Archaeology/history.

DiaperArch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
Are there any commercial archaeologists in the ABDL community that would like to talk shop? Or anybody interested in archaeology, pre-historical/historical history or even industrial archaeology/history. Industrial archaeology I have done for at least 3 years and rural which is usually prehistoric I have spent 1.5 years.

Since I first asked the question a couple of individuals have cropped up, one that studies the discipline and another that has an interest in history. I fully enjoy communicating with the people and would like to see is there is anybody else out there that would like to chat.

Reactions: Lightstreak2553 and siysiy
I absolutely love history! But I doubt I would be good chatting material , as I have zero qualifications! But if you do get some chat going on your thread , I would enjoy chiming in occasionally! I actually bunked off school and spent my time in museums , libraries , book shops and cinema! Architecture is absolutely amazing! I can't get over how brilliant people were to design and build Canterbury cathedral (I explored every nook and cranny as a child , they let me even though I wasn't really allowed! I even saw the bayou tapestry , or at least a replica on the amazing stone wall of the cathedral.) And unbelievable brilliant stain glass windows that told stories...

Reactions: DiaperArch
Hello,
Trust me, you do not need qualications to chat about the material culture. There are plenty of professional archaeologists that do not have any qualications, they started out in the 80s 90s need none was needed to do the work.

I love stain glass windows, brings together my love for history and artwork. In my home town Middleton there is a window in the church (St Leonards) which is argued to be 'World's oldest glazed war memorial'. Dated to around 1513, depicting the longbow men from the Battle of Flodden, and the Lord of the Manor Richard Assheton a long with his family and prest.

Reactions: Kittyinpink
Hi DiaperArch sorry mate, I have no qualifications in archaeology either, just a general interest in watching TV documentaries and the like.
So I would not be able to contribute much to any intelligent conversation on the the subject. (Love to chat at my own level at any time of course).
Just to let you know, some of my other interests are: science, space exploration, astronomy, history, volcanism, geology and geography.
Oh and hi to you Kittyinpink also.

Reactions: DiaperArch and Kittyinpink
Happy2BeInNappies2 said:
Hi DiaperArch sorry mate, I have no qualifications in archaeology either, just a general interest in watching TV documentaries and the like.
So I would not be able to contribute much to any intelligent conversation on the the subject. (Love to chat at my own level at any time of course).
Just to let you know, some of my other interests are: science, space exploration, astronomy, history, volcanism, geology and geography.
Oh and hi to you Kittyinpink also.
Your input has fasinated me! Oh and hello aswell! 😊. I don't have much self confidence . But I do love history and any fact related knowledge. I think for me history is the most interesting , because I learn stuff thinking it's true , then I learn other stuff which makes what was true unlikely. We have to use our imaginations and try and almost guess what really happened!🤣. Human beings are such liars!! I recommend an British author (now passed away) his name is George MacDonald Frasier and he was brilliant at research and very enjoyable to read . His humour was dark and he really saw into humanity.. also I recommend BBC iPlayer if you can get the app.. lot's of fascinating science (especially Brian Cox , highly recommend his amazing teaching style , super clever man who delivers knowledge in a relaxed , easy style.) And a highly clever children's program called "horrible histories" which although isn't always as accurate as I would like , it is very entertaining and makes me think and laugh , it's also great if you guys go into little space. And I am encouraged after watching to check out the facts which I love being stimulated that way. I went to Barcelona many years ago and saw lots of goudis work.. interesting , but I wasn't overly impressed. Just to showy , proving his brilliance with architecture design but only to show off.. (that was my impression) I mostly admire morish architecture the Muslim cultures have created so much wonder with their amazing religious design.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2
Good evening DiaperArch and kittyinpink I try to have some confidence in a few things (nappies / diapers being one of them), but self, usually comes last, if at all. I do love 'present' facts (QI one example TV show), but change is constant. Horrible Histories has just finished on one of the (Australian) ABC channels and tomorrow night (Monday 22/11/2021) at 8:30pm ABC will transmit an episode of 'Universe With Brian Cox' I hope it is a new one for me.

At present I am reading two books on British history. One being: A Shortened History of England' by G. M. Trevelyan. (The other about King Henry VIII).

The Muslims were far more advanced in science than the Western culture during the Middles Ages. Their influence generally coming though Spain as reflexed in the morish architecture.
I will look up George Mac Donald - as they say: 'History is Written by the Victors' - thanks kittyinpink.
DiaperArch I look forward to chatting on archaeology (or anything else of shared interest) soon.

Last edited:
Architecture does fascinate me, the church I mentioned can trace its origins to the saxons, but the standing building can be dated to the 1168, largely rebuilt in 1415 Thomas Langley who was Bishop to the Royal family, again in 1524 by Richard Assheton after the battle of Flodden and then in the late 1800s by Manchester known Edger Wood.

I unfortunately have never really been outside of the UK I only really know (In person) of building in on this island. Such as castles, medieval building of York and Chester, towns of Wales, Cotton Mills etc...and ancient architecture such as Stonehenge obviously 😆

Science, space exploration, astronomy I do enjoy. I am always watching a program called 'How The Universe Works', and I do try and keep upto date with space news, especially the recent photos from the Juno Space craft, stunning ain't the word.

DiaperArch said:
Architecture does fascinate me, the church I mentioned can trace its origins to the saxons, but the standing building can be dated to the 1168, largely rebuilt in 1415 Thomas Langley who was Bishop to the Royal family, again in 1524 by Richard Assheton after the battle of Flodden and then in the late 1800s by Manchester known Edger Wood.

