brother was a bedwetter until about 12 years old. I never went the bed beyond normal potty training age but for whatever reason I’ve done it twice in the last year and a half or so. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling a bit wet between my legs but thought nothing of it considering I was living in Florida and it’s always hot. I woke up early for work the next day and it looked like my underwear were a bit wet much more than they would be from sweating, I went back into my bedroom and saw a small dinner plate size the wet spot on the mattress and was totally shocked. The second time after that was almost similar so I don’t know if it truly counts as bedwetting because I was semi-conscience when it happened but it was definitely an experience.

Reactions: Diprs2
I live with my mom and growing up I was the only one out of her three kids with any incontinence issues. I never outgrew bed wetting but my accidents were manageable enough that I could wear pull-ups to bed for a few years when I was a teenager. My dad has a lot more children but I don't know if any of them wet the bed.

DL1989 said:
I mean I don’t really remember leaks from back then to be honest. When you wet your bed all your life unless something embarrassing happens leaks every now and then are a part of life and thus a non event. I do remember that after getting drunk often the next morning would be laundry day. I normally washed all bedding every week anyways so no big deal if it was a Sat night. (Combination of being drunk while putting a diaper on and alcohol causing bladder issues makes for a heavy night with a diaper not put on as well)
Y. Can totally relate to that.

Reactions: DL1989
iampadded said:
Y. Can totally relate to that.
A soaking wet bed was just normal for me after a Saturday night skin full. I remember hearing my Mother talking in the kitchen to her friend after we had all crawled in from the pub. " He is bound to wet the bed as usual" to which her friend replied. If that's all he does does it matter. This would be because her kids were always in trouble. In the grand scheme of things a wet bed wasn't a big deal.

Reactions: Diprs2, Deleted member 39574 and littledub1955
ballyhooser said:
Yes I was the only bedwetter, one older and two younger brothers. My older brother would often threaten to tell my friends not only that I was a bedwetter but I wore diapers for it.
My Sister found it a great source of amusement that her older brother still wet his bed most nights. She made sure it was never any secret.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Deleted member 39574, littledub1955 and 1 other person
Wetshisbed said:
My Sister found it a great source of amusement that her older brother still wet his bed most nights. She made sure it was never any secret.
More than amusement, I'm convinced my big sister wanted me to wet the bed. Remember her secretly giving me a glass of water (against mom’s rules) before bed and in the morning wanting to know.

I wet my bed until I was 17. My two younger sisters wet their beds, one until she was 12 and the other until she 7. None of our cousins wet their beds, in fact, they teased me a lot when I was a teenager and still had to wear diapers and rubber pants. My mother told me when he was a teen that my dad had a bedwetting problem too and was a teenager before he stopped. We had so many diapers and rubber pants hanging around the house that my sisters and I sometimes diapered each other and played around that way.

Babybear2006 said:
I have a aunt who did it and I think one of my cousins did it to. Now I know my niece and nephew also wet at night. My so who is 10 does also and we have him wear a youth diaper at night and goodntes in the day because of his autism
I wish that Goodnites had been available when I was a child and needed daytime protection. Stay Dry Panties weren't easy to manage at school. I am high functioning ASD also. I have needed some form of protection all my life.

abdl86 said:
I was the only bedwetter in my family to or in the close family tree.
I was a teen bedwetter, my brother didn't have any issues. My dad was a teen bed wetter as well

Reactions: Diprs2 and TXbw86
I never wet the bed at home but when i stayed over nite at my friends place the first time i had wet the bed and after that his mom would diaper me and used plastic pants on me and locking pj;s so i couldnt take them but my friend never new is mother double diapered me at night when i stayed stayed over there Then one time when i stayed over there his mom kept me diapers & plastic pants the whole week end and treated me like a little kid for punishment for wetting the bed the first time and not telling her about and just after some time she decided to give me the full the full baby treatment for doing so and had never mentioned to me and had planned on dueind so for quite sometime and never said anything bout it.And she had planned on gary and his dad being gone for the weekend and had gary & his dad were gone. She had phoned my folks and asked them if i could spend the weekend with her because gary& his dad were going to be gone, So my parents said yes and thats what i had to go thru everytime i would stay overnight with my friend and get treated that way and gary never knew this was going on.Gary had lost his brother when he was 5 yrs. old and was a bedwetter so his mom still had his diapers& plastic pants around so it was they had actually fit me for i was small for my size at that time and asked her not to do it but i was to small to fight her and she threatened to tell the neighbor girls that i liked being put in diapers& plastic pants AND wet them. AB/DL this story is very true and it happened back in late 50s and early 60s.

