Advice for cleaning after a messy diaper

I am bowel incontinent and I really do not recommend people to do this and for sure you should not sit or play in it any longer than you absolutely have too. Poo is way more toxic to the skin and can even cause a bladder infection. Way more likely on females but either it is possible. But If you are going to do it I would highly recommend a better diaper than a pull up Especially if you want to set in it. Plastic back and tall leak guards are vital. I have had small bowel accidents in a pull up but to ensure against leaks a full fitted diaper with tall leak guards and plastic backing is best. Abena M$ at the least.
I often have the runs too so it makes it a bit messier. As far as clean up since you are not Incontinent and doing this as a planed event just use the portable shower head it is the easiest way to get clean. If you do not have one and you plan on doing this much.. install one. Other than a shower head I found using the disposable blue chux pads (bed pads) work far better than anything else. You can wipe the bulk off like it is a big disposable towel. You can learn to use one end and turn it in on itself and wipe a bit more and turn it in on its self. Normally even a bulky case of diarrhea I can clean up with only one chux pad and 3 to 4 wipes at most. Without the chux pad I might use 20 or 30 wipes. The blue pads I get on Amazon around 16 to 17 bucks for 50. It is a lot easier and cheaper than wasting wipes. Then you can use baby wipes to clean the skin good and you just keep wiping until the wipes are clean coming off of you. I use a purple perineal wash. I will spray it on my wipes or on my skin direct I also will sometimes spray the bed pad wet with it. This is a very good PH balancing cleaner. I do not use creams or paste unless I already have damaged skin. But I very seldom ever get that as I do not set in mine any more than I must. Unless it happens at night and I do not notice until the next day normally I change within 10 minutes. Roll up the wipes, blue pad or pads up into the diaper and place in plastic bag tying it off tight. I throw in the outside trash. Also latex gloves can be good I do not use them at home but I often do in public because you will get it on your hands at some point. I also use scented disposal bags from NS if tossing it in public or indoor trash.

Diaperman95 said:
I am bowel incontinent and I really do not recommend people to do this and for sure you should not sit or play in it any longer than you absolutely have too. Poo is way more toxic to the skin and can even cause a bladder infection. Way more likely on females but either it is possible. But If you are going to do it I would highly recommend a better diaper than a pull up Especially if you want to set in it. Plastic back and tall leak guards are vital. I have had small bowel accidents in a pull up but to ensure against leaks a full fitted diaper with tall leak guards and plastic backing is best. Abena M$ at the least.
I often have the runs too so it makes it a bit messier. As far as clean up since you are not Incontinent and doing this as a planed event just use the portable shower head it is the easiest way to get clean. If you do not have one and you plan on doing this much.. install one. Other than a shower head I found using the disposable blue chux pads (bed pads) work far better than anything else. You can wipe the bulk off like it is a big disposable towel. You can learn to use one end and turn it in on itself and wipe a bit more and turn it in on its self. Normally even a bulky case of diarrhea I can clean up with only one chux pad and 3 to 4 wipes at most. Without the chux pad I might use 20 or 30 wipes. The blue pads I get on Amazon around 16 to 17 bucks for 50. It is a lot easier and cheaper than wasting wipes. Then you can use baby wipes to clean the skin good and you just keep wiping until the wipes are clean coming off of you. I use a purple perineal wash. I will spray it on my wipes or on my skin direct I also will sometimes spray the bed pad wet with it. This is a very good PH balancing cleaner. I do not use creams or paste unless I already have damaged skin. But I very seldom ever get that as I do not set in mine any more than I must. Unless it happens at night and I do not notice until the next day normally I change within 10 minutes. Roll up the wipes, blue pad or pads up into the diaper and place in plastic bag tying it off tight. I throw in the outside trash. Also latex gloves can be good I do not use them at home but I often do in public because you will get it on your hands at some point. I also use scented disposal bags from NS if tossing it in public or indoor trash.
Alright, thanks for the advice and recommendations

Reactions: Diaperman95
I enjoy the feeling of a very messy nappy but as I live with housemates it's something that doesn't happen unless they're away for the weekend.
I can then spend a few hours enjoying the feeling of my mess squishing around inside my nappy.
Once I'm ready to change I just jump straight in the shower, remove my dirty nappy, roll it up ready to be disposed of and then thoroughly wash myself off.
I've only cleaned up with wipes a few times when I've had an accident away from home and there's no other choice. Was a real pain and I never really felt clean until I was able to properly wash myself in the shower. Definitely not something I'd want to be doing often.

