Adventure bikers

DontKnowDude

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Another post got me thinking. There any other adv bikers on here? Ive got a klr650. Looking forward to some new aluminum panniers this spring! Might do a trip to the adirondack mountians later in the year.

Let's hear what bikes you got and if you've done any awesome trips on them!

Reactions: Kittyinpink
I have a dual sport motorcycle, it's a suzuki dr200 and my only insured vehicle. I have many many kilometers of roads trails and lake systems to explore here, I also use it for work and for hunting.

I have DR650 and I love to go on a long drive and And where a diaper the whole ride

I used to have a KLR600, many moons ago. I loved that bike.
I only recently embraced my DL side so haven't had a chance to try a diapered ride yet, but I will as soon as circumstances and weather permit ;)

I don't use motorcycle.. although I used to do serious bicycle tours.. like four days forward, four days back .. always hugging the English coast.. amazing what we can see at that pace! I love the freedom and almost spiritual experience on the road for days... ( and all the people I bump into in the inevitable pubs!🤣)

Reactions: DontKnowDude
I never had an adventure bike, if I were younger i would have one now, I did ride off road on a couple of Honda XR400's that were also street legal but not where you would want to ride hundreds of miles on a road but they were really great in the woods and i road many many hours on some really technical stuff.

Reactions: Tommy10
2001 SV650S. I know: not an ADV bike. But a bike, none the less. Bought it new, 48,000mi on it. My biggest adv on it was riding from San Diego to Rochester (NY) in three days. I was 22 years old, and looking back I have no idea how I did it lol :)

Reactions: chamberpot
Tommy10 said:
2001 SV650S. I know: not an ADV bike. But a bike, none the less. Bought it new, 48,000mi on it. My biggest adv on it was riding from San Diego to Rochester (NY) in three days. I was 22 years old, and looking back I have no idea how I did it lol :)
I have logged over a quarter of a million miles on motorcycles. a few iron ass awards coast to coast

Reactions: piper23, Zeke, Tommy10 and 3 others
Suzuki 2011 VStrom DL650 set up for touring with Pelican side cases. I’ve ridden out to the Adirondaks, up through northern VT, NH and Maine. Like to explore single tracks but noting too challenging anymore. I got old.

Reactions: Tommy10, DontKnowDude and chamberpot
Harley Davidson. Everything from choppers to cruisers.

Reactions: piper23 and chamberpot
Diaperloverj said:
Harley Davidson. Everything from choppers to cruisers.
I'm not trying to date myself but the 1st Harley I bought brand new cost $2750 a 76 superglide I put 132,000 miles on it only having to do one top end.

Reactions: Zeke, Kittyinpink and Diaperloverj
chamberpot said:
I'm not trying to date myself but the 1st Harley I bought brand new cost $2750 a 76 superglide I put 132,000 miles on it only having to do one top end.
The good old days. That was a nice machine. I'll go ahead and date myself. My first was a used 1954 panhead hydroglide bought for $250 in 1965. In the late 60's I chopped it. I wish I still had that one.

• Love
Reactions: chamberpot
My next purchase will likely be a cruiser. My first bike was an 82 Suzuki gs650. Next one will be a Harley for sure.

Reactions: Diaperloverj
Diaperloverj said:
The good old days. That was a nice machine. I'll go ahead and date myself. My first was a used 1954 panhead hydroglide bought for $250 in 1965. In the late 60's I chopped it. I wish I still had that one.
At 16 my first Harley was also a 54 pan, it had been badly chopped with a long springer front end that handled like shit would get a high speed wobble that was terrifying, only way out was to go faster till it quit. I had that bike only a few years and it was stolen during Loudon bike week in 1972, hope the thief smacked it into a tree and took himself out.

I've got a Concours14 Sport-Touring bike. It's not an adventure bike, but I've certainly gone on some adventures with it! Last year I did a ~2000 mile trip and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah Skyline Drive. The blue ridge parkway was fantastic. I've been throughout new england on it. This summer I'm hoping to get out to Wyoming, rent a bike somewhere, and do Yellowstone.

I’ve had a lot of motorcycles from dual sport bikes to highly modified sport bikes and everything in between but I have found the most enjoyment for me is in pure simplistic bikes such as a supermotos. Currently on a heavily modded KTM 525EXC as my primary bike. Not many creature comforts but they put one heck of smile on my face when ripping through some switch backs or just goon riding with a group throughout the back alleys of the city… I know not the safest on public streets ect. So please no lectures.

CLPP said:
Suzuki 2011 VStrom DL650 set up for touring with Pelican side cases. I’ve ridden out to the Adirondaks, up through northern VT, NH and Maine. Like to explore single tracks but noting too challenging anymore. I got old.

Shout out to the "wee' Strom! Same engine as the SV :). However, being a 2011, you have F.I., where mine has a carb. And the Adirondacks are full of great rides!

chamberpot said:
I have logged over a quarter of a million miles on motorcycles. a few iron ass awards coast to coast
I hope to get to 250k mi, and ALL on my SV :) I've been riding in colder weather more and more (buy the right gear, and you can be somewhat comfy). But, there are at least three months out of the year that riding is impossible for all but the brave/rich/don't-give-a-crap-about-rotting-the-bike-with-road-salt crowd. Of course, the most dedicated would clean said bike daily, but more importantly it's a safety concern: dry salt on a road results in a dynamic surface that manipulates the controllability of my bike in ways I do not prefer. Having been side-swiped at 60mph on an interstate, I can, without pause, say going down is not fun, or at least it seems so as I cannot remember it, nor the 2 hours prior to (HJC "RPHA-11" helmet saved my life - I'm grateful I cannot remember, considering an alternative outcome). Likewise the recovery, skin grafts, lost income, lingering maladies. As such, I make choices about when and where I ride, and those choices work for me. To each rider their own :)

Reactions: CLPP and Diaperloverj
Kittyinpink said:
amazing what we can see at that pace!
Ain't that the truth!

Reactions: Kittyinpink
Well I don't own a full sized motorcycle I do own a 2019 Honda Hunter Cub. I just made my last payment so the title is now in my name. Im excited when the snow melts and I can finally save tons on gas commuting back and forth from work.

xt660 here

Back