BabyDenise said:
Only one sibling (a younger sister) for me. I wet the bed but she did not.
I very rarely wet the bed growing up and even well into adulthood until I became incontinent but I was the only one of my siblings who had this problem. Since I've been incontinent I frequently wet the bed and during the day I wet myself throughout the day, every day so I have to wear a diaper and plastic pants 24/7 now. So to answer the question, yes, I am the only one who wets the bed in my family. I am the third one born out of six kids and the oldest boy.

Reactions: Diprs2 and sport1
ballyhooser said:
Was one of 4 boys. I was the only bedwetter. Wet virtually every night and had to wear thick pin on cloth diapers with plastic pants for it. I wet, and still do, numerous times a night and even though my diapers were doubled up I would sometimes soak them and my sheets as well so I always had a noisy plastic mattress protector on my bed. Anytime we visited relatives of my parents family friends I knew they knew I was a bedwetter since my designated bed was always bedwetter protected. I tried to ignore the fact everyone knew but it was just the way it was. Yes I would have my diapers put on with pjs over but very clear to everyone my big puffy butt was diapered. One boy cousin of mine had the same problem until about age 10. I felt pretty alone when he stopped wetting at night and he no longer had to be diapered. I was allowed to accept my bedwetting responsibilities when I entered high school at 14 1/2 and stop wearing diapers. I now flooded my bed every night, blankets, pjs, and pillow. My sleep was real poor during this time as I’d wake up soaked, would put towels on my bed, go back to sleep and wake up in the morning having soaked again. I really missed my diapers “ which I didn’t want to admit” but they made my nights better and I had become a dL after having to wear all those years. I developed A blood clot in my knee after injuring it playing football and fortunately it was found before it created a larger problem. Anyway I had surgery for it and was super embarrassed when my mom told them in the hospital I wet and my first of 4 nights there the nurse put me in a diaper. My roommate was a year younger but even though they pulled a curtain between us when I was diapered the sound of being taped into a diaper was very clear. At that time the hospital diapers were crappy and noisy so every time I moved there was no doubt I was a diaper wearing bedwetter. Next mornino having my diapers removed was the same thing as the noisy tapes were removed. The kid in the next bed thought this was all very funny. I tried to laugh it off but really felt like a toddler inside. This was my first experience with disposable diapers as I always used pin on cloth at home

ballyhooser said:
Was one of 4 boys. I was the only bedwetter. Wet virtually every night and had to wear thick pin on cloth diapers with plastic pants for it. I wet, and still do, numerous times a night and even though my diapers were doubled up I would sometimes soak them and my sheets as well so I always had a noisy plastic mattress protector on my bed. Anytime we visited relatives of my parents family friends I knew they knew I was a bedwetter since my designated bed was always bedwetter protected. I tried to ignore the fact everyone knew but it was just the way it was. Yes I would have my diapers put on with pjs over but very clear to everyone my big puffy butt was diapered. One boy cousin of mine had the same problem until about age 10. I felt pretty alone when he stopped wetting at night and he no longer had to be diapered. I was allowed to accept my bedwetting responsibilities when I entered high school at 14 1/2 and stop wearing diapers. I now flooded my bed every night, blankets, pjs, and pillow. My sleep was real poor during this time as I’d wake up soaked, would put towels on my bed, go back to sleep and wake up in the morning having soaked again. I really missed my diapers “ which I didn’t want to admit” but they made my nights better and I had become a dL after having to wear all those years. I developed A blood clot in my knee after injuring it playing football and fortunately it was found before it created a larger problem. Anyway I had surgery for it and was super embarrassed when my mom told them in the hospital I wet and my first of 4 nights there the nurse put me in a diaper. My roommate was a year younger but even though they pulled a curtain between us when I was diapered the sound of being taped into a diaper was very clear. At that time the hospital diapers were crappy and noisy so every time I moved there was no doubt I was a diaper wearing bedwetter. Next mornino having my diapers removed was the same thing as the noisy tapes were removed. The kid in the next bed thought this was all very funny. I tried to laugh it off but really felt like a toddler inside. This was my first experience with disposable diapers as I always used pin on cloth at home.
Do you prefer the cloth diapers or do you prefer the disposables. I wore disposables for two years after becoming incontinent but because I'm a side sleeper I finally tried cloth pin ons with plastic pants and have never really gone back to wearing a disposable. I'll only wear a disposable about once a month now during the day but I wear cotton diapers with plastic pants 24/7 the remainder of the time.

