Archaeology/history.

subietodd said:
Ok, so big big story in a nut shell the red pait people's existed in nort east United States and Eastern Canada up to about 1000 bce and all we really know about them is that they had the burial practice of covering the dead in red ocher, and often other grave items as well. The Abinaki are the indigenous peoples that inhabit the same area, but seem to have no genealogical links.
This interesting! In England we have the cave of a red woman. She was preserved in ocer as well! I actually use that clay in soaps that I make.. it is very nice on the skin .. I get the clay from Sardinia..

Do you think that people originally arrived from Asia ? Maybe an ancient land bridge!

subietodd said:
North East US, Maine specifically, thought the reference to the red paint people's and or the Abinaki would be a give away
To be honest I am a North European (British) Archaeology/history bloke. I do know about US native history, but this is more sling lines of the Old West and Native culture.

When it comes to shell middens one would sift though to find more tangible evidence such as charcoal. In then case of a shell middens on the Isle of Oronsay a human hand was also found. If teeth are found, this will give a location of the individuals that frequented the area. When teeth was analysed from Durrington Walls near Stonehenge it became clear that people travelled from as fare as Orkney to join in with the construction and festivals.

Reactions: Kittyinpink
A large red paint people burial area was discovered a couple towns up river from my home town a few years ago during a construction project. There were um, I think, 23 sites.

DiaperArch said:
To be honest I am a North European (British) Archaeology/history bloke. I do know about US native history, but this is more sling lines of the Old West and Native culture.

When it comes to shell middens one would sift though to find more tangible evidence such as charcoal. In then case of a shell middens on the Isle of Oronsay a human hand was also found. If teeth are found, this will give a location of the individuals that frequented the area. When teeth was analysed from Durrington Walls near Stonehenge it became clear that people travelled from as fare as Orkney to join in with the construction and festivals.
Amazing. Those ancient dudes and dudettes loved to party!

subietodd said:
A large red paint people burial area was discovered a couple towns up river from my home town a few years ago during a construction project. There were um, I think, 23 sites.
So great to get all this information! Do you know , did they basically mummification using the red clay? It's monmirrolite clay with iron oxides . I'm pretty sure.

There seems to be little to no supporting items in the middens.

Perhaps something more recent

In the early 1600's this area that I live in was under the authority of the Massachusetts bay colony. The largest english settlement in this area was Falmouth. The local Abinaki were led by a man the english called king Philip. So, the governor was having problems with the indigenous people and ordered them disarmed. The locals here in Maine were like, screw you gov! No way are we doing that! It will just antagonize them, and we depend on them to provide game meat to live. So the sent a regiment of British regulars to do it, they did, and it did just as the locals though, a war ensued. This village of Falmouth that was around 2000 people at the time, saw the natives as friends and trading partners, this one day awoke to a terrible horror of people they knew and trusted burning buildings and murdering. A few girls escaped this event and moved to Salem Massachusetts, and were leading players in the witch trials that happened shortly there after. I put forth that these girls were not "bewitched" but suffering severe ptsd

Reactions: CLPP, DiaperArch and Kittyinpink
Kittyinpink said:
So great to get all this information! Do you know , did they basically mummification using the red clay? It's monmirrolite clay with iron oxides . I'm pretty sure.
Well, I've only seen one site, there was little to no human remains left but there was a lot of ocher, a LOT!

subietodd said:
There seems to be little to no supporting items in the middens.

Perhaps something more recent

In the early 1600's this area that I live in was under the authority of the Massachusetts bay colony. The largest english settlement in this area was Falmouth. The local Abinaki were led by a man the english called king Philip. So, the governor was having problems with the indigenous people and ordered them disarmed. The locals here in Maine were like, screw you gov! No way are we doing that! It will just antagonize them, and we depend on them to provide game meat to live. So the sent a regiment of British regulars to do it, they did, and it did just as the locals though, a war ensued. This village of Falmouth that was around 2000 people at the time, saw the natives as friends and trading partners, this one day awoke to a terrible horror of people they knew and trusted burning buildings and murdering. A few girls escaped this event and moved to Salem Massachusetts, and were leading players in the witch trials that happened shortly there after. I put forth that these girls were not "bewitched" but suffering severe ptsd
I put forward that those perticluar girls were basically nasty! They pretended that steel needle's were in their guts.. I think.. just a bad bunch of girls. (By the way , I'm loving this conversation! I will find out tomorrow the exact clay used , because somewhere in my bedroom I have that clay! I know , but I'm to tired to look..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this is most of my source

