Are We Having A Food Shortage Now ?

Up here in Northern Michigan, things haven't been all that bad. Sure, your favorite brands might be completely sold out, but there is always another brand of the same food product to take it's place. The worst part I'd say is that beef is sometimes sold out or close to selling out.

Shortages aren't the main problem we're experiencing up here in Michigan, it's the food prices going up. I'm hesitant to blame it on price gouging, because it seems like an easy cop-out reason. That's because I know a couple truck drivers that drive for food service companies. The main problem they have is the price of diesel, which has been absolutely skyrocketing for the past couple months. And these delivery companies are charging an additional fuel surcharge to the businesses they deliver to, who in turn pass those costs onto the customers. This is a problem if 99% of the things you buy, are delivered on a truck or a cargo ship which also runs on diesel.

This is a very complicated issue, but I'd like to point out Upper Echelon Gamers video on the impending global food shortage, which I think he did a good job on. I don't think the United States or Canada will be impacted that badly from the coming food shortages. Sure, there might be some bare shelves here and there, but there will be food to eat. But food will definitely become more expensive, especially if oil continues to go up in price. The ones who are going to be the most impacted by the shortages will be poorer countries, who unfortunately will be facing extremely hard times. Some countries are already facing hard times, like Sri Lanka, Turkey, and Afghanistan to name a few.

The global economy depends too much on the just-in-time delivery system, which only works until it doesn't. The system has really been shaken to it's core due to the coronavirus shutdowns and it might take years and years before we fully recover

Reactions: Woncrinklz, SennkohCoola, dogboy and 1 other person
fleckothefennec said:
I haven't noticed any shortages in BC. I'm stoked that my freezer is full of wild game and fish, just made some deer sausage, next is pemmican. My garden has lots of fresh stuff already, will be canning plenty of it. Luckily nature's grocery store seems well stocked😌
I have not had a garden since I left home in my 20's. never had room in my apartment and the garden was more like a small patio. After I bought my house, a fixer and there was no time to plant a garden. It was also Autumn so not much point in Canada.

Chimera said:
Up here in Northern Michigan, things haven't been all that bad. Sure, your favorite brands might be completely sold out, but there is always another brand of the same food product to take it's place. The worst part I'd say is that beef is sometimes sold out or close to selling out.

Shortages aren't the main problem we're experiencing up here in Michigan, it's the food prices going up. I'm hesitant to blame it on price gouging, because it seems like an easy cop-out reason. That's because I know a couple truck drivers that drive for food service companies. The main problem they have is the price of diesel, which has been absolutely skyrocketing for the past couple months. And these delivery companies are charging an additional fuel surcharge to the businesses they deliver to, who in turn pass those costs onto the customers. This is a problem if 99% of the things you buy, are delivered on a truck or a cargo ship which also runs on diesel.

This is a very complicated issue, but I'd like to point out Upper Echelon Gamers video on the impending global food shortage, which I think he did a good job on. I don't think the United States or Canada will be impacted that badly from the coming food shortages. Sure, there might be some bare shelves here and there, but there will be food to eat. But food will definitely become more expensive, especially if oil continues to go up in price. The ones who are going to be the most impacted by the shortages will be poorer countries, who unfortunately will be facing extremely hard times. Some countries are already facing hard times, like Sri Lanka, Turkey, and Afghanistan to name a few.

The global economy depends too much on the just-in-time delivery system, which only works until it doesn't. The system has really been shaken to it's core due to the coronavirus shutdowns and it might take years and years before we fully recover
Went to Costco today and even there I had to hunt for things I normally buy or find a substitute.. Not so much beef there either and it was busy for a Monday morning.

as others have said, its a supply chain issue and not a shortage issue. here in the states its largely because vaccines are now mandatory for truck drivers passing through borders and a bunch of them threw a hissy fit and quit, so now there are a lot less drivers and some of the ones we do have are inexperienced and often times outright dangerous drivers.

Angelapinks said:
I have not had a garden since I left home in my 20's. never had room in my apartment and the garden was more like a small patio. After I bought my house, a fixer and there was no time to plant a garden. It was also Autumn so not much point in Canada.
This is my first year gardening at my off grid property, so far most of my stuff is in the greenhouse I built earlier this year, I plan to have much more garden space next year as well as chickens and rabbits 😁

• Love
Reactions: SennkohCoola, Angelapinks and chiaochai
fleckothefennec said:
This is my first year gardening at my off grid property, so far most of my stuff is in the greenhouse I built earlier this year, I plan to have much more garden space next year as well as chickens and rabbits 😁
As a fox do you ever have to fight the urge to grab the chickens or rabbits in your teeth and shake? Feasting on a warm and fresh meal?

Jokes aside, after reading your posts I am impressed with your lifestyle. It must be incredibly rewarding. I know how much work it is to take care of land and produce as much as you can on it I have been growing plants for a lot of years now. I have a nice greenhouse that I grow in year round.