I still wear cloth diapers and plastic pants to bed. Most mornings wake up soaked. Keep a plastic cover on the mattress in case of leaks which happens occasionally.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2 and littledub1955
chamberpot said:
I was the one who wet the bed the longest out of 4 siblings, my father wet the bed on occasions , I have two grandsons who have wet the bed and still wear pull-ups to bed at 12 and 14 and a few nieces and nephews that are wetters so i guess it is somewhat in our family tree ( or bed ).
I believe it runs in families. In our family it was on my fathers side and affected boys more than girls. My parents had seven kids with three boys and four girls. All the boys wet the bed into or beyond puberty and one of our sisters did too. A cousin on my fathers side came to stay with us because of issues in his family when I was in my teens. He was about a year older than me and wet the bed every night. One of my sisters was perplexed because she felt our mother didnt address his bedwetting but was judgy about ours.

nappyphilia said:
I remember I outgrow bedwetting at age 13. My 11 year old sis has the problem too ( I sometimes steals Goodnites from her ; )) Wonder if bedwetting is hereditary.
i do not know if it is hereditary, but my dad is a life long bedwetter also deals with day time issues. for me it is nice know he is as well

I’m the oldest of three boys (4 year spread), and none of us wet the bed regularly after age 3-4. I remember wetting my bed a few times, but it was probably less than once every couple of months and never past age 9-10. Interestingly, I was much more likely to have nighttime accidents when at my grandparents house or lake cabin than at home. The beds there always had plastic mattress covers and I more often woke up in wet PJs. I think that was in large part due to my being afraid of getting out of bed and going to the bathroom in a strange, somewhat scary house (it was upstairs, darker than I was used to, and with creaky floors and doors). Instead, I would try to hold it if I woke up having to pee, and would fall back asleep and then wet in my sleep accidentally.

Two of my cousins did wet regularly until age 8-9…one boy and one girl, but neither were diapered at night past age 3-4 as far as I know. The girl's twin sister was not a bed wetter. In the next generation, one of my four nephews wet regularly until age 11 or 12. My son wet the bed almost every night and was in pullups at night until age 10. We tried an alarm for a while as he wanted to sleep in regular underwear, but it didn't seem to help much and just woke everyone in the house up after the bed was soaked. We just dealt with wet sheets as he slowly began wetting less and less and now at 12 only has 1-2 accidents a month.

I’ve had a few isolated incidents as an adult. On three occasions I have had extremely vivid dreams where I started to pee in the dream and woke up just as I was starting to pee in reality. In all cases, I was able to stop pretty quickly and just had wet underwear and only a small if any wet spot on the sheets. These all came at times I was under a lot of stress, and were each a number of years apart. One other time I woke up having fully wet the bed when sick with flu and a 104F fever.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Luvshugs
Joeysms said:
i do not know if it is hereditary, but my dad is a life long bedwetter also deals with day time issues. for me it is nice know he is as well
I had a great uncle who wet his bed his whole life.

Wetshisbed said:
I had a great uncle who wet his bed his whole life.
i think it is a lot more common than people know.

Reactions: Diprs2, Knowdog and jaredc3
I wet the bed when younger and wasn’t fully dry until I was 15. My bedwetting started again in my late 40s so there is clearly a link between adult bedwetting and later dryness in childhood. My brother never had any problems nor my children.

I was a late bed wetter and suffered accidents all my life. My family was sensitive to it mostly because when I talk about it now my dad has told me that he as kid was a late bed wetter too. My bro and did never had the issue. I do believe it can be hereditary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back