Are you the only bedwetter in your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am convinced it is hereditary. On my mother's side. My sister obviously he more of my father's genes as she was completely out of nappies at two and never wet the bed.

Reactions: Diprs2
Wetshisbed said:
I am convinced it is hereditary. On my mother's side. My sister obviously he more of my father's genes as she was completely out of nappies at two and never wet the bed.
Bedwetting is partially heriditary

It runs on my dad’s side of the family. I had a great uncle who was a lifelong bed wetter and later was incontinent. My brother wet his bed until 7-8 years old and I’ve always wet the bed. My second cousins on my dad’s side also have had problems. No one on my mom’s side has had problems to my knowledge.

nappyphilia said:
I remember I outgrow bedwetting at age 13. My 11 year old sis has the problem too ( I sometimes steals Goodnites from her ; )) Wonder if bedwetting is hereditary.
There may be some hereditary factors that could lead to an increased likelihood of experiencing bedwetting, although how common this is would need to be studied.
Factoring in non-hereditary reasons for bedwetting, as well as combined reasons (whether one of them is hereditary or otherwise) would reveal some patterns in the distribution of genetic vs. non-genetic relationship.

In the immediate family I was the only one, although I had one cousin who wet his bed. I stopped when I was about nine years old.

My sister Rebecca and I both wet the bed due to cerebral palsy

Reactions: Diprs2 and Ickledan89
No, my sister Rebecca and I both wet the bed

Reactions: Ickledan89
My thick cloth diapers are my best solution to keep sheets dry most nights. I use quality disposables during the day but being mostly a side sleeper any disposables I’ve tried usually leak a good bit in bed. I wet multiple times a night so even my cloth diapers can’t hold it all and my sheets will get a little or even a lot wet a couple times a week. Mattress protection is essential!

Reactions: Diprs2, Wetshisbed and chamberpot
ballyhooser said:
My thick cloth diapers are my best solution to keep sheets dry most nights. I use quality disposables during the day but being mostly a side sleeper any disposables I’ve tried usually leak a good bit in bed. I wet multiple times a night so even my cloth diapers can’t hold it all and my sheets will get a little or even a lot wet a couple times a week. Mattress protection is essential!
Same here mattress prote tion is essential. I leak on to the bed a few times a week.

Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
Wetshisbed said:
Same here mattress prote tion is essential. I leak on to the bed a few times a week.
I do a hybrid. I'm still using confidry 247's at night, but I add two infant siza Gerber cloth diapers as boosters. One folded into a triangle pointed down in front of my junk, the second folded in thirds under my tummy. Don't get me wrong my bed is well protected, but I can probably count on one hand the times I get the sheets wet per year. The cloth diapers are a bit of a pain to deal with. I usually bring them in the shower with me, leave the drain stopped while I shower. The excess water gives then a 5ish minute soak. Then wiring them out and hang them to dry on the side of the cloths hamper. Usually they take the place of the previous days now dry diaper which goes into the hamper for a real washing before being used again.

Reactions: Diprs2, Inconinmiss and chamberpot
I was the oldest brother and I wet the bed until my late teens. My first young brother potty trained early and only wet the bed until he was 5. One time, I remember being resistant to putting on a goodnite because I had a cousin over who I didn't want to seem like a "baby" to. Then he pulled down his pants and showed me he was wearing one. To this day, I'm not sure if he did that to make me feel better or if he really did wet the bed too. I think we were around 6 years old at the time...I suppose it's certainly possible!

My 2nd youngest brother potty trained kind of late like me, but I am not sure if he wet the bed at all, as he moved out of Michigan with his mom for most of his life (and only recently moved back last year). My youngest brother of all (of a different dad) has down syndrome and bless his heart; he was finally able to ditch pullups a couple years ago at the age of 10!

Lastly, my dad told me he wet the bed until he was 7 years old. As I said in another post recently, he was hard on me about it after I turned 10, because in his mind it should of been over by that point. I wasn't so lucky though

Last edited:
Not sure if either mom or dad were but being as I’m an only child I’m pretty sure that I am. They were good about it though and would always asked me what I thought we should do about my bed wetting but never got angry at move over it. I finally dried up around age 10 and began leaking again night AND DAY (front AND rear) at around 60.

DL1989 said:
Not the only bedwetter in my family.

I’m the oldest of my siblings, my half brother three years younger wet the bed till middle school or so, my half sister seven years younger wet the bed till late elementary school, I wet the bed till my current age. 😂 I also have a cousin who wet the bed not sure when or if he stopped. Thankfully we were all 90s babies so we all had goodnites which made it easier to deal with for sure. Just slip a pull-up on before bed and toss it out in the morning. Granted as I got older I had to move to Depends with Tabs which sucked till I started getting Abena M4 freshman year of college. I used those till I recently moved to the BetterDry.

Also it was easy in college as my dorms you could check off if you had bedwetting on the application and they made sure your roommate also was a bedwetter and you got a private bathroom and shower attached to your room for easy cleanup.