I unfortunately have never really been outside of the UK I only really know (In person) of building in on this island. Such as castles, medieval building of York and Chester, towns of Wales, Cotton Mills etc...and ancient architecture such as Stonehenge obviously 😆

Science, space exploration, astronomy I do enjoy. I am always watching a program called 'How The Universe Works', and I do try and keep upto date with space news, especially the recent photos from the Juno Space craft, stunning ain't the word.
Isn't this world incredible!! We don't know a thing yet! Just imagine what we will discover and learn in the next 100 years!! So exciting!

Let's play a game! 😊 . Ask a question about history or ancient architecture , that you know the answer to. But you are not allowed to reaserch it ! Has to be stuff in your head only! So I'll start! Did Elizabeth 2nd have black teeth due to sugar addiction . And did her court perposly blacken their teeth with charcoal to imitate her..?

Somebody else can do Betty 🤭

I have an informal interest in the topics at hand, but I tend to approach it from a non-official/academic slant.
There's too much to detail and I've not yet thought how to summarize it, other than with the above. 'Social' or 'folk' history would be apt, but you can't speak of any aspect, academic or social, without tallying one against the other.
My take is that of an impression of life and thought of whichever people, time and place, rather than memorized tables of events and details.

The internet has been a real boon to this approach, because you're otherwise limited by the very few broad documentings and personal experiences, and, mostly, you'd only have close-at-hand or official sources to go by.
Like, way before the internet and when I was taking an interest in my own Lancastrian dialect (as something of a backlash against media representations and the wholesale americanization of popular culture) I had been given the information from an 'authoritative' source that there was only one book which detailed my speech; it turns out that that was just bollocks, but that misinforming does demonstrate the problems with 'authorities' and experts in how they record and give information, and how that then official record differs from reality.

But, of course, that's not to dismiss recorded, official history, but to see it as questionable, not absolute nor black and white (for all the irony).

26109496374_1b8bf0fd3c_b.jpg
A transcribed document from Flickr which goes on for about 16 pages and would horrify modern urbanites for the number of children killed.
And, of course, there's the question of, if that's the full story?

I could ramble on all day.....

Last edited:
ade said:
Somebody else can do Betty 🤭

I have an informal interest in the topics at hand, but I tend to approach it from a non-official/academic slant.
There's too much to detail and I've not yet thought how to summarize it, other than with the above. 'Social' or 'folk' history would be apt, but you can't speak of any aspect, academic or social, without tallying one against the other.
My take is that of an impression of life and thought of whichever people, time and place, rather than memorized tables of events and details.

The internet has been a real boon to this approach, because you're otherwise limited by the very few broad documentings and personal experiences, and, mostly, you'd only have close-at-hand or official sources to go by.
Like, way before the internet and when I was taking an interest in my own Lancastrian dialect (as something of a backlash against media representations and the wholesale americanization of popular culture) I had been given the information from an 'authoritative' source that there was only one book which detailed my speech; it turns out that that was just bollocks, but that misinforming does demonstrate the problems with 'authorities' and experts in how they record and give information, and how that then official record differs from reality.

But, of course, that's not to dismiss recorded, official history, but to see it as questionable, not absolute nor black and white (for all the irony).

View attachment 67119
A transcribed document from Flickr which goes on for about 16 pages and would horrify modern urbanites for the number of children killed.
And, of course, there's the question of, if that's the full story?

I could ramble on all day.....
Thanks for the input! 😊. I'm actually loving this post 😍!

Did you guys know that Einstein was offered the job of president in Israel? I think 1952. Weird but possibly true fact! 😊

• Wow
Kittyinpink said:
Isn't this world incredible!! We don't know a thing yet! Just imagine what we will discover and learn in the next 100 years!! So exciting!
Now, that is why I love my job! I am nolonger the chap reading reports of what someone else thinks happened 100, 500, 1000, 10,000 years ago! I am a chap that goes and finds it all, giving my 2 pence to the overall interpretation :)

DiaperArch said:
Now, that is why I love my job! I am nolonger the chap reading reports of what someone else thinks happened 100, 500, 1000, 10,000 years ago! I am a chap that goes and finds it all, giving my 2 pence to the overall interpretation :)
😍 Love your answer! I'm also very happy for you! Great job!! 😍☺️😊. Well done!

• Love
Ok, so, middens......many have been discovered in this area, most are unprotected and are eroding with sea level rise. Most in this area are shellfish remains. How would it be possible to date these? Could they be from the red paint peoples? Are they more likely from the more recent Abinaki?

subietodd said:
Ok, so, middens......many have been discovered in this area, most are unprotected and are eroding with sea level rise. Most in this area are shellfish remains. How would it be possible to date these? Could they be from the red paint peoples? Are they more likely from the more recent Abinaki?
Which area ? Sorry need more information.

North East US, Maine specifically, thought the reference to the red paint people's and or the Abinaki would be a give away

Reactions: CLPP and Kittyinpink
subietodd said:
North East US, Maine specifically, thought the reference to the red paint people's and or the Abinaki would be a give away
Ok. I am going to cheat! Very interesting and I can't help myself. Gonna Google this! Sorry...

Ok, so big big story in a nut shell the red pait people's existed in nort east United States and Eastern Canada up to about 1000 bce and all we really know about them is that they had the burial practice of covering the dead in red ocher, and often other grave items as well. The Abinaki are the indigenous peoples that inhabit the same area, but seem to have no genealogical links.

I think that if there were a way to date the middens, they could be attributed to either one, the other, or perhaps both peoples

Back