Dampdriver said:
I enjoy the feeling of a very messy nappy but as I live with housemates it's something that doesn't happen unless they're away for the weekend.
I can then spend a few hours enjoying the feeling of my mess squishing around inside my nappy.
Once I'm ready to change I just jump straight in the shower, remove my dirty nappy, roll it up ready to be disposed of and then thoroughly wash myself off.
I've only cleaned up with wipes a few times when I've had an accident away from home and there's no other choice. Was a real pain and I never really felt clean until I was able to properly wash myself in the shower. Definitely not something I'd want to be doing often.
Don't worry, I don't plan to mess very much often
So you just take off your messy diaper and just head straight into shower with no wiping before shower?

Having been dealing with this issue daily for about 8 years now I’ve learned a few things. The first is a repeat of what my wife and I learned with our babies, watch for rashes and let the skin in the diaper area get as much air as practical. My most important piece of equipment in my opinion is a hand held shower head which gives you access to thoroughly clean the dirty area. At least daily I wash my diaper area and if you mess your diaper often enough it seems as though your skin becomes tougher but still make sure you try various barrier creams and diaper rash ointments with a high percentage of zinc oxide to see which works best and you. As a postscript you may find that the barrier cream and/or diaper rash ointment make cleanup easier

Reactions: FullOfPixels
Having someone to change you makes it very easy. If your honest with mature friends that have experience in caregiving with children or adults, you may be shocked how many don't mine helping with diaper changes. I've had a many of messy diapers changed this way. Being brave and opening up about being incontinent and needing changed must have helped in my situations.

Last edited:
I do have a recommendation for Northshore Supreme XL wipes if you don't have the luxury of a shower at the moment. They are big, durable, and very thorough. You can cover the biggest palms and really get in there and wipe, so I'd even recommend for changing another person. The texture of the wipe does a great job of getting it all.

If I have a regular mess I don't sit on, one wipe is enough to clean the whole mess, which is generally unheard of. I have gotten out another wipe to double check myself and regretted wasting a second wipe based on how well the first wipe worked. Additional "complications" to the cleanup job may require more, but they take a lot less wipes than smaller baby wipes or flushable wipes. (Worth saying these are NOT flushable, but consider that a feature, not a flaw...)

I also use Hipposak bags available on Amazon for all my disposals, wet and messy. They are cheap, thin, available in bulk, and do a decent job of daily containment, but they will leak odor, especially fecal, over time. In cases where I need to address a substantial mess, wrap it, and go, I keep a supply of the Northshore disposal bags, too. Good scent, slightly small, but good for overall containment and concealment. You can tie them pretty tight.

Generally, I do my scheduled recreational messing and changes in the garage before the trash goes out in the morning over a large trashcan lid. Prep the bag, remove diaper into bag, use wipes, wipes in bag, wrap it, tie it, toss it, take it out to the curb. But that's a matter of necessity for me. Putting as much fecal matter in the toilet as possible is always a good idea for public health.

Reactions: Cottontail
A shower with a detachable shower head is good. Remove the shower caddy and all the other cleaning stuff so you enter an empty shower. If you want to use gloves just get some cheep surgical gloves. Paper towels will give you better texture for wiping. You can also use the paper towel as a disposable wash cloth. For soap just use something cheep since the idea is that you aren't touching your good soap with dirty hands. This way your just taking a shower from the waist down and then a normal shower after that if you want to. As for taking the diaper off you have 2 options.

1 If you aren't worried about others catching you just take the diaper off in the bathroom. To avoid mess falling onto the floor put a cheep tarp down first. Wipe the big chunks off with wet paper towels but don't use the shower until after you've gotten most of the mess off.