I wish you luck!@

Reactions: chiaochai
Here in Virginia I've noticed a chicken shortage. I think part of the problem with chicken is not having the labor force that cleans the chickens.

dogboy said:
Here in Virginia I've noticed a chicken shortage. I think part of the problem with chicken is not having the labor force that cleans the chickens.
Bird flu is also a major issue that isn't discussed that much in the news. As a result of the bird flu, millions of chickens and turkeys across the country have been culled to prevent the spread. Looking toward the future, Thanksgiving is going to be a doozy.

Reactions: Angelapinks and chiaochai
I work at Walmart and in the past 6 months I have seen shortages on different products and its a supply issue

Reactions: Angelapinks
fleckothefennec said:
If I was younger I would look for property and build off grid but now I am in my retirement years and there is more tire than years so I will take a nap and think about your garden instead LOL

Reactions: fleckothefennec
dogboy said:
I have read reports that those that clean chickens often don't get bathroom breaks, or very nearly so. So much so, that I've read that the workers wear diapers to get through their shift. Now that's a tough shift if true!

And, no diapers? Then, no cleaned chickens! A supply chain problem. 🤪

KitsuneFox said:
I was doing my weekly shopping today, and I noticed that all 3 grocery stores I visited had very low stock on many items ( Wegmans Food Markets, Giant Food Stores, Weis Markets ). I was able to get most of the items on my list, but I am concerned that there may be some serious problems in the future.
I noticed the shelf tags as Wegmans before I read the text of your post - I'm in Wegmans' home town ;) Yesterday I went to pick up one item, and they had none of the Wegmans brand, and only the expensive one, of which there were few. I suspect many are buying store brands to save a little money, as I am.

I work as an agronomy tech on the side. Inputs (the things farmers put in the ground like seed, amendments, fertilizer, etc) are two and three times the cost they were last year. Diesel makes the tractors "go," and that price is up 94% year-on-year. When this years crop is harvested, the farmer needs to make a return on his or her investment (as do all the parties involved), so if you think prices are bad now, just wait. Corn traded today at about 75 cents over what it cost this time last year, and $2 over it's one year low in September. With the EPA calling to double the ethanol blend in the US gasoline supply, demand for corn will increase. The cost per bushel will go up, whether its for ethanol or Fritos or corn syrup, and that cost will be passed on to the consumer. Whether one thinks that's fair or not is moot - it's simply the reality.

Last edited:
tbh i havnt really noticed a shortage of things where i live in the uk.
theres some items that are not stocked anymore, particulartly chinese fruit and veg. but i tend to get all my meat and veg from farms near me as store food is pretty gross.

Still loads of stock issues at the food stores near me. Seems to be meats and other random other shelf stable items seem to always be out. Like gatorade, always out. Lots more than that. With the price of gas soaring food production could collapse or 10x in price. And with the economy the way it is I'm not making as much as I used to.

Reactions: Tommy10
fleckothefennec said:
I love this idea as I wish could be gardening growing my own food and raising chickens and rabbits like you are but I live in second floor apartment and kind of hard to grow food in pots on my deck when It's in the 30's and 40's at night and 50's and 60's with it being cloudy and cold and raining all the time where I live in Rapid City South Dakota USA!

• Sad
Reactions: Angelapinks and fleckothefennec
Here in Texas we're fine on food, baby formula we might be low on. But we will bounce back.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Saltedcaramel64
SennkohCoola said:
I love this idea as I wish could be gardening growing my own food and raising chickens and rabbits like you are but I live in second floor apartment and kind of hard to grow food in pots on my deck when It's in the 30's and 40's at night and 50's and 60's with it being cloudy and cold and raining all the time where I live in Rapid City South Dakota USA!
Yah location can make or break things. I live on a small island off the coast of BC. Doesn't get very hot, or very cold here, and land is still cheap, my property with cabin was only 92k😁

Reactions: SennkohCoola and Angelapinks
KitsuneFox said:
I was doing my weekly shopping today, and I noticed that all 3 grocery stores I visited had very low stock on many items ( Wegmans Food Markets, Giant Food Stores, Weis Markets ). I was able to get most of the items on my list, but I am concerned that there may be some serious problems in the future.

Have any of you been shopping recently, and if so, how was the food stock?

[[ One of the many nearly empty shelves in Wegmans on January 11 2022 ]]
View attachment 69806
I have seen trucks loaded with potatoes being dumped...Ordered by the Biden admin. Of course the baby formula shortage we all know about and eggs also by the millions of chickens being eradicated because of disease.

SennkohCoola said:
I plan on doing the black hills for a vacation later in the year when it warms up over there =D

Reactions: SennkohCoola
MickeyM said:
I plan on doing the black hills for a vacation later in the year when it warms up over there =D
It's nice and warm in the 80s and 90 all this week great time to visit Rapid City South Dakota USA now!

Back