I think the 90s is when it became easier to deal with bedwetting as it started to become a public and commonly discussed medical issue with TV ads for Goodnites and everything.
Went to college in the 70’s and there wasn’t a box to check regarding bedwetting. I commuted my first year because I knew there was no way to share a room in a dorm as a bedwetter. I made some great friends my first year and almost all of them were in the dorms. They convinced me to move to the dorm in my second year. I had to cover the mattress in my room with a plastic cover, for obvious reasons since my diapers being very thick often overflowed. I was discovered probably the first week and my friends nicknamed me puddles. I was surprised because they were all pretty cool about it. Anytime someone new entered the picture and asked “why puddles” one of my friends would speak up so I didn’t have to and would say “because he wets the bed”. They always had my back and always did it in a mature manner with no joking around about it. Almost always new guys or girls would just say oh, ok, or gee that sucks, or even comment yeah I used to do that too. That was the first time I realized other people don’t really care and I spent years before living in fear that someone would “find out”. I still have some of these same friends in my life and puddles is still my handle.

Reactions: Diprs2, DL1989, Wetshisbed and 1 other person
littledub1955 said:
Do you prefer the cloth diapers or do you prefer the disposables. I wore disposables for two years after becoming incontinent but because I'm a side sleeper I finally tried cloth pin ons with plastic pants and have never really gone back to wearing a disposable. I'll only wear a disposable about once a month now during the day but I wear cotton diapers with plastic pants 24/7 the remainder of the time.
Cloth at night is the only thing that works for me. Quality disposables during the day as there more discrete and convenient. Been 24/7 since 2006

ballyhooser said:
Went to college in the 70’s and there wasn’t a box to check regarding bedwetting. I commuted my first year because I knew there was no way to share a room in a dorm as a bedwetter. I made some great friends my first year and almost all of them were in the dorms. They convinced me to move to the dorm in my second year. I had to cover the mattress in my room with a plastic cover, for obvious reasons since my diapers being very thick often overflowed. I was discovered probably the first week and my friends nicknamed me puddles. I was surprised because they were all pretty cool about it. Anytime someone new entered the picture and asked “why puddles” one of my friends would speak up so I didn’t have to and would say “because he wets the bed”. They always had my back and always did it in a mature manner with no joking around about it. Almost always new guys or girls would just say oh, ok, or gee that sucks, or even comment yeah I used to do that too. That was the first time I realized other people don’t really care and I spent years before living in fear that someone would “find out”. I still have some of these same friends in my life and puddles is still my handle.
I found over the years most people dont reallycare if you wet the bed.

Wetshisbed said:
I found over the years most people dont reallycare if you wet the bed.
That’s also been my experience except when wetting impacted their sleep and/or comfort.

Immediate family, I’m the only one.

But all of my male cousins wore Goodnites until at least age 9… the oldest I think wore them until maybe 12 or so. I think all of us continued to wet the bed, at least occasionally, for a couple years after being taken out of Goodnites.

abcde12678 said:
Immediate family, I’m the only one.

But all of my male cousins wore Goodnites until at least age 9… the oldest I think wore them until maybe 12 or so. I think all of us continued to wet the bed, at least occasionally, for a couple years after being taken out of Goodnites.

Several of my cousins were bedwetters, too. And now so are their kids, apparently.

One of my cousins now has three daughters. I think they range in ages between 6 and 10 years old now. But I don't know. I don't stay in close contact with them. Only see them around Christmas, if at all. Anyway, this particular cousin wet the bed until she was a teenager. Her youngest daughter isn't potty trained. And this cousin made sure her older daughters were wearing goodnites before they drove home on Christmas night. To be fair, they had a 3 hour drive and it was after 10:00 PM when they finally left.

Another one of my cousins (the brother of the cousin, above) has a son and a daughter. The son was about 8 years old. I don't know how old the daughter is, but she is younger than the son. This cousin was a bedwetter until he was almost 21 years old. He's all grown up and married now. And I see this cousin even less because he and his wife and kids typically spend Christmas with his wife's family. But he was at our gathering last Christmas. His son apparently started wearing diapers again during the pandemic. The son is almost certainly on the spectrum and probably has ADHD. The daughter is still a bedwetter.

Bedwetting runs in the family I guess.

DiaperedJeff said:
I still wear cloth diapers and plastic pants to bed. Most mornings wake up soaked. Keep a plastic cover on the mattress in case of leaks which happens occasionally.
Yes lifelong bedwetter and thick pin on diapers with plastic pants do the best job of keeping the bed mostly dry. I wet often during the night and a couple mornings each week my bed gets some or a lot wet when my diapers are completely soaked.

Both my little brother and myself were regular bedwetters - he was a few years younger than me - he dried up 8-9 year old but I was still peeing my bed then - was a bit embarrassed once my younger brother was dry at night and I was wet like a baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back