2 If you have to do this while others are home a suggest this. First put your supplies including water for the paper towels in your room before you put the diaper on. When your finished with your diaper lay out the tarp, take the diaper off, and wipe off as much as you can with wet paper towels. When you've gotten as clean as you think you can get without a shower put the diaper and paper towels into a bag. Now put some clothes on but don't use your good underwear. Put clean underwear, dry paper towels, a small bag, and gloves into your pocket. Go to the shower like your normally do but use the paper towels. When finished with the shower put your good underwear on, squeeze the water out of the paper towels. Put the gloves, paper towels, and other underwear into the bag.

Some other advice for messing discreetly. Open your window and spray the diaper with some air freshener or something when your finished. Try to mess the day before garbage day.

Reactions: Cottontail
Zeke said:
Having been dealing with this issue daily for about 8 years now I’ve learned a few things. The first is a repeat of what my wife and I learned with our babies, watch for rashes and let the skin in the diaper area get as much air as practical. My most important piece of equipment in my opinion is a hand held shower head which gives you access to thoroughly clean the dirty area. At least daily I wash my diaper area and if you mess your diaper often enough it seems as though your skin becomes tougher but still make sure you try various barrier creams and diaper rash ointments with a high percentage of zinc oxide to see which works best and you. As a postscript you may find that the barrier cream and/or diaper rash ointment make cleanup easier
I don't use creams at all hardly anymore. Long ago before getting into proper extended wear products when I was only bladder Incontinent I would use more often as the products like depends do not keep the skin very dry when wet. but as products got better they keep my skin good and dry. I keep some zinc ointment on stand by at the house incase I do start to get a rash, but I found as long as I change in timely a matter and use quality products like Mega max I really do not need them. Also many of those products will break down the glue in the diaper seams and the diaper will come apart around the leg cuffs and leak guards. Of course everyone has what works best for them. I really do not think there is a right or wrong as long as you keep your skin good and healthy. Powders will give me a bladder infection ever time.

FullOfPixels said:
So you just take off your messy diaper and just head straight into shower with no wiping before shower?
That's my technique. Dawn for cleanup and good lotion after.

I use the front part of nappy to get the worst off, then wipes then into shower. It’s never a quick or pleasant job but worth it!

FullOfPixels said:
Yeah I just get straight in the shower when I'm ready to clean up after messing.
Tried using wipes before but for me it makes the clean up take longer and I still need to shower to feel properly clean so now I just get in the shower, take my dirty nappy off and then wash myself clean.

First, a disclosure that I am not incontinent. therefore I mess my diapers volitionally for the intense enjoyment from going poopy in my diaper. I don't mess around others, not even my wife. Messing is done in the early morning solitude just after I get out of bed already wet. I am wet and messy right now as I sit here responding to this thread and won't change for several hours. The process of changing my poopy diaper starts before I mess. When putting on my night diaper I make sure I use Vaseline and baby lotion for skin protection. My changing/cleaning up process is not at all onerous for me and involves the following steps: 1. clean as much poopy with any unused/clean portion of my diaper, 2. adult wipes until clean, usually 2-3 depending on my mess, 3. wash cloth with soap and water, 4. rinse the wash cloth and wipe my diaper area again with just water, 5. pat dry, 6. roll up the soiled diaper and used adult wipes and place in a plastic bag, 6. fresh diaper for wetting during the day, no further messing. The only variations I might have is if I have a really bad diaper blow-out then I change right away, clean up as much as possible, and then shower. I will also change immediately if my mess has migrated to the front of my diaper and is at risk in making contact with my urethra, avoiding the chances of a uti is important. For now, my messy diaper is warm and squishy and staying in the back and bottom of my diaper so that I can enjoy the sensations for awhile before I change. If anyone is interested, this morning's diaper is a Bambino Classico V2 diaper, although I am DL and not AB, I like the print of this diaper. I have quite the bulge in the front from wetting, and my poopy bulge is now "pancaked" from sitting here.

m

Thanks to everybody who responded and gave advice! I greatly appreciate it!
I will respond again in a couple of days with how it went.
Thanks again to everyone!

Reactions: Diaperman95
Back