subietodd said:
Well, I've only seen one site, there was little to no human remains left but there was a lot of ocher, a LOT!
Yes. Definitely ocher! Awesome!! I'm gonna seriously research that!! I know I have some of the clay.

Maybe they mixed with that moss found in UK....

Spagham moss

subietodd said:
Red ochre has always been associated with death. Cultures all over the world use the same pigment I the same way, not on every individual but a lot. This leads to the speculation that the ochre was used for specific reasons, healing the dead/spirt, containing the spirt, appeasing the spirt. The feeling is interesting due to the faculty that many skeletons found in North Europe have ochre on the bones that were damaged prior to death.

Unfortunately, if the ground it to acidic then the bones will not survive.

DiaperArch said:
Red ochre has always been associated with death. Cultures all over the world use the same pigment I the same way, not on every individual but a lot. This leads to the speculation that the ochre was used for specific reasons, healing the dead/spirt, containing the spirt, appeasing the spirt. The feeling is interesting due to the faculty that many skeletons found in North Europe have ochre on the bones that were damaged prior to death.

Unfortunately, if the ground it to acidic then the bones will not survive.
Nah.. you are wrong on that! (Hope you don't find me disagree offensive!) The ocher definitely preserves meat / dead people .. I have read lots of information on that clay.. it really does preserve. Very interesting to me . I no longer use it much because it stains... Interestingly I use a almost unique clay which is green and it doesn't stain and works really well in moisturising.. I used ocher for same reason , also it seems to draw blood towards skin and that has a good effect on human skin..

DiaperArch said:
Are there any commercial archaeologists in the ABDL community that would like to talk shop? Or anybody interested in archaeology, pre-historical/historical history or even industrial archaeology/history. Industrial archaeology I have done for at least 3 years and rural which is usually prehistoric I have spent 1.5 years.

Since I first asked the question a couple of individuals have cropped up, one that studies the discipline and another that has an interest in history. I fully enjoy communicating with the people and would like to see is there is anybody else out there that would like to chat.
I don't have great knowledge about it. However I would like to follow along as it does intrest me

Reactions: DiaperArch
Kittyinpink said:
Nah.. you are wrong on that! (Hope you don't find me disagree offensive!) The ocher definitely preserves meat / dead people .. I have read lots of information on that clay.. it really does preserve. Very interesting to me . I no longer use it much because it stains... Interestingly I use a almost unique clay which is green and it doesn't stain and works really well in moisturising.. I used ocher for same reason , also it seems to draw blood towards skin and that has a good effect on human skin..
Each to their own interpretation, our understanding of the past events would not be as rich if there was not many views on how it all happened. What I do know is that the Ochre is found in graves, usually around, covering or on specific parts of the dead individual. I am currently digging a site which has been had a few burials and ochre does occur. Interesting, this practise has been seen to exist in the Mesolithic in a place called Olenii ostrov dating to 7500b.p.

LUV said:
I don't have great knowledge about it. However I would like to follow along as it does intrest me
Hello there.

Kittyinpink said:
(Hope you don't find me disagree offensive!)
And no, I do not take it as offensive 🙂

DiaperArch said:
And no, I do not take it as offensive 🙂
Great! I would like to constantly learn and (nicely argue) about history and architecture! Awesome! Two amazing sciences!! 😊😎😁

Reactions: DiaperArch
Kittyinpink said:
Great! I would like to constantly learn and (nicely argue) about history and architecture! Awesome! Two amazing sciences!! 😊😎😁
😍😍

Back